Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread 3..**READ 1ST POST Oct 2012**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭ladylost

I found OKC better but not enough people on it in my area. Those on seemed more genuine. Although in fairness anyone I have met from POF has been genuine too but the amount of time wasting messages on POF is a total pain!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Varied

ladylost wrote: »
    I found OKC better but not enough people on it in my area. Those on seemed more genuine. Although in fairness anyone I have met from POF has been genuine too but the amount of time wasting messages on POF is a total pain!

Yea it's that **** that is ruining it for the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Have only ever gotten responses from people on anotherfriend.com but unless you pay you can't give them any details. Just banned me outright for typing a message with skype details there. So the acct is locked until i pay, which im not gonna do. Either the person im chatting to is working for them or their message filter is hella aggressive as it happened within seconds of sending.

What I see happening is that i'll pay then the person will never return any messages again then ill be pissed off something awful so i'm not gonna do that. I'm wondering if there is any way to get around it is if is indeed a script that's checking the messages and not an actual person.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

mood wrote: »
    I'm shy at first and one man who emailed me on a dating site said he wanted to meet a bubbly, outgoing woman! Why contact me if I can see from my profile I'm shy!!!
    Maybe because sometimes if you have similar interests or are someone he really likes, he may ignore the fact that you are shy. There has been woman on OKC that was a vegetarian (would make restaurant dates fun, as I prefer meat) that had a lot of similar interests so I contacted them. No joy, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Hardonraging

My latest greatest annoyance with POF, your mid conversation, mail going back and forth, and then the other person drops offline, no " i'm off for the night, it's been fun, we should chat again " nothing .. just dead space ( not the game )

You spot them online a day or two later, and wonder, should i say hi..or maybe she/he's replying to my last mail ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Lotusate wrote: »
    Have only ever gotten responses from people on anotherfriend.com but unless you pay you can't give them any details. Just banned me outright for typing a message with skype details there. So the acct is locked until i pay, which im not gonna do. Either the person im chatting to is working for them or their message filter is hella aggressive as it happened within seconds of sending.

The filter on AF is really good - they can catch you on all sorts of things no matter what way you try to get around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Wink

So I've gotten the unexpected willies and the messages that start 'hey sexy...' and the guys who just tell me what they'd like to do to me but today I got my first photo of a guy in a gimp suit. At least I think it was a gimp suit. And I think it was a guy... The joys of OKC!

I do think I have a date tomorrow night though, my first since I broke up with my ex. I'm v nervous but he seems nice. Eek!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,313 ✭✭✭Ankhyu

So had a really good first date with an attractive, really funny guy last night, and he lives quite nearby too! I'll definitely be seeing him again.
    But I'm a bit torn, because i really like the last guy i went on a date with too, he just lives further away. Should i focus on just the most recent guy?
    I don't want to string anyone along, but at the same time I don't wanna be kicking myself about missed opportunities. It's honestly either a feast or a famine. To those of you who are thinking about packing it in, don't! I had nothing for ages and now I have a totally new kind of dilemma!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Ankhyu wrote: »
    So had a really good first date with an attractive, really funny guy last night, and he lives quite nearby too! I'll definitely be seeing him again.
    But I'm a bit torn, because i really like the last guy i went on a date with too, he just lives further away. Should i focus on just the most recent guy?
    I don't want to string anyone along, but at the same time I don't wanna be kicking myself about missed opportunities. It's honestly either a feast or a famine. To those of you who are thinking about packing it in, don't! I had nothing for ages and now I have a totally new kind of dilemma!

How much further is far away? Is it manageable or is it going to be awkward meeting up?

Make your mind up by say the 3 or 4 date, definitely before you sleep with either of the..

Of course, if you dont sleep with either of them, and pick one, it could turn out he's got two left hands, and you picked the wrong guy ..

Is that what internet dating's all about tho ? finding out in advance...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

"May I **** over your pic?"

Just received this in a message on POF. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Wink

Novella wrote: »

That is so disgusting, report!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Go on another date with both and see who you like more. Things can fizzle out after the 2nd/3rd date so no point keeping all your eggs in the one basket etc.

Classy bloke, looking for a rise, literally ??
    Wink wrote: »
    That is so disgusting, report!

Reporting wont do a heck of a lot, better to block him and be done ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Northclare

Isn't it alarming for women who go on dating sites,to have to put up with obscene sick mails,guys being full on etc

Do some of these guy's actually have their face pics in public.

There's something really wrong with someone who behaves like that.

There's a lot to be said for good fashioned dating,such as getting to know someone first

I know a few guy's and women who have split up with their 2nd wife/husband and
    full on living with the new person....

I give up :S

andreac wrote: »
    How much further is far away? Is it manageable or is it going to be awkward meeting up?

He's only an hour and a half away now, but it's awkward enough. That's only for the summer though, after the summer he'll be about 2 and a half hours or even 3 hours away.

Make your mind up by say the 3 or 4 date, definitely before you sleep with either of the..

Of course, if you dont sleep with either of them, and pick one, it could turn out he's got two left hands, and you picked the wrong guy ..

Is that what internet dating's all about tho ? finding out in advance...

Don't say that! You're making me nervous.
    Larianne wrote: »
    Go on another date with both and see who you like more. Things can fizzle out after the 2nd/3rd date so no point keeping all your eggs in the one basket etc.

Yeah I like the way both of you think, I'll spend another date or so with each of them first before I really start tearing my hair out!

Also, woo I figured out how to multi-quote!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Northclare wrote: »
    Isn't it alarming for women who go on dating sites,to have to put up with obscene sick mails,guys being full on etc

Do some of these guy's actually have their face pics in public.

Yesterday a guy sent me a message with not only a picture of his face but also 2 of him lying naked on a bed - one of him on his back and one of him on his front - and a picture of eh, him a little bit excited. That was alarming.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Clitlady

Me too! i took it as a compliment and replied "sure thing!"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

Just because we are about 18 pages in, and not everyone will read the first page, just want to reiterate the guidelines for this thread.

Cheers

DrG
    Panthro wrote: »
    Before posting in this thread, make sure you have read and understood the overall forum charter. The Gentlemens Club, has a specific ethos and purpose, if you can't post within that, then you shouldn't post.

The Online Dating Thread Rules:

(1) No chit chat
    Means NO chit chat that does not relate to Online Dating/Experiences.
    ANY post deemed to be off topic will be deleted and you may face a ban or other sanction.

(2) Off topic Posts

If you see a post that is off topic, do not engage in the discussion, report the post.
    Note-Engaging in off topic discussion may also get you a ban or other sanction.

(3) This thread IS NOT for a place to pick up
    Do not come in here to pick up a boardsie, your posts will be deleted. If in the Mods view, this is why you have come to our forum, then you will end up banned, possibly permanently.
    Similarly, this is not a thread in which to learn the art of "Picking up" someone. It is against the Charter of the forum, therefore it carries a Permanent Ban.

(4) Your Online Dating Profile

Please do not ask for other boardsies to view your Online Dating Profile on thread. They clog up the thread and cause off topic discussion.
    If you do wish for a certain poster to view your Online Dating Profile, please use the PM function and ask the poster you wish to view your profile if they would mind obliging.

(5) Be civil to your fellow boardsies
    There is a zero toleration policy on posts deemed to be in any way derogatory/offensive.

(6) A Mod's decision IS FINAL.
    Ignorance of this warning is not an excuse.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I'm sort of trying to wean myself off POF. I kind of had the realisation that it has all the hallmarks of an addiction - I feel the need to frequently use it but even when I do, I don't get much/any satisfaction or enjoyment out of it :pac:

Just employing that well worn mantra now... "I'll just wait a day or two more to see if that person replies and if not, I'm DEFINITELY deleting my profile..." :)

Or is it just me who thinks like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭dub5

G-Money wrote: »
    I'm sort of trying to wean myself off POF. I kind of had the realisation that it has all the hallmarks of an addiction - I feel the need to frequently use it but even when I do, I don't get much/any satisfaction or enjoyment out of it :pac:

Just employing that well worn mantra now... "I'll just wait a day or two more to see if that person replies and if not, I'm DEFINITELY deleting my profile..." :)

Or is it just me who thinks like that!

I agree that it is addictive, well at the start anyone. I thought it was great fun and a great way to fill in a bit of time in the evenings. Now, POF annoys the hell out of me. Same aul emails, same aul faces but to be honest I am not putting any effort into at the moment.

I wouldnt delete my profile though, as if I did decide to come back to the POF world, I couldnt face starting up a new profile and filling in all the profile details that others clearly do not read. If I could, i would hide my profile, but unfortunately there is some sort of technical problem and I cant hide it.

What is one to do!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭R019912

I send out 6-8 messages some weeks but still rarely get replies. Either im doing something wrong or I must be pretty horrid looking. Im no Channing Tatum but I didnt think I was that bad. The only messages i get are from girls im not attracted to :(

R019912 wrote: »
    I send out 6-8 messages some weeks but still rarely get replies. Either im doing something wrong or I must be pretty horrid looking. Im no Channing Tatum but I didnt think I was that bad. The only messages i get are from girls im not attracted to :(

Its not easy, this on line dating business!! If you want pm me your link to profile and I will give you my honest opinion, from a womans point of view, that is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Varied

I have a date lined up on Sat anyway, this is after talking to a good few.

I reckon I will be knocking the online dating thing on the head after as it plays havoc with your confidence.

Anyway hopefully Saturday goes well :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

Varied wrote: »

I reckon I will be knocking the online dating thing on the head after as it plays havoc with your confidence.

YAY!! :D

I have a lunch date for tomorrow :)

Varied wrote: »

Good luck for Saturday.
    YAY!! :D

I have a lunch date for tomorrow :)

Good luck for tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭newbee22

Guys does anyone know if you can block on mobile pof?! Just got a really ignorant message and was so angry i replied but dont want them to be able to reply to me?!

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭ladylost

R019912 wrote: »

Are those girls replying to a message from you or messaging you first? Either way you are getting messages which isn't a bad thing! I wouldn't base attraction off a pic alone. Maybe you aren't doing that though

• Advertisement

newbee22 wrote: »
    Guys does anyone know if you can block on mobile pof?! Just got a really ignorant message and was so angry i replied but dont want them to be able to reply to me?!

I dont think you can, think you can only do it from computer. If you are on your phone though, just log into POF through Safari and block the person from there. You will be able to do it that way but not through the POF app.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement