Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread 3..**READ 1ST POST Oct 2012**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

What's that got to do with OD?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Galvasean wrote: »
    What's that got to do with OD?

We met online! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

Dovies wrote: »

I had tickets for a show so I text to see if he still wanted to come with me and he said he would love to! Didnt expect him to say yes but there ya go. So see how it goes!

Good luck with it.

Dovies wrote: »
    We met online!

Ah, that 'splians it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Date tonight :)
    As a non-drinker I'm terrible at knowing nice pubs, but I suggested one that I went to with a friend of mine a few years back, lovely cosy wee place... just hoping it's the same for tonight as I've not been since! Hopefully it'll be a nice change from the usual coffee date!

• Advertisement

As a non-drinker I'm terrible at knowing nice pubs, but I suggested one that I went to with a friend of mine a few years back, lovely cosy wee place... just hoping it's the same for tonight as I've not been since! Hopefully it'll be a nice change from the usual coffee date!

Let us know the name of it if it's any use (after the date of course, so we all don't stalk ya).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

I'm sure she won't be averse to moving if it does happen to have devolved into a kip since you were last there...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Honey-ec wrote: »
    I'm sure she won't be averse to moving if it does happen to have devolved into a kip since you were last there...

Well Fibber McGees was a lovely, warm, clean and fresh spot when I was there last....... :P
    If it's a good 'un, I'll let you guys know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

Seems like lots of dates happening, very encouraging! My online dating has been completely in the doldrums but I got a few decent messages on Sunday for a change, which was nice. One guy is 7 years younger, which doesn't sound like a huge gap but I do think it can be, when you're in your late thirties and the other person is back in college. Still, he seems nice and interesting so I'm keeping an open mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

i had a date on Saturday afternoon....

Nothing, not even a HINT of attraction between us.

Have been getting mails from women 5 and 6 years older than me too, which is weird. I've never been in the "write back and say not interested or ignore" place before....normally i was the one getting ignored!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

hollypink wrote: »
    Seems like lots of dates happening, very encouraging! My online dating has been completely in the doldrums but I got a few decent messages on Sunday for a change, which was nice. One guy is 7 years younger, which doesn't sound like a huge gap but I do think it can be, when you're in your late thirties and the other person is back in college. Still, he seems nice and interesting so I'm keeping an open mind.

Ah don't worry about the age thing its only a number , If he is nice do keep an open mind because my mother is marrying her partner on monday and he is 19 years older then her . So to me its all about compatability and all I can is fair play to him for going back to college because it can't be easy to do that in your very late 20's or early 30's . It does show a degree of maturity and wanting more out of life . :)

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭LittleFox

First date tomorrow we've been chatting on and off since I rejoined in June, so hopefully all goes well :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Is there a full moon or something? Everyone's on dates! This is great. :) Can't wait to read the updates. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

LittleFox wrote: »
    First date tomorrow we've been chatting on and off since I rejoined in June, so hopefully all goes well :)

Since June??? Jaysis, the pressure on both of you... I certainly wouldn't want to have 6 months of expectations built up before meeting someone for the first time.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

LyndaMcL wrote: »
    Is there a full moon or something? Everyone's on dates! This is great. :) Can't wait to read the updates. :p

The full moon would put me off tbh, have been having a whopper of a (bad) week and it's only Tuesday! I have some time off next week though so I might invest some time in looking at/updating/deleting my profile depending how I feel :)

A clean start might not be a bad idea actually - what would be thoughts on a clean start with a brand new profile & username versus dusting down and sprucing up the old one?

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭LittleFox

Honey-ec wrote: »

Since June??? Jaysis, the pressure on both of you... I certainly wouldn't want to have 6 months of expectations built up before meeting someone for the first time.
    Ha yep since june on and off , the timing just wasn't right before for either of us , so we thought now we would give it a go :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭smallgarden

miamee wrote: »
    The full moon would put me off tbh, have been having a whopper of a (bad) week and it's only Tuesday! I have some time off next week though so I might invest some time in looking at/updating/deleting my profile depending how I feel :)

A clean start might not be a bad idea actually - what would be thoughts on a clean start with a brand new profile & username versus dusting down and sprucing up the old one?

im thinking of doing the exact same thing miamee.i think its a good idea,start afresh!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

Can I ask what sites everyone uses on here? Is it mainly POF and OKCupid? Or are there some fee paying ones ye use too?

Congrats on all the dates btw!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I'd have to agree. I virtually never mail profiles without a pic because it always leads to the inevitable and awkward, "So... got a picture?". It's very very awkward when they send you one after asking and you don't find them attractive.

Well doctorwhogirl need not worry about that, as she's a very pretty lady!

Date Friday for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭DerekDGoldfish

Women are like buses.... If you’re not careful they will run you over)
    Already got a date arranged for this weekend and have now been asked out by another girl both seem cute and interesting must try not to mix their names up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Larianne wrote: »

Date Friday for me.

With doctorwhogirl??? :D

With doctorwhogirl??? :D

Unfortunately not, no.. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

Women are like buses.... If you’re not careful they will run you over.

Someone else said they're like condoms... they spend too much time in your wallet and not enough time on your c**k :eek: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

Larianne wrote: »

Date Friday for me.

:o:o:o:o Bless your shoddy eyesight! ;)

But congrats on the date! :D

Caved and deleted my POF account. I'm thinking now maybe I should try a paid one.

Fickle is becoming my middle name when it comes to this matter. I think it's because I'm in a town and I'm conscious of being recognised and recognising lads from around the place and also that if I lived in Dublin, it might be a whole lot simpler because of the higher population and anonymity!

:o:o:o:o Bless your shoddy eyesight! ;)

But congrats on the date! :D

Caved and deleted my POF account. I'm thinking now maybe I should try a paid one.

Fickle is becoming my middle name when it comes to this matter. I think it's because I'm in a town and I'm conscious of being recognised and recognising lads from around the place and also that if I lived in Dublin, it might be a whole lot simpler because of the higher population and anonymity!

Don't worry about being spotted on dating sites, really. I thought I'd be absolutely horrified if I was found on any, but then about 20 boardsies and most of my closest friends found me on POF. Before they got a chance to be a smart @rse about it, I asked them what THEY were doing on the site and they shut up pretty fast. :) Don't be worrying, just enjoy yourself and have some fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

Don't worry about being spotted on dating sites, really. I thought I'd be absolutely horrified if I was found on any, but then about 20 boardsies and most of my closest friends found me on POF. Before they got a chance to be a smart @rse about it, I asked them what THEY were doing on the site and they shut up pretty fast. :) Don't be worrying, just enjoy yourself and have some fun.

I actually hide my profile so it wont show up in searches. It's not like I was getting many messages from women who initiated first contact anyway, so it doesn't really make any difference. I'd still be doing the chasing either way.

I'm actually surprised more women don't do that. That way they could just contact people they like the look of, rather than having to sift through lots of undesirables. They'd have no excuses then for having to put up with the creepers.

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    I'm actually surprised more women don't do that. That way they could just contact people they like the look of, rather than having to sift through lots of undesirables. They'd have no excuses then for having to put up with the creepers.

Yep, I'd advise doctorwhogirl to do this in case she's afraid of someone recognising her.

I was at two gigs last week. A guy I went on a few dates with stood right in front of me (luckily he didn't see me) at one and a guy who looked familiar stood beside me at the other. Copped, that I recognised his face from POF! :P:o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

Can you block someone on PoF? I keep getting messages of this one man. I did reply once and tell him I'm not interested (probably a mistake, I know) but he still messages me every few days. I can see a report user button but there is nothing to block him. Thanks

Is there a full moon or something? Everyone's on dates!

Not everyone :o
    Think I need to just bulk delete all the text in my profile and start from scratch as something in there must be putting people off, but damned if I can tell what it is.
    After checking the 'sent' folder, it appears I've mailed 20 people over the last two weeks and not one responded. Would be easier to brush off if I was spamming people with "how r u"s, but I'm actually trying dagnamnit! :pac:

• Advertisement

Not everyone :o
    Think I need to just bulk delete all the text in my profile and start from scratch as something in there must be putting people off, but damned if I can tell what it is.
    After checking the 'sent' folder, it appears I've mailed 20 people over the last two weeks and not one responded. Would be easier to brush off if I was spamming people with "how r u"s, but I'm actually trying dagnamnit! :pac:

Last time I saw your profile was a good six months or so ago if I remember correctly, but there wasn't anything off-putting in it then. That said, if the tumbleweeds are rolling around your profile, you've got nothing to lose by re-writing it. Might generate some new interest. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement