Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread 3..**READ 1ST POST Oct 2012**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

It's QUIET not QUITE!!!!!!

AAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D:D:D:D

It a forum not a bloody thesis!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

mood wrote: »
    It a forum not a bloody thesis!

I hate that argument. Correct use of spelling, grammar and punctuation is for every day, not just bloody college :mad:

Anyway, back on topic before Panthro bans the lot of us...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Have any of you ever gone to the offline meet ups that they organise on POF?

I got a mail for a Halloween one the other day. I've never gone but in my mind I'm thinking it would just be a meat market with people looking each other up and down - everything I hate about nightclubs and certain types of bars.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Prick!

Honey-ec wrote: »
    I hate that argument. Correct use of spelling, grammar and punctuation is for every day, not just bloody college :mad:

Anyway, back on topic before Panthro bans the lot of us...

Missing full stop after college. :)

If someone was able to spell the word correctly then they'd spell it correctly. We know what she/he means. :)

miamee wrote: »

I got a mail for a Halloween one the other day. I've never gone but in my mind I'm thinking it would just be a meat market with people looking each other up and down - everything I hate about nightclubs and certain types of bars.

I haven't, but I'd presume it'd be a lot less like a night club. When I see people out in night clubs I can't imaging they're going out to meet a boy/girlfriend.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Prick! wrote: »
    I haven't, but I'd presume it'd be a lot less like a night club. When I see people out in night clubs I can't imaging they're going out to meet a boy/girlfriend.

Yeah I guess most people would be there to put the best foot forward and talk to people rather than just trying to 'score', though I am sure there would be an element of that too knowing everyone there was single.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

I thought the same but The Master went to one earlier in the year in the Lombard and gave it the thumbs up:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=78399559&postcount=7468

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Mmm, I see what you mean.

However...

It's a way of ensuring that from both people's points of view the date won't have been an entire waste of time.

If the date isn't all that, at least you'll have had a laugh at the show, so the night won't have been a total waste. Also, you can get an idea of the other person's sense of humour.

You will, too, find plenty of time for chat before and after anyway.

I would go for this on, say, a second date. Having a laugh together and a few jars can lead to good things!

This exactly!! Really cannot talk up the place enough!

hollypink wrote: »
    I thought the same but The Master went to one earlier in the year in the Lombard and gave it the thumbs up:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=78399559&postcount=7468

Oh cool, thanks Holly :) Might have to talk someone into coming to one of these with me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭riveratom

I got a mail for a Halloween one the other day.

Ideal opportunity for a OD Thread participants meet-up? :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭smallgarden

briefly dated someone from pof but didnt go anywhere so back looking again,but gave me hope theres people out there for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

I think its a good idea. Unfortunately the only meet ups I've seen in my area were for over 40's. I don't think it would be as bad a night club. It wouldn't be people dancing around while the music goes ounce, ounce, ounce.

Has anyone seen www.getout.ie ? It's somethng similar. Events are organised for singles such as speed dating, singles parties, outdoor activites and so on. Again though, there's nothing in my area. All events are either in Dublin or Cork. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

I've never been to one.

I not against them in theory, except for the fact that most events seem to be organized in places where that ghastly R&B/urban music seems to be a pre-requisite. At least that's the case in London.

I suppose if you're a natural social butterfly then they would be a pretty good bet and it doesn't do any harm to keep any available option open.

Plus, unlike a normal pub scenario, at least you know the people there are single, so going to chat someone up isn't going to be a futile, or even embarrassing, exercise.

Plus, unlike a normal pub scenario, at least you know the people there are single, so going to chat someone up isn't going to be a futile, or even embarrassing, exercise.

Yep, that's probably the main pitfall when it comes to looking for someone in a regular bar or club.

I wonder what the speed dating is like. I think you only get like 60 seconds to talk to each person. That's hardly enough time to get to know someone.

I'm noticing quite a lot of lazy people on OKC.

".... hasn’t filled out her profile yet.
    You should message her and see what she has to say."

Right, like I'm going to write a nice email to someone who throws up a pic and then can't be arsed even writing a profile. Fcuk that.

Dating websites should at least require someone to have a profile of themselves, otherwise the time wasters clutter things up for the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I'm noticing quite a lot of lazy people on OKC.

".... hasn’t filled out her profile yet.
    You should message her and see what she has to say."

Right, like I'm going to write a nice email to someone who throws up a pic and then can't be arsed even writing a profile. Fcuk that.

Dating websites should at least require someone to have a profile of themselves, otherwise the time wasters clutter things up for the rest of us.

I like to mail them with that clip of Ralph Wiggum saying, "So, do you like... stuff?"
    They never reply, but hopefully if enough people send it to them they might figure out what they're doing wrong.

I noticed we were talking about work hours yesterday. Sorry I didn't have time to reply, but I was working from 8am and didn't get back home 'til 4am, then was up again at 7am this morning. (And to think, someone called me lazy for lying in until 13:30 the other day when I had the day off...)
    So what's my point? Basically I'm towing in with people who get frustrated when others don't understand that not everybody does the whole 9-5 Monday-Friday thing.

Yeah I've noticed some of the profiles on POF are completely blank, yet when you're filling it out it says you have to put in so many words before you can continue. How are some people getting around this?

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    Yeah I've noticed some of the profiles on POF are completely blank, yet when you're filling it out it says you have to put in so many words before you can continue. How are some people getting around this?

If you enter nothing it allows you to proceed, where as if you put in a couple words you have to put in more ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

Galvasean wrote: »
    I like to mail them with that clip of Ralph Wiggum saying, "So, do you like... stuff?"
    They never reply, but hopefully if enough people send it to them they might figure out what they're doing wrong.

I noticed we were talking about work hours yesterday. Sorry I didn't have time to reply, but I was working from 8am and didn't get back home 'til 4am, then was up again at 7am this morning. (And to think, someone called me lazy for lying in until 13:30 the other day when I had the day off...)
    So what's my point? Basically I'm towing in with people who get frustrated when others don't understand that not everybody does the whole 9-5 Monday-Friday thing.

My feeling about this is: that's all well and good, I've a demanding job which often entails attending post-work events. The only relevant question is do you have time to date? To be in a relationship? If a guy can't commit to seeing me once to twice a week from the beginning, he'll have to be really special to make it worth the lack of momentum that accompanies seeing someone in drips and drabs. I would be likely to lose interest and/or forget about a brand new person if I saw them any less than that. And cancelling is sh*tty, whatever the reason. If it happens frequently it may perfectly naturally affect the connection.

Do any females on here actually initiate messages with guys? Or, as I suspect, because you get bombarded with messages there's no need to?

For the love of God I'm beginning to think it's still the 1950s - it always seems to be the man who has to try and start the chat.

Unless all this is because I am unspeakably hideous looking, which I'm kinda hoping isn't true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 MizzWolfie

Do any females on here actually initiate messages with guys? Or, as I suspect, because you get bombarded with messages there's no need to?

For the love of God I'm beginning to think it's still the 1950s - it always seems to be the man who has to try and start the chat.

Unless all this is because I am unspeakably hideous looking, which I'm kinda hoping isn't true.

I really thought I would but I hate the uncertainty of not knowing if a guy's really into you if I initiate something. Not very proud of that approach but I've had too many things taper off when I pursued them so I don't any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

I very rarely get messages from women. Initiating contact is hard on the ego for some people and I hate to say it but I find women are either too scared to deal with rejection or too full of themselves to admit they are willing to make the first move. It's their loss for sure :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

I have sent messages to guys..

Some have answered some have ignored, same for everyone I reckon.

So this time I lasted a week online dating, honestly I'm just not cut out for it, I'd rather be single and buy lots of cats..

I reckon its near impossible to get to know someone unless meeting them in real life..

I've mailed and browsed myself to near death in the past week. I honestly don't think I will find someone online.

I'm getting older, but I look and act fairly young (not immature) and the guys mailing me are much older, more like my da :-/ No matter how I dislike the single life, I just can't go out with someone who looks older than my da. Maybe I'm a fussy bitch but honestly I gave it a good go.

It just knocks your confidence, mails being completley ignored, by guys I probably wouldn't look twice at in the pub. Flirty sexy, in some cases pure filth in mails and of course the good ol full frontal pics..just doesn't do it for me!

So I have given up and closed my account.

Have I lost the plot?

Anyone have about twenty cats for sale?

:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Piliger wrote: »
    I very rarely get messages from women. Initiating contact is hard on the ego for some people and I hate to say it but I find women are either too scared to deal with rejection or too full of themselves to admit they are willing to make the first move. It's their loss for sure :(

Honestly, I've only made the first move on a message once. I'm too scared of rejection, not ashamed to admit it.

My feeling about this is: that's all well and good, I've a demanding job which often entails attending post-work events. The only relevant question is do you have time to date? To be in a relationship?

Personally speaking, yep. Prior to the hectic last couple of days of hectic work schedule I had two days off. Was on the day before that and off the two days before that. Some weeks I'm mad busy. Others I'm hardly busy at all. I can't see why seemingly a lot of people can't get their heads around this.

My female friend who has recently starting using POF said she can't keep up with all the messages she gets. It's like as soon as she replies to a message there's 5 new ones in her inbox. So she doesn't need to go looking for people.

I have to laugh at some of the messages she gets though. So many guys like to take pictures of themselvs in front of their mirror with their shirt off. It's pathetic. It's surprising how many guys put no effort into their messages too. It would make you wonder why the people who do make the effort don't have more success.

Piliger wrote: »

There goes the elephant in the room. Bang on the money there, Piliger.

I honestly think it's their loss as well. However it doesn't make things any easier in my own situation for all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

Galvasean wrote: »
    Personally speaking, yep. Prior to the hectic last couple of days of hectic work schedule I had two days off. Was on the day before that and off the two days before that. Some weeks I'm mad busy. Others I'm hardly busy at all. I can't see why seemingly a lot of people can't get their heads around this.

I understand it just fine. But all other things being equal, it's a less attractive prospect to me.

New profiler uploaded.

*Awaits "we were so wrong!!" mails*

• Advertisement

I wish I had something going on, either in real life or on pof. :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement