Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread 3..**READ 1ST POST Oct 2012**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Nickcaved

I have a profile on plenty of fish after splitting up with my boyfriend but so far have had no luck.
    I get some messages but not from people i would like to date:(
    Its just so hard to meet someone nice these days. I just want a gentleman who will treat me well and we can have lots of fun together!
    Not too much to ask!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭cloud_dancer

riveratom wrote: »

This same girl:

-Took her out for a date, paid for a coffee, she suggested meeting up again

-2nd date, went great, went for lunch (paid again, not that I mind at all). She says she'll text me.

-Text her a breezy message at the weekend, finally get a response 2 days later

-Text her asking if she fancies meeting again. That was yesterday, still no reply. Also see she has deleted her profile.

What a charmer.

I think I'm dating her twin! Well apart from the fact that he's been very almost overly generous with paying for everything. We nearly have a row whenever I try to pay for anything. While I appreciate this, I like to pay my way and don't like to feel indebted to anyone. I've had to sneak up to the bar to get drinks in!

The text thing is almost identical though! :) it suited me because I don't like to feel smothered but there's also playing things too cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

Itwasntme. wrote: »
    I could but that would be very hypocritical on my part. As a general rule, if a guy has neither info nor photos (and won't send them on) or is missing both in his profile but is nice in his opening message, I will respond and say, thanks for taking the time to write but no thanks. If they don't make an effort and are just sleazy, then I just ignore the message. His opening line was, 'hey sexy'. Yes, he's hot but come on- we are not going to have a lot to talk about. Which is such a pity because I am sure the no talking part could have been tons of fun. :D

It could still be. :D

Itwasntme. wrote: »

I could but that would be very hypocritical on my part. As a general rule, if a guy has neither info nor photos (and won't send them on) or is missing both in his profile but is nice in his opening message, I will respond and say, thanks for taking the time to write but no thanks. If they don't make an effort and are just sleazy, then I just ignore the message. His opening line was, 'hey sexy'. Yes, he's hot but come on- we are not going to have a lot to talk about. Which is [SIZE="3"]such[/SIZE] a pity because I am sure the no talking part could have been tons of fun. :D

Him: 'hey sexy'
    You: ' hey hottie'
    Him: 'what ya up to'
    You: 'nothin much. You?'
    Him: 'just chillin. bored. gud wknd?'
    You: ' yeah and you?'
    Him: ' cool. Soo cud I get your number?'

That's the way that convo will go. Followed by equally torturous texting every 2 mins if you let it get that far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭Itwasntme.

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    It could still be. :D

Stop. Tempting. Me. This is hard enough as it is. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭riveratom

I think I'm dating her twin! Well apart from the fact that he's been very almost overly generous with paying for everything. We nearly have a row whenever I try to pay for anything. While I appreciate this, I like to pay my way and don't like to feel indebted to anyone. I've had to sneak up to the bar to get drinks in!

The text thing is almost identical though! :) it suited me because I don't like to feel smothered but there's also playing things too cool.

Ha!

The thing is, I don't think she's playing it cool - I think she's prob just not that interested and doesn't have the balls to text to just say that.

Is that the way people do things? Just don't reply and hope they get the message?

Ha!

The thing is, I don't think she's playing it cool - I think she's prob just not that interested and doesn't have the balls to text to just say that.

You don't know that. The guy I've been dating is definitely interested as he makes loads of effort with dates and he's the same with texting. Maybe they are too busy with all their interests! She's the one who asked for the second date. Get the impression that you're not too pushed anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

Question - Does anyone else get paranoid that they may be messaging/ignoring people on here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Mince Pie wrote: »
    Question - Does anyone else get paranoid that they may be messaging/ignoring people on here?

I recently got recognised by a boardsie, its no big deal. We're all real people in a real world so don't worry about it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

MudSkipper wrote: »
    For those who remember the first OD threat and my below posts:

It's been a year since I txt'd the wrong number, kicked myself and corrected it and am very glad I did as she turned out to be my perfect match and I can't imagine life without her :D

*Does very happy dance*

Oh, it's been that long??? HATE YOU! :P

That's deadly man. :)
    KTRIC wrote: »
    Was it a real profile ?? You do realise that there are no hot men in Ireland, dont you ?? :pac:

Oh c'mon. THere's at least 5!

Has happened. Was called out on thread once. :pac:

• Advertisement

Sorry maybe paranoid was the wrong word. It was more a wondering if anyone has sussed each other on here and was it all cool and the gang.
    ;-)

Hadn't really thought of that tbh. I'd be more paranoid someone I was messaging/dating was lurking on the thread and copped who I was. Especially if I was posting about them. After all I was a lurker on here for months before I posted.

Hadn't really thought of that tbh. I'd be more paranoid someone I was messaging/dating was lurking on the thread and copped who I was. Especially if I was posting about them. After all I was a lurker on here for months before I posted.

Hey fellow lurker! We both joined in October.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper

I'd be annoyed if I accidentally ignored someone from here but I'd be more worried about co-workers or people I don't know very well in real life gaining information from my online profile.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

So I have a weekend date arranged with a lovely Frenchie :D

Ah, why do I put myself through this impending torture!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭GRMA

Havent had any replies yet :( But I only sent a few messages so I'll keep trying.

What do people recommend saying for the first message? I've pretty much just been saying hello, picking out bits of their profile that I (genuinely) find interesting and asking about that... about the type of books or films or whatever they say they like. That the way to do it?

GRMA wrote: »
    Havent had any replies yet :( But I only sent a few messages so I'll keep trying.

What do people recommend saying for the first message? I've pretty much just been saying hello, picking out bits of their profile that I (genuinely) find interesting and asking about that... about the type of books or films or whatever they say they like. That the way to do it?

You are going the right way about it anyway. After that it's just a matter of them fancying you back :D

sharper wrote: »

I'd be annoyed if I accidentally ignored someone from here but I'd be more worried about co-workers or people I don't know very well in real life gaining information from my online profile.

From your dating profile or your posts on boards? I wouldn't put any personal info on the dating profile just likes, interests and such which wouldn't be a big deal if anyone saw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭GRMA

You are going the right way about it anyway. After that it's just a matter of them fancying you back :D
    Might change my pic to one of me with Labrador puppies, give me an edge! Giraffes at the zoo don't seem to be doing the trick! :D

Might change my pic to one of me with Labrador puppies, give me an edge! Giraffes at the zoo don't seem to be doing the trick! :D

You'll be well in with puppies in your pics!

• Advertisement

Chicks love labrador puppies :) I've offen sent a message to someone with an animal in their profile pic even if I didn't fancy them. I love animals so an animal lover is a huge plus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

Chicks love labrador puppies :) I've offen sent a message to someone with an animal in their profile pic even if I didn't fancy them. I love animals so an animal lover is a huge plus.

<<<Begins looking for puppies. :D

It was a fairly obvious fake (probably from someone not very familiar with Ireland, she's supposed to be in Galway but asking someone in Dublin if they wanted to go for a drink).

I did award the scammer some kudos for complimenting my beard though :)

She is looking to meet up straight away, even though I know she's in a different country?!

What could she be up to I wonder....!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper

She is looking to meet up straight away, even though I know she's in a different country?!

What could she be up to I wonder....!

The usual - "Oh I need some money for the train, can you wire me €100" or someone having a laugh and thinking it's funny guys are waiting somewhere to meet "her".

Now you might say why would people fall for that but for people that aren't internet savvy, trying out online dating for the first time and are maybe a little flattered a pretty girl wants to meet them would be an easy target.

The usual - "Oh I need some money for the train, can you wire me €100" or someone having a laugh and thinking it's funny guys are waiting somewhere to meet "her".

Now you might say why would people fall for that but for people that aren't internet savvy, trying out online dating for the first time and are maybe a little flattered a pretty girl wants to meet them would be an easy target.

Big time. Basically, she is saying she lives in Belfast and is a solicitor, but I've done a search and I know that she is an architect living in Canada.

I've changed the specific details above, but that's the story anyway. She is being pretty forward.

Not sure why anyone would do that if not trying to scam someone?!

Edit: BUT, she is using her real name! And a real photo. So WTF?!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

@riveratom. That's mad!!

The hilarious thing is that she is willing to travel! So what I'm thinking is that it could be a scam, or it could just be some sort of game - that said, I do know that it is a funny hour of the day where she is - so that doesn't add up either!!!

Larianne wrote: »
    @riveratom. That's mad!!

I know! I seriously don't get it.

The hilarious thing is that she is willing to travel! So what I'm thinking is that it could be a scam, or it could just be some sort of game - that said, I do know that it is a funny hour of the day where she is - so that doesn't add up either!!!

Is there a chance then that she could have moved here recently and hasn't yet updated the other site with the conflicting info? Just a thought...

• Advertisement

Is there a chance then that she could have moved here recently and hasn't yet updated the other site with the conflicting info? Just a thought...

Thought of that myself and would like it to be true. How likely is it that she has forgotten to update it across all her profiles though...?

I can say for definite that she is lying about being in Ireland, because I can see she was in a different country only a few hours ago - and can't even spell the name of her fake profession either! As in...'I am a solisitor...'

I wonder is someone putting her up to it, as she does seems nice going by her online presence...!?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement