Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread 3..**READ 1ST POST Oct 2012**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Siuin wrote: »
    I was rather creeped out by how quickly everyone jumps on new members... especially the oldies and scumbags who can't spell...

Unfortunately newbie pouncing is NOT unique to POF.

Think it happens on just about every site.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭smallgarden

miamee wrote: »
    Everything or just POF?

pof and okc,was strongly thinking about it and a polite pfo message was final straw

Ah ffs!!

I say I'm gonna stop and start getting messages from a fully paid up member of the cutie tribe!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

My quiver matches on okcupid today one hasn't been on the site since June 2011 another since Aug this year. Not going to have any luck with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Ah sweet Quiver robot, always recommending me girls whom I have mailed previously and been ignored by.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

A note

- ANyone who doesnt want put up pictures, should send them once initial contact has been made, no later.

- The newbie pouncing is bad, but i find they havnt grown annoyed yet and less likely to have massive character flaws , than people who have gone on loads of dates and still not found someone they might like

Loast of all my first online date since deciding give it another go, lovely girl, mixed photos on profile which is good and honest, but conversation has flowed, and felt like getting know each other rather than the investigation some woman seem to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

So, after having an inactive account for probably over a year, decided to rejoin the creepzone that is POF... May as well have never made a profile before, if I'm honest! Any advice on what to say to catch any girls attention would be much appreciated?

manafana wrote: »
    less likely to have massive character flaws , than people who have gone on loads of dates and still not found someone they might like

Seriously??

Just because someone hasn't met someone and doesn't want to settle DOES NOT automatically equate massive character flaws.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 zarazoe

Anybody have any experience of parship? Is it true it's for "serious" people? Or just as "bad" (you know) as pof and other free ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Rejoined the aul' online dating scene tonight. Went for OKCupid this time round.
    POF has a lot more traffic, but the layout and content is little off!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

Seriously??

Just because someone hasn't met someone and doesn't want to settle DOES NOT automatically equate massive character flaws.

less likely not automatically, alot moe likely to get responses too, very hard filter profile on pof to people that might suit you so many poor profiles

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Ah ffs!!

I say I'm gonna stop and start getting messages from a fully paid up member of the cutie tribe!
    Well, did you crumble and log back in? :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

zarazoe wrote: »
    Anybody have any experience of parship? Is it true it's for "serious" people? Or just as "bad" (you know) as pof and other free ones?
    Oh I used Parship a few years ago. I never met anyone from it but I don't think I was fully committed to dating at the time. Definitely give it a whirl anyway, has to be better than POF.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 sarah42012

After reading this through this thread I tried pof earlier about 2 months ago I think for about a month.

I didn't get too many weirdos and chatted to a few sound attractive lads. My problem is that I tend to be quite formal when meeting ppl, it takes me awhile to 'loosen up' and be myself. Most ppl think I'm quiet and reserved and my friends think this is hilarious as I'm the complete opposite! I would be worried that a date would end up being a horrible awkward interview-esque type meeting cos I can be so quiet :(
    Anyone else the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Sparky85

Any recommendations for something fun to do on Sunday for a few hours ?? I've a 4th date. In north Kildare but city centre is easily got to if anyone has any ideas ? Weather is supposed to be a bit sh*te so that rules out most outdoor things.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

Sparky85 wrote: »
    Any recommendations for something fun to do on Sunday for a few hours ?? I've a 4th date. In north Kildare but city centre is easily got to if anyone has any ideas ? Weather is supposed to be a bit sh*te so that rules out most outdoor things.

This looks kinda cool and you can get something to eat?

http://www.dublinflea.ie/dublin-flea-market-gallery-photos.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

sarah42012 wrote: »
    After reading this through this thread I tried pof earlier about 2 months ago I think for about a month.

I didn't get too many weirdos and chatted to a few sound attractive lads. My problem is that I tend to be quite formal when meeting ppl, it takes me awhile to 'loosen up' and be myself. Most ppl think I'm quiet and reserved and my friends think this is hilarious as I'm the complete opposite! I would be worried that a date would end up being a horrible awkward interview-esque type meeting cos I can be so quiet :(
    Anyone else the same?

The best thing you could do in that situation is to just pretend they are a friend you could also look through all your mails and find things to talk about by doing that . Like if they have a hobby ask have they been doing it lately or ask them how the likes of work is going . I would say the best form of date for you would be something along the lines of bowling because you are playing a game while having a laugh so it will help you come out of your shell quicker .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

Larianne wrote: »
    Well I don't wear a lot of make-up usually anyways. Must be the dark rimmed glasses so.

The bohemian, bookish 'look' is much more attractive than a heavily made up image for many...

So, definitely stick with the glasses if they work for you!

miamee wrote: »
    Well, did you crumble and log back in? :D

Yep. Conversation lasted 4 mails before she got bored!! Someone edit in the embarrassed smiley there please.

Yep. Conversation lasted 4 mails before she got bored!! Someone edit in the embarrassed smiley there please.

Ah she might have just had to go to bed or do something, you never know. But just for you :o:o :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Someone with no pic just asked me out in their very first message to me. You'd have to wonder what kind of success rate he has with a modus operandi like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Someone with no pic just asked me out in their very first message to me. You'd have to wonder what kind of success rate he has with a modus operandi like that.

Bit like the ones who send their phone number in the first message!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

sarah42012 wrote: »

Anyone else the same?

I can be the same for about half of a first date, because I'm extremely shy until I get to know someone. I just warned anyone I went on a date with and it all worked out fine, so don't worry! If you think you'll be a bit formal, just tell the guy you're very shy at first. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Quite attractive girl messaged me today, chatting away and after just 3-4 messages back and forth she says "Cool that you like dating, I do too. Sure you never know who you meet. So let's do it, excited now lol!"

Had to explain to her than I prefer to chat just a little longer before meeting someone... I know it's ridiculous but I can't help but wonder if it's legit! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Dermo73

Quite attractive girl messaged me today, chatting away and after just 3-4 messages back and forth she says "Cool that you like dating, I do too. Sure you never know who you meet. So let's do it, excited now lol!"

Had to explain to her than I prefer to chat just a little longer before meeting someone... I know it's ridiculous but I can't help but wonder if it's legit! :)

It's quick but I don't see any reason why it might not be legit. There could be a few reasons for the speed.
    1) You made a great first impression :D
    2) She dislikes endless mails and wants to meet quickly to find out if there's real attraction
    3) She likes dating and you'll do for this one.

Whatever her reasons I think your should take it at face value, approach it in a positive manner and just see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Dermo73 wrote: »
    It's quick but I don't see any reason why it might not be legit. There could be a few reasons for the speed.
    1) You made a great first impression :D
    2) She dislikes endless mails and wants to meet quickly to find out if there's real attraction
    3) She likes dating and you'll do for this one.

Whatever her reasons I think your should take it at face value, approach it in a positive manner and just see how it goes.

Yeah. I've come round to the way of thinking that it's better to jump into these things early rather than spend a few weeks exchanging messages and texts. Just go for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Well once no one has asked for credit card details you should be ok ..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

msg11 wrote: »
    Well once no one has asked for credit card details you should be ok ..

You're assuming I don't charge for dates :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

You're assuming I don't charge for dates :P

Cash in hand my friend, Revenue are sniffing out the undeclared income from that service..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

What's the deal with the Favourites List? I'd say about 90% of the girls that added me on that have never messaged me. It doesn't make sense.. unless they're waiting for me to make the move. (note that some of these girls have no photos on their profile :confused:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement