Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread 3..**READ 1ST POST Oct 2012**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭smallgarden

Why are a lot of women's pictures taken in the toilet?
    alot of people take pictures using a mirror,there are loads of male ones in the toilet

The best bit is that her face is partially hidden in her (only) photo.

So many people's profiles are fcuking negative - it's no this, no that, I'm not interested in this and that.

FFS - and you wonder 'where have the good men gone' ? *
    To look elsewhere!

For the ladies on here - do men generally provide the same, incessant depressing tick list of negative vibes, because I'm losing the will to live here.

And another thing. A lecture from an OD princess is one thing, but at least learn to fcuking spell before outlining your impossible demands.

*the next time I see this phrase I'm going to shoot myself

men do the exact same,shocker! either stating what they want or what they dont want.some examples

You should message me if
    You...
    a) are interesting and prefer living life to sitting watching tv
    b) know where your going and what you want.. even vaguely!
    c) likes to laugh and enjoys making others happy
    d) able to talk about anything and everything
    e) take good care of your body
    f) aren't bananas crazy or resentful to ex boyfriends ;)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

For the ladies on here - do men generally provide the same, incessant depressing tick list of negative vibes, because I'm losing the will to live here.
    They do to a certain extent, maybe not as much as women if the posts in here are anything to go by.

I do remember reading a man's profile that had an actual list of what he was NOT looking for. The negativity was unreal, he was never going to get anywhere with the profile. So I (being the nice girl that I am :rolleyes:) messaged him to say he'd do better with a list of what he actually is looking for.
    Let's just say he wasn't best pleased :pac:

alot of people take pictures using a mirror,there are loads of male ones in the toilet

But in public ones though? I've come across so many that looked like they were taken in a nightclub or pub.

But in public ones though? I've come across so many that looked like they were taken in a nightclub or pub.

theres better lighting in a toilet on a night out maybe ;)
    on a seperate note i didnt realise you could see full profiles of people without being a member on pof.i could have sworn you could see summary but never full profiles before

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Some girls do take photos of themselves and friends in the loo alright, I don't get it either. Though women don't go to the ladies just to spend a penny, it can be a whole other social space in there. But that's for another thread that's probably been done a hundred times before :D

i get more messages when have pics on private :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

Oh my god that says it all to me ! If she was supermodel material you would kind of say to yourself she can be slightly picky . At this stage I just avoid them sort of profiles .
    I just got a message on POF and told her I wasn't interested because right now I would prefer not to date somebody without kids . It even states that in my profile that I am not interested in kids at this moment in time and don't think it would be right to date somebody and possibly end up in a relationship with somebody who has kids . She then message me back calling me an " arrogant smug p**** " WTF .

That's unfair. Taking on someone kids (assuming things get serious) is a major thing and may not be for everyone. It may also mean never having kids of you own and that a lot to expect of someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭LittleFox

Hey I've a first date on Tuesday evening , thing is we are both stone broke, anyone know of anything fun to do in town that wont cost alot? if it was brighter a simple walk would be grand but it gets so dark so early now. Thank you :)

LittleFox wrote: »
    Hey I've a first date on Tuesday evening , thing is we are both stone broke, anyone know of anything fun to do in town that wont cost alot? if it was brighter a simple walk would be grand but it gets so dark so early now. Thank you :)

A couple of drinks in a cosy pub wouldn't cost that much.

• Advertisement

Go to a museum, get a thermos of hot chocolate/tea/coffee and go for a walk somewhere. Something nice and simple. Dates don't have to cost much money.

Go to a museum, get a thermos of hot chocolate/tea/coffee and go for a walk somewhere. Something nice and simple. Dates don't have to cost much money.
    yeah I was thinking maybe a museum, just have to check what time they close at as it would be 7.30 or so before we meet. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Lots of free museums in Dublin. Not sure how late they open though.

Galvasean wrote: »
    Lots of free museums in Dublin. Not sure how late they open though.
    Thank you m'dear yes I shall have to research that. Oh and you still owe me an answer about who's online!!

"Service is unavailable".... how often :mad:

Oh and you still owe me an answer about who's online!!

I'd feel bad telling you TBH. Not everybody is as up front about the whole OD thing as yourself and myself. It's a shame, but to many there is still a stigma/sense of embarassment about it. I think it's misguided, but will respect their wishes.

Galvasean wrote: »
    I'd feel bad telling you TBH. Not everybody is as up front about the whole OD thing as yourself and myself. It's a shame, but to many there is still a stigma/sense of embarassment about it. I think it's misguided, but will respect their wishes.
    Understandable, I wil figure it out myself, I know the party planner was on and shes rejoining as we talked on Thursday,I've said I will give as much advice as I can re guys as she was weirded out that I didn't tell her something that I knew would put her off her last date as shes not as open re peoples quirks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

riveratom wrote: »
    Does it really happen for blokes??!

I think I'd feckin love if it happened to me!! :pac:

Exactly, I'd really doubt too many men are going to be traumatised by that. A break up from a serious relationship would be different, but you're hardly going to be heart broken after knowing someone for a few hours.
    Knowing that someone took advantage of you, just for their own benefit?

Taken advantage of? Ohh please. :rolleyes: I've never heard of a man been taken advantage of in casual sex. He may feel regret or disappointment - but taken advantage of? I don't think so.

i think that's a really derogatory attitude to have towards men. men can feel as used as women can after sex. you may not feel like that as it seems you have a you got sex out of it so what does it matter how you feel type attitude but that's not to say other men feel the same way as you.

i think that's a really derogatory attitude to have towards men. men can feel as used as women can after sex. you may not feel like that as it seems you have a you got sex out of it so what does it matter how you feel type attitude but that's not to say other men feel the same way as you.

I just don't think it happens to men, at least not in a casual sex scenario where both people have only known each other for a few hours. Now if the woman lied about her intentions or used sex as a bartering tool that would be different. But 2 peole having a bit of fun on the first day they meet? If either person were looking for something serious, then sex wouldn't exactly be on the cards on the first date anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Daveysil15 wrote: »

Exactly, I'd really doubt too many men are going to be traumatised by that. A break up from a serious relationship would be different, but you're hardly going to be heart broken after knowing someone for a few hours.

Taken advantage of? Ohh please. :rolleyes: I've never heard of a man been taken advantage of in casual sex. He may feel regret or disappointment - but taken advantage of? I don't think so.

So because you've never heard of it happening means its never happened? Wow. Just wow. The arrogance of that statement.

Now I understand how you couldn't understand how that girl you were talking about last night felt used.

Oh, welcome to the ignore list.

So because you've never heard of it happening means its never happened? Wow. Just wow. The arrogance of that statement.

So because you've heard it happening then it happens? Just because I said I never heard of it happening doesn't mean it has never happened. But it certainly wouldn't be the norm for men to feel like they were taken advantage of after casual sex. You're on a different planet.

So because you've heard it happening then it happens? Just because I said I never heard of it happening doesn't mean it has never happened. But it certainly wouldn't be the norm for men to feel like they were taken advantage of after casual sex. You're on a different planet.

im guessing if someone heard from people that it happens then it happens. i dont think anyone was saying it was the norm or very common but acknowledging it can happen to both men and women.its probably alot more common with women as we tend to attach more emotions to sex

im guessing if someone heard from people that it happens then it happens. i dont think anyone was saying it was the norm or very common but acknowledging it can happen to both men and women.its probably alot more common with women as we tend to attach more emotions to sex

I agree, of course it can happen. People can get struck by lightning if the're really unlucky. The only way I would feel used in that situation is if the woman were using sex as a bartering tool to get what she wants - but even then its not like I wouldn't have got any enjoyment out of it - so it wouldn't be the end of the world.

Now I'm not someone who has an attitude of 'as long as I get my bit nothing else matters,' but if someone "used" me for sex I wouldn't be that bothered. I've seen women promising men sex so he will buy her drinks all night, and then she just fcuks off and leaves him there at the end of the night. That that would be a situation where I would feel like I was taken advantage of.

yeah I was thinking maybe a museum, just have to check what time they close at as it would be 7.30 or so before we meet. :)

I don't think you will get a museum open at that hour and will will be too cold for a walk that is why I suggested a drink or two in a pub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭YumCha

There's lots of things in the Dublin free events guide :)

I don't know if its been mentioned already, but there's a girl on POF organising a meet-up on the 1st of December in the Gresham Hotel Dublin. Apparently there's going to be one every month after that.

I don't know if its been mentioned already, but there's a girl on POF organising a meet-up on the 1st of December in the Gresham Hotel Dublin. Apparently there's going to be one every month after that.

We should all go, form a group and then give other users detailed notes o why their profiles are terrible. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Hello everyone. I recently started using an online dating site and I've really hit it off with a girl. We've been exchanging messages for a couple of weeks now, big novel-length emails. We share the same interests and passions etc. Just wondering when is the right time to ask her to meet up? Too soon and I end up with egg on my face, freaking her out? Too late and she gets disinterested? Or perhaps worst of all, leave it so late that I become permanantly frozen in the friend-zone time/space continuum?

• Advertisement

I generally try and meet a person as soon as possible. My biggest concern is that if you don't, you'll always build up an idea of their online persona and who you want them to be, but when you meet them in person, they might not be that person. Has happened to me once or twice.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement