Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread 3..**READ 1ST POST Oct 2012**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Eek, I haven't been checking in to any OD the past week or two (or maybe longer) and what do you know, I just checked my emails there and have 4 OKC messages and 4 POF messages :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

LittleFox wrote: »
    Ha I hope this is not in reference to me :p

Lords no (she knows who she is...). How did Saturday go in any case? Not too bad I'm guessing since you never called me in a terrified panick!
    LittleFox wrote:
    Hey, long time lurker here, ive had success online before and enjoy meeting people, but does anyone else find their ability to recognise a genuine person failing?

Ah, perhaps not so :/
    Define 'genuine people'. By not genuine do you mean those who aren't honest about their intentions or these kind of people?

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭LittleFox

Galvasean wrote: »
    Lords no (she knows who she is...). How did Saturday go in any case? Not too bad I'm guessing since you never called me in a terrified panick!
    Ah, perhaps not so :/
    Define 'genuine people'. By not genuine do you mean those who aren't honest about their intentions or these kind of people?
    Ha I was wondering as i was getting awful abuse from work the other day over it :) Saturday was grand, he was a lovely guy, but there just wasn't any chemistry really.

Ha well both but more not honest about intentions. Have been talking to one guy for months and find out last night he was lying the whole time and is in a relationship an "unhappy one". Ha you know me, a bit too trusting I think.

Well, thats why I personally would not talk to someone for months before meeting up. Sounds a bit too much like they're hiding something if they're that reluctant to meet...

What did they say to you in work? I can tell you for a fact (can't name names) that you aint the only one from that place on POF ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭LittleFox

Yeah I didn't see it turning into anything I was just annoyed about being outright lied to.

Ha the usual asking me who I was seeing and when, saying they couldn't keep track. Ooh have I converted someone? Well i know the arranger of xmas party was on for a while but got turned off by an odd date and I know a fellow redhead has been hmming and haawing about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

OD thread beers could be a good laugh, since we all seem to have horror stories to share.

But, like another poster said, you'd have to go into it knowing full well that it's FRIENDLY, not a hook up night. Any attempts at hooking up would just create terrible awkwardness for the rest of us, and if one person is shot down, that makes it even worse. :pac:

I also think that organising it via PM would be good, 'cause we get a lot of lurkers on this thread, and we don't really want people who don't post but think it's an easy way to get laid turning up.

Could be fun, though! Share our stories, have a few drinks, lament about people not realising how wonderful we all are, etc etc.

Totally up for it if anyone else is. :) It'll be my first beers, too, since I haven't really gotten around to going to any yet, despite people nagging me to do so.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Count me in too! I am sure we all have even more horror stories to share than we are letting on here :D

miamee wrote: »
    Count me in too! I am sure we all have even more horror stories to share than we are letting on here :D

I'd imagine we all have!

Okay... Guess someone needs to start setting this up!

Everyone who's interested, PM me a pub suggestion! Whichever one gets the most recommendations, we can use.

Then we'll work on dates (time of year, not hot people to bring with us :pac:)! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

LyndaMcL wrote: »
    I'd imagine we all have!

Okay... Guess someone needs to start setting this up!

Everyone who's interested, PM me a pub suggestion! Whichever one gets the most recommendations, we can use.

Then we'll work on dates (time of year, not hot people to bring with us :pac:)! :)

i'd suggest leaving it until the new year. Most of us post on more than one forum here, and each one of the social forums will be having their own christmas beers.

I think Agent Smith was nominated the organise the TGC Xmas beers.

And the silly season is expensive enough, drowning our sorrows as another year rolls by with us sitting at home in our crying chairs (funny houses/flats to rent thread in AH for those of you who don't get the reference) as the clock strikes midnight on New Years eve and all we have for company is cats/dogs/assorted cuddly animals/stuffed toys

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Hang on....can I ask why you didn't just come to the overall tGC beers we had last saturday? it IS the forum the thread is in after all?! :confused:

(I know some of you did - just curious as to why this topic has come up now!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭smallgarden

id be on for it,id say all of us have prob rejected or been rejected by someone on this thread,once noones been nasty about it,it should be okay,could bump into someone at tgc meetup so same potential for awkwardness,its weird totally assumed linda was a regular boardsie at meetups,no idea why

Hang on....can I ask why you didn't just come to the overall tGC beers we had last saturday? it IS the forum the thread is in after all?! :confused:

COUGH!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭smallgarden

i toyed with it but wasnt feeling like going out on saturday so had quite night in,id post alot more in this thread than on rest of forum so woud be more familar with users on the thread than on the forum.other people could be the same and thats why it was suggested

This is the only thread I regularly read in TGC so I didn't know about the beers until someone mentioned them here a day or two beforehand.

The reason I didn't go was 'cause I was broke after Halloween. :(

And Agent Smith is a lovely guy, I'd imagine he'd set up a pretty mad beers session. :pac:

Agreed with leaving it til the new year, but may as well get it sorted now. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

I'm just sending messages every few days when I get bored at this point, or I feel inspired to pick some detail out of predominantly bland profiles. The auld response rate on messages is pretty appalling. I'm sure someone will message who took an interest in me after a while but these things demand a fair bit of patience don't they?

id be on for it,id say all of us have prob rejected or been rejected by someone on this thread,once noones been nasty about it,it should be okay,could bump into someone at tgc meetup so same potential for awkwardness,its weird totally assumed linda was a regular boardsie at meetups,no idea why

Yeah, I think most of us have gone on boardsie dates by now, but I'm sure we're all cool enough not to care about that. :)

Nah, I'm not a reg to any beers. I've met up with a few people from boards and one of the tGC regs is a pretty close friend of mine now, and he's always trying to drag me to the beers, but I've been too shy! The one on Saturday, I was genuinely too broke, but all the others I haven't gone to were purely shyness and nothing else. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

Where are these meetups held?

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    Where are these meetups held?

Usually in Dublin, as that's where the majority of users are based.

If you want in on this one, send me a PM with a location/pub suggestion. Whichever one gets the most suggestions will be the base. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

I caved. I'm back in the mad world of online dating. OKC this time, though. I just couldn't face the prospect of POF again.

It's a completely different world there, tbh. People have actual personalities. Although the third person to message me twigged me as a Boardsie. I'm terrible at that game; I never recognise them back :(

• Advertisement

Honey-ec wrote: »
    I caved. I'm back in the mad world of online dating. OKC this time, though. I just couldn't face the prospect of POF again.

It's a completely different world there, tbh. People have actual personalities. Although the third person to message me twigged me as a Boardsie. I'm terrible at that game; I never recognise them back :(

I never recognise them either, it's awkward when that happens!

Welcome back, lady, and good luck! OkC isn't half as bad as POF, thankfully. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

To be honest, for those lads and lassies who are hoping/wishing for an OD date: you're better off not going on one.

I really do ****ing hate POF.

To be honest, for those lads and lassies who are hoping/wishing for an OD date: you're better off not going on one.

I really do ****ing hate POF.

Bad experience recently? :(

In fairness though, they're not all bad. I've had some lovely dates. More lovely than bad dates, actually.

LittleFox wrote: »
    Ha the usual asking me who I was seeing and when, saying they couldn't keep track. Ooh have I converted someone? Well i know the arranger of xmas party was on for a while but got turned off by an odd date and I know a fellow redhead has been hmming and haawing about it.

Haha. A couple of them were asking me about you on Haloween weekend. My lips were sealed!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

nice_very wrote: »

also had a woman who is 1 year older than me tell me I was too young for her.. lol

Just reminded me of a sexy 55 year old woman i wrote to, i'm 42. She replied " You're just a kid, i'd chew you up and spit you out!" :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

In fairness though, they're not all bad. I've had some lovely dates. More lovely than bad dates, actually.

But i'm guessing nothing has come out of them though? I'll be honest, with OD i have gone to the stage where i go, oh here we go again why do i bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

No, no bad experiences, all been lovely. But I've just been so unlucky with meeting quite a few flaky girls with no manners.
    It's the 'oh here we go again' thing, as Micky says.

I'm also in the camp that, with some notable exceptions, the vast majority of my dates were pleasant experiences. However, they lead to nothing more than a "You're a nice guy but...", "No spark", "I'm not really lloking for anything now" text or worse still, thee dreaded blank of doom.

Galvasean wrote: »
    I'm also in the camp that, with some notable exceptions, the vast majority of my dates were pleasant experiences. However, they lead to nothing more than a "You're a nice guy but...", "No spark", "I'm not really lloking for anything now" text or worse still, thee dreaded blank of doom.

There's not really a whole pile can be done about that though.
    What would you (REALLY) prefer? to be regarded as a nice guy or to be a prick that some woman thinks she has to fix?

Me? Feck it, I'm a nice guy. I can deal with that. If it means I'm a nice single guy, then I can deal with that too. I don't have to be happy about it, but it's who I am.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Ah if we had hot people to bring with us we wouldnt be using od!!

Hang on....can I ask why you didn't just come to the overall tGC beers we had last saturday? it IS the forum the thread is in after all?!
    )

I have been to one beers - great night. However, I found a lot of people already know each other and there are a lot of 'in jokes' on the thread before and after the meetup. It can be a bit daunting if you have never been before!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement