Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread 3..**READ 1ST POST Oct 2012**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

but real life still way better for men. it's expected of the guy to approach women, not expected of the woman. she has to wait to be approached! i'd hate that, not being in control

Well surely that would be easier for the women not having to do the approaching. You don't have to put up with all the rejection. Plus if she doesn't like not been in control she can always do the approaching.

dub5 wrote: »
    Ah would you stop!!! You honestly think us women just sit back and pick out the best ones. Jaysus, if only. We too send lots of mails in a hope of a reply. Why would we not have the same opinion that you guys are just picking the best looking girls and hopefully we might connect with someone.

I dont know what the exact ratios are on line for men and women but any of the singles nights I have been to it has been 50:50.

Any women I've spoken to about online dating say they get inundated with messages. This is especially true if they're anyway good looking. How can men pick out the best looking girls if they're getting little or no reply's?

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭dub5

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    Ah would you stop!!! You honestly think us women just sit back and pick out the best ones. Jaysus, if only. We too send lots of mails in a hope of a reply. Why would we not have the same opinion that you guys are just picking the best looking girls and hopefully we might connect with someone.

I dont know what the exact ratios are on line for men and women but any of the singles nights I have been to it has been 50:50.

Any women I've spoken to about online dating say they get inundated with messages. This is especially true if they're anyway good looking. How can men pick out the best looking girls if they're getting little or no reply's?

Women may get more messages then women but that's not to say that the men are all ideal and we have our pick of men. I would prefer to get one decent message of a decent guy rather than loads of messages from idiots. Just coz we get more messages does not mean that we have any advantage.

Women may get more messages then women but that's not to say that the men are all ideal and we have our pick of men. I would prefer to get one decent message of a decent guy rather than loads of messages from idiots. Just coz we get more messages does not mean that we have any advantage.

Yes but at least you're getting messages. Sure they're not all from perfect men, but its better than getting no messages at all. Your options may not be great but they're options none the less, so yes it is an advantage. Sometimes you have to sift through a lot of crap to get to the good stuff.

Yes but at least you're getting messages. Sure they're not all from perfect men, but its better than getting no messages at all. Your options may not be great but they're options none the less, so yes it is an advantage. Sometimes you have to sift through a lot of crap to get to the good stuff.

Is this our first fight

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Dub5 and Daveysil, the only way to settle this is for each of you to email about 10-15 members of the opposite sex. And I don't mean just send some rubbish "hi how r u?" one liner. Make an effort, read the person's profile and make the message personal and only mail people you are genuinely interested in.

Then respond back here after a few days and let us know how many replies each of you got :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

Well surely that would be easier for the women not having to do the approaching. You don't have to put up with all the rejection. Plus if she doesn't like not been in control she can always do the approaching.

well approaching women is fun... when i've some dutch courage of course!
    i agree, the inevitable rejection isn't as much fun but it's a numbers game, gotta get out there.

i know women *can* approach but i rarely see it happen and it just doesn't seem right. that's my opinion and we're all entitled to one before i'm attacked!

you see your standard group of girls in a club or pub just looking around waiting to be approached and I'd hate to be like that, having to wait.

well approaching women is fun... when i've some dutch courage of course!
    i agree, the inevitable rejection isn't as much fun but it's a numbers game, gotta get out there.

i know women *can* approach but i rarely see it happen and it just doesn't seem right. that's my opinion and we're all entitled to one before i'm attacked!

you see your standard group of girls in a club or pub just looking around waiting to be approached and I'd hate to be like that, having to wait.

As a guy, I don't see why it should be a man's duty to make the approach. I haven't approached a girl in a club in years, probably why I never meet anyone when I'm out :pac:

It seems to me your standard group of girls in a club or pub are just out to have a good time with their mates and don't even want to be approached, especially if they have boyfriends.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Samich wrote: »
    Yep, seems that's happened with me and aforementioned girl :P

She's online just hasn't replied :(

They never do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

G-Money wrote: »
    As a guy, I don't see why it should be a man's duty to make the approach. I haven't approached a girl in a club in years, probably why I never meet anyone when I'm out :pac:

I've been approaching women for years, it's easy, just remember not to make eye contact EVER and head in a different direction when you get close. Simple.

I've been approaching women for years, it's easy, just remember not to make eye contact EVER and head in a different direction when you get close. Simple.

Ok, in that case I approach women all the time :cool:

Stay away from the cross-eyed girls. A friend of mind rode a cross-eyed girl once and got her pregnant. I got the blame for it because I was stood next to him when he shagged her.

G-Money wrote: »
    Dub5 and Daveysil, the only way to settle this is for each of you to email about 10-15 members of the opposite sex. And I don't mean just send some rubbish "hi how r u?" one liner. Make an effort, read the person's profile and make the message personal and only mail people you are genuinely interested in.

Then respond back here after a few days and let us know how many replies each of you got :)

That would mean I would have to think and make an effort???

lol. Well I tell you what...I'll message 50 women and you just message 20 men and we'll see who gets the most responses. You'd never know, we might end up messaging each other at some stage! :)

lol. Well I tell you what...I'll message 50 women and you just message 20 men and we'll see who gets the most responses. You'd never know, we might end up messaging each other at some stage! :)

That's a lot of people. I don't think there would be 20 men on pof that would take my fancy

There would have to be some ground rules on this challenge:

You have to mail people that you are interested in and not people that you think will reply

You can't mail people that you have mailed before, chatted to before or dated before

That's a lot of people. I don't think there would be 20 men on pof that would take my fancy

There would have to be some ground rules on this challenge:

You have to mail people that you are interested in and not people that you think will reply

You can't mail people that you have mailed before, chatted to before or dated before

Ohh for god's sake. Who said you have to fancy them? The test is to see who get's the most reply's. And how on earth are you supposed to know who will and won't reply? There must be thousands of men on pof. Surely you can find 20. Are you in Dublin? Chances are I've probably messaged you already. ;)

Ohh for god's sake. Who said you have to fancy them? The test is to see who get's the most reply's. And how on earth are you supposed to know who will and won't reply? There must be thousands of men on pof. Surely you can find 20. Are you in Dublin? Chances are I've probably messaged you already. ;)

Yeh I am in Dublin. Sure I could easily just pick aul fellas, in their 60's and sure they would reply, I would imagine delighted to be getting a mail from a young one (well not that young).

So it would have to be people that you fancy. No?

Yeh I am in Dublin. Sure I could easily just pick aul fellas, in their 60's and sure they would reply, I would imagine delighted to be getting a mail from a young one (well not that young).

So it would have to be people that you fancy. No?

No that won't work. It's too vague. I mean you could be very picky. Although to be honest, I'd find it very difficult to find 50 women on pof that I'd actually fancy. Sure there are a few women on it that are very good looking, and some that wouldn't be great but I'd still give them a go. You see it wouldn't be a fair test. There's too many variables.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

You know I didn't mean "package" package... Right? :D basically she ticks my boxes for replying to, we can only see after that :)

Yes, I know what you meant :)

• Advertisement

No that won't work. It's too vague. I mean you could be very picky. Although to be honest, I'd find it very difficult to find 50 women on pof that I'd actually fancy. Sure there are a few women on it that are very good looking, and some that wouldn't be great but I'd still give them a go. You see it wouldn't be a fair test. There's too many variables.

Ok, well lets mail people that are in our age group and that are our type.

We both mail 20 people each.

You're on!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

This is all getting very scientific...
    One thing I don't like is all the headlines on women's profiles which read something like: 'Where are all the decent guys?' 'Are there no good men left out there?'

I'm glad to see headlines like that on profiles. It serves as a marker warning me not to message them. Generally speaking I find that anyone (guys and girls) who makes it their point to give out about the opposite sex at any given opportunity tends to be a bit of a wacko. These people are single for a reason, and it's usually not a case that everybody else is wrong.
    but real life still way better for men. it's expected of the guy to approach women, not expected of the woman. she has to wait to be approached! i'd hate that, not being in control

I'm not sure I totally agree with this. The notion that women have to wait for a man to approach them is fast becoming old fashioned. The lady of the 21st Century is more than capable of approaching a man she is interested in. Just last night I was approached twice (thinly veiled brag). You'll find that women who are pro-active in going after a man are more likely to succeed, while 'waiters' are often left to sulk about, lamenting how prince charming never whisked them away and wonder where all the decent guys have gone.

You're on!

Ok, so mail 20 people by the end of today?

Daveysil15 & dub5, if I may but in...
    I would recommend waiting until Monday to do the experiment as I have noticed people seem much less likely to respond with Friday/Saturday nights out looming. The cynic in me thinks that they are hoping to pull over the weekend, with online suitors taking a backseat until that doesn't work out.

Galvasean wrote: »
    Daveysil15 & dub5, if I may but in...
    I would recommend waiting until Monday to do the experiment as I have noticed people seem much less likely to respond with Friday/Saturday nights out looming. The cynic in me thinks that they are hoping to pull over the weekend, with online suitors taking a backseat until that doesn't work out.

I agree that alot of people are not on line at weekend. But I am going away on Friday for 2 weeks, so may as well send out 20 mails today and sure people will have them in their in box when they log in.

I agree that alot of people are not on line at weekend. But I am going away on Friday for 2 weeks, so may as well send out 20 mails today and sure people will have them in their in box when they log in.

Or we could just mail each other directly. You'd never know, we could be a perfect match. ;) davey and dub, ohh yeah. :cool:

Or we could just mail each other directly. You'd never know, we could be a perfect match. ;) davey and dub, ohh yeah. :cool:

Lol.... you never know, I could be one of your 20. Now get a move on and start mailing

Gosh, I must be really weird/picky as I honestly can't imagine I'd be able to find 20 profiles that I'd be interested in (that I have not contacted previously) in a single day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭smallgarden

This threads getting quite interesting.itl be fun to see results of this experiment.also had someone similar to novella declaring their love early on,he was French so put it down to being a French thing!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement