Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread 3..**READ 1ST POST Oct 2012**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Micky 32 wrote: »
    How would one approach this scenario. Started chatting to this one POF that had a private photo. She let me see it, a very good looking woman. Was a tiny bit suspicious as it looked " modely" so being me i googled the photo. Low and behold it is of a famous enough designer..

However, she phoned me today and we had a great chat and seems to be a very sound girl. So i wonder how she expects to pull this off tomorrow when i meet her..what should i do ? lol

She's used a fake photo......AVOID.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

I think its fair to say there has been more negative stories on this thread than positive ones. OD is certainly flawed and by no means a perfect way of meeting people. That doesn't mean its hopeless.

Plenty of people get rejected and have bad experiences IRL too. They're not on here complaining about it though. For me OD is more effective than trying to meet somone in a bar or club. I've never met anyone that way. Does that mean that bars and clubs are hopeless? No, its just not for me personally.

I'm going to continue to use OD. I may or may no meet someone this way, but I'm staying positive and trying not to take it too seriously. No method is perfect, but one thing you can't deny is how popular OD has become in recent years. So its not all bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper

However, she phoned me today and we had a great chat and seems to be a very sound girl. So i wonder how she expects to pull this off tomorrow when i meet her..what should i do ? lol

Well you're going to meet her so assuming it's a nice public place you'll find out what the situation is tomorrow! As someone else said, maybe she just happens to look a lot like her or has a fantastically excellent reason for using a fake photo.

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    I think its fair to say there has been more negative stories on this thread than positive ones. OD is certainly flawed and by no means a perfect way of meeting people. That doesn't mean its hopeless.

Plenty of people get rejected and have bad experiences IRL too. They're not on here complaining about it though. For me OD is more effective than trying to meet somone in a bar or club. I've never met anyone that way. Does that mean that bars and clubs are hopeless? No, its just not for me personally.

I'm going to continue to use OD. I may or may no meet someone this way, but I'm staying positive and trying not to take it too seriously. No method is perfect, but one thing you can't deny is how popular OD has become in recent years. So its not all bad.

But these kind of sites could attract weirdos/dangerous people.....? At least if you meet someone in person you can make the decision to accept or reject them straight away........

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

sharper wrote: »
    Well you're going to meet her so assuming it's a nice public place you'll find out what the situation is tomorrow! As someone else said, maybe she just happens to look a lot like her or has a fantastically excellent reason for using a fake photo.

The fact she used a fake photo would make me lose interest. But on the phone she seemed sincere of a person and had a great chat so i'm going to meet her because i am very curious how she is going to pull this one off for the fun of it LOL

Yes you can google images, on the google page select images and if you upload a photo from your PC it will display all sites the photo is on including Facebook. A lot of women on POF don't realise their identity could be compromised if they use the same photo on facebook as POF.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

The fact she used a fake photo would make me lose interest. But on the phone she seemed sincere of a person and had a great chat so i'm going to meet her because i am very curious how she is going to pull this one off for the fun of it LOL

Yes you can google images, on the google page select images and if you upload a photo from your PC it will display all sites the photo is on including Facebook. A lot of women on POF don't realise their identity could be compromised if they use the same photo on facebook as POF.

Interesting. How do you upload a photo? And where is it uploading to?

Thanks

Well if she does look a lot like the photo she sent me i'll certainly be hitting the jackpot :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

As someone else said, maybe she just happens to look a lot like her or has a fantastically excellent reason for using a fake photo.

But what possible good reason could someone have for using a fake pic? I don't buy the 'just happens to look a lot like that model' excuse; what, she's very good looking but doesnt have any of her own photos that she could send? I would be suspicious that she is playing some sort of trick :(

hollypink wrote: »
    I would be suspicious that she is playing some sort of trick :(

That is what i would be thinking too, she may stand me up or something. maybe she is a woman scorned on POF and thinks it's fun to arrange a date and not show up for the man ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

That is what i would be thinking too, she may stand me up or something. maybe she is a woman scorned on POF and thinks it's fun to arrange a date and not show up for the man ;)

Yeah I was thinking something like that; if it's a busy public place, she could even be there to watch you being stood up. Or maybe I'm just a very suspicious person and there is a completely reasonable explanation :pac:

• Advertisement

Maybe the best thing is to message her and ask why she sent me a photo of someone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Ammsy500

I would be suspicious that she is playing some sort of trick :(

Wow fair play to you going ahead with meeting her I would be very weary of it. What exactly is she trying to hide? There is no excuse to use a fake picture if you want to keep your picture private you can do so and send it privately in messages. I have been told i look like that hayden pennitere, does not mean i would ever use a photo of her that is too strange! Are you meeting for drinks or coffee? I for one am interested to hear what happens :D

The only reason now i would meet is the curiousity at what she's playing at. The only thing that doesn't fit is the photo. On the phone she seemed genuine. She took my number first, she phoned me and didn't even hide her number. She told me her name and what she does for a living. I just googled her phone number and things came up about her, her name and her business. Everything else she told me is true...strange one..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper

I don't buy the 'just happens to look a lot like that model' excuse; (

I believe when it was suggested that she looks like the model that it was possible to confuse the two, not that she put a picture of the model in place of herself because they were similar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

But these kind of sites could attract weirdos/dangerous people.....? At least if you meet someone in person you can make the decision to accept or reject them straight away........

You can also meet weirdos in pubs too, though.

An example - about two weeks before my last relationship (who I met online!), I was in a pub with some friends. A guy came up and started chatting to me (I'd been doing karaoke and he came up to tell me I have a lovely singing voice). He was friendly, funny, sweet and intelligent. We spent the entire night chatting, he included my friends, bought me a drink, all the typical 'I want to get to know you' things.

After he and I walked my friends to their taxi (they live on the southside, I am on the northside so get taxis alone), he walked me to mine. He kissed me, I reciprocated. He then slammed me against a wall, choked me with one hand while pinning me against the wall with the other, then punched me in the face. I eventually struggled enough to get free, and ran, got a taxi. Next morning, I had bruises all over my jaw and fingerprints on my throat. Now, obviously I was stupid to let a guy walk me to my taxi, but after spending the night chatting in a bar, while I and he were both totally sober, you don't assume that they're a freak.

So, it can happen both online and offline! I think caution is advised whatever method you use to get to know people.

LyndaMcL wrote: »
    You can also meet weirdos in pubs too, though.

An example - about two weeks before my last relationship (who I met online!), I was in a pub with some friends. A guy came up and started chatting to me (I'd been doing karaoke and he came up to tell me I have a lovely singing voice). He was friendly, funny, sweet and intelligent. We spent the entire night chatting, he included my friends, bought me a drink, all the typical 'I want to get to know you' things.

After he and I walked my friends to their taxi (they live on the southside, I am on the northside so get taxis alone), he walked me to mine. He kissed me, I reciprocated. He then slammed me against a wall, choked me with one hand while pinning me against the wall with the other, then punched me in the face. I eventually struggled enough to get free, and ran, got a taxi. Next morning, I had bruises all over my jaw and fingerprints on my throat. Now, obviously I was stupid to let a guy walk me to my taxi, but after spending the night chatting in a bar, while I and he were both totally sober, you don't assume that they're a freak.

So, it can happen both online and offline! I think caution is advised whatever method you use to get to know people.

That's horrible. Did you report it to the Guards?

mood wrote: »
    That's horrible. Did you report it to the Guards?

Of course. It was fine, could have been a hell of a lot worse.

I just told that story to point out that there are freaks both offline and online, you never know until something happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭riveratom

Maybe we are getting to the actual centre of the matter there now. You have clearly been using the site for different reasons than I have. I'm not looking for a fling, that would be a waste of time for me, I could have met a girl off the site for a fling last week, if I did, it would have been an absolute waste of time for both of us, given what I am looking for, and have since managed to find offline, so the point really is moot.

No I haven't, I want something serious, I just mean that I am still open to whatever might happen, with whoever I might meet.

Of course. It was fine, could have been a hell of a lot worse.

I just told that story to point out that there are freaks both offline and online, you never know until something happens.

I know. You can meet weird/dangerous people anywhere. Once you care careful about any online date it shouldn't be anymore risky than meeting someone in a pub etc.

I know. You can meet weird/dangerous people anywhere. Once you care careful about any online date it shouldn't be anymore risky than meeting someone in a pub etc.

At least in person there should be no deception about looks etc, and no need for lies on an OD site profile.

• Advertisement

At least in person there should be no deception about looks etc, and no need for lies on an OD site profile.

Well, if you find someone has lied to you just walk away and cut contact.

OD is not perfect but once you are careful and have your eyes open and don't get too hung up on things it should all be good. If you can't do this then you shouldn't be on dating sites.

Well, if you find someone has lied to you just walk away and cut contact.

OD is not perfect but once you are careful and have your eyes open and don't get too hung up on things it should all be good. If you can't do this then you shouldn't be on dating sites.

I have absolutely no experience of any dating at all.............how embarrassing is that???
    :o

I have absolutely no experience of any dating at all.............how embarrassing is that???
    :o

That's not embarrassing. I know plenty of people who have never dated, who are much older than I am.

That's not embarrassing. I know plenty of people who have never dated, who are much older than I am.

I'm oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooold:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Prick!

Sure you have only yourself to please Mick :D

Prick! wrote: »
    Sure you have only yourself to please Mick :D

Have sore hands!!!!!!! :D

I know how old you are! Still, I don't think it's that big a problem. I would imagine it's harder to meet people when you're using some wheels, which would account for why you're still single. There unfortunately IS a prejudice against things like that. I dated a guy back when I was 18 (nearly 6 years ago), who was 28. I was his first and only girlfriend because he found it difficult to date because of his wheels. It's unfortunate that there is a prejudice against that sort of thing in the dating world, but at the same time, when you meet the right person who DOESN'T discriminate, it'll be worth the wait. :)

I know how old you are! Still, I don't think it's that big a problem. I would imagine it's harder to meet people when you're using some wheels, which would account for why you're still single. There unfortunately IS a prejudice against things like that. I dated a guy back when I was 18 (nearly 6 years ago), who was 28. I was his first and only girlfriend because he found it difficult to date because of his wheels. It's unfortunate that there is a prejudice against that sort of thing in the dating world, but at the same time, when you meet the right person who DOESN'T discriminate, it'll be worth the wait. :)

You rock.

Don't want a sympathetic date either. Maybe I should stop sitting behind a feckin laptop too lol!!!!???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

Don't want a sympathetic date either. Maybe I should stop sitting behind a feckin laptop too lol!!!!???
    That would defo help.

Age is but a number :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement