Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread 3..**READ 1ST POST Oct 2012**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Dunno why you even bothered to keep that conversation alive as long as you did. I mean, she didn't even read your profile! !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Larianne wrote: »
    Dunno why you even bothered to keep that conversation alive as long as you did. I mean, she didn't even read your profile! !

Thats the thing aswell for me but I'm not a rude person and I just thought it would be nice to let her down gently .

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Well, I'd see it as she was rude enough not to read your profile. Feck that.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Thats the thing aswell for me but I'm not a rude person and I just thought it would be nice to let her down gently .

No such thing as 'letting down gently' in such a situation. The more you mail someone (regardless of intention) that you don't want to meet up with the more you lead them on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Oh you'll learn, young Padawan!

Seriously, if you're not interested, just don't reply. It saves a lot of hassle in the long run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

I'm meeting someone today for coffee. Interesting person and a bit feisty when talking to her. Should be fun.

:D

Also, someone else asked me if I'd like to talk first by video to save a bit of time. Is this normal? Anyone else done this kind of thing before? As daunting as it can be, I kind of like meeting someone in person.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

Rejoined OKC earlier in the week and have received more messages in a couple of days than I did for months before all thanks to a silly profile picture.

This must be what being a pretty girl feels like. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭kiddums

Is the POF app playing up for anyone else?
    I can't edit my profile on it, when it decides to connect that is.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,153 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

kiddums wrote: »
    Is the POF app playing up for anyone else?
    I can't edit my profile on it, when it decides to connect that is.

It's told me several times this week that is it down for maintenance or cannot connect to the server.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,153 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

riveratom wrote: »
    Yep, both Match and Cupid Rocks are good.

I've seen you mentin CupidRocks a couple of times before - I signed up that that when it was brand new and really didn't like it. As far as I remember I could not do anything without paying for a subscription? But how could I tell if it was worht the money without being able to do or see anything?
    At the time I wasn't committed enough to paying for a service (still am not signed up to a paying one, though I have in the past). Is it worth giving another go?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Larianne wrote: »
    ... and within 10 minutes of being on the site, with nothing more than the bare minimum details filled out...

I'm sure there are guys who just automatically check for 'Who's New'. Kinda like they want first dibs on someone new to the site.
    ...Also, someone else asked me if I'd like to talk first by video to save a bit of time...

My biggest objection to this would be I, like most people, look horrific on Skype/ webcams.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Also, someone else asked me if I'd like to talk first by video to save a bit of time. Is this normal? Anyone else done this kind of thing before? As daunting as it can be, I kind of like meeting someone in person.

Yeah, I was asked a few times. I don't Skype, though. I look like Charlize Theron in "Monster" on camera.

cantdecide wrote: »
    My biggest objection to this would be I, like most people, look horrific on Skype/ webcams.

Yes, I think the worst bit is that you can see yourself, it feels a bit weird!

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Yeah, I was asked a few times. I don't Skype, though. I look like Charlize Theron in "Monster" on camera.

This! Its because you can see yourself in the corner isnt it?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,038 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Aquila wrote: »
    Im in the same situation wondering is it worth it!

When asking about a site, i'd say to take location into account as well. Like I've seen OKCupid mentioned here a few times, yet I signed up and only have about 9 or 10 results in searches around me for 50km. So it's not great for around Letterkenny. I'm sure most sites are the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭kiddums

CastorTroy wrote: »
    When asking about a site, i'd say to take location into account as well. Like I've seen OKCupid mentioned here a few times, yet I signed up and only have about 9 or 10 results in searches around me for 50km. So it's not great for around Letterkenny. I'm sure most sites are the same.
    Your obviously looking at a different range than me, I'm only seeing 5.

Ok, so I met someone for coffee at lunch. Couple of things, she was obviously very very nervous, and she made it clear that she liked me, a lot, and made it clear that she wants to see me again. On my side, I think she is really nice, and attractive, I just wasn't expecting someone to be as forward. But on the other hand, she seemed really down to earth and easy to talk to and I definitely enjoyed spending time with her. It was nice that she was nervous in a way and I think it would be good to meet again. Found myself caught between thinking that maybe she wants something more, a bit quicker than I would have expected (but this could have been the nerves) but not been too put off by this.

Thoughts anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭KamiKazeKitten

Maguined wrote: »
    Rejoined OKC earlier in the week and have received more messages in a couple of days than I did for months before all thanks to a silly profile picture.

Moral of the story: listen to me! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

I'm meeting someone today for coffee. Interesting person and a bit feisty when talking to her. Should be fun.

This has happened to me ... I just always say sorry I don't have a cam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper

So she then messaged me back asking why . So I messaged he back

Never ends well. It's just an opportunity for them to plead or hurl abuse back because their feelings were hurt.

It's different if it's something they can address like "Your pictures are blurry and darkly lit" or "Your profile is two sentences long" or something like that. "We're not compatible" though is a hard sell.

Ok, so I met someone for coffee at lunch. Couple of things, she was obviously very very nervous, and she made it clear that she liked me, a lot, and made it clear that she wants to see me again. On my side, I think she is really nice, and attractive, I just wasn't expecting someone to be as forward. But on the other hand, she seemed really down to earth and easy to talk to and I definitely enjoyed spending time with her. It was nice that she was nervous in a way and I think it would be good to meet again. Found myself caught between thinking that maybe she wants something more, a bit quicker than I would have expected (but this could have been the nerves) but not been too put off by this.

Thoughts anyone?
    A girl who you like, likes you too. Brilliant! Organise to meet her again before you over-analyse things and ruin it for yourself :D

(Assuming she didn't ask for your hand in marriage or anything over coffee :P)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

miamee wrote: »
    A girl who you like, likes you too. Brilliant! Organise to meet her again before you over-analyse things and ruin it for yourself :D

That would be my take on it too , go for it because judging by what you are saying about her plenty of men wouldn't think twice about wanting to see her again .

Janey mac, got a message from a guy on POF "Hi I'm X, are you free to chat, howe about dinner" and a pic attached. Checked his profile, nothing much filled in apart from "can I fill this in later - I'm new" for all of the blurby bits about yourself, your life etc so replied asking him to tell me a bit about himself, what are his interests etc. His reply: "xxx"

Helpful :rolleyes:...what was the point in that? Such a waste of time :mad:

No, no hands of marriage request! Plenty of hugs though at the beginning and end, and I'm sure a bit more if I wanted if that makes sense. I am trying not to over analyse it. I am cautious though. And you are probably right in saying meet up again. I've told her I'd like to so that we can get to know each other a bit better. So I'll take it from there.

:)

No, no hands of marriage request! Plenty of hugs though at the beginning and end, and I'm sure a bit more if I wanted if that makes sense. I am trying not to over analyse it. I am cautious though. And you are probably right in saying meet up again. I've told her I'd like to so that we can get to know each other a bit better. So I'll take it from there.

:)

Well hopefully the nerves will have calmed a bit second time round. Exciting times! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,038 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

kiddums wrote: »
    Your obviously looking at a different range than me, I'm only seeing 5.

Age 26-33. Don't think I had any other criteria. Maybe was less than 9. just remember the only one who didn't have kids was married.

Well hopefully the nerves will have calmed a bit second time round. Exciting times! :)

Yes, hopefully, we'll see!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

Hmm thought I had a date arranged for Monday, was just waiting for them to confirm and decide a time but not contact since we discussed it last weekend.....pity seemed really nice :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Armaghmagic

POF date tonight. She seems really nice, is goodlooking, intelligent and best of all she seems genuinely interested in meeting and chatting to me. Kick off is at 7pm....will give you the post date analysis!! :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement