Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread 3..**READ 1ST POST Oct 2012**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭riveratom

Had a date earlier with an absolute stunner... any lads on OKCupid might know who I'm talking about, she stands out!

Anyways, my gut instinct tells me the date went ok but that neither of us were blown away by the other, but where does one go after a date that might have gone either way? I just got a text from her saying that she was just home, and thanks for earlier... any advice, ladies? :)

Can I take a guess here and say blonde girl, kinda tall, not from Dublin....?!

Might not be though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

It's astounding the amount of teachers on POF that can't spell for sh1t!

And also, these vague job titles like 'professional' or 'healthcare' or 'I have one!' Grrr!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    I never seem to get any replies from women in my area. I always have to search elsewhere. I was chatting to a gorgeous blonde who had the same location as me as in her profile. So I was like :cool:

But after a few messages she tells me she lives in Cork and then I was like :mad::mad::mad:
    She wasn't the promo girl with the Finnish mother by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭missrandomer

Im back on the look out again myself. Things didnt work out with mr perfect :D.
    Had a date with a guy the other night, who's photos definitly didnt do him any justice! i was definitly punching above my weight, it may have knocked my confidence
    God damn you insecurities!!

Im thinking of updating my profile too, i dont really want to make it more serious yet i dont want to seem like im just on it to be someones Hot water bottle for the night! :rolleyes:
    Any tips

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

riveratom wrote: »
    Can I take a guess here and say blonde girl, kinda tall, not from Dublin....?!

Might not be though :)

Dublin, brunette, not too tall, looks like a model.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

So I turned one of my pics on POF public again last night and after 20 mins got a message from a man telling me he had just w*nked over my photo

Smooooooooth!

Thinking about giving the whole OD thing another whirl. I'm kind of in a transitional period at the minute - trying to save some cash and trying to lose some weight. Doing pretty well at both, tbh. I'd thought about going back into this in a few months after that but I don't know. I quite like the idea of going on a couple of dates.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Smooooooooth!

Thinking about giving the whole OD thing another whirl. I'm kind of in a transitional period at the minute - trying to save some cash and trying to lose some weight. Doing pretty well at both, tbh. I'd thought about going back into this in a few months after that but I don't know. I quite like the idea of going on a couple of dates.

Those 2 bits are not really compatible!! ;):p

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭LittleFox

Ahhh just saw the hairy nude shot I'm traumatised I thought it was a dog at first. Why just why would you put that up?????

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Those 2 bits are not really compatible!! ;):p

No, exactly. I don't think any of it is compatible as dates tend to revolve around food & drinks which are conducive to losing weight either.

I think I might have talked myself into staying off of POF for a while longer, here :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

It's astounding the amount of teachers on POF that can't spell for sh1t!

I always find that hilarious. It's not that I'd get snobby about a mistake or two but some of them type the most unreadable garbage.

• Advertisement

think i'm going to have to give up my anti POF snobbery even though i detest that site!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

think i'm going to have to give up my anti POF snobbery even though i detest that site!

It's horrific. If it was for anything else, I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. It just looks like a spammy, awful thing. The app is infinitely less annoying than the desktop site. In fact, I still might not go near it, might try some other options first :)

Good luck though, you will probably get some more traffic than you do on OKC, way more people on it ;)

miamee wrote: »
    It's horrific. If it was for anything else, I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. It just looks like a spammy, awful thing. The app is infinitely less annoying than the desktop site. In fact, I still might not go near it, might try some other options first :)

Good luck though, you will probably get some more traffic than you do on OKC, way more people on it ;)

that's your way of saying have a stiff drink before i turn on my pooter tonight, isn't it!! :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

that's your way of saying have a stiff drink before i turn on my pooter tonight, isn't it!! :)

:pac::pac: well to be honest, I work online so might be especially sensitive to the horrors of how the site is set up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

Beefy78 wrote: »
    No, exactly. I don't think any of it is compatible as dates tend to revolve around food & drinks which are conducive to losing weight either.

I think I might have talked myself into staying off of POF for a while longer, here :D

It's obviously an individual thing but when I was trying to lose weight earlier in the year, I did still go on dates. In my case, I more or less stopped drinking as it made it a bit easier to follow the food and exercise plan, so if I was going on a date, we went for coffee or a couple of drinks and I drank sparkling water. I guess I was a cheap date especially as I always take turns with rounds! :o I prefer to keep the first date short, just in case it's horribly awkward :p

Not really suitable for a first date but on one second date, we went trail walking (it was a busy touristy spot so I felt it was pretty safe). I really enjoyed that. Other possible dates that don't cost money (or just a little): walk/cycle in tne Phoenix Park, trip to a museum/gallery (you could view the exhibition and have a coffee afterwards and chat about it), or if you check out http://www.dublineventguide.com, there are lots of free events (music gigs, open mic nights, stuff like that). I know some people are more comfortable with just going for drinks or dinner and I also hear that some women don't always pay their way :( so the above might not suit but just a thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Don't worry about going on dates while trying to lose weight. I've been losing weight steadily for the past 2 years, and won't go on 'food' dates because I'd feel like a weirdo ordering a salad (I've had guys in the past bitch at me for doing so, even though I LIKE salad!).

If you go for drinks, get a spirit and diet mixer. If I remember correctly, a vodka and diet coke is around 47 calories, which isn't going to kill you! Or go for a coffee/tea. Neither costs too much and neither have many calories.

There are loads of things you can do that don't involve food. I've yet to go on a date involving food, even with someone I was seeing for about 3 months. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

So I turned one of my pics on POF public again last night and after 20 mins got a message from a man telling me he had just w*nked over my photo. So something's haven't changed. I wouldn't mind but the pic is of me sitting at my desk in work.

Ahh now... tell the truth. You were dressed as a sexy secretary in a short skirt and a pair of glasses weren't you? Ye little tease ye. :pac:
    And also, these vague job titles like 'professional' or 'healthcare' or 'I have one!' Grrr!

Yeah there's a lot of professionals on it alright. Some people just put, "Have One" for their profession. :rolleyes:

:pac::pac: well to be honest, I work online so might be especially sensitive to the horrors of how the site is set up :D

lasted 5 minutes before i left!!!

at least i got the profile set up

• Registered Users Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

Daveysil15 wrote: »

Ahh now... tell the truth. You were dressed as a sexy secretary in a short skirt and a pair of glasses weren't you? Ye little tease ye. :pac:
    :

I only do that after the third date ; )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Last night's date just rang and I actually did that fluttery/smiley thing when I saw it was him.

It's been a while since that happened.

• Advertisement

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Last night's date just rang and I actually did that fluttery/smiley thing when I saw it was him.

It's been a while since that happened.
    Woohoo! Aw that's great! Is date number two on the cards now?

Woohoo! Aw that's great! Is date number two on the cards now?

At some stage! I do the 9-5 thing and he's a bar manager, so our schedules couldn't be more different, but we'll squazz it in somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭yeahimhere

My date on Saturday went well - lots in common but not sure on the attraction. I think I should start placing more weight on pictures than the profiles, always thought I was more of a personality girl but alas, I seem to have a shallow side after all! Might be a slow burner though because he ticks the majority of what I'm looking for so going to go out again and see if it grows.

Might sound a bit weird, but does anyone else find it a bit of a turn off when they're given too many compliments on a date? Not like 4 or 5, but more like 50! It just made me feel like there was a bit of an insecurity on his side and that he felt I was out of his league?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

yeahimhere wrote: »
    My date on Saturday went well - lots in common but not sure on the attraction. I think I should start placing more weight on pictures than the profiles, always thought I was more of a personality girl but alas, I seem to have a shallow side after all! Might be a slow burner though because he ticks the majority of what I'm looking for so going to go out again and see if it grows.

Might sound a bit weird, but does anyone else find it a bit of a turn off when they're given too many compliments on a date? Not like 4 or 5, but more like 50! It just made me feel like there was a bit of an insecurity on his side and that he felt I was out of his league?

I often think it can be insincere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

50 is a bit much, although it depends on the person. Sometimes when I compliment a girl she's like, "Aww thanks." But other girls are like, "Woah you wanna shag me." You don't want to seem too keen.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 155 ✭✭jay92

Iv seen some of ye mention okcupid, is this site free like pof?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

There's no point only going for personality. There needs to be attraction there too!

I also hate guys who pay too many compliments but then again I am terrible at taking them. So one or two - while making me uncomfortable - I will accept but a lot more than that would be a huge turn off because 1) it's either the "you're amazing" putting you on a pedestal type thing when they barely know you or 2) trying to get in your pants :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

jay92 wrote: »

Yup it's free. Wasn't on there long as I found there's a limited amount of users in comparison to POF. I much prefer the layout though and you get better detailed profiles

jay92 wrote: »

Yup.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 155 ✭✭jay92

Thanks lad I,ll give it a gander

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement