Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread 3..**READ 1ST POST Oct 2012**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭smallgarden

thats why i send flirt,havent ruled them out completely but realstic;)

on league thing women will go out with men that are less attractive but its rarer you see a really attractive man going out with an alot less attractive woman.im going to be controversal and say that i believe generally that there are more really attractive women out there than really attractive men

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

on league thing women will go out with men that are less attractive but its rarer you see a really attractive man going out with an alot less attractive woman.im going to be controversal and say that i believe generally that there are more really attractive women out there than really attractive men

Ah you just haven't met me or Galvasean yet! :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Well, I have to go out with somebody don't I!?!?!?!? :pac:

Galvasean wrote: »
    Well, I have to go out with somebody don't I!?!?!?!? :pac:

Sure we have to wear masks otherwise we'd bring POF servers down haha!

That hour in the evening when they bring the site down for maintenance, they're lying, that's me & Galvasean just logging in! haha!

Sure we have to wear masks otherwise we'd bring POF servers down haha!

That hour in the evening when they bring the site down for maintenance, they're lying, that's me & Galvasean just logging in! haha!

im sure yous are both lovely :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

It depends what you mean by 'attractive'.

To my mind, attractive is not the same as good-looking. Not at all.

The 'I'm-so-hot-I-don't-need-to-make-an-effort' with the personality of a mannequin, might be attractive to look at - but they sure as hell wouldn't be attractive to be with. We all know the sort, male and female.

I find these are the types who scrape out a couple of lines in their OD profiles because they can't be arsed with the effort. Like the 'hot' woman in a bar who will nearly always get chatted up, again little real effort is required.

It doesn't, however, make them attractive as a person.

There are those who are both though. Some of the most aesthetically beautiful people I know are also some of the kindest, nicest and most interesting. Such people are as rare as a hen's tooth on OD sites though it must be said (well, based on profile readings anyhow).

i meant purely physical looks, id guess there are way more hot women with lovely personalities than hot men with lovely personalties. i could be totally wrong though. there are indeed plenty of hot people with horrible personalities alright. as boyzone said it takes more than physical attraction

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

There are those who are both though. Some of the most aesthetically beautiful people I know are also some of the kindest, nicest and most interesting. Such people are as rare as a hen's tooth on OD sites though it must be said (well, based on profile readings anyhow).

Come on now, enough talk about ourselves here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Come on now, enough talk about ourselves here!

Get a room you two!! :P

• Advertisement

i meant purely physical looks, id guess there are way more hot women with lovely personalities than hot men with lovely personalties. i could be totally wrong though. there are indeed plenty of hot people with horrible personalities alright. as boyzone said it takes more than physical attraction

What I was getting at is that I don't buy into that 'Shallow Hall' stereotype that good looking people are more likely to have horrible personalities. I strongly doubt there is any real connection between how you look and how nice you are.
    I wonder have any studies ever been done?

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭riveratom

Or me? :pac:

ok... 19 messages later and i got the phone number...

To my mind, attractive is not the same as good-looking. Not at all.

Where does the phrase "handsome" fit into all of this in a woman's vocabulary?!? Not being big headed, but that's a word I keep hearing, trust me, I've no notions of myself, wouldn't describe myself as a head turner at all, but I defo do seem to be a "type" that certain women pick up on and those women who's "type" I seem to be, give me the same feedback, which is "very handsome guy". The only thing I can see there that warrant's that is a full head of hair, being a bit tall I suppose and having a tan and really dark eyes...

But it's a long time since I've been told I'm good looking or attractive, but handsome, I seem to still get, even from some of my male friends?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper

im going to be controversal and say that i believe generally that there are more really attractive women out there than really attractive men

Physically I think yes it's well agreed women are more attractive than men. I naturally can't separate my own preferences out but even women seem to appreciate each other's appearance more than that of most men.

Further back in the thread I wrote a bit about the differences I see in how men and women operate.

Where does the phrase "handsome" fit into all of this in a woman's vocabulary?!? Not being big headed, but that's a word I keep hearing, trust me, I've no notions of myself, wouldn't describe myself as a head turner at all, but I defo do seem to be a "type" that certain women pick up on and those women who's "type" I seem to be, give me the same feedback, which is "very handsome guy". The only thing I can see there that warrant's that is a full head of hair, being a bit tall I suppose and having a tan and really dark eyes...

But it's a long time since I've been told I'm good looking or attractive, but handsome, I seem to still get, even from some of my male friends?!?

I don't think hair comes into it as I frequently hear The rock being described as 'a big handsome egg'.

when i think handsome i think of mr darcy types, also little older, liam neesony,hugh grant, hugh jackman

some of my own personal definitions:
    really hot - drop dead gorgeous type
    cute - not drop dead gorgeous but something very appealing about you
    rugged - rough around the edges but yummy
    alright - none of the above but if like your personality may become one of the above

Where does the phrase "handsome" fit into all of this in a woman's vocabulary?!?

I think "handsome" includes things like dress sense, attitude and demeanour in line with most women's lack of physical focus. Of course there are men that women will describe as "hot" or "sexy" which is based purely off their looks but the number of men who can hit that target are small and they're probably tired after 4 hours in the gym every day.

sharper wrote: »
    Physically I think yes it's well agreed women are more attractive than men.

I'm not certain. By and large an attractive woman would be quite 'made up' where as generally speaking good looking men's appearance is more 'natural'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Piliger wrote: »
    I may be in my last days of OD ....... met two of the most stunning and perfect ladies, for me, in the last week ...... one more perfect than the other ... and both into me as well ...... my problem now is how to deal with this and not screw it up ......... Jeeez, life has a real sense of humour :rolleyes:
    Holy crap; result!! Bask in the feeling for now and worry about choosing somewhere down the line :p

• Advertisement

when i think handsome i think of mr darcy types, also little older, liam neesony,hugh grant, hugh jackman

some of my own personal definitions:
    really hot - drop dead gorgeous type
    cute - not drop dead gorgeous but something very appealing about you
    rugged - rough around the edges but yummy
    alright - none of the above but if like your personality may become one of the above

I used to look like this guy in my teens & 20's, kinda filled out a bit in my 30's...

EDIT, The guy in the front, not guy in the back lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

To quote Mark in Peep Show, "she's got the winning combination of beauty and low self-esteem!"

By and large an attractive woman would be quite 'made up' where as generally speaking good looking men's appearance is more 'natural'.

Do you reckon if we put on tweed jackets, smoke pipes and start discussion the construction of the beauty standard in society will the dates start flowing in?

Do you reckon if we put on tweed jackets, smoke pipes and start discussion the construction of the beauty standard in society will the dates start flowing in?

It couldn't hurt? :pac:
    But yes, I agree. We seem to be veering somewhat off topic.

you had me at tweed ;)

cant believe hellfireclub was the karate kid,how awesome is that!could only be topped by a goonie lookalike

for crying out loud.... it's either a feast or a famine!!!

Nary a sniff of a reply to a mail for the last month and a bit, then the other day i got an unsolicited mail (women making first contact has NEVER happened to me before!!) and we got mailing last night, even had an hour long phone conversation at 12 last night and meet up provisionally arranged for saturday.

I wake up this morning and while checking my mail discover that someone ELSE has mailed me during the night and also rated me highly with the starry thing.

Tis mad lads, MAAAAD i tells ya!! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

De-activated my profile for a bit. I think I'm feeling a bit too apathetic at the moment about OD to bother with it for a while. I was having plenty of success in attracting intelligent, good looking men who could hold a conversation, but found myself stalling and not wanting to go on any more dates.

So, I think that's a sign to take a wee break and just relax for a while. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭cloud_dancer

I think "handsome" includes things like dress sense, attitude and demeanour in line with most women's lack of physical focus. Of course there are men that women will describe as "hot" or "sexy" which is based purely off their looks but the number of men who can hit that target are small and they're probably tired after 4 hours in the gym every day.

That's why online dating is so difficult for a lot of men. Looks are only a part of how we see a person and it's usually the whole package that makes us attracted to someone. Their whole demeanour, confidence, how they speak, their sense of humour, how they treat other people.

I wouldn't have dated my ex if I saw him on an OD site. We had massively different interests and looks-wise he wasn’t the type I’d go for at all but there was this chemistry and attraction between us that drew me close. There was a huge spark for both of us that wouldn’t come across looking at someones OD profile. I probably wouldn’t have even replied to him if he messaged me. Granted, it hasn’t worked out and part of that was having very different interests.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭cloud_dancer

gatecrash wrote: »
    for crying out loud.... it's either a feast or a famine!!!

Nary a sniff of a reply to a mail for the last month and a bit, then the other day i got an unsolicited mail (women making first contact has NEVER happened to me before!!) and we got mailing last night, even had an hour long phone conversation at 12 last night and meet up provisionally arranged for saturday.

I wake up this morning and while checking my mail discover that someone ELSE has mailed me during the night and also rated me highly with the starry thing.

Tis mad lads, MAAAAD i tells ya!! :P

Nice! :D Hope the date on Saturday goes well for ya

• Advertisement

Nice! :D Hope the date on Saturday goes well for ya

Only a bloke who's had NO luck since he rejoined would consider 2 mails a feast though!! :D:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement