Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread 3..**READ 1ST POST Oct 2012**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

yeahimhere wrote: »

Nope he didn't, have a date set up for this week. :D:D

I'm just going to try and not over think it, at least I'll be busy in work that day so won't have time to.....now to look at my wardrobe and wardrobe and find something that looks like I'm making an effort but not trying to hard... *joke* :cool:

Woohoo you!!

[adopts jaded OD poster viewpoint]

How quick the little fishes grow up and spread their fins.

[/adopts jaded OD poster viewpoint]

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭cloud_dancer

Just created a profile on okc for a look. It's so much better than POF, the difference in the quality of profiles is unreal :D I haven't added anything to my profile yet. I've been on a few dates with a really nice guy but something, well a few things about him are not sitting right with me and give me an uneasy feeling. I'm not sure if this is good intuition though or just me being much too fussy. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

KTRIC wrote: »
    I'm chatting to a lady 12 years my junior. She's really nice and we get on quite well but I'm not sure about the age difference. She's the same age as my little sister !!!

Ah, once she's an adult, there's no harm in chatting or even going on a date or two and seeing how things go.

My 'little' sister is 3 years younger than me. When I dated the last guy I met from OD, he was the same age as her and I felt totally weirded out. I mean, same age as my 'little' sister! Bound to be just as immature as I perceive my sister to be. Nope, nice, mature guy.

I think we instantly see someone the same age as our younger siblings as a 'kid,' the way we all see our younger siblings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭yeahimhere

Woohoo you!!

[adopts jaded OD poster viewpoint]

How quick the little fishes grow up and spread their fins.

[/adopts jaded OD poster viewpoint]

We'll see, I'm still full of naive optimism at the moment! I could be singing a very different tune after the date on Thursday!

Just created a profile on okc for a look. It's so much better than POF, the difference in the quality of profiles is unreal :D I haven't added anything to my profile yet. I've been on a few dates with a really nice guy but something, well a few things about him are not sitting right with me and give me an uneasy feeling. I'm not sure if this is good intuition though or just me being much too fussy. :rolleyes:

I'd always go with your gut, usually it's right.

Well unless you're like a friend of mine who always has a habit of having "gut feelings" after the second date and without fail if she goes for a third/fourth date she's over it. I think in her case it's a nerves thing though.

I like OKCupid, I haven't tried POF but heard stories that it tended to lean a little bit more towards no strings etc so decided to stay away because I'm not really bothered with that at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

LyndaMcL wrote: »
    Ah, once she's an adult, there's no harm in chatting or even going on a date or two and seeing how things go.

My 'little' sister is 3 years younger than me. When I dated the last guy I met from OD, he was the same age as her and I felt totally weirded out. I mean, same age as my 'little' sister! Bound to be just as immature as I perceive my sister to be. Nope, nice, mature guy.

I think we instantly see someone the same age as our younger siblings as a 'kid,' the way we all see our younger siblings.

You might be right LyndaMcL. Anyway, she asked me out on a date !! :D

• Advertisement

You might be right LyndaMcL. Anyway, she asked me out on a date !! :D

That's always a big positive! Not many women (that I've seen) have the balls to ask a guy out. Go for it, you have nothing bar an hour or two to lose. :)

yeahimhere wrote: »
    I'd always go with your gut, usually it's right. Well unless you're like a friend of mine who always has a habit of having "gut feelings" after the second date and without fail if she goes for a third/fourth date she's over it. I think in her case it's a nerves thing though.
    QUOTE]

I had the niggling feeling after the second date but the more we've dated the more apparent it is. Not sure if this is a good enough reason not to give someone a chance but he seems to go from one thing to another and never seems to stick at anything. Has a new interest every time we speak. It's the same with other areas of life such as career/college. He spends a LOT of money quite casually on these new interests too. We're talking very expensive equipment. Plus he lives in a very studenty type house share (4 people) and hasn't seen his 20's in a while.

I admit to being a bit fickle when it comes to men in the past so don't want to rule out someone that is perfect for me in a lot of other ways. Fairly soon things will get to the next level if you know what I mean :o I've already delayed this bit as I'm unsure it's wise to be intimate with someone I'm feeling unsure about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

OKC profiles are a lot easier to write naturally because it asks questions. Copy pasted most of it back into PoF cos it reads so much better.

Spent ages sending messages over the last week and a half on 3 sites no uptake whatsoever. Was going to jack it in i was so annoyed. Got unsolicited message today off some girl with no pics, loads of messages back and forth loads of common interests, sent pics through and good jasus she's model material looks like that chick out of Evanesence. This better get to a date!

P.S. I'm 3 or 4 posts into the thread now, feel like i've gotten to know you all better, anybody want to sit on my face?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper

P.S. I'm 3 or 4 posts into the thread now, feel like i've gotten to know you all better, anybody want to sit on my face?

Sure! There's a dinosaur clubhouse for the guys to amuse themselves in so long as we're all single.

re your model looking-like new contact: don't forget about tineye and google image search!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Nigel from the Bournemouth can write in pretty convincing Cork bird dialect so I think he deserves some pictures of my hairy back fat at the very least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭riveratom

Think I've spotted a scammer. And not a very good one - bless, she's only young. She seemed too good to be true so did a reverse image search. Not only is she lying about her age, she's also in a different country, and pretending to be here. So be aware lads!!

riveratom wrote: »
    Think I've spotted a scammer. And not a very good one - bless, she's only young. She seemed too good to be true so did a reverse image search. Not only is she lying about her age, she's also in a different country, and pretending to be here. So be aware lads!!

Claiming to be aged 20 from Galway? If so I got the same one, if not there may be more than one scammer about :D

I had the niggling feeling after the second date but the more we've dated the more apparent it is. Not sure if this is a good enough reason not to give someone a chance but he seems to go from one thing to another and never seems to stick at anything. Has a new interest every time we speak. It's the same with other areas of life such as career/college. He spends a LOT of money quite casually on these new interests too. We're talking very expensive equipment. Plus he lives in a very studenty type house share (4 people) and hasn't seen his 20's in a while.

I admit to being a bit fickle when it comes to men in the past so don't want to rule out someone that is perfect for me in a lot of other ways. Fairly soon things will get to the next level if you know what I mean :o I've already delayed this bit as I'm unsure it's wise to be intimate with someone I'm feeling unsure about.

Interesting you should mention that, have been on a date or two with a girl who is similar - changes jobs a lot and seems to have all these interests. Talks a lot about herself and her job, but doesn't ask many questions of me at all. Hmmmm....

sharper wrote: »
    Claiming to be aged 20 from Galway? If so I got the same one, if not there may be more than one scammer about :D

Ha!! Boom! That's the one!

I was just thinking she is probably spamming every guy on the site. The thing is, there may be one or two who get sucked in..!

I was just thinking she is probably spamming every guy on the site. The thing is, there may be one or two who get sucked in..!

It was a fairly obvious fake (probably from someone not very familiar with Ireland, she's supposed to be in Galway but asking someone in Dublin if they wanted to go for a drink).

I did award the scammer some kudos for complimenting my beard though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

sharper wrote: »
    Sure! There's a dinosaur clubhouse for the guys to amuse themselves in so long as we're all single.

There is?!!?!?!? :eek:

Got an email on POF (whhaaaaaatttt?????) saying I looked familiar. Tenner says she 'recognises' me from Dawson's Creek.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

so, this was a strange one... got a view from a no photo girl, didnt even look at her profile, and later on got a message from her saying: thanks for the message but we are too far apart... wtf?

also had a woman who is 1 year older than me tell me I was too young for her.. lol

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭MudSkipper

For those who remember the first OD threat and my below posts:
    MudSkipper wrote: »
    <-- dumbass

txt'd the wrong bloody number!!

There's hope for me yet
    MudSkipper wrote: »
    wahey, skippy's got a date this week

*does little happy dance*

It's been a year since I txt'd the wrong number, kicked myself and corrected it and am very glad I did as she turned out to be my perfect match and I can't imagine life without her :D

*Does very happy dance*

Interesting you should mention that, have been on a date or two with a girl who is similar - changes jobs a lot and seems to have all these interests. Talks a lot about herself and her job, but doesn't ask many questions of me at all. Hmmmm....

It does make you question if they are relationship material. Especially if the person is in their 30's and still hopping from course to course in college finishing nothing. Personally I'm looking for someone who is steady and is able to see past what they want right now.

It does make you question if they are relationship material. Especially if the person is in their 30's and still hopping from course to course in college finishing nothing. Personally I'm looking for someone who is steady and is able to see past what they want right now.

I'm only 23 and even I wouldn't be hopping from course to course. Surely you know by the time you hit your 30s what you actually want to do in life?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭Itwasntme.

This post might come back to bight me in the ass further down the line when I am bearing a banner decrying the objectification of women but what the heck- I just got a message from the hottest thing I have ever seen. He has private photos so his message included two shots of him in beach shorts and swimming trunks (ladies/gents, if he's messaged you I am sure you know who I am talking about). Hot damn!! I prayed and hoped against hope that his profile would be as hot but alas (and I am crying here) it was not to be. Nothing. Nothing!! He will always be the one that got away. :mad:

*Very heavy, world weary sigh.*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Itwasntme. wrote: »
    This post might come back to bight me in the ass further down the line when I am bearing a banner decrying the objectification of women but what the heck- I just got a message from the hottest thing I have ever seen. He has private photos so his message included two shots of him in beach shorts and swimming trunks (ladies/gents, if he's messaged you I am sure you know who I am talking about). Hot damn!! I prayed and hoped against hope that his profile would be as hot but alas (and I am crying here) it was not to be. Nothing. Nothing!! He will always be the one that got away. :mad:

Was it a real profile ?? You do realise that there are no hot men in Ireland, dont you ?? :pac:

Unfortunately I haven't had the pleasure!

Ha!! Boom! That's the one!

What is her scam? Like what's she getting out of it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

LyndaMcL wrote: »
    I'm only 23 and even I wouldn't be hopping from course to course. Surely you know by the time you hit your 30s what you actually want to do in life?

Baz Luhrmann Lyrics - Everybody's Free To Wear Sunscreen:

"Don’t feel guilty if you don’t know what you want to do with your
    life…the most interesting people I know didn’t know at 22 what they
    wanted to do with their lives, some of the most interesting 40 year
    olds I know still don’t."
    I just got a message from the hottest thing I have ever seen. He has private photos so his message included two shots of him in beach shorts and swimming trunks (ladies/gents, if he's messaged you I am sure you know who I am talking about). Hot damn!! I prayed and hoped against hope that his profile would be as hot but alas (and I am crying here) it was not to be. Nothing. Nothing!! He will always be the one that got away. :mad:

If it was a guy getting a message from a really hot girl, the lack of a profile probably wouldn't matter. You could always take a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

What is her scam? Like what's she getting out of it?

Wondering the same thing.

Anyone else get really pushy messages asking for phone numbers IMMEDIATELY or you are a time waster. Or they notice you are online and haven't responded to their PM and get arsey message going "Well??"

Was it a real profile ?? You do realise that there are no hot men in Ireland, dont you ?? :pac:

Nope, real profile alright. You'll be glad to know that there are not just hot but HOT men in Ireland. :) I reverse image searched him and all that. Oh well, on the up side at least I can go to bed secure in the knowledge that I am not THAT shallow. :D Although, I was very tempted to throw my principles out of the window- along with most of my clothes. :P

This same girl:

-Took her out for a date, paid for a coffee, she suggested meeting up again

-2nd date, went great, went for lunch (paid again, not that I mind at all). She says she'll text me.

-Text her a breezy message at the weekend, finally get a response 2 days later

-Text her asking if she fancies meeting again. That was yesterday, still no reply. Also see she has deleted her profile.

What a charmer.

Mince Pie wrote: »

Wondering the same thing.

Anyone else get really pushy messages asking for phone numbers IMMEDIATELY or you are a time waster. Or they notice you are online and haven't responded to their PM and get arsey message going "Well??"

Any time I have out my number too soon on od I've regretted it. Gave out my number about 6 months ago, didn't have a date or anything as I ended up getting back with my ex and he's still sending me strange "booty call" texts at 2 am. I've ignored them in the hope that he'll get bored. In future I will not be giving out my number until I have a date arranged and we've been chatting for a few days.

• Advertisement

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    Baz Luhrmann Lyrics - Everybody's Free To Wear Sunscreen:

"Don’t feel guilty if you don’t know what you want to do with your
    life…the most interesting people I know didn’t know at 22 what they
    wanted to do with their lives, some of the most interesting 40 year
    olds I know still don’t."

If it was a guy getting a message from a really hot girl, the lack of a profile probably wouldn't matter. You could always take a chance.

I could but that would be very hypocritical on my part. As a general rule, if a guy has neither info nor photos (and won't send them on) or is missing both in his profile but is nice in his opening message, I will respond and say, thanks for taking the time to write but no thanks. If they don't make an effort and are just sleazy, then I just ignore the message. His opening line was, 'hey sexy'. Yes, he's hot but come on- we are not going to have a lot to talk about. Which is such a pity because I am sure the no talking part could have been tons of fun. :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement