Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread 3..**READ 1ST POST Oct 2012**

Options

Comments

I'm not sure if I've ever got a reply to a message I've sent. However I have had a few messages from women I hadn't been in contact with first.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭miaowsky

Gah! Met a fantastic guy and after date number three he vanishes with no explanation. How in the name of jesus do I get rid of this three date curse I've got going on?!

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭you wha?

miaowsky wrote: »
    Gah! Met a fantastic guy and after date number three he vanishes with no explanation. How in the name of jesus do I get rid of this three date curse I've got going on?!

At least he didnt lead you on for nearly two months like mine did and then suddenly realise hes not able for a relationship as of yesterday!!!!! :( i dont know if i want to go back on pof if this is the outcome again :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

That's just downright rude! :mad: If I met a guy for even one date, I'd still expect some sort of explanation if he wasn't interested in it going any further. Let alone after three dates!

You're better off without someone like that anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Well ready to get back into POF after about 2 months away, so sent out a mail and got a nice cuorteous reply of "hey thanks but im talking to someone etc" which not too bothered about, in fact im kinda pleased with it as its 1 more reply than than i got in my previous 2 months on POF before i gave up, and it was a simple hey "like your profile wanna chat message?" which i havent really tried before.
    Usually i put alot more effort into them and reference the profile and ask a few questions.
    Kind of confused now though which direction to go with my messages as my previous technique didnt really get many replies at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,088 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So I was thinking of setting up a profile on POF to attempt the online dating, but was just curious if there's a FAQ (Best site for around Letterkenny, etc.) or list of do's or don't's around? Just I don't want to clog up this thread with questions when I do set a profile up. And figure 3 threads worth of reading is a wee bit too much. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Wink

VinLieger wrote: »
    Well ready to get back into POF after about 2 months away, so sent out a mail and got a nice cuorteous reply of "hey thanks but im talking to someone etc" which not too bothered about, in fact im kinda pleased with it as its 1 more reply than than i got in my previous 2 months on POF before i gave up, and it was a simple hey "like your profile wanna chat message?" which i havent really tried before.
    Usually i put alot more effort into them and reference the profile and ask a few questions.
    Kind of confused now though which direction to go with my messages as my previous technique didnt really get many replies at all.

It's so obvious when people send out generic messages that they've probably sent to most people online at the time but, for me anyway, if I like their profile, I'll reply.

If someone sends me a detailed message that references my profile, I'll reply too. Unless I really don't fancy them.

That probs doesnt help in the slightest now that I've read it back! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭miaowsky

That's just downright rude! :mad: If I met a guy for even one date, I'd still expect some sort of explanation if he wasn't interested in it going any further. Let alone after three dates!

You're better off without someone like that anyways.
    you wha? wrote: »
    At least he didnt lead you on for nearly two months like mine did and then suddenly realise hes not able for a relationship as of yesterday!!!!! :( i dont know if i want to go back on pof if this is the outcome again :(

I guess this is just what online dating is about, we're going through a rough patch. But the worst thing is seeing him online and available to chat, yet he couldn't send a text msg. Rudeness!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

I guess this is just what online dating is about, we're going through a rough patch. But the worst thing is seeing him online and available to chat, yet he couldn't send a text msg. Rudeness!!

Exactly!! Believe me I was 6 years at it! Okay I have only been in lurve for 3 months but so far going well. He is even taking me to Sicily in July for a week!! :D:D:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Hardonraging

I have a working theory on this, i'll pm you..

I cannot stress this enough, as a guy on a dating site, you have no idea of the competition, most of the women on say POF receive hundreds of mails, you need to be original !!! you need to be funnier,wittier, and by far more interesting than the other guys on there, Otherwise you will not get a reply...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Dolly Daydreams

That would annoy the hell out of me.. Even talking to someone for a while through text and then they suddently stop replying but able to log on to POF no problem. One of the many downsides to ID.. You can sometimes be a means to an end until something better comes along.. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I had a date lined up for last night, but he text yesterday lunchtime to cancel as he would be working late :rolleyes:

Then i said when i was free and to let me know and i got the whole, im working late all week, then off down the country next week for work so will have to leave meeting for a while....
    Think thats the last ill hear from him...

Was chatting to another guy and we said we'd make an arrangement to meet up and he was all for it. Ive sent him a couple of messages the last few days and no reply, seriously, what is the point?? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Hardonraging

andreac wrote: »
    I had a date lined up for last night, but he text yesterday lunchtime to cancel as he would be working late :rolleyes:

Then i said when i was free and to let me know and i got the whole, im working late all week, then off down the country next week for work so will have to leave meeting for a while....

Was chatting to another guy and we said we'd make an arrangement to meet up and he was all for it. Ive sent him a couple of messages the last few days and no reply, seriously, what is the point?? :confused:

Sorry to hear that :( it's pretty disheartening, why people cant come out and tell the truth i'll never understand ..

At least you're getting a few numbers, time wasters are killing me at the moment, " give me your number let's arrange a drink" .... " ohh im not realy to give out my number yet "

sure sure :rolleyes:

I don't understand why they do that to be honest? Do they get a kick out of being just text pals or something.. The mind does indeed, boggle

ya i hate that!i told him if he didnt want a relationship(cuz of stuff going on in his life that he needs to sort out!ya............sure!)then maybe he shouldnt be on a dating website and wasting other peoples time!!its so disheartening.i really liked him and he claimed the same....life truly does suck sometimes :(

ya i hate that!i told him if he didnt want a relationship(cuz of stuff going on in his life that he needs to sort out!ya............sure!)then maybe he shouldnt be on a dating website and wasting other peoples time!!its so disheartening.i really liked him and he claimed the same....life truly does suck sometimes :(

Sorry to hear it :( it truly does suck. I went on a date with a guy ages ago, probably the best first day I ever had, we texted every single day afterwards, tried to arrange a second date and cos we were both busy, it took a while. Eventually arranged one for apres work drinks on a Friday night. I was so excited I even went out & bought a new guna, like a total sap. He texted at bout 11.30 the night before saying that he wasn't over his ex gf. What can ya do ?! The clue is in the name, online DATING. I checked his profile a few times after that & he was still active. People are just weird sometimes.

Wink wrote: »
    Sorry to hear it :( it truly does suck. I went on a date with a guy ages ago, probably the best first day I ever had, we texted every single day afterwards, tried to arrange a second date and cos we were both busy, it took a while. Eventually arranged one for apres work drinks on a Friday night. I was so excited I even went out & bought a new guna, like a total sap. He texted at bout 11.30 the night before saying that he wasn't over his ex gf. What can ya do ?! The clue is in the name, online DATING. I checked his profile a few times after that & he was still active. People are just weird sometimes.

Aww no.thats awful.i think we are too nice sometimes! we had been seeing each other bout 6weeks(almost every single day) and everything was lovely and then monday BAM!i got stuff going on in my life CRAP and i told you i didnt want to commit(lie!!few days prior we had said we were seeing each other and no1 else blah blah!happy days) i just dont get them sometimes.at least i have amazing friends to fall back on :) hope you're doing ok.guess we just gotta wait a lil while and then get back on track and TRY and find someone at least HALF DECENT.thats possible right???RIGHTTTTT??haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

R019912 wrote: »
    I send out 6-8 messages some weeks but still rarely get replies. Either im doing something wrong or I must be pretty horrid looking. Im no Channing Tatum but I didnt think I was that bad. The only messages i get are from girls im not attracted to :(

engage them don't ask how they are, attract them, don't write an essay, be cool don't delve in deep, leave them with something thats easy to reply :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Christie Rainbows

Dovies wrote: »
    Exactly!! Believe me I was 6 years at it! Okay I have only been in lurve for 3 months but so far going well. He is even taking me to Sicily in July for a week!! :D:D:cool:

Aww, thats great! Tell us how you persisted at it for 6 years?!

Well at least he kinda told you, shows he had some respect for you. the last 1 I was chatting to said "there may be no point in meeting as will have to look for a job elsewhere... can we talk about it tomorrow", tomorrow arrives and he doesn't appear online to chat. :(

Aww, I know that sucks when that happens especially when they say they like you :(
    we had been seeing each other bout 6weeks(almost every single day) and everything was lovely and then monday BAM!i got stuff going on in my life CRAP and i told you i didnt want to commit(lie!!few days prior we had said we were seeing each other and no1 else blah blah!happy days) i just dont get them sometimes.at least i have amazing friends to fall back on :) hope you're doing ok.guess we just gotta wait a lil while and then get back on track and TRY and find someone at least HALF DECENT.thats possible right???RIGHTTTTT??haha

Think of it as a bullet dodged. He obviously doesn't even know what he's at. Head wrecker!

Aww no.thats awful.i think we are too nice sometimes! we had been seeing each other bout 6weeks(almost every single day) and everything was lovely and then monday BAM!i got stuff going on in my life CRAP and i told you i didnt want to commit(lie!!few days prior we had said we were seeing each other and no1 else blah blah!happy days) i just dont get them sometimes.at least i have amazing friends to fall back on :) hope you're doing ok.guess we just gotta wait a lil while and then get back on track and TRY and find someone at least HALF DECENT.thats possible right???RIGHTTTTT??haha

Don't worry, there are decent guys on there. I met a fantastic guy on okc in January after that other eejit decided he wasn't over his ex. We went out for just over 4 months. I was mad about him but he, very unfortunately, didn't feel the same. We broke up just over a month ago and tonight I'm going on my first post break up date. I'm TERRIFIED!! But sort of glad at the same time. Fingers crossed!

• Advertisement

Aww, I know that sucks when that happens especially when they say they like you :(

Think of it as a bullet dodged. He obviously doesn't even know what he's at. Head wrecker![/QUOTE]
    Wink wrote: »
    Don't worry, there are decent guys on there. I met a fantastic guy on okc in January after that other eejit decided he wasn't over his ex. We went out for just over 4 months. I was mad about him but he, very unfortunately, didn't feel the same. We broke up just over a month ago and tonight I'm going on my first post break up date. I'm TERRIFIED!! But sort of glad at the same time. Fingers crossed!

Dodged bullet indeedd!thanks ladies :)

Wink,good luck with the date tonight.i hope itll go extremely well.let us know how it goes :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Varied

Well it took quite a few messages to actually get a response for me, as I said before, I am definitely knocking it on the head after this.

A lot of timewasters on it unfortunately.

Dilemma, talking to a guy from OKC the last 4 weeks. At first he asked about meeting up then I couldn't, I asked and he couldn't. Still kept texting away and put it down to time wasting last week since he was going on holiday and nothing could be organized while he was away. He's been texting while on hols but I'm a bit confused as to cut the losses and move on or keep at it and see if anything is mentioned about meeting up when he gets back?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Dilemma, talking to a guy from OKC the last 4 weeks. At first he asked about meeting up then I couldn't, I asked and he couldn't. Still kept texting away and put it down to time wasting last week since he was going on holiday and nothing could be organized while he was away. He's been texting while on hols but I'm a bit confused as to cut the losses and move on or keep at it and see if anything is mentioned about meeting up when he gets back?

Well if its just a case of neither was available and hes still texting while away, why not wait till he gets back? If it happens that when he gets back and he still wont meet up then it might be time to leave it alone

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi all I know this may be a stupid question, but do all sites ask you to upload a photo? This is my first time venturing into online dating and I'm not sure if I want to do that.

Well if its just a case of neither was available and hes still texting while away, why not wait till he gets back? If it happens that when he gets back and he still wont meet up then it might be time to leave it alone

Yeah think you could be right.. Although can't shake the feeling I'm a stopping gap and something to keep him entertained.. Who knows..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

Soooo the date was good today but i got the vibe he didnt want another one :(

but its not the end of the world and i got free food out of it!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭dub5

Soooo the date was good today but i got the vibe he didnt want another one :(

but its not the end of the world and i got free food out of it!! :pac:

Was it a lunch time date? Why do you reckon he didnt want another one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

dub5 wrote: »
    Was it a lunch time date? Why do you reckon he didnt want another one?

yeah it was!

i dunno...im pretty sure its the way i look but i dunno! We got along but he was really like not jumpy but standoff-ish

and when we were leaving it was an awkward little goodbye hug and a see ya around!

so to me it sounds like he didnt enjoy it!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 Christie Rainbows

If he's texting while on hols, then I'd say he's still interested! I wouldn't drop him just yet!
    i dunno...im pretty sure its the way i look but i dunno! We got along but he was really like not jumpy but standoff-ish

and when we were leaving it was an awkward little goodbye hug and a see ya around!

so to me it sounds like he didnt enjoy it!!

Maybe he was just nervous?! Whats the harm in sending a txt following it up

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement