Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread 3..**READ 1ST POST Oct 2012**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

I've taken Jimmy_Bottlehead's advice and swapped profile pics. Hope the football manager's tactics pay off!

Also, I must be one of the few on POF who isn't into skiing and suchlike.

And, what the fcuk is it with women and Formula 1? Loads of them are into this glorified stock car racing.

You live and learn. But I've obviously stalled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭ruthiepie

Ok so I've been on and off POF before and I usually just get annoyed after a bit and de-activiate my profile. Im going to try and stick with it this time and see if anything comes of it.

How long do people usually stick with it, after a couple of weeks I get a bit bored with the whole time and it does seem to be the same faces.

On the plus side, I've been mailing a guy since yesterday and instead of the 1 or 2 sentences like usually, there have been LONG emails so Im hoping that's a good sign.

Hopefully some people are doing better than me at the moment and have dates arranged!! :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I awoke this morning to see an unfamiliar blue dot on the updates bar of my phone. 'twas the 'message recieved' icon from POF. Someone actually replied! :eek:
    Not getting my hopes up by any means (as that would be crazy after one reply), but still, nice to make a bit of progress for a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭smallgarden

miamee wrote: »
    I don't think we need to worry about that any time soon :D
    id say the last guy i was on a few dates with was around that height if not smaller, i found it was practically awkward for holding hands and all that malarch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭kiddums

And, what the fcuk is it with women and Formula 1? Loads of them are into this glorified stock car racing.
    I'm not going to go into why F1 is not 'glorified stock car racing' but I am going to ask where are you seeing these women?
    Would be nice to see some my way, they're mostly into looking in the mirror and getting drunk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

kiddums wrote: »
    I'm not going to go into why F1 is not 'glorified stock car racing' but I am going to ask where are you seeing these women?
    Would be nice to see some my way, they're mostly into looking in the mirror and getting drunk.

I see F1 listed regularly as an interest on women's POF profiles. Usually the high-maintenence types. I live in London so I don't know if that has got anything to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Prick! wrote: »
    I mail a girl a nice message.

Her reply.

"Sorry but no"

Well if it makes you feel any better i wrote a nice message to one and her reply was " Piss off" :mad:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Well if it makes you feel any better i wrote a nice message to one and her reply was " Piss off" :mad:

That is so rude!! What a horrible person she must be.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

miamee wrote: »
    That is so rude!! What a horrible person she must be.

I'm not that bad looking either! Doesn't do much for you self esteem or faith in the likes of POF.:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I'm not that bad looking either! Doesn't do much for you self esteem or faith in the likes of POF.:rolleyes:

Unfortunately, they will let anyone join ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

Why bother sending a reply like that. If you don't like someone, don't reply. That's cruel and will come back to bite her one day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I see F1 listed regularly as an interest on women's POF profiles. Usually the high-maintenence types. I live in London so I don't know if that has got anything to do with it.
    :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

galvasean ive seen u, and you seem like a guy who would be grands, im surprised you're so surprised that you got a reply

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

EdenHazard wrote: »
    galvasean ive seen u, and you seem like a guy who would be grands, im surprised you're so surprised that you got a reply

The women who aren't messaging him are clearly silly. All the boardies should be getting rakes of messages since they all appear to be complete legends in this thread anyway. :D

/lickarse

maybe he's wearing some star wars shirt in his profile pic that's the only thing i can think of but screw them if you are, better staying true to yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

There isn't really any nice way to respond to a nice message from someone who you're not attracted to, is there?

I normally just get 'heys' and i'll write back and have a convo to be nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

maybe he's wearing some star wars shirt in his profile pic that's the only thing i can think of but screw them if you are, better staying true to yourself!

If someone wore a Star Wars t shirt in their profile pic, that'd be +1000 respect points from me, tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭finipops

I like astronomy and stuff but i left it out of my profile. I'm not a geek(I don't think :P) But i do have an interest in it. But if the girl goes for some meathead then i wouldn't care. Star wars is good! :)

I DO have 'dinosaurs' listed under interests (among other 'normal things). But as Eden said, better to be true to yourself because they'll find out soon enough! :pac:

• Advertisement

Well, y'know, when your reply ratio is < 1 in 40 you cannot hep but lower the aul expectations.

finipops wrote: »
    I like astronomy and stuff but i left it out of my profile. I'm not a geek(I don't think :P) But i do have an interest in it. But if the girl goes for some meathead then i wouldn't care. Star wars is good! :)

Hey leave us meatheads alone! We've to worry that she thinks we're just dumb :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

Galvasean wrote: »
    I DO have 'dinosaurs' listed under interests (among other 'normal things). But as Eden said, better to be true to yourself because they'll find out soon enough! :pac:

Would archaeology or anthropology not be a more appropiate way to describe you interest? 'Dinosaurs' might give women an impression the you never grew up!

619-05758011w.jpg

Well, y'know, when your reply ratio is < 1 in 40 you cannot hep but lower the aul expectations.

Do you get girls starting convos?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Sure, I'm a huge Abba fan, but I never put it down on my profile. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

Larianne wrote: »
    Sure, I'm a huge Abba fan, but I never put it down on my profile. :pac:

Yes something are better not said. A passing interest might be mistaken for a borderline obsession.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

mood wrote: »
    Yes something are better not said. A passing interest might be mistaken for a borderline obsession.

Who says its not! :o:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

There isn't really any nice way to respond to a nice message from someone who you're not attracted to, is there?

Not really.

The only thing I'd suggest is to put yourself in her shoes. How many times have you got a 'no reply' reply?

Send her back something, even if it is a thanks but no thanks.

Not really.

The only thing I'd suggest is to put yourself in her shoes. How many times have you got a 'no reply' reply?

Send her back something, even if it is a thanks but no thanks.

I absolutely agree, but I'm struggling to figure out how to say "thanks for the message, but I don't think it'd work" when they seem like lovely girls apart from the physical attraction.

Personally, I'd prefer to get no reply than "Thanks but no thanks" as I'd prefer not to hurt someone's feelings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭cloud_dancer

Sometimes when I message a guy I get a response and then it dies out after couple of messages so I assume that's a nice way of letting someone down gently. I did it a lot myself at first.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement