Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread 3..**READ 1ST POST Oct 2012**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I think it's obvious that the ladies contributing to this thread are far more interesting and articulate than the dullards I normally see on POF!

I have indie music tastes and like football and travelling. Kinda hard to find someone on the same page, really, never mind someone cute and intelligent enough to reply to my Wildean messages!
    If you're as witty as the great man himself, you should have no problems :pac: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Ammsy500

I really dislike those kind of profiles where the guy is posing toppless, with sunglasses on while indoors or has a photo up of his boy racer. I've had messages of guys that I'm nearly about to reply to than I see a photo of them in the bathroom showing off their '6 pack'.... I just can't write back to them it just makes me think all their looking for is a one night stand. Why else would they have it up??
    I've heard from a few guys that some girls have pictures of themselves in their underwear up :o why oh why??

As somebody asked earlier I am one of those girls who has 'date but nothing serious' on their profile. If there was an inbetween that and 'looking for a relationship' I would pick that. I would have the fear that if a guy who was interested in me might see that and be put off thinking I'm looking for somebody to marry :D to be honest I am on it to date but if things develop than ye I would like a relationship. Pof really need to sort that out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

sharper wrote: »
    Just another made up number but I could have said "90% of people" since people don't like books and then you have the people that like "books" (Dan Brown and Twilight).

Generally though the last thing you want to be is an introvert and a nerd if you're dating women.

Well it depends. I find shyness endearing, though admittedly they have to be able to have a conversation. And a Michael Cera/David Mitchell type 'nerd' ... send them my way please.

Well helllllllllo there!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

Just another made up number but I could have said "90% of people" since people don't like books and then you have the people that like "books" (Dan Brown and Twilight).

Generally though the last thing you want to be is an introvert and a nerd if you're dating women.

Suggesting 90% of women (or people) don't like books is ridiculous. A photo of someone reading a book also doesn't mean they are introverted or a nerd, :rolleyes:

I love reading and would be delighted to chat to someone who has that in common!! Just because you haven't met someone with the same interest doesn't mean they're not out there....

But you don't ned identical interests to be compatible with someone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Hmmmmm

That was weird

Got a message on okc about 2 hours ago, and her profile is deleted already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper

mood wrote: »
    A photo of someone reading a book also doesn't mean they are introverted or a nerd, :rolleyes:

Where did I say it did? My profile describes me that way, I'm talking about myself. You're very keen to generalise my comments past their usefulness.

We're all speaking from our own experience here not making ultimate statements of dating truth.

Where did I say it did? My profile describes me that way, I'm talking about myself. You're very keen to generalise my comments past their usefulness.

We're all speaking from our own experience here not making ultimate statements of dating truth.

I didn't know you described your self in your profile like that. I just saw that you had a profile photo of you reading a book. Sorry if I'm picking you up wrong but IMO you seem to be making a lot of assumptions/generalizations about the people who may read or view your profile ie 90% of people don't like books.

Now can we leave it at that. I won't be commenting you post again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Misty Chaos

What is it with all the fake profiles on PoF!?

I mean seriously, if the pictures look too good to be true, then they probably are!

I feel sorry for genuine people who don't really know better. Having to wade through all the fakes can be annoying. :mad:

What is it with all the fake profiles on PoF!?

I mean seriously, if the pictures look too good to be true, then they probably are!

I feel sorry for genuine people who don't really know better. Having to wade through all the fakes can be annoying. :mad:

By fake do you mean the photo is not of the person ie photo or model/actor used instead? Surely you could report any profiles you suspect are fake.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

Ammsy500 wrote: »
    I really dislike those kind of profiles where the guy is posing toppless, with sunglasses on while indoors or has a photo up of his boy racer. I've had messages of guys that I'm nearly about to reply to than I see a photo of them in the bathroom showing off their '6 pack'.... I just can't write back to them it just makes me think all their looking for is a one night stand. Why else would they have it up??
    I've heard from a few guys that some girls have pictures of themselves in their underwear up :o why oh why??

lol..

When you are searching 40yrs+ this is defnitely not a good look! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Misty Chaos

mood wrote: »
    By fake do you mean the photo is not of the person ie photo or model/actor used instead? Surely you could report any profiles you suspect are fake.

Don't worry, I do. It's just something that I wish I didn't have to do so bloody often!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

I think its silly only searching for people who have the same interests as you. You're really limiting your options. 2 people could have completely different interests and still be compatible and attracted to each other.

If I'm talking to a friendly attractive woman IRL or in OD, I'm not going to be thinking to myself, "Ohh jasus I hope she likes football. Ohh she likes Dan Brown novels... it'll never work." Crazy!

Don't worry, I do. It's just something that I wish I didn't have to do so bloody often!

Well if more people reported it and any abuse these people would get blocked off the sites making it a nicer experience for everyone else.

So after my previous rant in this thread, I rejoined POF.

BUT

This time I did a lot of things differently:

I sorted all my mail settings so only a certain age range can contact me, and the usual no drugs, no married, etc.

I do not have chat enabled at all.

The first mail that a guy sends to me has to be 100 characters +

I got one mail from a guy saying:

"Are we there yet?
    Is this enough?
    This?
    Still not enough?"

But anyway so far so good..

A much better experience all round.

foxinsox wrote: »

BUT

I sorted all my mail settings so only a certain age range can contact me, and the usual no drugs, no married, etc.

"Are we there yet?
    Is this enough?
    This?
    Still not enough?"

100 characters??? Jasus! Just imagine how time consuming that would be if a guy had to type 100 characters to every woman he contacts, while still trying to be original and reference something from each profile. I don't think I'd have the patience.

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    100 characters??? Jasus! Just imagine how time consuming that would be if a guy had to type 100 characters to every woman he contacts, while still trying to be original and reference something from each profile. I don't think I'd have the patience.

lol.. I think you just typed at least 100 characters answering my post! :pac:

It's quality I'm looking for not quantity.

It might not be everyones' cup if tea, but it works for me so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,102 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Ah, yeah that's only a few of lines. Just refer to a few points in the profiles and you're sorted

But its only the first message though? After that are they allowed to send messages under 100 characters? I didn't think you could be that specific. If I had that setting on my profile I'd never get any messages.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

100 characters isn't all that much. 100 words would be somewhat excessive. If her profile is filled in properly it should not be hard to reference a couple of bits, then bingo: 100 characters! Failing that you could name drop a few obscenely long named dinosaurs to take up space.

^ heck, even that is well over 100 characters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper

I'd feel a bit embarrassed using less than 100 characters, I mean if it fits on twitter it's probably too short!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Ismaithsin

First post on boards.ie for me...woohoo

I've been on a few dating sites and I have to say I found pof as good as any of them, its free and I met my current lovely lady on it! The reason for posting this though is so others dont get stung like I just did by anotherfriend.com. I deactivated my account with them several months ago thinking that's sufficient to ensure they wont hit my credi card again, wrong!

Yes they do tell you in thr T&Cs, but did I read them?! It wouldn't take much for them to prompt the user when deactivating with a "do you want to cancel your credit card payments too?", but that would make too much sense.

So be warned!

Glad I got that off my chest :-)

Hi everyone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Well that's my profile updated a bit. Anyone want a go at ripping it apart? :D

Send me a pm and I'll have a look if you'd like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

How about this latest tube on POF?

"... isn't seeking a relationship or any kind of commitment."

So WTF are you doing then, love? Apart from wasting everyone's time?

How about this latest tube on POF?

"... isn't seeking a relationship or any kind of commitment."

So WTF are you doing then, love? Apart from wasting everyone's time?

Sexy time?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,805 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Well that's my profile updated a bit. Anyone want a go at ripping it apart? :D

There is a very specific rule on this thread about this sort of thing, familiarise yourself with the rules of this thread

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

BUT

"Are we there yet?
    Is this enough?
    This?
    Still not enough?"

I didn't realise you could be so specific, that's actually making it more likely that I would use POF again. Up to now I've been contemplating deleting my profile completely. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭cloud_dancer

BUT

"Are we there yet?
    Is this enough?
    This?
    Still not enough?"

It's so much better when you do it this way. I've set the first mail to be at least 50+ characters and it's cut out most of the "hows you?" chancers. Also cut out the married, smokers, looking for intimate encounters. I wouldn't see it as excessive, it just saves time wading through messages I’ll have no interest in. The last time I tried POF I left after a couple of days because I was overwhelmed with all the “Hey Sexy” and “Chat me” type crap.

Also people who try to instant chat without any contact first. WFT is up with that? :confused: I’ve mine disabled now.

Also people who try to instant chat without any contact first. WFT is up with that? :confused: I’ve mine disabled now.

It tends not to work very well at the best of times anyhow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

I'm one of the 5% then. Drop me a pm! ;)

@ Meoulsegosha......where's my pm then?? ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement