Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread 3..**READ 1ST POST Oct 2012**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭yeahimhere

mood wrote: »
    I often think it can be insincere.

I'd agree in some cases but would depend on the guy. He was lovely and just seemed like he liked to compliment. They weren't sleazy in any way, just a little too many.
    Daveysil15 wrote: »
    50 is a bit much, although it depends on the person. Sometimes when I compliment a girl she's like, "Aww thanks." But other girls are like, "Woah you wanna shag me." You don't want to seem too keen.

We stayed out for quite a while, so it was spread out rather than having that many in an hour or so period. It was lovely to hear the first few times and suppose I received the first few in the way they were intended...so perhaps that's why he felt comfortable in continuing.

Meh, I'll just let him know to ease off a little bit if he keeps doing it when we meet again.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Go the gruaig cut. Now my pictures don't match up. Bah! :pac:

There's no point only going for personality. There needs to be attraction there too!

I also hate guys who pay too many compliments but then again I am terrible at taking them. So one or two - while making me uncomfortable - I will accept but a lot more than that would be a huge turn off because 1) it's either the "you're amazing" putting you on a pedestal type thing when they barely know you or 2) trying to get in your pants :pac:

Definitely the attraction needs to be there, but I just find it difficult to judge that from a picture really. In the past when I've met someone IRL I may not have given them a second glance only for we happened to start chatting. Then what we talked about, their manorisms etc made me attracted to them. I'm just finding that a little hard to translate into OD and probably it's not possible to translate into this medium.

Yea, I think your two explanations for compliments might be right - now just to decide which one I think he is :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

My lack of success with OD, has on occasion, led me to go to clubs alone to try and meet women, only to be greeted with dirty looks and utter disdain from the women who frequent them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    My lack of success with OD, has on occasion, led me to go to clubs alone to try and meet women, only to be greeted with dirty looks and utter disdain from the women who frequent them.

Maybe that is because you are out alone. It always a bit dodgy somehow!

Anyway clubs are not a great place to meet someone. Pubs are better IMO. You can chat properly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

I see there are some singles nights being organised on POF. Anyone been to these before, any good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

mood wrote: »
    Maybe that is because you are out alone. It always a bit dodgy somehow!

Anyway clubs are not a great place to meet someone. Pubs are better IMO. You can chat properly.

Yeah and at least with OD you don't need a wingman.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

I haven't really posted here about my "experience(s)". First guy I met years ago on OD I ended up engaged to. That ended a good while ago then met someone recently who I liked. My problem is, is that I don't have a filter or game player thingy fitted. So blew it this weekend before I made it to date 3.
    I have deactivated my OD account of which I only have 1.

Anyone like me ever think, why oh why? Step away from the keyboard!!!

I see there are some singles nights being organised on POF. Anyone been to these before, any good?

I haven't myself, but I'd be curious to see what one is like, I'd feela bit weird going on my own though. Maybe a few of us boardsies should go to one? Watch each others backs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

jay92 wrote: »
    Iv seen some of ye mention okcupid, is this site free like pof?

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but when I log into POF, it says you have to PAY if you want to use certain features of the site.....?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭sffc

Galvasean wrote: »

I haven't myself, but I'd be curious to see what one is like, I'd feela bit weird going on my own though. Maybe a few of us boardsies should go to one? Watch each others backs.
    Happily dating now ( six months :-))) ) but have been to two POF ones in Dublin earlier in the year . Very enjoyable really . Any questions fires away or pm :)

What's the gender ratio like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭sffc

What's the gender ratio like?
    First one about 50/50 second way more women. The free one had more men I heard. My advice for guys is go to the paid. The more expensive the better. Men are mean ;-)
    Should say the two I went to were pay in - tenner.

That's what I was thinking, walking in by myself would feel a bit awkward. But then would others be walking in solo.

I saw those and thought it might be a little daunting to go to alone but someone posted a link to another site a few pages back that seemed a little less so. I'd like to try the dinner one;

http://www.firstdate.ie/events/saturday-night-supper-club-15th-decembe

The age group says 28+ so what would you think the actual age group might be? I'm 28 so my rough cut off point is around 35-ish hence wondering if 28+ is realistically around 40ish and above.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but when I log into POF, it says you have to PAY if you want to use certain features of the site.....?

Yup you have to pay for some additional features, but you can use all the main functions for free. I don't see any added benefit in the paid features.

That's what I was thinking, walking in by myself would feel a bit awkward. But then would others be walking in solo.

According to POF people tend to bring on average three friends with them...

In other news; I've been logged into POF fora good 20 minutes now. Notching up quite a few profile views. They must have forgotten what I looked like in my absence! :pac:

Question: what is that silver chair/throne thingy in about 6 million girls' profiles?

Question: what is that silver chair/throne thingy in about 6 million girls' profiles?

I'm a girl (woman) and I'm :confused:

I think it must be in a night club or something. There's this tacky looking throne thing that a lot of girls are sitting on in their profile pics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

If you are browsing profiles from Dublin there is a chair like the one you are describing in the wright venue .

I think I know the one you're talking about. Saw it pop up on a few peoples facebook profiles over the last few months. Must be a nightclub.

So no advice for a noobie newbs? This is exactly the kinda **** that lost me my third date.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭dave3004

I think it must be in a night club or something. There's this tacky looking throne thing that a lot of girls are sitting on in their profile pics.

Sounds like the chair upstairs outside the girls toilets in the Wright Venue.

Thats a guess. Havent been in there in 2 or 3 years.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Mince Pie wrote: »
    So no advice for a noobie newbs? This is exactly the kinda **** that lost me my third date.
    What lost you your third date?

miamee wrote: »
    What lost you your third date?

Erm, reckon the random not freakey but random email I sent on Saturday night to a non drinker. We'd been talking every day up till then for about 3 weeks. 2 dates interspersed.
    Gutted cos I'm normalish but you know sometimes it doesnt transcribe well off net. :o

Edited to add that OKC reckons I'm hot so maybe my freaky tendencies can be offset by a list of demands??

According to POF people tend to bring on average three friends with them...

In other news; I've been logged into POF fora good 20 minutes now. Notching up quite a few profile views. They must have forgotten what I looked like in my absence! :pac:

Being my cynical self, is that just website bluff and really no one is bringing friends with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Erm, reckon the random not freakey but random email I sent on Saturday night to a non drinker. We'd been talking every day up till then for about 3 weeks. 2 dates interspersed.
    Gutted cos I'm normalish but you know sometimes it doesnt transcribe well off net. :o

Ah you broke the golden rule Never Ever go on POF while Drunk or have had a few drinks ! Some of the mails I have sent out while drunk would honestly get me a slap .

Edited to add that OKC reckons I'm hot so maybe my freaky tendencies can be offset by a list of demands??

If you were talking to the guy every day for three weeks and had two dates, I don't think one email when you were drunk (assuming that's what you mean!?) would have turned him off unless it was something fairly dodgy?

I'm not quite sure what the edited part means I'm afraid :(

• Advertisement

Being my cynical self, is that just website bluff and really no one is bringing friends with them?

Ah yeah, I'd say it is mostly bluff to be honest.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement