Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread 3..**READ 1ST POST Oct 2012**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    I'm 5'8, maybe that's why I'm having no luck. It's hard to believe 1 inch would make such a difference.

I think only a same amount of people will stick to certain height restrictions and I think some men on the thread in the past have used it as an excuse for their lack of success on dating sites. It could be down to many, many different thinks. For example I'm not interested in a long distance relationship so won't reply to anyone who doesn't live quite close to me. I also don't want to get involved with a smoker. I could go on but you get the picture. If someone doesn't reply don't take it to heart. If you haven't got many replies take a different approach, write email a different way, change your profile and photos, maybe try a different dating site etc. Even take a break for it for a few months and rejoin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Dermo73 wrote: »
    My advice for what it's worth. Try POF for starters. It's free so you can try and not buy. There's lots of users and it seems to be working for a good few on here of late. Me included :) Take a bit of time to write up a decent profile - include some interests, hobbies and a bit of humour if you can. Stick up a few good pics of yourself. Then send lots of messages to profiles that catch your eye (and your brain). Take time to personalise the messages to each user, refer to interesting things on their profiles, use a bit of humour. Accept that the vast majority will not respond but don't get disheartened. Women get a lot of messages and they can't / won't respond to lots of them. It can take a while to make progress but there are some good catches out there still. And then update us on progress. There's always some good advice or encouragement on this thread. Good luck with the fishing :cool:

Cheers, have my account set up, just have a few things left to tweak and i'll be ready for road. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭smallgarden

For the people who were interested in meetup.com, there is a singles night in Dublin on there next Friday.

I'm not involved, just checked there out of curiosity.

It's a good site, I use it for meeting people while travelling.

I have a gf, so I'll not be at the singles night.

what group is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Well dates 1 & 2 went well. Genuine spark etc. date 3 not so much.

Back to the search!! ;-(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

Well dates 1 & 2 went well. Genuine spark etc. date 3 not so much.

Back to the search!! ;-(

Are you really going to give up after one not so great date? If the first two dates went well I'd give another a go, everyone can have an off day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,133 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Never posted in this section of boards before but always ''Liked it'' :pac:

I used to be a proper member of POF and another site few years back before i met my girlfriend *Not online*

I still actually have an old account i never really use more browsing out of boredom if anything.

To be totally honest i had a lot of experience with POF and i dont envy anyone having to put there hopes in finding anyone on that place.

I met a good few women off that site out of all of them i have maybe one i would class as ''Normal'' :P

I have to admit before i start ranting that there are some friendly women on that site from time to time but i found it was rare.

Its a dumbed down version of OkCupid which is clear when u compare both sites. I see it as nothing more then a dating extension to Facebook.

All i know is i have come across all kinds on there with all kinds of issues and there usually on that site for a reason.

Use it as experience because u will be extremely lucky to find anyone whos living in the real world on there ha!!

I aint even just basing this on my experiences alone i know a good few men and women who have had similar issues with the place.

Are you really going to give up after one not so great date? If the first two dates went well I'd give another a go, everyone can have an off day.

Not my call unfortunately!! :-(

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Aw :( I think its silly of anyone to give up on something after two good dates and one bad but her loss.

miamee wrote: »
    Aw :( I think its silly of anyone to give up on something after two good dates and one bad but her loss.

That's what I'm telling myself!! :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭cloud_dancer

Fine.

But don't come complaining that there are 'no decent men' left. People can't have it both ways.

Of course, this also applies to men who have unrealistic expectations too.

I could be wrong, but chiselled 6ft+ male models and slender, big-boobed temptresses are a bit thin on the OD ground.

I don't know about that! The guy I met is 6ft+, very good looking, exactly my type looks wise, share lots of common interests :pac: Just so happens I'm his type too :D

We shall see how date No. 2 goes before we get too excited!

On the whole height thing - I prefer tall guys just as some guys prefer slim girls, long hair, certain types of personalities. I'm 5'5". My last boyfriend would only be attracted to girls under 5'6" who were slender. It works both ways. It's all a matter of personal preference.

• Advertisement

You are probably better off without her then, its just silly to give up that easily.

Id love to see who half the people on here who are members of POF are on there just out of interest :pac:. Actually probley best i dont know when i think bout it.......... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭riveratom

So...had my two dates this week. Both lovely girls, and both went very nicely. I think I might like one more than the other though...but not really sure!! One date was very short, but we agreed to meet again. The second was a night out and went nicely, plenty of chat and the likes, just not totally sure how much spark there was, although we did snog for a bit :)

Hmmmm! They were both first dates though, so sometimes it's tricky to call....

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Ammsy500

To be totally honest i had a lot of experience with POF and i dont envy anyone having to put there hopes in finding anyone on that place.

I met a good few women off that site out of all of them i have maybe one i would class as ''Normal'' :P

I have to admit before i start ranting that there are some friendly women on that site from time to time but i found it was rare.

All i know is i have come across all kinds on there with all kinds of issues and there usually on that site for a reason.

Use it as experience because u will be extremely lucky to find anyone whos living in the real world on there ha!!

I aint even just basing this on my experiences alone i know a good few men and women who have had similar issues with the place.

I'm sorry but I find your post very patronising to the women on this thread who use Pof. I'm sure you may not of had great experiences on it but do you ever wonder what kind of women you decided to meet from it. Out of all the them you only found one 'normal'?? What made them so strange that you never sensed this in their messages to you. I can honestly say all the men I met off Pof were all actually very 'normal' anyway. Don't get me wrong I'm sure there is a fair share of weirdos on it just like you'll find a few of those weirdos out on a Saturday night aswell. You just have to be smart about who you meet and know whose best to avoid- that normally comes along with general cop on.

And to say you'll be lucky to find anyone who's living in the real world on it, well I can assure you I am definitely living in the real world and so are my friends who are using it. Maybe it's you who needs to get out a bit more before you base your views on the not so 'normal' girls you decided to meet.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭cloud_dancer

I used to be a proper member of POF and another site few years back before i met my girlfriend *Not online*

I still actually have an old account i never really use more browsing out of boredom if anything.

Its a dumbed down version of OkCupid which is clear when u compare both sites. I see it as nothing more then a dating extension to Facebook.

It's all about your attitude. If you think everyone online is a weirdo/away with the birds/full of issues then that's what you are likely to see. Like attracts like in life. On the other hand, if you are genuine yourself and are serious about meeting a nice person you can easily filter out the undesirables.

Does your GF know you still have an account and "browse"? :eek:

Yep my girlfriend knows I don't use use the account anymore just go on odd time for the laugh. I know a lot of people who still do this out of boredom. I've made it clear on there I'm not single.

So ya I'm in a two year relationship before I met my girlfriend I was on that site on and off for fairly long time so I got to know and see a lot of the women on it. Like I said and which seems to of being ignored there is some decent ones on it but its clear that there's a big big amount of people on it male and female who shouldn't be on it.

I always took the whole thing seriously when I was single and put a lot of effort into trying find right person.

As I've proven in relationship I'm in now which is perfect I'm not the one who needs to "change". All u have to do is look on the site sure most the people male and female complain bout the site. There's a huge amount on it who have no idea what they want. Have personalty issues or just go on it to check out the talent.

You girls could be nicest in world and best of luck finding someone but I'm seriously greatfull I don't need to use dating sites anymore there a long hard struggle at times ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Ammsy500

Does your GF know you still have an account and "browse"? :eek:

Was thinking the exact same thing :D why would you still be browsing a dating site if you are in a relationship??

Actually I have noticed that a few times on okcupid especially that some profiles say 'seeing someone'...I don't really get it.

I've also no issue with people on dating sites who want to take it seriously if yous all do that's great I just found most didnt.

Anyway I've nothing to prove I was just commenting it wasn't meant to slate anyone on here so no need to worry :-).

Hopefully anyone who takes it seriously finds what there looking for and avoids the **** out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

For the people who were interested in meetup.com, there is a singles night in Dublin on there next Friday.

I'm not involved, just checked there out of curiosity.

It's a good site, I use it for meeting people while travelling.

I have a gf, so I'll not be at the singles night.

Where?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

Ammsy500 wrote: »
    Was thinking the exact same thing :D why would you still be browsing a dating site if you are in a relationship??

Actually I have noticed that a few times on okcupid especially that some profiles say 'seeing someone'...I don't really get it.

There's a name for such people.

'Timewasters'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

Well I've fallen madly in love. With someone I met on Twitter! So branch out online dating peeps :pac: My profiles may not be long for this world if the end of this week goes well. *fingers crossed*

There's a name for such people.

'Timewasters'

Awwww

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

If you are in a relationship you shouldn't be on a dating site. Out of boredom is a lame excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper

On the whole height thing - I prefer tall guys just as some guys prefer slim girls, long hair, certain types of personalities.

Yes but the difference is across all men there's quite a bit of diversity in terms of preferred body type, hair length and personality.

Across all women there's a lot less variety. As noted in the thread women appear to have a very strong preference for height and you won't find much variety in that preference.

I'm 5'11 so I don't run into this particular issue but I do find it perplexing.

Whether people can "change" their preferences is a tricky issue. If men uniformly preferred women with large breasts and pursued them to the degree women pursue height I think it would be fair to say it would be worth considering whether breasts were really all that important and whether they would really add all that much to their relationship happiness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper

Well I've fallen madly in love. With someone I met on Twitter! So branch out online dating peeps :pac: My profiles may not be long for this world if the end of this week goes well. *fingers crossed*

This is probably the first useful thing I've ever seen come out of twitter well done :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

how the feck did you meet someone on twitter?? im on it myself:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

how the feck did you meet someone on twitter?? im on it myself:confused:

Let's just say I knew of them, liked them, tweeted them. They tweeted back and it went from there :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

Let's just say I knew of them, liked them, tweeted them. They tweeted back and it went from there :)

aw :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭smallgarden

sharper wrote: »
    Yes but the difference is across all men there's quite a bit of diversity in terms of preferred body type, hair length and personality.

Across all women there's a lot less variety. As noted in the thread women appear to have a very strong preference for height and you won't find much variety in that preference.

I'm 5'11 so I don't run into this particular issue but I do find it perplexing.

Whether people can "change" their preferences is a tricky issue. If men uniformly preferred women with large breasts and pursued them to the degree women pursue height I think it would be fair to say it would be worth considering whether breasts were really all that important and whether they would really add all that much to their relationship happiness.

if im reading it correctly thats just pure generalisation.i think youre saying women just go for a specific type and are more limited in their slection but i think the opposite is true.i think women are generally much more open to variety than men

• Advertisement

Hi all, I'm new here.

I was in a similar position. I had a few good dates with a guy. Three in fact. I have been on quite a few dates in the past and am clear on what I'm looking for. I have a fairly strong personality and while this guy was lovely I could easily have walked all over him. I don't want to be with a man where I feel like that. I prefer a more dominant man. One who won't agree with everything I say. Who will argue back. He also came on very strong very quickly. Sure I don't know what I'm at tomorrow let alone the day after!

Not sure why you quoted me I was answering a specific post not a general comment.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement