Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread 3..**READ 1ST POST Oct 2012**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Ammsy500

I agree I don't like using that instant chat feature if I've never been in contact with the person before. I don't mind so much after you've been mailing back and forth for a while as it is easier to chat. Not as 'formal' in a way. I do think the people who use it straight away to contact someone are the type of 'how's u sxy' type messager.

I normally use Pof on my phone so as far as I know I can't use instant messenger but when I log on with my computer I have loads of instant chat messengers on the side of my screen. And if I do happen to press accept or check their profile it just disappears. I'm wondering when I'm using the app on my phone does it say you can instant message me even though I can't use it on my phone?? Confused :?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Someone just messaged me saying 'Are you into S&M?'

I responded saying 'Yes, it's my favourite Metallica album!'

Let's see how he reacts to that. :pac:

Edit to add: He replied saying 'I mean Sadism and Masochism, a master/slave type set up. What do you think?'

I just said 'I AM NOT ANASTASIA STEELE AND YOU ARE NOT CHRISTIAN GREY' and left it at that. :pac:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

LyndaMcL wrote: »
    Someone just messaged me saying 'Are you into S&M?'

I responded saying 'Yes, it's my favourite Metallica album!'

Let's see how he reacts to that. :pac:

Edit to add: He replied saying 'I mean Sadism and Masochism, a master/slave type set up. What do you think?'

I just said 'I AM NOT ANASTASIA STEELE AND YOU ARE NOT CHRISTIAN GREY' and left it at that. :pac:

Was this his opening line? Some people are beyond thick....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

miamee wrote: »
    Was this his opening line? Some people are beyond thick....

Yes, it was his opening line. To be honest, I'm like a school girl at this. Clearly he's taking this 'women love Christian Grey' thing to the extreme. Poor guy had to pick one of the few women who hates 50 Shades to try his luck with.:pac:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

LyndaMcL wrote: »
    Yes, it was his opening line. To be honest, I'm like a school girl at this. Clearly he's taking this 'women love Christian Grey' thing to the extreme. Poor guy had to pick one of the few women who hates 50 Shades to try his luck with.:pac:

What a ninny, he probably thought he was on to chat-up gold with that clever line :rolleyes: :D
    Any of my friends who have read and liked the book would still run a mile if a an said that to them (and not just because they are all married :P)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,805 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

I'm one of the 5% then. Drop me a pm! ;)
    @ Meoulsegosha......where's my pm then?? ;)
    (3) This thread IS NOT for a place to pick up
    Do not come in here to pick up a boardsie, your posts will be deleted. If in the Mods view, this is why you have come to our forum, then you will end up banned, possibly permanently.
    Similarly, this is not a thread in which to learn the art of "Picking up" someone. It is against the Charter of the forum, therefore it carries a Permanent Ban.

Infracted because not once, but twice you went against a rule of the thread.
    Do not let it happen again.
    Panthro

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

On POF, what does ".....has expressed an interest in you. This is an option available to women" mean????

On other sites you get a message saying that a particular person is interested in you but all that really means is that they viewed your profile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

py2006 wrote: »
    On POF, what does ".....has expressed an interest in you. This is an option available to women" mean????

On other sites you get a message saying that a particular person is interested in you but all that really means is that they viewed your profile.

It's a flirt button, only women have it on their profiles, something that I think is ridiculous. I delete them automatically, because if someone isn't confident enough to drop you a mail and say hi and introduce themselves, then what would you be at in all seriousness, going on a date with them? You'd clearly be up against the same childishness I think.

Also, I did reply to one or two of them when I first started getting them and didn't get a reply back, so they seem to indicate some of the more flakier users of the site as well, another reason to just delete them for the waste of time that they are.

I really don't understand why this button exists, I know the point was made previously that it is for women to give a hint to men that they are easy on the eye or whatever, but for Christs sake, it's 2012, in an age where women are demanding they be considered equal, it seems to me that we still are expected to do all the heavy lifting when it comes to this stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭miec

I've been on a few dating sites and I have to say I found pof as good as any of them, its free and I met my current lovely lady on it! The reason for posting this though is so others dont get stung like I just did by anotherfriend.com. I deactivated my account with them several months ago thinking that's sufficient to ensure they wont hit my credi card again, wrong!

Yes they do tell you in thr T&Cs, but did I read them?! It wouldn't take much for them to prompt the user when deactivating with a "do you want to cancel your credit card payments too?", but that would make too much sense.

A number of the paid sites, including match.com operate on a similar basis, they leave the onus on the customer to cancel and have it set to automatic renewal which is grossly unfair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

Some people only have 1 or 2 sentences in their profiles so its difficult to send them a detailed first message.

I saw one very attractive girl on POF and her profile just read, "I like to keep fit and hang out with friends. Please try and be original when you message me guys. A bit of effort won't kill ya." That was it. I felt like saying "it wouldn't kill you either."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭riveratom

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    I saw one very attractive girl on POF and her profile just read, "I like to keep fit and hang out with friends. Please try and be original when you message me guys. A bit of effort won't kill ya." That was it. I felt like saying "it wouldn't kill you either."

I wonder do some guys have that on their profiles too? I ask because 9 out of every 10 emails I would get from girls would be 'Hi how's you'.

riveratom wrote: »
    I wonder do some guys have that on their profiles too? I ask because 9 out of every 10 emails I would get from girls would be 'Hi how's you'.

Yep I'm the same, if I get a message that is. There's nothing more off-putting than a girl who has a list of rules on her profile that you have to obey before you can message her. I doubt if the guys are that picky because they don't seem to get as many messages, (or at least that's what I've been hearing on this anyway.)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

Some people only have 1 or 2 sentences in their profiles so its difficult to send them a detailed first message.

You should!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

gatecrash wrote: »
    Hmmmmm

That was weird

Got a message on okc about 2 hours ago, and her profile is deleted already.

ok Colour me confused....

deleted profile lady is back??

Is there some sort of verification process that users need to go though on OKC?

Have the women that i sent mails too on D1 (Last friday for OKC) looked at my profile and been told that i don't actually exist??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

It's a flirt button, only women have it on their profiles, something that I think is ridiculous. I delete them automatically, because if someone isn't confident enough to drop you a mail and say hi and introduce themselves, then what would you be at in all seriousness, going on a date with them? You'd clearly be up against the same childishness I think.

Also, I did reply to one or two of them when I first started getting them and didn't get a reply back, so they seem to indicate some of the more flakier users of the site as well, another reason to just delete them for the waste of time that they are.

I really don't understand why this button exists, I know the point was made previously that it is for women to give a hint to men that they are easy on the eye or whatever, but for Christs sake, it's 2012, in an age where women are demanding they be considered equal, it seems to me that we still are expected to do all the heavy lifting when it comes to this stuff!

I think I will just ignore it so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper

gatecrash wrote: »
    Is there some sort of verification process that users need to go though on OKC?

Nope but you can disable your account and reactivate it. There's all sorts of reasons she might have done that, got annoyed, saw someone from work view her profile etc

Only way to know for sure is to ask :)

Ha, I just came across a profile where the girl stated, "Don't be sending me long messages. I'm not here to read that essay bollix. Keep it short and sweet." You can't please everyone.

Also, what exactly is an undisclosed body type?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

Absolutely ginormously huge

Or

Really really teeny and skinny

Or

Far away

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭ladylost

Got a funny one last night. Got a short mail from a guy with a strange sentence "bet you do" in it so my interest was piqued. I replied asking what that meant. He didn't make much sense. In interests of fairness I sent pics cause you can't mail me without them. I'm wearing a dress in one pic and he replies "so I've seen your legs any chance of seeing more flesh". What are these guys thinking!?! I replied"Nope, bye now" and heard no more. Wouldn't mind but he had a funny profile too.

foxinsox wrote: »
    Absolutely ginormously huge

Or

Really really teeny and skinny

Or

Far away

Far away? You mean like Dougal with the sheep? :pac:

She looks slimer from a distance. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

Ha, I just came across a profile where the girl stated, "Don't be sending me long messages. I'm not here to read that essay bollix. Keep it short and sweet." You can't please everyone.

You should send her a short message right enough - "Don't flatter yourself."

The 'undisclosed' body type? I wouldn't like to say in case I get a row on here, but I'm guessing you can draw a fairly certain conclusion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

ladylost wrote: »
    Got a funny one last night. Got a short mail from a guy with a strange sentence "bet you do" in it so my interest was piqued. I replied asking what that meant. He didn't make much sense. In interests of fairness I sent pics cause you can't mail me without them. I'm wearing a dress in one pic and he replies "so I've seen your legs any chance of seeing more flesh". What are these guys thinking!?! I replied"Nope, bye now" and heard no more. Wouldn't mind but he had a funny profile too.

I set up a fake profile, in which I stated that I was seeking an 'intimate encounter'. I was curious to see the response I would get.

I have got snowed under with messages...most of them sent me pics of their penis and disclosed their phone number......and nearly 50% were older MARRIED men. I was shocked to say the least!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

maguic24 wrote: »
    I set up a fake profile, in which I stated that I was seeking an 'intimate encounter'. I was curious to see the response I would get.

I have got snowed under with messages...most of them sent me pics of their penis and disclosed their phone number......and nearly 50% were older MARRIED men. I was shocked to say the least!

Keep ringing until the wife answers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

sharper wrote: »
    Nope but you can disable your account and reactivate it. There's all sorts of reasons she might have done that, got annoyed, saw someone from work view her profile etc

Only way to know for sure is to ask :)

yeah, having a bit of a chat with her at the minute...

it's kinda weird. I get the impression she knows me. Or knows someone who knows me.
    Could be setting myself up for a big embarrassment thing here, but feck it, nothing ventured, nothing gained!!

mood wrote: »
    Keep ringing until the wife answers!

Hello, I'm your husband's bit on the side. Tell him I'm free tomorrow. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭ladylost

maguic24 wrote: »

I know there's an interest in ONS but nothing on my profile hints I'm on for that or least I don't think it does. Sure if that's what I wanted I'd be straight up about it. At least he didn't send me back any flesh exposing pics of his own!!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

I may be in my last days of OD ....... met two of the most stunning and perfect ladies, for me, in the last week ...... one more perfect than the other ... and both into me as well ...... my problem now is how to deal with this and not screw it up ......... Jeeez, life has a real sense of humour :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭smallgarden

py2006 wrote: »
    I think I will just ignore it so.

if you like her profile send her a message,if not ignore it.ill click it if looked at and read a guys profile and liked it.there are a variety reaons i wont message such as time,too lazy, too hot for me but worth a flirt etc.i feel people need to take it less seriously,be less particular with how people contact them.if you like someone message them,if not dont,simple as. i dont see the need for ruling out someone for too short a first message etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

Piliger wrote: »
    I may be in my last days of OD ....... met two of the most stunning and perfect ladies, for me, in the last week ...... one more perfect than the other ... and both into me as well ...... my problem now is how to deal with this and not screw it up ......... Jeeez, life has a real sense of humour :rolleyes:

Life's a cúnt these days isn't it?!? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

there are a variety reaons i wont message such as time,too lazy, too hot for me

I've seen this attitude* in a few posters on this thread. There's no such thing! The whole 'out of my league' notion is silly. Have you guys SEEN the guy Charlize Theron is dating? Hope for us all...

*CLEARLY why no one messages me. They're too intimidated by my dashing good looks! :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement