Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread 3..**READ 1ST POST Oct 2012**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

To be fair they could ONLY have gotten better :p Mine was REALLY different from what turned to be her 5 year old photos and when I mentioned I'd had a long day at work to pre-empt her buying another round she slapped me in the face with both hands and said "That'll wake you up!!" :pac: my skirt thankfully went unlifted...

Yikes :)

They say men are awful moaners about their ex's ... but one lady I met, from Galway, spent an hour whinging on and on and on about her divorce and her ex and her solicitor and her barrister .... oye oye oye :confused:

I don't let these kinds of things bother me though. Afterward I just try to find the absurdity in people like this, and laugh it off and move on :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭smallgarden

Honestly.....You'd get it ;);)

Lovely message on pof! Pure class!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭MarkyTheLips

Varied wrote: »
    It was going grand, she just turned into a complete nutter after a few drinks.

It's a numbers game remember that :) Give you a chance to work on your witty parting lines!

Larianne wrote: »
    I think a lot of ladies on those sites are not in the right frame of mind to date. Your experience isn't the first experience where the girl has had one to many drinks and went a bit loopy. Not all ladies are like that though. Not sure how you'd weed them out though?

But with respect you have to manage your expectations. This is real life and people are people. It is inevitable that some will be this and some will be that. We can't control life to the extent that the only people we meet are wonderful and marvellous :)

The thing, as I say, is to manage your expectations and accept in advance that it is an adventure, like any other. If you were going to clubs and pubs etc every weekend would you meet all kinds ? of course you would.

The advantage to online dating, imho, is being able to meet a number of eligible women/men in a nice environment in a shorter amount of time and with a lot less effort than having to traipse around those clubs and pubs every weekend.

If you look at it that way then the whole thing is alot more enjoyable imho :D

Actually there was another disaster now I think of it... A girl got the train to meet me in Dublin, when I met her at the station she was so hammered she fell over. She'd necked a bottle of wine "for her nerves" :rolleyes: I don't like the way this thread is bringing bad memories to the surface :eek:

• Advertisement

Honestly.....You'd get it ;);)

Lovely message on pof! Pure class!

Can you send it again I deleted it without reading it :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

She had a few drinks then it went messy, typical "men are evil" ****e.
    Bullet. Dodged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Varied

No worries. Bullet dodged, never again

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭supermommy

Had my first online 'date' last night. Awkward doesn't even begin to describe it.
    I wish people wouldn't use old pics of themselves. It's not fair!
    We had all the chemistry in the world until we met, then we had none.
    Ah well, it's all part of the online dating game isn't it?
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

Has anyone ever used Parship.ie? I read it's aimed at 30-55s but going by the promo photos on the it's more a 55s age group! I'm early 30 so I think it might not be suitable for me.

• Advertisement

mood wrote: »
    Has anyone ever used Parship.ie? I read it's aimed at 30-55s but going by the promo photos on the it's more a 55s age group! I'm early 30 so I think it might not be suitable for me.

Haven't tried it, but their ad men probably want to play on the younger person's fear of being alone when they get to that age.. Like when you see that old couple in Stephen's Green feeding the ducks together you think "hope for us all" ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

dub5 wrote: »
    Its the usual story.....all keen at the start, daily long messages and then after roughly 6 weeks (for me anyway), the messages get a bit dull and short etc.

To be honest if I had been messaging a girl for 6 weeks and hadn't gotten around to organising a date my messages would start to fall flat. I can only imagine the lack of movement would be frustrating.
    It was going grand, she just turned into a complete nutter after a few drinks.

Nothing worse than meeting a seemingly nice person only for all kinds of crazy to come flooding out after a drink or two. It's actually quite lucky that you went for a few drinks first and were able to nip it in the bud. It would have been a lot worse had you been seeing her for a month, started liking her and THEN the crazy came out!
    Larianne wrote: »
    Not sure how you'd weed them out though?

Trial and error?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

A lot of the women mention in their profiles that they're sick of the pub/club scene and been approached by drunken, slobering butt cheek grabbers, yet are very hesitant on meeting people online. And they don't like been approached in Tesco's either. They're not leaving themselves with many options then.

Just saw a profile on OKC. The girl's only photo is of her in sexy underwear and her profile boldly declares, "no creeps". Just what are these people smoking? :confused:

edit: another one from OKC "No small penises (seriously)". When did the site suddenly get so low brow?

I cannot stand sites that push this whole 'find a wife/husband' thing, or people who push in their profile how much they are looking for the 'love of their life' for marriage etc.

In my experience of life you never find the big one when you are pressure-seeking. You relax and just meet people and start relationships and see where they are going.

Galvasean wrote: »
    Just saw a profile on OKC. The girl's only photo is of her in sexy underwear and her profile boldly declares, "no creeps". Just what are these people smoking? :confused:

edit: another one from OKC "No small penises (seriously)". When did the site suddenly get so low brow?

Haha, yes they're the attention seekers. She's half naked in her photos and she's like, "Show me some respect" lol. I saw one girls profile where she had a few pics clearly showing her cleavage. Then she says in her profile, "Stop telling me I have great tities." All you can do is laugh at that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Galvasean wrote: »

I've seen this one on pof, she's from sligo. Her first line was copied from another girls profile and I asked her did she steal it from someone else and called me a sap :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Karsini wrote: »
    Thanks. While I don't really have my eye on anyone in particular at the moment I'm still getting the hang of what to do and what not.

The only woman I've been in touch with fairly regularly has in her profile that she's seeing someone. She contacted me first though.

WHAT......She is seeing someone....so what is she on POF for?:confused:

It's a blocking method some girls stick it up to avoid getting hounded!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭smallgarden

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    And they don't like been approached in Tesco's either. T

fair play to you approaching someone in tesco.i know if someone approached me in tesco id probably panic and automatically turn them down but a few minutes later might regret it.its just that fight or flight on the spot lack of thinking, nothing to do with the guy at all

on subject of profile pics i hate to see pictures of a car and scary pose like a criminal or those closeup on phone where noone can look good in. best advice i can give is to make sure you have picture of what you actually look like and have picture of you smiling

fair play to you approaching someone in tesco.i know if someone approached me in tesco id probably panic and automatically turn them down but a few minutes later might regret it.its just that fight or flight on the spot lack of thinking, nothing to do with the guy at all

Well the one in Tesco's didn't go so well. She just looked at me as if I was a dog with 10 willies. :pac: Although I did approach a girl in lidl who I ended up in a relationship with. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭dub5

Davey....do you have an update on the experiment

Davey....do you have an update on the experiment

Yes I have her locked up in the atti...Ohh wait...the other experiment. Ahem. 3 reply's out of 20. How did you go?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Varied

Fair play on approaching in tesco Davey, I reckon the culture over here isn't ready for the public place approach, sure how else do these online sites make any money?

Yes I have her locked up in the atti...Ohh wait...the other experiment. Ahem. 3 reply's out of 20. How did you go?

Snap......3 replies out of the 20

So, any updates from our pioneering '20 messages' pair?

edit: didn't refresh page. Never mind

Snap......3 replies out of the 20

No way...seriously? Well how about that. ;)

No way...seriously? Well how about that. ;)

Yes.......so do you have an apology for me?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

Yes.......so do you have an apology for me?

No more 'internet dating is great for women'!

mood wrote: »
    No more 'internet dating is great for women'!

EXACTLY.....I rest my case:)

• Advertisement

EXACTLY.....I rest my case:)

Well maybe your profile sucks or your messages were not so good. Or maybe I'm not as picky. Who know's. There's too many variables.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement