Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread 3..**READ 1ST POST Oct 2012**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭cloud_dancer

gatecrash wrote: »
    2 or 3 might be a bit short though.

2 or 3 messages in I am still 'shadow boxing'/ getting the feel for someone.

2 or 3 days of chatting, yeah.
    not 2 or 3 messages.

Yeah someone asking to meet me or even asking for my digits after 2 to 3 messages would freak me out. It would be enough to scare me off altogether! :eek: 2 to 3 days for me is perfect if you have gotten some kind of decent conversation going.
    Everyone has a different perspective on when the time is right so it can be hard to judge.

sffc wrote: »
    She's probably a Gaurd or a PO - think of the fun you'll have with the handcuffs :-)

That would be my guess! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

I used to look like this guy in my teens & 20's, kinda filled out a bit in my 30's...

EDIT, The guy in the front, not guy in the back lol!

Ahh you may have looked like him, but can you do the crane kick?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    Ahh you may have looked like him, but can you do the crane kick?

I'll send Mr. Miogye After ya! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭supermommy

I might be crazy but in relation to chatting online for awhile, I think how a person presents themselves thru written word is a very good indication of their personality. That being said I am completely in the camp that you cannot let it go on too long, the expectations can get a bit outta control :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

supermommy wrote: »
    I might be crazy but in relation to chatting online for awhile, I think how a person presents themselves thru written word is a very good indication of their personality. That being said I am completely in the camp that you cannot let it go on too long, the expectations can get a bit outta control :)

I have to admit, having the i's dotted and the t's crossed is kinda important to me too. If that makes me a grammar nazi, then hang on while I put on my jackboots!!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Nope.
    Maybe she's currently unemployed and doesn't want you to think she's a gold digger.
    Maybe she wants to keep her personal life separate from her professional life until she's met you and is comfortable to talk about it.

Tenner says she's a chugger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭smallgarden

Galvasean wrote: »

had to google what chugger is, if a chugger can spin it to make you sound good, i.e work for a charity

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭DerekDGoldfish

I have to admit, having the i's dotted and the t's crossed is kinda important to me too. If that makes me a grammar nazi, then hang on while I put on my jackboots!!

I recently updated my OKC profile and I transferred each section to word to do it and I noticed 20 odd spelling mistakes in my profile which hadn’t been updated in a year. I wonder how many un-responded to messages were due to my horrible spelling/grammar. Then again it’s something they would have found out soon enough anyway. Despite my own useless spelling anyone using txtspeak is automatically 100 times less attractive than if they used normal English (however misspelled that may be)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

KTRIC wrote: »
    I've been chatting to a nice lady for a while now and we're meeting up for drinks soon. One thing that came up is her work. Not hugely important but when I asked what she did she skirts around the question. I have an idea what type of organisation she works for but that means nothing. I was hoping to get a better idea of the person and sometimes what they do for a living helps.

Would this set alarm bells off for anyone ?

Could be an accountant and doesn't want to come across as being a bore! :pac:

Or as others have said - unemployed, garda, prison officer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

Woohoo! Finally after another fruitless carpet-bombing campaign, I get a reply to one of my fun-filled messages. A Dutch girl. Double woohoo!

A vegan. A drug user.

Great.

I'm losing the will to live here...

Woohoo! Finally after another fruitless carpet-bombing campaign, I get a reply to one of my fun-filled messages. A Dutch girl. Double woohoo!

A vegan. A drug user.

Erm, why did you bother messaging her (or was that info not in her profile)?

A vegan. A drug user.

Great.

So you messaged a Dutch girl and didn't expect her to be a 'drug user' ??
    Silly you :)

Erm, why did you bother messaging her (or was that info not in her profile)?

Not when I saw it initially, no.

Oh well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper

A vegan. A drug user.

Great.

Maybe if you give her a chance she's not what you expect :)

sharper wrote: »
    Maybe if you give her a chance she's not what you expect :)

Well I suppose if I'm ever in the mood for a joyless light supper of mung beans and lentils, followed by a good blow-out in some crack den I'll give her a shout.

Alternatively, maybe you have a point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭DerekDGoldfish

A vegan. A drug user.

Great.

Imagine a life without meat and cheese, no wonder she has to take drugs to distract her from her empty meet and cheeseless life.

Most vegans aren't the pushy type who don't allow other people to eat what they want. Plus, by 'drug user' she might just smoke a bit of hash once in a blue moon.
    You've very little to lose pursuing this a bit further.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

It really depends on your feelings about drug users.

Like Galva said, it could just be the odd bit of weed or something.

I personally don't touch illegal drugs, and I wouldn't like to date someone who does, but I had relationship with a guy for several years who smoked weed and it wasn't an issue at all. I wouldn't be around him when he was smoking it, because I've tried it enough times to know that I hate it and hate the smell of it, but it could be fairly light weed use for all you know.

That said, I'm fairly open minded as long as somebody isn't doing heavy drugs. It really all depends on just how anti-drugs you are. For some people I know, weed would be a complete no no and they wouldn't date someone who smokes it, but it's all dependent on your own opinion on drugs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Nope.
    Maybe she's currently unemployed and doesn't want you to think she's a gold digger.
    Maybe she wants to keep her personal life separate from her professional life until she's met you and is comfortable to talk about it.

Tbh that's what I'm thinking myself. She said she worked for a charity. It'd be a real no no for me if she's a chugger.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Tbh that's what I'm thinking myself. She said she worked for a charity. It'd be a real no no for me if she's a chugger.

If she works for charity, but is sketchy about what she actually does, she's definitely a chugger.

Galvasean was bang on the money there. :pac:

Well I suppose if I'm ever in the mood for a joyless light supper of mung beans and lentils, followed by a good blow-out in some crack den I'll give her a shout.

Alternatively, maybe you have a point.

Wow, that's a very closed mind you have there sir. Considering her mother country I'd gamble she smokes a lil weed or something. Crack dens? A bit harsh...
    To each their own tho..
    :)

Wow, that's a very closed mind you have there sir. Considering her mother country I'd gamble she smokes a lil weed or something. Crack dens? A bit harsh...
    To each their own tho..

I was taking the piss actually.

To each their own tho..

I was taking the piss actually.

Yeah I got that, I was saying its a bit harsh to compare smokin a bit of weed to smokin a bit of crack.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Holy crap; result!! Bask in the feeling for now and worry about choosing somewhere down the line :p

Good advice - thanks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Why? Genuine question.

In all honesty, what does it matter what someone does to put food on the table and keep a roof over their heads once it's not mass murder or drug dealing or something else illegal?

If you meet someone and you like them, what does it matter what they do?

The girl i'm meeting on Saturday is a student. [Sarcasm Font]Does that automatically mean that she might only be after me cos i have a full time job?[/Sarcasm Font]

• Registered Users Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

Have my first date tonight since joining PoF and my stomach is in a knot. I'm a 40yo woman who has been on dates before so why do I feel so nervous. Is it gut instinct telling me its not going to work?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Have my first date tonight since joining PoF and my stomach is in a knot. I'm a 40yo woman who has been on dates before so why do I feel so nervous. Is it gut instinct telling me its not going to work?
    I'm sure it's just normal nerves - if you weren't a bit nervous I'd be more worried about it!

I think I've a bit of an online stalker. He’s sent 5 messages now since I last responded :pac:

Seriously, it set off alarm bells with me when he messaged twice asking different questions because I didn’t get a chance to reply to his message in time. We had probably sent two messages each before that. I stopped replying once he got over eager and thought he’d get the message. No. He’s sent one every day since. :eek:

• Advertisement

You are bound to feel like that your first time on an online date. Just try to keep an open mind and relax. :)

Hope it goes well for ya!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement