Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread 3..**READ 1ST POST Oct 2012**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

Katreena wrote: »
    Never thought about that actually! And thanks for the link too..
    now I just need to make my profile and wait for the offers to flow in :rolleyes: haha

Some people here ad people form dating site as 'friends' on Facebook but I don't. I'm not giving someone I never meet access to my friends, family, colleagues and any info they might innocently post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

A girl I've just noticed on POF (who appears to be otherwise mildly interesting) can't be accused of modesty.

'I'm good looking and fairly smart'

I would never have guessed some people would type this kinda thing on their profile. Maybe that's where I'm going wrong.

"Hey world, I'm a hunk... message me now!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

A girl I've just noticed on POF (who appears to be otherwise mildly interesting) can't be accused of modesty.

'I'm good looking and fairly smart'

I would never have guessed some people would type this kinda thing on their profile. Maybe that's where I'm going wrong.

"Hey world, I'm a hunk... message me now!"

It took you til now to realise? That's exactly how I got dates, I wrote a paragraph or two all about how beautiful, witty, intelligent, entertaining, wonderful, interesting and modest I am. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

So it seems modesty is not the best policy on POF. :pac:

Having said that, I did point out on my profile that I can cook and I'm taller than Tom Cruise, if that counts.

*goes back to the drawing board*

So it seems modesty is not the best policy on POF. :pac:

Having said that, I did point out on my profile that I can cook and I'm taller than Tom Cruise, if that counts.

*goes back to the drawing board*

I used to have on my profile that I could cook, then men sent me messages demanding sandwiches. I wish I was joking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭DerekDGoldfish

Modesty is massivly overated like having your own teeth and not living in your parents basement

LyndaMcL wrote: »
    I used to have on my profile that I could cook, then men sent me messages demanding sandwiches. I wish I was joking.

If a man has to ask for a sandwich its already to late

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Just a little update from me. I had a few dates with this lovely lady there over the past week and even turned down a drink with another one to go for dinner with her.

At the weekend myself and the second one decided to go out and have a drink and it ended up being a great night. She's cute, sexy and about a foot and a half smaller than me :D

Anyway, on Sunday went for a walk with the first one and what we were both thinking came out. It just didn't feel right. No loss, its for the best and myself and the second one are sort of talking about this being a long term thing as we're both mad about each other :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

KTRIC wrote: »
    Just a little update from me. I had a few dates with this lovely lady there over the past week and even turned down a drink with another one to go for dinner with her.

At the weekend myself and the second one decided to go out and have a drink and it ended up being a great night. She's cute, sexy and about a foot and a half smaller than me :D

Anyway, on Sunday went for a walk with the first one and what we were both thinking came out. It just didn't feel right. No loss, its for the best and myself and the second one are sort of talking about this being a long term thing as we're both mad about each other :D

Swit Swoo - brilliant news! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

Hey everyone, looks like my time on PoF was worthwhile. We've had five dates over the last two weeks and we get on great. We're going to give it a go and see how things work out. : ) Its still early days but I have a good feeling.

Was on match.com for 6 months met one nice man and a bunch of assh*les, including one complete weirdo who sent me 63 texts the day after I met him :-0. A week on PoF and I meet someone decent.

Interesting point following the discussion on height in the thread - if I had seen him in a pub/club/street whatever I probably wouldn't have given him a second glance because he's not very tall and although its not a conscious decision I have always gone out with taller men. I genuinely didn't notice his height in his profile and I'm glad I didn't cos I would have missed out.

Good going KRTIC hope it works out for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭riveratom

Hey everyone, looks like my time on PoF was worthwhile. We've had five dates over the last two weeks and we get on great. We're going to give it a go and see how things work out. : ) Its still early days but I have a good feeling.

Was on match.com for 6 months met one nice man and a bunch of assh*les, including one complete weirdo who sent me 63 texts the day after I met him :-0. A week on PoF and I meet someone decent.

Interesting point following the discussion on height in the thread - if I had seen him in a pub/club/street whatever I probably wouldn't have given him a second glance because he's not very tall and although its not a conscious decision I have always gone out with taller men. I genuinely didn't notice his height in his profile and I'm glad I didn't cos I would have missed out.

Good going KRTIC hope it works out for you.

Nice one.

It also goes to show how ridiculous the height thing is as well, in terms of people ruling others out in a blanket way.

Only a few months ago I met a girl at an event and we were getting along like a house on fire, plenty of flirting etc. Found out afterwards she felt 'uncomfortable' as she felt she was 'towering over me', even though we were the exact same height standing chatting. So basically, you get ruled based on height, even though everything else is sweet. Pretty dumb really.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

To be fair, I went on a date a while back with a girl who was either 5'11" or 6' even, and I didn't like it as she's the same height as me, or uncomfortably close.
    I prefer when I'm at least a bit taller than the girl.

To be fair, I went on a date a while back with a girl who was either 5'11" or 6' even, and I didn't like it as she's the same height as me, or uncomfortably close.
    I prefer when I'm at least a bit taller than the girl.

I do too Jimmy, and I can see how it would potentially be the same for any girl. I actually think around 5'6" is a nice height for me in a girl, as I'm just under 5'9".

My point though is that to rule someone out based on that is at best shooting yourself in the foot, and at worst, pretty dumb.

And I've no doubt women do it all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

I think the height reason has to be one of the silliest reasons to 'give up' on someone.

There are a myriad of silly reasons, but cos someone is too tall or too short is not one of them!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I went on a date with a guy who was 6ft 6 a while back...I am 5ft 3. That was a little too much difference for me but so long as they aren't shorter than me I don't care - at 5ft 3 most people are not shorter than me :D Same height is fairly ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

miamee wrote: »
    That was a little too much difference for me but so long as they aren't shorter than me I don't care - at 5ft 3 most people are not shorter than me :D Same height is fairly ok.

Im 5ft 3 as well so most men are taller than me. Dont think I would date someone shorter - thats a bit toooooo short! :D

Dovies wrote: »
    Im 5ft 3 as well so most men are taller than me. Dont think I would date someone shorter - thats a bit toooooo short! :D

I don't think we need to worry about that any time soon :D

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I think the height reason has to be one of the silliest reasons to 'give up' on someone.

There are a myriad of silly reasons, but cos someone is too tall or too short is not one of them!

Not really if you're a 5'10 lady and the guy is 5'7. It looks and feels weird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I'm 6,4 and well built and the girl I went out with at the weekend is 5,1. I was sitting down to talk to her and she ended up sitting on my knee for a while. Twas great, small women are the best !!!

Don't let height differences put you off with either sex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

they're all the same height when they're on the flat of their back...

*ahem*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Larianne wrote: »
    Not really if you're a 5'10 lady and the guy is 5'7. It looks and feels weird.

It might feel weird to you but take it the other way around, does it feel weird for the guy to be 3 inches taller? No, and its socially acceptable, and almost expected for the guy to be taller.

I wouldn't allow social 'norms' determine whether or not a partner is wrong for me based on her height.

having said that, i'm 6'2, so women who are taller than me are few and far between.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

It might feel weird to you but take it the other way around, does it feel weird for the guy to be 3 inches taller? No, and its socially acceptable, and almost expected for the guy to be taller.

I wouldn't allow social 'norms' determine whether or not a partner is wrong for me based on her height.

having said that, i'm 6'2, so women who are taller than me are few and far between.

The feeling I get when I am taller than the guy is very hard to describe to someone else. It feels uncomfortable kissing them when standing, holding hands while standing. Basically I feel like 'a man' and it feels wrong to me. It's not that I want or need to feel protected by the man or any such nonsense. It is just the feeling I get when I have been with men smaller than me. And in fairness, I have tried it a few times as a few guys lied about their height on profiles.

KTRIC wrote: »
    I'm 6,4 and well built and the girl I went out with at the weekend is 5,1. I was sitting down to talk to her and she ended up sitting on my knee for a while. Twas great, small women are the best !!!

Don't let height differences put you off with either sex.

5'1 here, dated a 6'10 guy. Height is nothing, unless you end up with a crick in your neck from staring up. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

Possible date coming up soon :D

If it feels weird for her, why does it matter what everyone else thinks? I really don't get why people give out so much about women and height. You can't help it if you don't like men being shorter than you. Especially if you're towering over them, you feel weird and awkward. It may not be important to you, but it is important to some women so why is it consensus among a lot of people here that it's the stupidest reason ever not to date someone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

Possible date coming up soon :D

If it feels weird for her, why does it matter what everyone else thinks? I really don't get why people give out so much about women and height. You can't help it if you don't like men being shorter than you. Especially if you're towering over them, you feel weird and awkward. It may not be important to you, but it is important to some women so why is it consensus among a lot of people here that it's the stupidest reason ever not to date someone?

If a girl is towering above the man then its understandable, but if the guy is around the same height, or if the girl is like 5'2 and demands that the guy must be over 5'10, that's when it gets a bit silly - especially if she then has the audacity to say there's no decent men out there. Not everyone does this of course, but its a bit unreasonable of people who do.

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    If a girl is towering above the man then its understandable, but if the guy is around the same height, or if the girl is like 5'2 and demands that the guy must be over 5'10, that's when it gets a bit silly - especially if she then has the audacity to say there's no decent men out there. Not everyone does this of course, but its a bit unreasonable of people who do.

Yep, I was actually talking about a case where the girl wasn't taller than me. I'm 5'9" and so ok, if she had been wearing 3 inch heels then she would have been taller on the night, but she was actually around the same height or a bit shorter.

I know people have preferences and whatnot, and are perfectly entitled to have them - but I've no doubt there are tonnes of women walking around the place automatically filtering out guys who don't stand at around the 6 foot mark. So don't turn around age 34 asking where all the decent guys are or where are all the nice guys gone. You passed them by - and you passed up a potential opportunity on multiple occasions. Simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Tip, lads... change your profile pics around.

I changed mine this evening, and have gotten about 6-7 messages from girls, lots more replies and views... deffo worth a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper

For people interested in that type of thing, Chris Coyne founder of okcupid is answering questions on reddit

http://www.reddit.com/r/OkCupid/comments/11yj0m/i_am_the_real_chriscoyne_cofounder_of_okcupid/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

riveratom wrote: »
    Yep, I was actually talking about a case where the girl wasn't taller than me. I'm 5'9" and so ok, if she had been wearing 3 inch heels then she would have been taller on the night, but she was actually around the same height or a bit shorter.

I know people have preferences and whatnot, and are perfectly entitled to have them - but I've no doubt there are tonnes of women walking around the place automatically filtering out guys who don't stand at around the 6 foot mark. So don't turn around age 34 asking where all the decent guys are or where are all the nice guys gone. You passed them by - and you passed up a potential opportunity on multiple occasions. Simple.

I know plenty of women who have gone out with / are going out with / married guys who don't come near 6ft. I really think it's only a minority of women who would have major concerns about height.

• Advertisement

I'm 5'5 and it has it's advantages no getting hit by lightning for me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement