Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread 3..**READ 1ST POST Oct 2012**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

not the ones I've seen. maybe the women are more articulate than the men :) the few I've seen are very short and they don't have good english.

And none of them drink or smoke.

And they all want a good Christian man who loves god and will love them the same way

*edit, not all of the above may be true.... in fact, some of it isn't!!*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Galvasean wrote: »
    Jebus, it's raining dates!
    What are you all taking that's made the difference? (Can I have some?)

Loads of sh!te, all legal :D

Actually I've been working out quite hard, lost loads of weight and then recently put up a nice photo a friend of a friend took of me that wasn't even posed for. Since then I regularly get messages, like at least one a day from different women !!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

At the risk of tarring, is it just me or by n' large do foreign people's profiles tend to have better standards of English in them? :o

Hell no :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

Well we had our third date last night and it went great like the others. Can't meet each other for nearly a week because of work and other commitments. So I guess we'll see if the spark is still there after a break. Although we'll still text and talk in that time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

At the risk of tarring, is it just me or by n' large do foreign people's profiles tend to have better standards of English in them? :o
    not the ones I've seen. maybe the women are more articulate than the men :) the few I've seen are very short and they don't have good english.

I don't know about the standard of English, but one thing I have noticed is that the foreign girls generally have much better photos. Properly exposed almost professional looking photos. Not many group shots or self portraits. It's like they all have a friend who is a good photographer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭cloud_dancer

Daveysil15 wrote: »

I don't know about the standard of English, but one thing I have noticed is that the foreign girls generally have much better photos. Properly exposed almost professional looking photos. Not many group shots or self portraits. It's like they all have a friend who is a good photographer.

One photo that's professional screams fake to me. Even guys have these and think they'll get away with it. although a lot of eastern european girls also get professional pictures taken to see if they can get modelling work. Could be legit!

gatecrash wrote: »

This likely has some truth to it. well the not drinking part anyway.

One photo that's professional screams fake to me. Even guys have these and think they'll get away with it. although a lot of eastern european girls also get professional pictures taken to see if they can get modelling work. Could be legit!

One photo on its own screams fake yes. Someone with several photos, both professional and amateur is more believable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

I think she was just comparing the men, not the site.

But men in real life and men on a free dating site are totally different. It's not a fare comparison.

mood wrote: »
    But men in real life and men on a free dating site are totally different. It's not a fare comparison.

How exactly are they different? Is there not good and bad in both worlds?

• Advertisement

How exactly are they different? Is there not good and bad in both worlds?

They are different in that, going by what the women on this thread say about POF and other free sites, some men send photo of their genitals etc. In real life guys generally do not flash at you and expect you to want to date/sleep... unless in Copper of course!

They are different in that, going by what the women on this thread say about POF and other free sites, some men send photo of their genitals etc. In real life guys generally do not flash at you and expect you to want to date/sleep... unless in Copper of course!

Well I think it would be a lot easier to send a photo of your genitals over the internet than to flash your bits in public. You can get arrested for doing it in public. Also these dic pic sharing weirdos are not always online. They go out to the real world too.

Well I think it would be a lot easier to send a photo of your genitals over the internet than to flash your bits in public. You can get arrested for doing it in public. Also these dic pic sharing weirdos are not always online. They go out to the real world too.

Agreed. The men online are also the men in real life. They are are same men. They just get away with more online and get to do things they couldn't normally do.

I obviously know that :rolleyes:. My point is that judging Irish men by the actions of some of these perverted creeps on a free dating site is unfair the men in general.

I obviously know that :rolleyes:. My point is that judging Irish men by the actions of some of these perverted creeps on a free dating site is unfair the men in general.

Of course it was an unfair generalisation, but there are perveted creeps in the real world too. She made the point that her ex used it to meet someone else, and also her friends husband was on it. It doesn't matter wheather you're online or offline. You're either a creep or you're not - simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭duke916

And they all want a good Christian man who loves god and will love them the same way

just had to reply to this. i got caught out with the 'christian' thing. went on a date with an absolute stunner from eastern europe. met me in town, jumped into her car and went to the beach for a walk. all was fine, good conversation and on the way back to the carpark i noticed the 'jesus sticker' on the boot. my jaw dropped, words in my mind were 'you're fcukin jokin'. she must have seen the expression on my face when i seen it because she said 'i saw that!' i turned, tried to get out of it and said 'yeah ..nice reg plate. very clean indeedy'. she told me she was a member of a baptist church and all her friends and family were heavily involved. bit of an...actually no, it was very awkward. anyway, rather than being a twat and leaving her high and dry, i text her later on and basically said her culture was too different to mine and it wouldnt have worked. in fairness she was really nice and full of conversation, but when someone tells you they listen to christian rock and spirit fm on the radio then alarm bells must ring quite loudly! no way was i getting into something like that.

thread is brilliant btw :)

duke916 wrote: »
    just had to reply to this. i got caught out with the 'christian' thing. went on a date with an absolute stunner from eastern europe. met me in town, jumped into her car and went to the beach for a walk. all was fine, good conversation and on the way back to the carpark i noticed the 'jesus sticker' on the boot. my jaw dropped, words in my mind were 'you're fcukin jokin'. she must have seen the expression on my face when i seen it because she said 'i saw that!' i turned, tried to get out of it and said 'yeah ..nice reg plate. very clean indeedy'. she told me she was a member of a baptist church and all her friends and family were heavily involved. bit of an...actually no, it was very awkward. anyway, rather than being a twat and leaving her high and dry, i text her later on and basically said her culture was too different to mine and it wouldnt have worked. in fairness she was really nice and full of conversation, but when someone tells you they listen to christian rock and spirit fm on the radio then alarm bells must ring quite loudly! no way was i getting into something like that.

thread is brilliant btw :)

Tbh if she was sound and attractive I wouldn't really care. As long as she's not a Satanist or a blouse wearing willy hugger or something weird like that. Sure I went out with an Eastern European girl once who had feck all English. She had to bring a dictionary along on our dates. It was awkward for a while. She was hot though so I stuck with it and gradually her English got better.

Someone religious beliefs don't always cause problems but I can see how they can. Some people might expect you to live your life according to their beliefs with could be very difficult in a long term relationship or a marriage. I know someone who said his beliefs are the most important thing in his life. Considering he has a wife and child I find this shocking.

If someone is trying to convert you or wants you to live a certain way, then it would be a serious issue alright. Otherwise I wouldn't have a problem with it. Having said that, I've noticed a lot of Eastern European women get married and settle down at a young age. They're more traditional which some people may not like.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭duke916

Someone religious beliefs don't always cause problems but I can see how they can. Some people might expect you to live your life according to their beliefs with could be very difficult in a long term relationship or a marriage. I know someone who said his beliefs are the most important thing in his life. Considering he has a wife and child I find this shocking.

The belief's wouldnt bother me. Each to their own. I dont preach about being catholic nor do i bother going to church unless its for the usual ocassions as im sure with the rest of us; we take this kinda stuff on the chin, but baptist, evangelists etc all shove this stuff down your throat and do expect you to abide by their rules which means it becomes part of your life, which in turn it becomes a problem. No sex before marriage, no drinking etc...."I love jesus' stuff stamped everywhere. No thanks. Too extreme for me. All outdated nonsense in my opinion but thats a different debate. No girl is worth that. A little compromise; yes but, you shouldnt have to completely change for anyone. You are who you are. End of. Like, i listen to all sorts of music, was into a lot of metal when i was a teenager and still listen to it at times. Now there are two Slayer albums i can think of at the moment; 'god hates us all' and 'christ illusion'. can you imagine inviting her around. so she's having a wander around...comes across those cd's. holy sh1t!!!!! (excuse the pun) ...but there would be murder! ..or any music with bad language for that matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Sure I went out with an Eastern European girl once who had feck all English. She had to bring a dictionary along on our dates. It was awkward for a while. She was hot though so I stuck with it and gradually her English got better.
    That's actually really sweet :)

I've been in that situation before when dating abroad- as in speaking in the host language- and it's incredibly hard!

That's actually really sweet :)

I've been in that situation before when dating abroad- as in speaking in the host language- and it's incredibly hard!

It was in a way I suppose. She would keep getting things wrong and it was difficult to communicate at times, but she was really nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

Tbh if she was sound and attractive I wouldn't really care. As long as she's not a Satanist or a blouse wearing willy hugger or something weird like that. Sure I went out with an Eastern European girl once who had feck all English. She had to bring a dictionary along on our dates. It was awkward for a while. She was hot though so I stuck with it and gradually her English got better.

What's wrong with Satanists?!?

What's wrong with Satanists?!?

They tend to be quite high maintenance, what with scrawling pentagrams on your chest, using your blood to paint on the walls and floors.

Stuff like that.

They tend to be quite high maintenance, what with scrawling pentagrams on your chest, using your blood to paint on the walls and floors.

Stuff like that.

The one Satanist I know is saner than any practicing Catholic I've ever met!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

I have to say, a language barrier of that intensity would be a massive deal-breaker for me, regardless of how hot the person is. I need to be able to have an intelligent conversation with someone, not just look at them.

As for strong religious beliefs - no, sorry, couldn't do it.

Honey-ec wrote: »
    I have to say, a language barrier of that intensity would be a massive deal-breaker for me, regardless of how hot the person is. I need to be able to have an intelligent conversation with someone, not just look at them.

As for strong religious beliefs - no, sorry, couldn't do it.

You would be surprised at times the way there are still a few (very few, but they do exist), girls in Ireland who are seriously into the whole "Catholic" thing, no sex outside marriage, saving themselves for their future husband, etc, and they'll often be very happy to say this out loud in company if you ever bump into them.

I think at least 3 times over the last say 10 years, I've happened to be in the company of these kind of women and I've never said it, but I have really wondered how they can completely deprive themselves of a what I would consider to be the kind of normal sexual exploration that would be associated with any person in their early-mid 20's.

Interesting time for me to dip back into this thread! Was chatting with a guy on POF there months back (when I was actually still using POF), exchanged numbers and ended up exchanging hundreds of texts in the space of a few days... then he started with the born again Christian stuff. I've been there, done that... so I wasn't upset with him, but asked him if he was literally being a "fisher of men" on POF... apparently so yes, he was trying to save the souls of us obviously heathen harlots who are attempting to "date". I put him in touch with a few of my Christian friends who attended a church with a large congregation of single people who weren't in the usual 19-25 age group and eventually a few weeks later got a "Thanks loads" text.

Just from having done the Christian thing, if a person really is dedicated to their faith, it is a very difficult thing to overcome for both parties. The biblical phrase "unevenly yoked" would be accurate to my experience.

When starting to date someone you've met online and say gone on a date or two, how much contact would you normally have? Between dates that is...

• Advertisement

When starting to date someone you've met online and say gone on a date or two, how much contact would you normally have? Between dates that is...

depends i suppose.

If you want to see them again, a couple of texts a day.
    If you don't want to see them again, then i wouldn't have any contact.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement