Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread 3..**READ 1ST POST Oct 2012**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

riveratom wrote: »
    Thought of that myself and would like it to be true. How likely is it that she has forgotten to update it across all her profiles though...?

I can say for definite that she is lying about being in Ireland, because I can see she was in a different country only a few hours ago - and can't even spell the name of her fake profession either! As in...'I am a solisitor...'

I wonder is someone putting her up to it, as she does seems nice going by her online presence...!?

Maybe she is paranoid about OD and making up some of the details until she gets to know someone better? A bit like using a pseudonym. A long shot but a possibility :D

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭riveratom

miamee wrote: »
    Maybe she is paranoid about OD and making up some of the details until she gets to know someone better? A bit like using a pseudonym. A long shot but a possibility :D

It's basically like this. Imagine right now you're talking to some guy/girl and they're saying they're a dentist in Cork. They've signed off for the night and you presume they've gone to bed. You head off to bed too.

You then wake up in the morning and out of interest do a quick Google on their name, as you've already found out their name. You can see from one of their social networking profiles that a few hours earlier, in the middle of the night Irish-time, that they were getting up for breakfast in their graphic design job in Toronto!!!

Now imagine that this is actually not made up but real....because it is!!!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

It's basically like this. Imagine right now you're talking to some guy/girl and they're saying they're a dentist in Cork. They've signed off for the night and you presume they've gone to bed. You head off to bed too.

You then wake up in the morning and out of interest do a quick Google on their name, as you've already found out their name. You can see from one of their social networking profiles that a few hours earlier, in the middle of the night Irish-time, that they were getting up for breakfast in their graphic design job in Toronto!!!

Now imagine that this is actually not made up but real....because it is!!!
    I wasn't saying I don't believe you - I was just giving her the benefit of the doubt (foolishly, probably). I'd give someone like that a wide berth to be honest - which is, no doubt, what you are already doing :)

miamee wrote: »
    I wasn't saying I don't believe you - I was just giving her the benefit of the doubt (foolishly, probably). I'd give someone like that a wide berth to be honest - which is, no doubt, what you are already doing :)

I know that's not what you were saying, I was just painting a picture ;)

Yeah - although it kinda makes me thing 'why should I let her get away with it'. She could easily have a dozen or more not so online-savvy guys lined up ready to show up somewhere and they're the only ones there looking at each other. Or worse - maybe some sort of 'wire me €50 so I can meet you' scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 DgirlDub

I read an article today which kind of explains a lot of the scams within the Online dating world.
    It's big business, so it's in the OD company's interest to keep people subscribed.
    They employ pseudo's with pictures taken from other sites to send flirty messages and keep you hooked if you are a paying subscribers.

Anyways, have a read: Daily Mail

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

DgirlDub wrote: »
    They employ pseudo's with pictures taken from other sites to send flirty messages and keep you hooked if you are a paying subscribers.

Yeah thats a well known trick. Knew that many hot men couldn't be checking me out! ;)

By the way folks Im back! :(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Dovies wrote: »
    Yeah thats a well known trick. Knew that many hot men couldn't be checking me out! ;)

I would say I'm glad you're back, but that isn't exactly appropriate. :( I'm sorry Dovies, hope you're okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭cade

Question time. I went on a date, and afterwards got the rejection text. However the one thing that I'm wondering about was the wording of the text. Basically it went along the lines of ...but 'I've met someone else. I don't have time to juggle with boys.'

The usage of the word 'boys', should I see this as her way of saying I'm immature without explicitly saying it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

cade wrote: »
    Question time. I went on a date, and afterwards got the rejection text. However the one thing that I'm wondering about was the wording of the text. Basically it went along the lines of ...but 'I've met someone else. I don't have time to juggle with boys.'

The usage of the word 'boys', should I see this as her way of saying I'm immature without explicitly saying it?

That text sounds very condescending. I wouldn't spare it a second thought imo.

No I wouldn't read that much into it. Lots of women still refer to men as 'boys' rather than men. Sure even my mother still calls her friends 'the girls'. She's 60 :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

LyndaMcL wrote: »
    I would say I'm glad you're back, but that isn't exactly appropriate. :( I'm sorry Dovies, hope you're okay.

Thanks Lynda. Just feeling a bit sorry for myself at the moment! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Totally understandable. I'd suggest chocolate, ice cream and comedy movies, but I don't think that ever really works!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

Aw sorry to hear that :( But welcome back anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭GRMA

You should see it as her being a cow.

Sounds very patronizing and condescending. Bullet dodged!

GRMA wrote: »
    You should see it as her being a cow.

Sounds very patronizing and condescending. Bullet dodged!

Are you kidding me?!!

I think people really do tend to read too much into things these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

<HUGS>

Are you kidding me?!!

I think people really do tend to read too much into things these days.

Way too much. It's very easy to be prepared to believe that the other person is a b**ch/b****rd and you've 'dodged a bullet' rather than the simple fact that they just didn't like you as much as you liked them.

I'm talking in general now, not specific to any of the posters above, sure we all do it to cover our disappointment/embarassment.

<HUGS>

Oh my, what big arms you've got! :pac::D

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Ah no! :(

Come to the beers on Saturday!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭timewilltell

Well I'm back again! I think this is 4th time lucky.

This time I've taken a different approach, and I think it's working, still getting some naked photos though.

Wahey ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

I've about six ladies lined up for dates over the next while, but have to wait til I get back from an overseas trip over the next week.

It'll be interesting to see if any of them have that spark... Seems quite difficult to find a girl who's hot, fit, nerdy, funny, and smart. Who'd have thunk it? :P

Seems quite difficult to find a girl who's hot, fit, nerdy, funny, and smart. Who'd have thunk it? :P

Works the other way too! :D

Best of luck with the dates. I think you'll need a litte notepad to take notes so you don't get them all muddled up!! :pac:

Larianne wrote: »
    Ah no! :(

Come to the beers on Saturday!! :)

Out of interest are many folks on this here thread heading on Sat?

No plans to as of yet, but just wondering :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

I've about six ladies lined up for dates over the next while

Jasus if I had that many dates lined up I'd probably go into overload.

Out of interest are many folks on this here thread heading on Sat?

No plans to as of yet, but just wondering :)

I'm sure there's a few. Always a few lurkers turn up too. It's good to put faces to usernames. Then try to remember the person's real name as well as their username! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Herrick

Your not the only one Dovies :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭yeahimhere

About to pop my OD cherry! Heading out for my first date, will admit I'm fairly nervous!

Will report back if my nieve optimistic view so far comes crashing down! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭yeahimhere

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    Jasus if I had that many dates lined up I'd probably go into overload.

I'd be the same! I'd it hard to remember who was who and what we talked about! Think I can only do one or two at a time at most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

yeahimhere wrote: »
    I'd be the same! I'd it hard to remember who was who and what we talked about! Think I can only do one or two at a time at most.

Yeah me too. And if things were to progress to the next level you'd run the risk of saying the wrong name in the bedroom. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Daveysil15 wrote: »

Yeah me too. And if things were to progress to the next level you'd run the risk of saying the wrong name in the bedroom. :eek:

That's where the likes of 'chief', 'champ', 'buddy' and so on come in handy :D

Girls like that, right?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement