Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread 3..**READ 1ST POST Oct 2012**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭cloud_dancer

i think the key is to send messages, if no reply,dust yourself off and try someone else, if out in a bar people do the same. i regularly get no replies to emails i send guys. i agree alot with what mood has said already. im average looking and dont get 100s of messages either. i get quite a few views but out of about 30 only 1 or 2 might send me an email at most. id say I go on dates with 2 guys a year from od. recently i've been chatting to guys for about a week back and forth, getting on quite well and then all of a sudden hear nothing back from them

I don't get 100's of messages either! Not to toot my own horn but I'm quite good looking and look after myself well. I'd get chatted up quite a lot on nights out but nights out are rare these days. When you meet someone in a pub you don't know what their intentions are and I find with OD you know that the other person is looking for more than a one night stand (in most cases).

Even when I send the first message I probably get a 50/50 response rate. Sometimes they'll reply once to be polite and then nothing. I get lots of views and meet me things but maybe one or two messages a day. If even that. I've no high maintenance demands or lists of requirements that might put people off. Got loads the first week or two then it went way down. My email filter is quite detailed so maybe that's the the reason. Or more likely men just don't fancy me! It's not as easy as you'd think to find mutual attraction with someone and have compatible personalities and interests. I don't fancy all good looking guys. We just need to keep at it until we strike gold. :)

I've only been on 2 dates in the past couple of years from OD, both recently with the same guy. So far so good. :)

KTRIC wrote: »
    Had a 5th date there and to be honest things are running a bit stale. We are out of things to talk about and it doesn't look like we've a huge amount in common. I think the physical attraction is there but nothing else.

How are things done at this stage when you want to call it time, do you meet, text or call ?

That's a pity. If it was just a few dates with no exclusivity talk yet I'd just send a text. I hate letting people down so it's easier to do it by text.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

Had a 5th date there and to be honest things are running a bit stale. We are out of things to talk about and it doesn't look like we've a huge amount in common. I think the physical attraction is there but nothing else.

How are things done at this stage when you want to call it time, do you meet, text or call ?

Sounds like most married couples then. You've got it made!

You must have had plenty to chat about to get to this stage, surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Prick! wrote: »
    I mail a girl a nice message.

Her reply.

"Sorry but no"

At least she had the decency to reply mate?? I often get nothing.

riveratom wrote: »

Hey dude,

You were saying that you changed your height back to 5'8" from to 5'9" and that you are between both heights. Just change it back! You said you're between both so it's fine to have it as the latter. It'd be different if you were 5'7" or 5'8" even.

I'd also shorten the profile and leave em wanting to find out more!

Try the above and I guarantee you'll start getting more messages. If not you can come back and prove me wrong!

Think of it as a public experiment :)

I agree with the height thing. A girl might have an idea in her head that she wants to date guys 5' 10" + but will more than likely overlook one inch.

Short, informative profiles are good. Just enough to give an idea what you are like and your interests.

• Advertisement

Guys and girls - would you bother sending a message to anyone with "requirements" listed in their profile? Like height, build etc...

Having anything negative in a profile would put me off. Like stating who they don't want contacting them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Guys and girls - would you bother sending a message to anyone with "requirements" listed in their profile? Like height, build etc...

Having anything negative in a profile would put me off. Like stating who they don't want contacting them.

I wouldn't message anyone with 'requirements.' It's like I said in a previous post, everyone has specific things that they like in a partner, that's all well and good. However, most of us aren't arrogant enough to state what we demand in our profiles. I'd imagine that somebody listing their requirements would be a little bit stuck up, for want of a better term.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

I was looking at a profile on OKC there earlier on, and she quite explicitly stated that unless you were a greater than 90% match, don't bother contacting her.

The thing is that the %'s are calculated based on your answers to those ridiculous questions.

Even if this girl had been incredibly attractive, and my match was over 90% I would not have contacted her. Basing your choices on arbitrary questions is stupid imo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭DerekDGoldfish

I only have one "requirement" listing in my profile, once which is an obvious joke (at least I hope people recognise it as a joke)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

That's a pity. If it was just a few dates with no exclusivity talk yet I'd just send a text. I hate letting people down so it's easier to do it by text.

Yep, no exclusivity talk and nothing other than a couple of snogs. I think she might be feeling it as well to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭smallgarden

I only have one "requirement" listing in my profile, once which is an obvious joke (at least I hope people recognise it as a joke)

id get rid of it just in case people dont see it as a joke,i base some of my decisions on gut feeling so if someone has a joke which isnt sitting right with me then id rule them out

id get rid of it just in case people dont see it as a joke,i base some of my decisions on gut feeling so if someone has a joke which isnt sitting right with me then id rule them out

Well without giving away the exact details of it and giving away my profile, its resulted in a few ice breaking messages from girls so I will leave it for the moment.

Well without giving away the exact details of it and giving away my profile, its resulted in a few ice breaking messages from girls so I will leave it for the moment.

Your call. But remember that every joke is at someone else's expense. And someone could take offence. Personally, I'd pm one of the women here and ask her to have a look at it. If she gave it the thumbs down, time to get rid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

I was looking at a profile on OKC there earlier on, and she quite explicitly stated that unless you were a greater than 90% match, don't bother contacting her.

The thing is that the %'s are calculated based on your answers to those ridiculous questions.

Even if this girl had been incredibly attractive, and my match was over 90% I would not have contacted her. Basing your choices on arbitrary questions is stupid imo

Anyone with a bit of sense and maturity wouldn't depend on a dating site 'match' ratings. Surely reading a profile and sending a few email back and forth will tell you more about a person.

Yep, no exclusivity talk and nothing other than a couple of snogs. I think she might be feeling it as well to be honest.

If it hasn't gone further than a couple of snogs a text will be fine.

mood wrote: »

Anyone with a bit of sense and maturity wouldn't depend on a dating site 'match' ratings. Surely reading a profile and sending a few email back and forth will tell you more about a person.

My sentiments exactly. But I couldn't be bothered mailing someone with that demand on her profile.

My sentiments exactly. But I couldn't be bothered mailing someone with that demand on her profile.

It's very childish of her so your right.

There is a profile on OKC, who states a number of times on her profile that people with a low match percentage should stop waisting her time, that she has spent ages filling out the questions and doesnt want to be bothered with people who's % match is below 90.

EDIT..Sorry from reading the origonal post its clear we are talking about the same girl

There is a profile on OKC, who states a number of times on her profile that people with a low match percentage should stop waisting her time, that she has spent ages filling out the questions and doesnt want to be bothered with people who's % match is below 90.

Ha.

I'd say its the same one so!!

EDIT..Sorry from reading the origonal post its clear we are talking about the same girl

How old is this girl? do you find it's younger girls writh these requirements?

• Advertisement

I'm going to guess it is because it's a very childish, naive thing to do.

As far as I remember she is late 20's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

That's probably the biggest turn off in a profile. That and the, "Plenty Of Freaks" and other derogatory headlines.

That match thing on OKC is the greatest load of crap. I've deleted my OKC profile as I was getting nothing from it. At least on POF I have some chance. Another thing that was off-putting about OKC was they way on some profiles it would say "Replies very selectively." Again a waste of time contacting anyone like that.

I'm going to guess it is because it's a very childish, naive thing to do.

From what I remember she's in her 30's. There was nothing about her profile that made me want to contact her anyway, it was just the 90% thing that stuck with me.

If there had been something I would've sent a message and damn her demands! Nothing ventured, nothing gained!

Daveysil15 wrote: »

That's probably the biggest turn off in a profile. That and the, "Plenty Of Freaks" and other derogatory

Why are these people on the site if they think that way. No one is forcing them. Putting stuff like that on your profile probably attracts weirdos.

I love the "no weirdos please" profiles. Like someone will think to themselves oh I'm a weirdo, I better not contact him/her!

As far as I remember she is late 20's.

She should really know better. These people have no idea of how negative they come accross.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭smallgarden

"Replies very selectively." Again a waste of time contacting anyone like that.

i wouldnt rule out people who replies selectively, if i get a whole heap of people i wouldnt reply to id prob get that on my profile but i could be not replying to a chest, a non photo, a scary looking person, a person who reminds me of a relative etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

Why are these people on the site if they think that way. No one is forcing them. Putting stuff like that on your profile probably attracts weirdos.

I love the "no weirdos please" profiles. Like someone will think to themselves oh I'm a weirdo, I better not contact him/her!

Yeah its a bit stupid. It would be like going into a night club with a t-shirt saying, "I fu*king hate night clubs." People shouldn't be part of something they have a negative opinion of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper

Another thing that was off-putting about OKC was they way on some profiles it would say "Replies very selectively." Again a waste of time contacting anyone like that.

That feature doesn't work very well. In addition to being extremely unreliable even when it works properly it tags people as "replies selectively" if they take more than 24 hours to reply to a mail.

Generally I like the okc question system. Yes there's a lot of silly questions in there but also a lot that aren't silly. Since they added the ability to make questions public you can very quickly see if someone has a series of incompatible views.

• Advertisement

She should really know better. These people have no idea of how negative they come accross.

She also had a number of negative comments towards religious people, now while I’m an atheist myself her comments along the line of “In the past i’ve wasted 5 dates going out with a guy to find out he believes in god” were also quite nasty.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement