Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread 3..**READ 1ST POST Oct 2012**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Larianne wrote: »
    Hmmmm....
    So you don't know much about him, messages are quite short, you agreed to meet up, his reply to that was "looking for sex?" And he has his profession as model..?? All sounds a bit, er, fishy to me!
    Being honest?? Sure don't we all want a bit of sex? Why would you ask that question unless anticipating sex on the first date. I'd be put off meeting up.
    Totally agree with this.

I'm inclined to agree with this (...completely). Hope I'm wrong of course but just put yourself first here, Miamee...

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

That_Guy, I too am disappointed to see you back on OD. Not because I care for you. Oh no. I'm much more selfish than that. I know now for a fact that with you on the OD prowl I will have to work twice as hard to get girls' attention!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I've been messaging random women on POF telling them random facts about dinosaurs. 0% success rate so far. Bear with me, I'm still new to this online dating lark. This usually works for me in pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Relax a bit and try not to try too hard, let things happen naturally. If forced it won't happen but if you want to let it happen you got to let it happen what ever way it flows.

That's quiet cool it breaks the ice when talking about dinosaurs. Maybe do something similar but something they could laugh at a joke that's original? Works in a pub ya but OD is a different environment to a pub?

Has anybody seen my schtick?

• Advertisement

Your what!? :eek:

I am trying to fathom if that's in an old man's accent or something or you being serious?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

dlofnep wrote: »
    I've been messaging random women on POF telling them random facts about dinosaurs. 0% success rate so far. Bear with me, I'm still new to this online dating lark. This usually works for me in pubs.

Who the hell doesn't want to hear more about dinosaurs? :eek:

Ya sure you can ask have you seen the new dino show in belfast and that be on in the o2 soon.:D

Make them interesting...will grab some ones attention surely! Add a joke I suppose?

doovdela wrote: »
    Your what!? :eek:

I am trying to fathom if that's in an old man's accent or something or you being serious?

I was gonna say 'my thing' but that could be equally misinterpreted, so here is how the dictionary describes it:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/schtick?s=t

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

LyndaMcL wrote: »
    Who the hell doesn't want to hear more about dinosaurs? :eek:

Oh Lynda, you charmer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

Joined match.com. What an infuriating website. No matter how many times I select that I want girls in Dublin, it flings girls from all sorts of places at me.

Very awkward website to use.

EDIT: And that's it. I individually filtered out girls I didn't fancy who lived in Dublin and were within the age range I defined, and I have no more matches.

Jeepers. I don't think internet dating is for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Piliger wrote: »
    Any girl who asks me if I am looking for sex - I run a mile from, as fast as possible. She is clearly in a very bad place for dating.

Oh sorry, I forgot that females can't just want sex, only guys want it.

Jesus... we do live in the 21st century, girls are just as entitled to an active sex life as guys are, and also have the option of NSA or a friends with benefits situation.
    Being honest?? Sure don't we all want a bit of sex? Why would you ask that question unless anticipating sex on the first date. I'd be put off meeting up.

Well I can't speak for you, but yes there are times when it suits or is nice to just have something physical.
    Personally speaking, I see no offense or bad intent in what the guy did - sex shouldn't be hidden away and shied away from. But each to their own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

My female friend in work has just started online dating. I told her about POF and helped her set up her profile yesterday. God… what an eye opener! Without even uploading any photos she had 6 messages. It was pretty much a blank profile at this stage. She filled in her information and uploaded 2 photos. Now this girl is decent looking, nothing special, fairly average I would say… but jasus the messages were flying in. Within 2 hours of creating her profile she had over 50 messages. She couldn’t keep up.

What was interesting is that most of the messages, (at least 80% anyway) were the same old “Hi, how are you? “Hey sexy, how’s things?” type of messages. It amazes me how many guys put no effort into their messages. It was interesting looking at it from a female perspective I have to say. But even with say the 20% of guys who do make an effort, that’s still a lot of options compared to a guy who might get a few messages a week.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

cantdecide wrote: »
    I'm inclined to agree with this (...completely). Hope I'm wrong of course but just put yourself first here, Miamee...

I will of course, thanks cantdecide & Larianne. He has been the one driving a meeting, no numbers have been exchanged or time/place organised so I am not chasing anything here. If I don't hear from him now he knows where I stand then we'll know why!

In good news, OKC seems to have picked up for me this week, chatting to a couple of nice guys at the moment :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Galvasean wrote: »
    That_Guy, I too am disappointed to see you back on OD. Not because I care for you. Oh no. I'm much more selfish than that. I know now for a fact that with you on the OD prowl I will have to work twice as hard to get girls' attention!

Don't worry mate, I won't be back for a while anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Oh sorry, I forgot that females can't just want sex, only guys want it.

Jesus... we do live in the 21st century, girls are just as entitled to an active sex life as guys are, and also have the option of NSA or a friends with benefits situation.

Well I can't speak for you, but yes there are times when it suits or is nice to just have something physical.
    Personally speaking, I see no offense or bad intent in what the guy did - sex shouldn't be hidden away and shied away from. But each to their own.

But you would select 'Intimate Encounter' not 'Dating' or 'Looking for a relationship' status on your profile if that's what the guy is after. (I'm assuming that's what miamee has down).

Personally, if I wanted a one night stand, I wouldn't be looking on a dating site. Easier just going out on a Friday/Saturday night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

Personally, if I wanted a one night stand, I wouldn't be looking on a dating site. Easier just going out on a Friday/Saturday night.

It's easier for some. :)

God, those profiles that read along the lines of
    "i have to write more cause i need four more sentences so il just keep saying the same thing over and over until this thinks im writing loads of real interesting things about myself, that should do it ,,................."
    do my head in. How in the living feck do these people expect to get a half decent message show up in their inbox when they literally offer NOTHING in the way of a starting point?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

God, those profiles that read along the lines of
    "i have to write more cause i need four more sentences so il just keep saying the same thing over and over until this thinks im writing loads of real interesting things about myself, that should do it ,,................."
    do my head in. How in the living feck do these people expect to get a half decent message show up in their inbox when they literally offer NOTHING in the way of a starting point?

They are dreadfully lazy people with no imagination, flair or creativity. Well that's all I can assume anyway :D I give them a wide, wide berth.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Its the ones with no pics or info at all in them that really bugs me, why bother setting it up in the first place?? Do they honestly think they will get a date out of it? Id love to know if they do actually get one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Armaghmagic

Date on Friday night. Got chatting to a girl, both had Dublin on our profiles but turns out both are from Dundalk.

So I thought "why not?" and asked her to go bowling and a drink in Drogheda and she seems keen. Bit out of the blue but I'm happy. Seems we can't go anywhere that doesn't begin with a D either!

Just a bit of an update as to where I am with that gal I had been chatting to (and subsequently asked if she'd like to meet up for a date this week). Got that dreaded, "I don't think I know you well enough" response. She asked if I could send her my facebook to make sure I was legit so I did. That was yesterday and haven't heard anything back yet. Hopefully she will get back to me before too long. I've mailed upward of 15 people since getting back into POF a few days ago and she's the only one to reply so far (another 4 popped up in 'viewed me' and one deleted her profile - ah well). It'd be nice to secure an actual date from a dating site. Only for the fact that people n here seem capable of organising dates, I would have thought it had become impossible!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

Had a late cancellation earlier, which is in fact the second cancellation, although the first time I got a message the night before.

Benefit of the doubt time again?

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Had a late cancellation earlier, which is in fact the second cancellation, although the first time I got a message the night before.

Second cancellation from the same person? Next!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Second cancellation from the same person? Next!

Ah, I think I'll have a bit of fun with this one and ask her again.

Sooo. Was asked on a date, but I'm really busy for the next week and a half with music stuff, auditions and gigs mainly. I told the guy that, he said it's not an issue, so date next weekend. :)

Also, ended up video chatting on Skype to another guy for 5 hours last night, from midnight til 5am! Date coming from that corner too. :)

Anyone got any dates coming up?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I had to cancel on a guy, twice before. Not intentionally. Just got sick and then my friend had a bit of a melt down and I had to go to the rescue. I think if the person is eager to reschedule its alright. No explanation or effort to reschedule the date, I wouldn't bother.

Turned out no spark between the fella and me, so I guess he was thinking why did he bother. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭missrandomer

ok my rant for today is.....

Why do same person keep messaging you with same message over and over and over and ok you get the picture

messages are so copy and paste "hi how are you, im bla bla your hot" and along that line...

one new message... open.... "you again" :confused::confused:

Its so anoying

Ball is firmly in her court now. You shouldn't be the one who has to chase like some kind of a dog after a car.

• Advertisement

Ball is firmly in her court now. You shouldn't be the one who has to chase like some kind of a dog after a car.

Couldn't agree more. I'd wait til she contacts you and initiates the prospect of a date. Up to you whether or not you go, but let her do the arrangements.

Also, seriously, guys are like buses. Just got asked out on by a third guy. :confused: How do people manage this? I normally don't multi-date (not that I'm generally in enough demand to do it anyway! :pac: )

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement