Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread 3..**READ 1ST POST Oct 2012**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,153 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Hmm thought I had a date arranged for Monday, was just waiting for them to confirm and decide a time but not contact since we discussed it last weekend.....pity seemed really nice :(

have you made contact and heard nothing back or waiting to be contacted? If you really like this person, might be worth a quick breezy email/text to ask what the story is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

miamee wrote: »
    have you made contact and heard nothing back or waiting to be contacted? If you really like this person, might be worth a quick breezy email/text to ask what the story is?

Yep did that, no reply! Ah well I'll give it until tonight then write it off as bad luck.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,153 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Yep did that, no reply! Ah well I'll give it until tonight then write it off as bad luck.

Ah right - that's a pity but I wouldn't send any more either. Hopefully they have just been manically busy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

So I have just started using OKC. On a few occasions I have tried contacting women only to get a message saying she's out of message storage. Then it asks for my credit card details in order to send her a message. WTF is that all about? So far I'm not liking the look of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    So I have just started using OKC. On a few occasions I have tried contacting women only to get a message saying she's out of message storage. Then it asks for my credit card details in order to send her a message. WTF is that all about? So far I'm not liking the look of this.

I have to be honest, I have NEVER seen that on OKC while I was on it. That sounds worrying. :confused:

• Advertisement

LyndaMcL wrote: »
    I have to be honest, I have NEVER seen that on OKC while I was on it. That sounds worrying. :confused:

I've noticed it only comes up on the good looking girls profiles because they get the most messages and only reply very selectively apparently. It's like you have to pay to contact the attractive women. Feck that.

I've noticed it only comes up on the good looking girls profiles because they get the most messages and only reply very selectively apparently. It's like you have to pay to contact the attractive women. Feck that.

Guess I'm not a dog so, nobody had any issues messaging me when I was on it. :pac:

LyndaMcL wrote: »
    Guess I'm not a dog so, nobody had any issues messaging me when I was on it. :pac:

Did your inbox ever get full? It says that she needs to delete some of her messages before I can message her, yet its still possible to contact her if I hand over my credit card details. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭missrandomer

Did your inbox ever get full? It says that she needs to delete some of her messages before I can message her, yet its still possible to contact her if I hand over my credit card details. :rolleyes:

ah so this is why i get no messages anymore huh!!
    joke!!
    that sounds a bit funny, ive never seen that, have you paid for anything on okc or just using it as a free site.

my inbox is not full, but for some reason the past week and a half its gone so quiet :(

i used to get a couple each day, no i havent logged in a few days and i only got one and he wasnt even serious, a joker i think.

Wonder what ive done to make it change so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

Is that an A-list feature when you upgrade your membership? I'd never heard of it but if a girl is getting that many messages, wouldn't it be hard to make an impression even if you could message her?

• Advertisement

Oh yeah, I used to just delete messages though.

Also... That awkward moment when your old boss finds you on POF. His profile says he doesn't want any kind of commitment or relationship, but after laughing over teh fact that we're both on the site, he tells me he IS looking for a relationship, then asks me for a drink. :pac::pac::pac::pac: Totally awkward!

I find OKC incredibly quiet too. Admittedly I don't spend a lot of time on it either or send very many messages but way quieter than POF unfortunately.

Davey, I've never seen that either to be honest. I must not be contacting any of the most popular guys :P

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Ok, so I met someone for coffee at lunch. Couple of things, she was obviously very very nervous, and she made it clear that she liked me, a lot, and made it clear that she wants to see me again. On my side, I think she is really nice, and attractive, I just wasn't expecting someone to be as forward. But on the other hand, she seemed really down to earth and easy to talk to and I definitely enjoyed spending time with her. It was nice that she was nervous in a way and I think it would be good to meet again. Found myself caught between thinking that maybe she wants something more, a bit quicker than I would have expected (but this could have been the nerves) but not been too put off by this.

Thoughts anyone?

I wouldn't write her off yet. She may have just got excited as she met someone who she liked?? A rare occurance! Plus, you say she was very nervous which might have added to that excitement.

I think I have been guilty in the past of being quite forward with guys. The jury's out on whether guys approve of this or not (going by my guy friends opinions). So I don't do it anymore. :cool:

I haven't paid for anything on OKC. I only started using it today as a free site. It's like a red window that pops up saying she's out of storage, then the auld mastercard option pops up saying I can message her if I pay. Strange.

Yeah I'm finding the pickings very slim on it too. No replies yet. I think POF is better tbh which is not saying much.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Logged back on to OKC after a few weeks... think I'll pack it in altogether:rolleyes: I just got a cold shiver looking at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭riveratom

Going to be giving the OD a nice clean break and hiding/deleting the profiles from mid-next week, after I see if a couple of things I have on the go (if you could call it that) pan out.

Girl 1 - asked her out but she seems hesitant
    Girl 2 - had been emailing, she went on hols, I emailed and no reply, then get a reply a few days later, ask her out - silence!
    Girl 3 - all looking good, she went on hols for a long weekend, we had arranged to meet up after she got back, that was a week ago and nothing since she left.

I definitely need a break from it as it's becoming wayyy too samey and repetitive.

-Email and get no reply
    -Email and get a reply, few emails, then nowt
    -Email and arrange a date, go on one or two dates
    -Get the inevitable 'don't think there's a spark' text, or send it myself
    -Rinse and repeat

Time for a nice break and to go back to a non OD-life methinks!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

riveratom wrote: »
    Going to be giving the OD a nice clean break and hiding/deleting the profiles from mid-next week, after I see if a couple of things I have on the go (if you could call it that) pan out.

Girl 1 - asked her out but she seems hesitant
    Girl 2 - had been emailing, she went on hols, I emailed and no reply, then get a reply a few days later, ask her out - silence!
    Girl 3 - all looking good, she went on hols for a long weekend, we had arranged to meet up after she got back, that was a week ago and nothing since she left.

I definitely need a break from it as it's becoming wayyy too samey and repetitive.

-Email and get no reply
    -Email and get a reply, few emails, then nowt
    -Email and arrange a date, go on one or two dates
    -Get the inevitable 'don't think there's a spark' text, or send it myself
    -Rinse and repeat

Time for a nice break and to go back to a non OD-life methinks!

That's a fair summary of things alright (except without the one or two dates:rolleyes:). Despite the comfort zone issue, I actually do better IRL despite me protestations. So as above I think I'll be happy to cut it adrift at this stage too.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭riveratom

cantdecide wrote: »
    That's a fair summary of things alright (except without the one or two dates:rolleyes:). Despite the comfort zone issue, I actually do better IRL despite me protestations. So as above I think I'll be happy to cut it adrift at this stage too.

Oh, I almost never meet women IRL. I just mean I'll be cheerfully continuing with my ever-single status away from the computer!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

Larianne wrote: »
    I wouldn't write her off yet. She may have just got excited as she met someone who she liked?? A rare occurance! Plus, you say she was very nervous which might have added to that excitement.

I think I have been guilty in the past of being quite forward with guys. The jury's out on whether guys approve of this or not (going by my guy friends opinions). So I don't do it anymore. :cool:

Yes, she was definitely quite forward. In her defense, this wasn't the first time we had spoken, we had been talking for a bit by text and she had suggested she liked me but was afraid that this wouldn't translate to when we met. The impression I got from her today was almost that she was surprised that she liked me so much in real life! Haha. Does that sound strange?

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

*THINKING* of delving back in soon, but can't bear the thought of wading through all the messers. So I'm considering a paid site fo a while to see if it is a better experience all around.
    Any recommendations?
    Also, how much should one expect to be shelling out for such a service?

• Advertisement

Galvasean wrote: »
    *THINKING* of delving back in soon, but can't bear the thought of wading through all the messers. So I'm considering a paid site fo a while to see if it is a better experience all around.
    Any recommendations?
    Also, how much should one expect to be shelling out for such a service?

I'd suggest doing a search online for reviews of the sites. There'd be loads of top 10s or best sites on the internet reviews. They tend to give a good bit of info on the profile of people on each site. I'd say the responses you'd get here wouldn't really give you an accurate view of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭randox

I've had a paid membership on anotherfriend.com and match.com. Didn't think Match was great but have had 2 relationships from AF over the past couple of years. But to be honest there are messers on paid sites too. You can join AF without paying but you can't give out contact details unless you are a premium member. And they ban you at the drop of a hat if they think you are trying to break the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,313 ✭✭✭Ankhyu

Back from date 6, and lo and behold, I was too shy to ask where I stand. Also probably half afraid of the answer. I may have to resort to a text, which I hate doing, but it could be another while before we get to meet again :/

Ankhyu wrote: »
    Back from date 6, and lo and behold, I was too shy to ask where I stand. Also probably half afraid of the answer. I may have to resort to a text, which I hate doing, but it could be another while before we get to meet again :/

Date 6?? Thats nearly moving in together territory!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,313 ✭✭✭Ankhyu

Date 6?? Thats nearly moving in together territory!

Haha, slow down now :P Lets not get ahead of ourselves! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Ankhyu wrote: »

Meet up or do it by phone. Its the only way. Just going by a very recent experience with myself. It's very easy for wires to be crossed with text.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Have a date tonight, first in 6 months !! Feeling good about it , we have so much in common :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Armaghmagic

KTRIC wrote: »
    Have a date tonight, first in 6 months !! Feeling good about it , we have so much in common :D

All the best with it KTRIC. Let us know how you get on.

Personally last nights date went extremely well. Met her off the bus, took her for a drink and then left her back into the city for her bus. Only I was up at 6am this morning I would have stayed longer.

She was everything I had hoped and if another plan falls through I am going outdoor swimming with her tomorrow. Thought it best to get it out of the way.....if she isn't turned off by my flabby gut or abnormal back hair then its marriage material :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Nothing really lined up here but got chatting to a nice girl on POF last night. Whether it leads to us swapping numbers and meeting up is another matter.

I got a mail from a girl on OKCupid the other day and all it said was "hi". I sent her a reply and got no response, even though she' been online since. :confused:

• Advertisement

cantdecide wrote: »
    Despite the comfort zone issue, I actually do better IRL despite me protestations.
    riveratom wrote: »
    Oh, I almost never meet women IRL. I just mean I'll be cheerfully continuing with my ever-single status away from the computer!

This is interesting and really got me thinking. It's been over 4 years since I went on a date with someone I met IRL, and that was someone I met in work. I've never met anyone on a night out, except for the occasional shift in a night club. It's certainly not the norm here to approach random strangers in public and ask them out. That doesn't leave too many options. I wonder are international dating sites the way to go?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement