Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread 3..**READ 1ST POST Oct 2012**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Had a first date there last week with a girl who seemed unbelievable - gorgeous, fit, smart, and hilarious... plus a total nerd. Anyways she insisted on a kiss & agreed to a second date.

Sadly, a guy she's liked in her work for ages asked her for a drink two days later & as (in her words) she's a bit hooked on him, she doesn't think it'd be fair to date me at the moment, but if it doesn't work out with him, I should drop her a line. (I said thanks, but that I'd leave the messaging up to her)

Bit of a kick in the nads, but could be worse I guess! Back to the drawing board :)

have to admire her honesty.

Some women would have done the second date, then given the not gonna work out spiel

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

have to admire her honesty.

Some women would have done the second date, then given the not gonna work out spiel

Definitely, even the fact she had the confidence & honesty to be upfront about it was awesome.

Hopefully the work guy will make a balls of things, but if not, then he's a lucky chap :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

Has anyone seen the glamour model on POF? Well she has one professional glamour photo of herself in lingerie. The rest are snapshots. She's 31. I bet she's getting plenty of attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    Has anyone seen the glamour model on POF? Well she has one professional glamour photo of herself in lingerie. The rest are snapshots. She's 31. I bet she's getting plenty of attention.

I'm sure it's the type of attention most women wouldn't want. If you post photo of yourself in lingerie on a dating site you have no right to complain about get pervy emails etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭cloud_dancer

mood wrote: »

I'm sure it's the type of attention most women wouldn't want. If you post photo of yourself in lingerie on a dating site you have no right to complain about get pervy emails etc.

I'm sure 99% of her emails will be dicks :) Maybe she wants flattery. Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm sure the lingerie shots would rule her out as girlfriend material for some guys.

• Advertisement

Exactly. I'd doubt if she's serious about dating and is probably just looking for attention. It's difficult to take someone like that seriously. I saw another profile a while back where the girl was just using it to promote her modeling facebook fanpage. "Please like my page."

Galvasean wrote: »
    "Its really hard to meet new people so why wait, drop me a line and lets start the acquaintance. "

What are you waiting for Galvasean. Put fingers to keys and start the wonderful acquaintance! Delightful! :)

How old is this person?

Daveysil15 wrote: »

Exactly. I'd doubt if she's serious about dating and is probably just looking for attention. It's difficult to take someone like that seriously. I saw another profile a while back where the girl was just using it to promote her modeling facebook fanpage. "Please like my page."

Maybe she's doing the same thing but not directly stating it on the page. It would make sense. Unless you are looking for an intimate encounter, lingerie shots are not a good idea.

I'm sure 99% of her emails will be dicks :) Maybe she wants flattery. Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm sure the lingerie shots would rule her out as girlfriend material for some guys.

Girlfriend material - probably not. One night stand material - more likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper

I made a question on OKC once. "Do you believe in dinosaurs?" Answering that one wrong is an absolute deal-breaker for me (of course). Before you think it's an odd/silly/pointless question, you'd be amazed!

That was you!?

You have no idea what confusion you wrought upon the world with that question. It's been debated, dissected and shoulder shrugged on my homescreen for a long time as people struggle to grasp what it is to believe in a dinosaur.

• Advertisement

I made a question on OKC once. "Do you believe in dinosaurs?" Answering that one wrong is an absolute deal-breaker for me (of course). Before you think it's an odd/silly/pointless question, you'd be amazed!
    "

Unless someone doesn't believe in evolution why would they not believe dinosaurs once existed? I'm possibly missing the point/joke entirely!!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭JimBob777

hi again everybody,just recently re joined pof, i see not much has changed,semes to be a lot of the same faces...but did any1 see that hilarious tagline from a girl on it..." ya cant **** to a personality" haha funniest one i seen yet.. what made it even funnier was the rest of her profiles was just a line of dots

JimBob777 wrote: »
    hi again everybody,just recently re joined pof, i see not much has changed,semes to be a lot of the same faces...but did any1 see that hilarious tagline from a girl on it..." ya cant **** to a personality" haha funniest one i seen yet.. what made it even funnier was the rest of her profiles was just a line of dots

Classy lady :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭riveratom

So after meeting those two girls last week, looks like I will be having date 2 with one this week. The other girls is nice but just don't feel anything there I don't think, and I suspect she feels there was probably no real spark either. With the other girl, we had a pretty short date, and so it's pretty hard to know if there is anything there.....yet....

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Sadly, a guy she's liked in her work for ages asked her for a drink two days later & as (in her words) she's a bit hooked on him, she doesn't think it'd be fair to date me at the moment, but if it doesn't work out with him, I should drop her a line. (I said thanks, but that I'd leave the messaging up to her)

Bit of a kick in the nads, but could be worse I guess! Back to the drawing board :)

Erm, how are you supposed to know if/when it doesn't work out? :confused:
    What are you waiting for Galvasean. Put fingers to keys and start the wonderful acquaintance! Delightful! :)

How old is this person?

Considering she's a robot I'd say only a year or two in age at most ;)
    Unless someone doesn't believe in evolution why would they not believe dinosaurs once existed?

That's it precisely. I don't think I could tolerate being in the company of a person for very long. Certainly I could never respect someone who held such an opinion.

"Every time a child says 'I don't believe in dinosaurs one of them drops dead. Now there's none left!"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Erm, how are you supposed to know if/when it doesn't work out? :confused:

She said if I see her on POF in a month's time (after the guys month-long trial), to give her a message if I'm still single. Makes sense, really! Saying that, the ball is in her court on that one though, I've made my intentions clear :)

That's it precisely. I don't think I could tolerate being in the company of a person for very long. Certainly I could never respect someone who held such an opinion.

Only someone very religious (or very stupid) could not believe in evolution. I couldn't be with someone like that either. The way the question was worded I wasn't sure if it was some kind of joke I wasn't getting or not!

She said if I see her on POF in a month's time (after the guys month-long trial), to give her a message if I'm still single. Makes sense, really! Saying that, the ball is in her court on that one though, I've made my intentions clear :)

The ball should be in her court alright. It's good she was honest with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Katreena

Newbie here and thinking of joining one of these sites but not sure where to start! What site would people suggest?

Katreena wrote: »
    Newbie here and thinking of joining one of these sites but not sure where to start! What site would people suggest?

A lot of people here use Plenty of fish. Personally I hate that site. I use okcupid.

• Advertisement

A lot of people here use Plenty of fish. Personally I hate that site. I use okcupid.
    Thank you, I was wondering what pof was!

Also do people use their real names as usernames for these sites or do they make up quirky names?

Thank you, I was wondering what pof was!

No problem. OKC doubles up for OKCupid.

AF is AnotherFriend, but hardly any of us admit to using that. They send out little automated messages from time to time, pretending to be from genuine users. Or else a user will send out a broadcast message.

AFF is Adult Friend Finder. A pick up site. Not spoken about here.

I think that's most of the acronyms we have in this little corner or boards!

Also do people use their real names as usernames for these sites or do they make up quirky names?

My names have always been made up. You don't want too much info being available on the sites, as, unfortunately, there are weirdos on them as well as us decent folk!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper

Usernames always, obviously your picture is up there and everything but you don't quite want your real name out there for anyone to google either.

No way. Are you crazy. You need to be very safety conscious just incase. Done give anyone your full name or address etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭blacklilly

So I joined OKC and well there are a lot of familiar faces on it from pof. Some of these faces I had the "pleasure" of meeting before, I can only guess they've run out of luck on pof.
    However from my limited time on okc I would rate it higher than pof. I've only chatted to a few guys but they seem genuine whereas I found the vast majority of men on pof were using it as a pick up joint.

No problem. OKC doubles up for OKCupid.

AF is AnotherFriend, but hardly any of us admit to using that. They send out little automated messages from time to time, pretending to be from genuine users. Or else a user will send out a broadcast message.

AFF is Adult Friend Finder. A pick up site. Not spoken about here.

I think that's most of the acronyms we have in this little corner or boards!

Cheers, I was trying to figure those names out :p
    My names have always been made up. You don't want too much info being available on the sites, as, unfortunately, there are weirdos on them as well as us decent folk!
    No way. Are you crazy. You need to be very safety conscious just incase. Done give anyone your full name or address etc.

Thanks, I'm very safety conscious but I didn't know if a username would be really odd and stick out, no idea what the norm is with all this. I'm doing a project for radio in college all about online dating so I want to throw myself into it. Plus it's about time, seeing as I'm getting quite fed up of the pub scene..

Thanks, I'm very safety conscious but I didn't know if a username would be really odd and stick out, no idea what the norm is with all this. I'm doing a project for radio in college all about online dating so I want to throw myself into it. Plus it's about time, seeing as I'm getting quite fed up of the pub scene..

Trust me nobody uses real names. Do you really want a dating profile popping up if anyone googles you?

Safety tips: http://www.knowthenet.org.uk/knowledge-centre-article/online-dating-safety-tips

• Advertisement

Trust me nobody uses real names. Do you really want a dating profile popping up if anyone googles you?

Safety tips: http://www.knowthenet.org.uk/knowledge-centre-article/online-dating-safety-tips

Never thought about that actually! And thanks for the link too..
    now I just need to make my profile and wait for the offers to flow in :rolleyes: haha

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement