Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread 3..**READ 1ST POST Oct 2012**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Armaghmagic

Ballymena girl has been given the heave-Ho! Been a month since i asked her out and nothing has happened.

She may be busy but I told her that no-one is that busy to afford a molecule of manners!

Slán my nordie friend!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

LyndaMcL wrote: »
    If nothing else, I am getting a lot of entertainment from re-joining POF!
    Honestly, if I could come up with a non-time consuming way to share the ridiculous messages I sometimes get, I'd love to do it. Some of them are just too hilarious to be read by just me :pac: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

miamee wrote: »
    Honestly, if I could come up with a non-time consuming way to share the ridiculous messages I sometimes get, I'd love to do it. Some of them are just too hilarious to be read by just me :pac: :D

Facebook group! that would actually be pretty good.

Or an entire thread devoted to it in After Hours. "You Date You Lose"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

I'd say I get at least three absolutely hilarious messages per day. I would post them all here, but then, along with my normal posts about dates and stuff, I'd be forever clogging up this thread!

Facebook group sounds awesome, but I wouldn't join it. Don't want my parents knowing I'm doing OD for the moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

I'd say I get at least three absolutely hilarious messages per day. I would post them all here, but then, along with my normal posts about dates and stuff, I'd be forever clogging up this thread!

Facebook group sounds awesome, but I wouldn't join it. Don't want my parents knowing I'm doing OD for the moment!

Post two or three of them every so often as one message here. Would be worth a laugh and also might help me feel not so stupid.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

sffc wrote: »
    A trick is to set the alarm on your phone . Make sure it sounds like a typical text or ringtone

Honestly, I don't think anybody actually falls for that.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Maguined wrote: »
    Facebook group! that would actually be pretty good.

Or an entire thread devoted to it in After Hours. "You Date You Lose"

Post two or three of them every so often as one message here. Would be worth a laugh and also might help me feel not so stupid.

:D

Leave it with me, I'll think of something :D :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

sffc wrote: »
    Personally I wouldn't meet someone I hadnt spoken to on the phone for at least five minutes . You get a unique good idea of whether you will get on from such a chat.

This x1,000. You'd be amazed at the horror some people on this thread expressed when it was suggested that you swap numbers with someone before you meet, though.

Really? I've never had a phone conversation as a precursor to an online date. In fact no one I've ever dated from online has suggested it.
    I don't see what's to fear from swapping numbers though, as its possible to block someone's number without any hassle these days (only a few years ago you had to make an official complaint to the Gardaí before you could do that).

Oooooh, POF has a new feature where you rate photos. It's not a thing of rating people's looks though. You get options:
    'Approve'
    'Reject/Delete'
    'Shirtless Photo/Delete'
    'Nude/Delete'
    'Cartoon/Delete'
    'Needs Cropping'

Based on what many of the ladies are saying on thread, the third and fourth option may come in very handy indeed!
    First picture it shows me is of a bicycle. Second is a flower. Dafug???

• Advertisement

Galvasean wrote: »
    Oooooh, POF has a new feature where you rate photos. It's not a thing of rating people's looks though. You get options:
    'Approve'
    'Reject/Delete'
    'Shirtless Photo/Delete'
    'Nude/Delete'
    'Cartoon/Delete'
    'Needs Cropping'

Based on what many of the ladies are saying on thread, the third and fourth option may come in very handy indeed!

I can't see that and I'm logged in at the moment. Disappointed! I want to go rate pictures!

'Approve'
    'Reject/Delete'
    'Shirtless Photo/Delete'
    'Nude/Delete'
    'Cartoon/Delete'
    'Needs Cropping'

Sounds like they are looking for members to do quality checks on the photos so they don't have to. Remember when you'd have to wait for your photo to bre approved before it would appear on a profile? (not on POF, can't remember which ones now tbh)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,039 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

'Approve'
    'Reject/Delete'
    'Shirtless Photo/Delete'
    'Nude/Delete'
    'Cartoon/Delete'
    'Needs Cropping'

No option for "No photo"?

I can't see that and I'm logged in at the moment. Disappointed! I want to go rate pictures!

Hmm, maybe they just gave me the option as I have reported a few photos that are in breach of the rules over the last few days...
    "This'll keep him busy!"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,313 ✭✭✭Ankhyu

CastorTroy wrote: »
    No option for "No photo"?

I assume they only show you actual photos, and it's not like you can ask POF to do something about people with no profile photos as it's a legitimate option in your settings.

Think it's just to filter out all the inappropriate photos/photos not of the person in question.

Well my Thursday evening date has been put off for now. To be honest, partly my own fault for forgetting I had an appointment after work which left me with only an hour this evening. As it turns out he was off to the cinema at 5 so didn't suit him...another time perhaps :)

Things are looking up!

Got a message that was really funny and interesting to read, ended up chatting to the guy for a bit. Turns out he's a guitarist in a band I know and actually really like (and have been to see several times), and I've actually spoken to him in person a few times (albeit while drunk), so looks like this one isn't a total weirdo! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭riveratom

I've had to cancel two dates. :eek:

One guy seemed really nice, exchanging long messages, chatty, interesting and funny. As soon as I agree to a date, it changed a bit! I wasn't online for about 14 hours, and when I came back, I was going through all my messages and replying to the ones I hadn't replied to. While going through these messages, I basically get a message from him, demanding that I reply to him. Considering I had left it two days between replying at times when I was busy, and he had been cool with it, I was surprised. I told him that I'd been offline and was getting through my messages and had every intention of replying to him in the next few minutes. Queue him getting annoyed that I'd reply to other messages, not just him. Alarm bells! :eek:

Second guy announces to me after agreeing to a date that he has no friends and basically no life outside of computer games, no soial life, nothing. More alarm bells! :eek:

I'm actually starting to just find this funny. Two dates cancelled before we'd even swapped numbers, lol. Maybe I'm being a bit cautious, but I'd rather cancel than go if I feel uncomfortable. Sucks, but oh well!

Gosh damn! Time to trot out the old 'bullet dodged' again!

On another note, does anyone actually get replies to emails they send to people they like the look of on POF? I know girls get bombarded on there, but seriously like?

I do have about 20 messages on there, read but not replied to, from girls I unfortunately don't fancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Things are looking up! Got a message that was really funny and interesting to read, ended up chatting to the guy for a bit. Turns out he's a guitarist in a band I know and actually really like (and have been to see several times), and I've actually spoken to him in person a few times (albeit while drunk), so looks like this one isn't a total weirdo! :D
    Hope he's not the one I went with on a date the other night...

andreac wrote: »
    Hope he's not the one I went with on a date the other night...

Oh god... If it was really bad, feel free to PM me a username to save me!

• Advertisement

riveratom wrote: »
    On another note, does anyone actually get replies to emails they send to people they like the look of on POF? I know girls get bombarded on there, but seriously like?

Well, I only message girls I find attractive (don't see much point otherwise). Perhaps I'm only being attracted to girls a whole bunch of others find attractive these days because the response ratio is getting pathetically low (it was nowhere near so low in the past).
    Have I become more picky in terms of looks? Are there many more men on OD sites these days mailing women, meaning you're less likely to get a response due to the sheer volume of mail they recieve? Have i simply lost my mojo? Will Galvasean ever get a date? Tune in same galv-time, same galv-channel! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭missrandomer

Well, I only message girls I find attractive (don't see much point otherwise). Perhaps I'm only being attracted to girls a whole bunch of others find attractive these days because the response ratio is getting pathetically low (it was nowhere near so low in the past).
    Have I become more picky in terms of looks? Are there many more men on OD sites these days mailing women, meaning you're less likely to get a response due to the sheer volume of mail they recieve? Have i simply lost my mojo? Will Galvasean ever get a date? Tune in same galv-time, same galv-channel! :cool:

I dont think you've lost your mojo, if your messages are anything like they are on here then i dont see why you dont get reply's cause your always hillarious on here in fairness.

Question for you guys, im messaging a guy in pof, he dosent have a profile pic, but his first message was funny so i replied, so on go the messages.
    Ive mentioned he hasnt got a pic up, but he never said anything back, should i go ahead and ask him for a pic or what should i do.
    And if i do and well he ends up looking like frank gallagher out of shameless what do you do?? im not normally superficial , but there has to be some sort of attraction dont you think

• Registered Users Posts: 5,313 ✭✭✭Ankhyu

I dont think you've lost your mojo, if your messages are anything like they are on here then i dont see why you dont get reply's cause your always hillarious on here in fairness.

Question for you guys, im messaging a guy in pof, he dosent have a profile pic, but his first message was funny so i replied, so on go the messages.
    Ive mentioned he hasnt got a pic up, but he never said anything back, should i go ahead and ask him for a pic or what should i do.
    And if i do and well he ends up looking like frank gallagher out of shameless what do you do?? im not normally superficial , but there has to be some sort of attraction dont you think

Better off asking him sooner rather than later.

That's a tricky one. By in large I find people who actively hide their appearance like that are doing it for no other reason than they are physically unattractive.
    Now, some of (if not the) best looking girls I've chatted to on OD had no public pictures (to avoid their mailboxes being flooded no doubt). The crucial difference being, when it is an attractive person they'll be happy/quick enough to share a photo with you (usually without having to be asked).

Yeah...to be honest when your mail is in with maybe up to 50 or 60 others it's prob a long shot you'll get a reply!

Personally, I find a funky sense of humour is vastly overrated in terms of attracting women. This applies to both real life and OD. An awful lot of girls say they are looking for a 'funny guy' or someone with a good sense of humour, but in practice end up going out with dry shytes.

edit: I feel I must elaborate after posting that. For a great many people it is difficult, if not impossible, to be significantly aroused and amused at the same time (there have been studies done - worth looking about for those interested). Hence why many women would not find a funny guy attractive, even though they'd ideally like to.

That's a tricky one. By in large I find people who actively hide their appearance like that are doing it for no other reason than they are physically unattractive.
    Now, some of (if not the) best looking girls I've chatted to on OD had no public pictures (to avoid their mailboxes being flooded no doubt). The crucial difference being, when it is an attractive person they'll be happy/quick enough to share a photo with you (usually without having to be asked).

I'm always very wary of no-photo profiles for the above reason...imo everyone should have a photo up, fair's fair and what's the point otherwise!

riveratom wrote: »
    I'm always very wary of no-photo profiles for the above reason...imo everyone should have a photo up, fair's fair and what's the point otherwise!

Well I suppose if you're fantastically fabulous looking and don't want to receive a gazillion penis mails a day then you could put up your profile sans pic, then mail only people you are interested in and attach pics with your initial mail.

Well I suppose if you're fantastically fabulous looking and don't want to receive a gazillion penis mails a day then you could put up your profile sans pic, then mail only people you are interested in and attach pics with your initial mail.

Yeah that's true alright.

In fact, that's what I do.

Kidding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭missrandomer

Personally, I find a funky sense of humour is vastly overrated in terms of attracting women. This applies to both real life and OD. An awful lot of girls say they are looking for a 'funny guy' or someone with a good sense of humour, but in practice end up going out with dry shytes.

edit: I feel I must elaborate after posting that. For a great many people it is difficult, if not impossible, to be significantly aroused and amused at the same time (there have been studies done - worth looking about for those interested). Hence why many women would not find a funny guy attractive, even though they'd ideally like to.

Well im surprised to be honest. Im more likely to reply to a funny/ random message than to your typical hi how are you type messages.

I can see what you mean about people being in different moods at any one time, but surly a funny message thats a bit random but makes you smile would more likely catch your attention. (maby thats where im going wrong, my username will be my demise :D:D)

And also on the no photo thing, yep i think you's are right, if he was comfortable about the way he looked then he would attach it to the mail even.

Didnt think of it like that, thanks guys (il get it right soon hopefully)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement