Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread 3..**READ 1ST POST Oct 2012**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

mood wrote: »
    Micky 32 you never explained how you 'google' a photo. I would be interested to know how it's done.

I did explain in an earlier post. Download the photo to PC. Go to google and click on images. In the search bar you will see a camera icon. Click on it and upload the photo.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Micky 32 wrote: »
    In general, i don't get women anywhere close to that cute writing me on POF :p so that's why i smelled a rat :D

I'd put it down to experience and move on........

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

The lying alone would be a red flag for me but I would be very curious to see what she actually looks like. Seeing as she send you the photo privately I don't see why she couldn't have sent one of herself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

I don't think she was winding me up, i think she thought she might get away with that photo, especially if she thinks that's who she looks like..

She was the one who phoned me ( number wasn't hidden), and told me the truth about everything else, name , business she is in etc. I googled her number and her info matched.

But there has to be a reason she used a fake picture. Even if she DOES look like that person, why use a fake picture? You could even use a terrible quality webcam picture instead! I was once told I looked like a pretty version of Ugly Betty, but I sure as hell didn't stick a pic of her on my profile!

Have you searched for a LinkedIn or Facebook account?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

Did you know the girls before you went on dates with them? I think it is extremely difficult to hit it off with someone on a first date from OD when you know very little about the person.

I am also fascinated how someone can date for 9 years and not to stay with them longer? This is based that my "serious" relationships last 3, 9 to 12 months.

I am just interested as to where I am going wrong...as surely out of 200+ guys at least one of them should have worked out.

Yeah in both cases I knew the girl beforehand, in the first case (5 year relationship), we knew each other for years as kids and more or less hung around together. When we started going out, we were loves young dream, the "Jason & Kylie" of our parish! But I was too immature at the age that that relationship ended to be able to fix or compromise what were very different views and perspectives that were emerging from our developing adult personalities as we got older and wiser.

Then that finished and I was single for a bit but never bothered with dating, then one night went out and met another girl I knew from my younger days, (I went to her debs as a kid years previous), and next thing we know, we are hugely attracted to each other and going out together for years. I was so into this girl, I could have been out and about with my mates and I didn't even notice other women as I was just simply extremely happy in with my lot, although like all couples, we had disagreements about things from time to time.

Maybe I just landed on my feet on both occasions, in fact, with hindsight, I probably did. For right or for wrong, I judge the OD scene against the above backdrop to my life and going on dates here there and everywhere is just extremely difficult to reconcile with anything that happened romantically in my life in the 18 years that have passed since I turned 18!

• Advertisement

I did explain in an earlier post. Download the photo to PC. Go to google and click on images. In the search bar you will see a camera icon. Click on it and upload the photo.

You just said upload the photo but didn't explain how! Anyway, I figured it out. Had to used a different search engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭cloud_dancer

LyndaMcL wrote: »
    I don't think she was winding me up, i think she thought she might get away with that photo, especially if she thinks that's who she looks like..

She was the one who phoned me ( number wasn't hidden), and told me the truth about everything else, name , business she is in etc. I googled her number and her info matched.

But there has to be a reason she used a fake picture. Even if she DOES look like that person, why use a fake picture? You could even use a terrible quality webcam picture instead! I was once told I looked like a pretty version of Ugly Betty, but I sure as hell didn't stick a pic of her on my profile!

Agreed. Maybe she's a few sambo's short of a picnic and actually thought she'd get away with it.

There's a reason all right, it's because she is probably completely different in appearance from the person who she thinks she looks like. She may have similar eyes, or a similar pout, to the girl in the pic, but be a completely different shape or size to the girl.

Seriously, if you have to put up a pic of someone else in order to get an audience on OD, what are ya at like???

EDIT: Would you not mail her back and tell her you've Googled her pic and found it to be of another person who is a celebrity and ask her to explain herself in that regard? Ultimately if you didn't make this discovery, she could have completely wasted your time going on a date by misrepresenting herself. How would she like it if you did that to her?

Yeah in both cases I knew the girl beforehand, in the first case (5 year relationship), we knew each other for years as kids and more or less hung around together. When we started going out, we were loves young dream, the "Jason & Kylie" of our parish! But I was too immature at the age that that relationship ended to be able to fix or compromise what were very different views and perspectives that were emerging from our developing adult personalities as we got older and wiser.

Then that finished and I was single for a bit but never bothered with dating, then one night went out and met another girl I knew from my younger days, (I went to her debs as a kid years previous), and next thing we know, we are hugely attracted to each other and going out together for years. I was so into this girl, I could have been out and about with my mates and I didn't even notice other women as I was just simply extremely happy in with my lot, although like all couples, we had disagreements about things from time to time.

Maybe I just landed on my feet on both occasions, in fact, with hindsight, I probably did. For right or for wrong, I judge the OD scene against the above backdrop to my life and going on dates here there and everywhere is just extremely difficult to reconcile with anything that happened romantically in my life in the 18 years that have passed since I turned 18!

Honestly, it sounds as though you really did land on your feet with those! I understand comparing OD against those sort of relationships, I think we've all done it to some extent. Before I ever tried OD, I'd been in a couple of long term relationships that were with someone I'd known for ages, and someone I'd known through friends for a while (but not well). They just fell into place and were easy. So I can understand that.

Problem is, OD and dating in general isn't like that. Honestly, I consider myself and anyone else who fell into a long term relationship that easily to be extremely lucky because that's just not how it generally works!

Nowadays (I'm nearly a year out of a long term thing), I wouldn't even consider thinking seriously about somebody for at least several months because I truly believe that my long term relationships didn't work for a reason, so obviously that is not the way to go for me. I don't think you can think seriously about somebody until you know them quite well, which is why with OD and any form of dating, you need to give it a chance, not just one date!

I found her on Facebook. She has no photo on that at all and only 6 friends lol.

• Advertisement

I found her on Facebook. She has no photo on that at all and only 6 friends lol.

If that's the case, I'd imagine she's extremely unattractive or has some 'issues,' because otherwise, why hide how you look from the world and only have details of what you do for work available online?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper

You can also use tineye for image lookups

There's a reason all right, it's because she is probably completely different in appearance from the person who she thinks she looks like. She may have similar eyes, or a similar pout, to the girl in the pic, but be a completely different shape or size to the girl.

Seriously, if you have to put up a pic of someone else in order to get an audience on OD, what are ya at like???

EDIT: Would you not mail her back and tell her you've Googled her pic and found it to be of another person who is a celebrity and ask her to explain herself in that regard? Ultimately if you didn't make this discovery, she could have completely wasted your time going on a date by misrepresenting herself. How would she like it if you did that to her?

Apparently according to her POF profile she is 5 foot 7 and athletic :D:D. Yes i did, that is what i said in my text. I sent how come you sent me a photo of ( the girl in the pic) not sure if i can mention the models name on this... and the reply was because she looks a " bit" like her.

Are you 'friends' on facebook? if so and you can see her wall, photos etc and she has none of herself at all then that is very strange and screams major insecurity to me. I know people who don't use facebook much as they are private people but still have one or two photos.

Apparently according to her POF profile she is 5 foot 7 and athletic :D:D. Yes i did, that is what i said in my text. I sent how come you sent me a photo of ( the girl in the pic) not sure if i can mention the models name on this... and the reply was because she looks a " bit" like her.

I bet that looking a 'bit' like her means she has blonde hair. And I bet that 'athletic' means she walks to and from the fridge regularly. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

Jaysus. Mind yourself.

Micky 32 even that designer doesn't look that good in other photos. That look like a professionally styled photo for a magazine or something. It all very odd.

I don't think you can think seriously about somebody until you know them quite well, which is why with OD and any form of dating, you need to give it a chance, not just one date!

I didn't start into either of those LTR's (Long Term Relationships lol!), with a notion that it had to be serious from the get-go, I was just extremely lucky now I suppose with hindsight, that, speaking for myself, I was massively attracted to my respective new beau at the time, and it appeared to me at the time, that the attraction was mutual, not just on a physical level, but also on other more abstract levels, such as we appreciated each others sense of humour, we seemed to be intellectually on the same level, conversationally we enjoyed talking and listening and bantering on about stuff in the same way, how we viewed problems, etc.

But in both cases, it was a big attraction that seemed mutual that led to a LTR, not just two people who decided to get into a LTR just for the sake of it!

Ye know what Eddie Hobbs would be saying to ya...! "If it looks too good to be true, it's usually because it IS too good to be true!!!" :D:D:D

Are you 'friends' on facebook? if so and you can see her wall, photos etc and she has none of herself at all then that is very strange and screams major insecurity to me. I know people who don't use facebook much as they are private people but still have one or two photos.

No not friends with her on FB. I put her number in the search and her profile came up, no photo's and all is private on her wall..

I just get a reply from the text i sent about asking to see her photo, her reply is " Only way is meet and see..If you don't like me well nothing lost, what do you think?"

• Advertisement

No not friends with her on FB. I put her number in the search and her profile came up, no photo's and all is private on her wall..

I just get a reply from the text i sent about asking to see her photo, her reply is " Only way is meet and see..If you don't like me well nothing lost, what do you think?"

I think it could be interesting if you do decide to go.

What time is it supposed to be at? Waiting with bated breath tbh! :pac:

I wouldn't bother. There is something lost... your time! Why people think it's ok to waste someone's time is beyond me!

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Ammsy500

Micky 32 I don't mean to sound rude or anything but have you been on many dates from online dating or offline? Getting your hopes up? Is it a case of believing that this girl will pretty much look the same? too good to be true kind of thing....Sounds well dodgey. I would say meet in a public place anyway well that's if she does actually show up!

Being a girl I would most certainly not meet a guy who had a fake photo up I would seriously question my safety and my sanity :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

There is no good reason for not sending a picture before you meet. None.

What planet is this girl on, is she even in the same solar system as the rest of us?!? Do you not think that that is an incredibly childish way to carry on??? You might go on a date with her, is it really too much to ask, to be able to see a recent up to date picture of the girl before you commit to meeting her?!?!?

It's as clear as daylight that she is trying to manipulate you into going a date where she looks nothing whatsoever like the girl in the picture that she has "borrowed". EDIT: That's if she even plans on showing up, it sounds like it could be one of those scenario's where she plans to stand you up because she is angry at men in general because nobody will go on a date with her.

I've heard of desperate but Jesus Christ, that takes the biscuit!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Prick!

1. The pic looks like it was taken from a magazine or something
    2. The woman isn't attractive to me in it
    3. If she wanted something serious she would send a pic, she's messing you about
    4. The facebook profile, she probably set it up so all her pof guys who believe its her add her. Bet there's no female friends on that ;)

Ammsy500 wrote: »
    Micky 32 I don't mean to sound rude or anything but have you been on many dates from online dating or offline? Getting your hopes up? Is it a case of believing that this girl will pretty much look the same? too good to be true kind of thing....Sounds well dodgey. I would say meet in a public place anyway well that's if she does actually show up!

Being a girl I would most certainly not meet a guy who had a fake photo up I would seriously question my safety and my sanity :D

I certainly know she doesn't look like this girl in the photo. However there is always that chance she could be ok, at this stage though it's curiousity only..

As for OD, i'm a pro. being doing it on/off since the year 2000. Had so many dates i have lost count. OD doesn't work and is one of the biggest waste of time ever invented.. I just live in hope, maybe i might get lucky one day...who knows, i suppose like the lotto. you're not in you can't win :rolleyes:

Even just meet up for a short date. In all honestly what else can she expect from you when she hasn't even let you know what she looks like. We are all dying to know now!

I just live in hope, maybe i might get lucky one day...

*HFC takes out the smelling salts...* :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Ye know what Eddie Hobbs would be saying to ya...! "If it looks too good to be true, it's usually because it IS too good to be true!!!" :D:D:D

This is especially applicable to OD!! :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement