Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread 3..**READ 1ST POST Oct 2012**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭riveratom

That's where the likes of 'chief', 'champ', 'buddy' and so on come in handy :D

Girls like that, right?

Don't forget to throw in a guv'nor there too, Jimmy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    Yeah me too. And if things were to progress to the next level you'd run the risk of saying the wrong name in the bedroom. :eek:

I actually did that when I was only dating ONE guy from OD. We'll say his name was 'Shaun.' I said 'Joe,' but managed to turn it into 'Joe my god.' :pac:

If I can do that with ONE person, how the heck is he gonna manage six women? I can't even remember the names of half that people I talk to online, let alone dating. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 30 okfine

So where or how to begin?
    is it wrong to feel embarrassed?:o

For me its been finding someone with some similarities to myself, I'm not a loner I just ain't great at socializing mainly because I don't have any interest in nightclubs :(

I don't mind heading to the pub for a few, that's my limit I'm just not a big drinker and love the quiet life and like spending my time with nature, I also like talking and getting to know someone! :)

I'm male & under 25, not being big into socializing is holding me back so much :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

LyndaMcL wrote: »

I actually did that when I was only dating ONE guy from OD. We'll say his name was 'Shaun.' I said 'Joe,' but managed to turn it into 'Joe my god.' :pac:

If I can do that with ONE person, how the heck is he gonna manage six women? I can't even remember the names of half that people I talk to online, let alone dating. :pac:

They're only dates! I don't think I'd be ok with seeing six girls at the same time, but they'll just be first dates :-)

still... That notebook ain't a bad idea :-P

okfine wrote: »
    So where or how to begin?
    is it wrong to feel embarrassed?:o

For me its been finding someone with some similarities to myself, I'm not a loner I just ain't great at socializing mainly because I don't have any interest in nightclubs :(

I don't mind heading to the pub for a few, that's my limit I'm just not a big drinker and love the quiet life and like spending my time with nature, I also like talking and getting to know someone! :)

I'm male & under 25, not being big into socializing is holding me back so much :(

I know plenty of people who were embarrassed at first, myself included. You'll be grand, I'm female and under 25 and while I love going on nights out and stuff like that, I hate meeting people that way so I find OD great for getting to know someone and arranging dates that don't involve alcohol. :) You'll be fine!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 okfine

I know plenty of people who were embarrassed at first, myself included. You'll be grand, I'm female and under 25 and while I love going on nights out and stuff like that, I hate meeting people that way so I find OD great for getting to know someone and arranging dates that don't involve alcohol. :) You'll be fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭cloud_dancer

Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on the amount of dates you'd usually have with someone you met online before you'd end up in bed with them. Would you usually wait longer with someone you've met online or would it happen sooner?

I've had 5 dates with someone over 3 or 4 weeks and it still hasn't happened. This is probably the longest I've waited but it got me thinking that I usually tend to wait longer with someone I've met online. I've actually only got that far with one person online and we had agreed to be an item by then.

Am I being over cautious?

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭riveratom

Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on the amount of dates you'd usually have with someone you met online before you'd end up in bed with them. Would you usually wait longer with someone you've met online or would it happen sooner?

I've had 5 dates with someone over 3 or 4 weeks and it still hasn't happened. This is probably the longest I've waited but it got me thinking that I usually tend to wait longer with someone I've met online. I've actually only got that far with one person online and we had agreed to be an item by then.

Is this the guy you said you were a bit reluctant about? I would genuinely just go with your instinct, and what you're comfortable with. Don't judge it by numbers or time-frames I'd say :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭smallgarden

i think alot of it is down to how comfortable you feel with the person which varies with everyone,you may feel comfy sleeping with someone after a few dates or a few weeks of dating. i think it can take longer to build that up with someone from online as if meeting up with someone youve met from real life youre already further along physically before first date

on lines of rejecting fellow boardsies,id say ive rejected and been rejected by boardsies so its all good,balanced dating!

on seperate note does anyone else notice that people look alot older than their profile says. there are alot of guys in 30s that i would have guessed were in 40s,not sure if its just me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Just curious to know, but has anyone ever had a truly awful OD date, been stood up or been blown off in a really cruel way?

(I hope I'm not opening old wounds here :D)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Just curious to know, but has anyone ever had a truly awful OD date, been stood up or been blown off in a really cruel way?

(I hope I'm not opening old wounds here :D)

It doesn't need to be OD to be a truly awful date. But in answer to your question, yeah, most definitely!:D

I had just given up smoking and met this girl for a drink. I was driving, so was on the dry, she was tipping away at the pints.

Spent the whole time talking about her ex and their son, and going out for a smoke every 10 minutes. All i wanted was to go out and have a smoke, to get SOME level of enjoyment out of the date, but nope!! Longest 2 glasses of coke i've ever drank!!

I posted here about a bad date a little over a month ago, so I'll just copy what I posted here -

Date went terribly!!

He started telling me he had 'serious' feelings for me about 10 minutes in. Cue me getting extremely uncomfortable!

Date ended, he texted me saying he doesn't think he should see me again because he feels too strongly for me. pacman.gifpacman.gifpacman.gif

Cue me going to get a new tattoo!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭DerekDGoldfish

I posted here about a bad date a little over a month ago, so I'll just copy what I posted here -

Date went terribly!!

He started telling me he had 'serious' feelings for me about 10 minutes in. Cue me getting extremely uncomfortable!

Date ended, he texted me saying he doesn't think he should see me again because he feels too strongly for me. pacman.gifpacman.gifpacman.gif

Of his name?

Date went terribly!!

had similar with french guy,gave him benefit of the doubt as thought it might be a french thing but alas it just got worse, this is going to sound awful but while none of my dates have been really awful,ive ended up with a few really awful kissers,to the point i want to physically push their head away,i do believe in cher when she says its in his kiss!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭GRMA

Date went terribly!!

lol.

Reminds me of a date I was on a while ago (not an online one) where on our first house she invioted me to her house for dinner. OK says I, thinking it would just be the two of us. Was a family dinner(!!!!!) and she started going on to her family about how happy she was to have a great boyfriend etc and we were mad for each other etc.

Food was nice though

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Dermo73

My worst date - I turned up to the agreed pub and got a text from my date to say that she would be a bit late. When she arrived she seemed a bit down. I got the drinks and we sat down. After a bit of chat I asked her if something was wrong. She told me that there was an announcement in work that redundancies were on the way and she was likely to be let go. She was distracted, upset and clearly not in the mood for it. I have no idea why she didn't cancel. I suggested leaving it at one drink but the weird part was she actually stayed for 3 (all of which I bought). I sat there for 2 hours of misery - mumbling platitudes to a stranger that I quickly discovered I didn;t much like. Eventually I had to say I was going and bailed out before I was guilted into buying another round.

Of his name?

:pac: Not quite! I got a flower with some petals floating away from it. I suppose the petals could be imagery of me running away, with him as the flower? :pac:

and they say romantic irelands dead and gone

'any luck on here"
    "no you"
    "not yet,i need a bed warmer before winter"

suppose it might save on the esb bills!

and they say romantic irelands dead and gone

'any luck on here"
    "no you"
    "not yet,i need a bed warmer before winter"

suppose it might save on the esb bills!

That must score marks for honesty and gsoh :D

Dermo73 wrote: »
    That must score marks for honesty and gsoh :D
    of course, im meeting him next week,wearing my thermals and fleece pjs to try it out ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭DerekDGoldfish

If all he was after was a bed warmer surly he would go for a man, women are far colder.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Was meant to have a date with a girl last Saturday, but I messaged her Friday night to see if she was still on for it, and got no reply, so I guess that's a cancel!

I chilled out and ate jelly beans instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭yeahimhere

Just back from my date, have to say I'm sill optimistic on future dates if this was anything to go by. Lovely guy,great chats but overall, I wasn't that attracted to him I'm afraid :(

yeahimhere wrote: »
    Just back from my date, have to say I'm sill optimistic on future dates if this was anything to go by. Lovely guy,great chats but overall, I wasn't that attracted to him I'm afraid :(

Good to hear it went well even if not ultimately what you're looking for. There's lot's of lovely guys and girls out there but chemistry is hard to find.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

All of the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

yeahimhere wrote: »
    Pity.
    If you were even slightly attracted to him, would you be willing to give it a second go, given the good personality?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Every time I log in now I find myself clicking x after about a minute. I think I've gotten to the point where I've lost interest in OD now.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭cloud_dancer

riveratom wrote: »

Is this the guy you said you were a bit reluctant about? I would genuinely just go with your instinct, and what you're comfortable with. Don't judge it by numbers or time-frames I'd say :)

It's kind of about him. It got me thinking that I never really get much further than a few online dates when the spark fizzles out. Maybe that's cause they start falling into the "friendzone" if we haven't had much more than a polite kiss after a few dates. Then I think of my last relationship and the chemistry was amazing. We very nearly ended up in bed together the first night! We did know each other for a while though.

Re the guy I'm not so sure about, he also has a lot of positives. He's a genuinely nice guy and really cares for my welfare. I don't know if I'll ever find someone that ticks all the boxes. I'm 29 now and haven't met someone that does so far. There's always positives and negatives. Perfection doesn't exist.

Galvasean wrote: »
    Every time I log in now I find myself clicking x after about a minute. I think I've gotten to the point where I've lost interest in OD now.

I think we all go through phases like that. i know that i have!!

don't go near the sites for a month, you'll find a fresh outlook, and it works wonders

• Advertisement

It's kind of about him. It got me thinking that I never really get much further than a few online dates when the spark fizzles out. Maybe that's cause they start falling into the "friendzone" if we haven't had much more than a polite kiss after a few dates. Then I think of my last relationship and the chemistry was amazing. We very nearly ended up in bed together the first night! We did know each other for a while though.

Re the guy I'm not so sure about, he also has a lot of positives. He's a genuinely nice guy and really cares for my welfare. I don't know if I'll ever find someone that ticks all the boxes. I'm 29 now and haven't met someone that does so far. There's always positives and negatives. Perfection doesn't exist.

There are positives and negatives, but if you go into a relationship having a feeling that you have 'settled' for someone rather than wanting to jump his/her bones everytime you see them, it's pretty much doomed to failure.

I have no doubt that SOME relationships like that work out, but i'd say they are few and far between.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement