Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread 3..**READ 1ST POST Oct 2012**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

Weird how it doesn't seem to be a problem for men...

I have to say I'm very attracted to willowy ladies. No height issues here!

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

LyndaMcL wrote: »
    Nearly wet myself from laughing at the dinosaur pic. :pac:

Maybe all the ladies think you're the new Ross? He was a Paleantologist, wasn't he? :p

Galvasean's dinosaur pic is hilarious!

I guess, on balance, it's better for the ladies to see it later rather than sooner though... less scary!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Galvasean's dinosaur pic is hilarious!

I guess, on balance, it's better for the ladies to see it later rather than sooner though... less scary!

Ah no, I like it! It would make me laugh and stand out from all the other pics. That's just me anyway :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Off for the weekend to visit someone I met on OD last year :D We have been seeing each other on and off since over a year ago, then he moved to the other side of the world for work, back here for a short while, then moved to the UK. So by the time I am back I will either have decided I don't need OD any more...or I'll be back on it with a vengeance, lol. Time will tell!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

miamee wrote: »
    Off for the weekend to visit someone I met on OD last year :D We have been seeing each other on and off since over a year ago, then he moved to the other side of the world for work, back here for a short while, then moved to the UK. So by the time I am back I will either have decided I don't need OD any more...or I'll be back on it with a vengeance, lol. Time will tell!

Good luck :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

miamee wrote: »

Once ya have fun, sure that's all that matters. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭kiddums

Has anyone else noticed the influx of new women not filling in their profile, one photo (which looks like it was taken on a vtech camera and the line 'looking for a genuine man'?
    What the hell do these women think is going to happen? I'm really curious if they actually get messages.

kiddums wrote: »
    Has anyone else noticed the influx of new women not filling in their profile, one photo (which looks like it was taken on a vtech camera and the line 'looking for a genuine man'?
    What the hell do these women think is going to happen? I'm really curious if they actually get messages.

I think it takes a while until people realise that they need to make an effort. Also profile are visible once they are created I think so while someone is filling in a profile or checking profiles other are seeing there bear profile.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I have to say I'm very attracted to willowy ladies. No height issues here!

:pac:

Best evidence indicates that female tyrannosaurs were bigger than their male counterparts.
    If it's good enough for the king...

PS: based on feedback here I would post up the dinosaur pic on my profile (can't exactly do me any harm given recent proceedings can it?), but for the fact that it's nearly 4 years old. Granted I haven't aged a day (*smug*), but it really bugs me when people use really old pics so I don't want to be a hypocrite.

Galvasean wrote: »
    Best evidence indicates that female tyrannosaurs were bigger than their male counterparts.
    If it's good enough for the king...

PS: based on feedback here I would post up the dinosaur pic on my profile (can't exactly do me any harm given recent proceedings can it?), but for the fact that it's nearly 4 years old. Granted I haven't aged a day (*smug*), but it really bugs me when people use really old pics so I don't want to be a hypocrite.

You're just going to have to recreate it :P Just kidding, you're probably rigth. Putting up old pics gives a bad impression, especially the ones that are clearly time-stamped :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Have a date this eve. Had one last sunday with a guy that was a bit out of my comfort zone (was a bit older). It didnt go well really, just a strange type of guy and we didnt click at all. He had very strange things to talk about and there was a weird smell off him,lol.

Hopefully tonights goes a little better.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Good luck Andrea...

In my case i got the "Nice guy, not gonna work out, make some woman very happy" text this morning.

Sometimes i wish i was more of a bastid!! :p:D

andreac wrote: »
    Have a date this eve. Had one last sunday with a guy that was a bit out of my comfort zone (was a bit older). It didnt go well really, just a strange type of guy and we didnt click at all. He had very strange things to talk about and there was a weird smell off him,lol.

Hopefully tonights goes a little better.

Some people really don't realise how important hygiene is. who wants a smell partner!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Good luck Andrea...

In my case i got the "Nice guy, not gonna work out, make some woman very happy" text this morning.

Sometimes i wish i was more of a bastid!! :p:D

The secret is, quick kiss goodnight followed by a swift kick in the shin, then on your merry way.
    She's sure to think of you as a bastard then!

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭cloud_dancer

mood wrote: »

Some people really don't realise how important hygiene is. who wants a smell partner!

I dated someone a couple of years ago. Had a few dates and the inevitable happened - we ended up back in his place for a few drinks. The smell when I got back there was so strange, really musty and the place was old so understandably didn't want to stay long. Left anyway, gave him the benefit of the doubt cause he was a really nice guy and arranged another date. I couldn't get over the musty smell no matter how much I tried, it was off his clothes from being in the house. It was a cinema date too so that was the final nail in the coffin!

The secret is, quick kiss goodnight followed by a swift kick in the shin, then on your merry way.
    She's sure to think of you as a bastard then!

I meant it as ME being the bastard!

If I was a bastard then I'd be thinking "hahahaha dumb woman, I fooled her into thinking I'm a nice guy"

Instead I'm thinking "damn. I liked her."

Ah well. Onwards and upwards/sideways/downwards.
    Well, onwards anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭riveratom

I meant it as ME being the bastard!

If I was a bastard then I'd be thinking "hahahaha dumb woman, I fooled her into thinking I'm a nice guy"

Instead I'm thinking "damn. I liked her."

Ah well. Onwards and upwards/sideways/downwards.
    Well, onwards anyway!

Em, not sure you got what Jimmy meant there... :D

riveratom wrote: »

Em, not sure you got what Jimmy meant there... :D

Yeah I did. Still on a bit of a downer though.
    And if I was a bastard, I wouldn't!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭smallgarden

Sure most contacts with other people just fizzle out, I'd have been yapping with loads of girls on the site, but met very very few, people mail you, you get yapping, I just assumed they are yapping to someone else if I don't hear from them in a while, it's a fickle kind of business, I don't think people who get into the OD ring, really can expect to have a problem with being judged almost exclusively on their pics, that's what you take on when you get into the ring I think!

on this note if dont get a reply,double check message actually sent,i could have swore had sent message but hadnt and got messages from guys week later claiminh the same,sometimes if kind of logged in it doesnt send properly

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭Tigger99

Sorry if this has been asked before, but what's your view of the auld cut and paste "hi, how are you" messages. On one hand i think they are lazy, esp when I've a few things in my profile that they could ask about, but on the other hand I'd imagine guys get pretty jaded from sending so many messages with no reply that they put less work into their messages maybe?

At the mo I ignore these type of messages, but maybe im being too harsh?

• Advertisement

if like a persons profile i think reply to them regardless.in a pub youd start with a simple hello,how are you so dont see what the issue is with it to be honest.yeah it shows more effort but is it not more a case of showing interest,if person interested they reply and you take it from there.people overthinking it makes it not work methinks

Tigger99 wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been asked before, but what's your view of the auld cut and paste "hi, how are you" messages. On one hand i think they are lazy, esp when I've a few things in my profile that they could ask about, but on the other hand I'd imagine guys get pretty jaded from sending so many messages with no reply that they put less work into their messages maybe?

The way i look at it is that if i particularly like the look of a girls profile, i'll go to the effort of creating a specific message for her... I'm not talking essay type messages, i'm talking 2 or 3 liners. if a lad can't come up with that for someones profile then she's not for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

Tigger99 wrote: »

I must admit I have done this before, although I usaully just copy and paste the introduction and then reference something from her profile. It's bound to get exhausting after a while, sending detailed messages over and over again. I think if a person has left their profile blank or only has a few words in it, then they deserve nothing more than a copy & paste job. There would be nothing to reference in that situation anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭Tigger99

Ah feck ye, thats 2 good but opposite arguments. :pac
    Ah, think I'll ignore them for the time being. On the occasions that I send a guy a message, id never send a hi. I'd always reference their profile. I know its kinda different cos id be messaging less people, but still.

a guy was into woodcarving on his profile and had link to some carvings but it took all my restraint not to send him a message saying "nice wood"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Date went well, Woohoo!! Even a very nice kiss at the end.

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    I must admit I have done this before, although I usaully just copy and paste the introduction and then reference something from her profile. It's bound to get exhausting after a while, sending detailed messages over and over again. I think if a person has left their profile blank or only has a few words in it, then they deserve nothing more than a copy & paste job. There would be nothing to reference in that situation anyway.

I wouldn't be arsed sending a message to a blank profile, with just a picture.

I think of it as a form of arrogance, as in "here's my picture boys, only the best will get a reply, and i don't have to waste time filling out a profile for you either"... If there is one thing i can't stand it's arrogance. It actually makes me angry, especially when someone else's arrogance is directed at me.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭riveratom

I wouldn't be arsed sending a message to a blank profile, with just a picture.

I think of it as a form of arrogance, as in "here's my picture boys, only the best will get a reply, and i don't have to waste time filling out a profile for you either"... If there is one thing i can't stand it's arrogance. It actually makes me angry, especially when someone else's arrogance is directed at me.

That might not be the case though - I would say that a lot of people don't fill out their profile as they don't want to give too much away, or are wary or unsure of the whole thing, first time trying it, etc.

I wouldn't know, but I would imagine some blokes don't fill out their profiles either. For me, don't expect any results if you don't fill it out! (goes for both men and women).

riveratom wrote: »
    That might not be the case though - I would say that a lot of people don't fill out their profile as they don't want to give too much away, or are wary or unsure of the whole thing, first time trying it, etc.

I wouldn't know, but I would imagine some blokes don't fill out their profiles either. For me, don't expect any results if you don't fill it out! (goes for both men and women).

Fair enough, there is that possibility.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Ok, over the phone she spoke for quite some time about ex-boyfriend. Yay or nay?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement