Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread 3..**READ 1ST POST Oct 2012**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Can you block someone on PoF? I keep getting messages of this one man. I did reply once and tell him I'm not interested (probably a mistake, I know) but he still messages me every few days. I can see a report user button but there is nothing to block him. Thanks

Yep. If you go into your inbox and into his message, at the right hand side beside the reply box is 'Block User'. Click that.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

LyndaMcL wrote: »
    Last time I saw your profile was a good six months or so ago if I remember correctly, but there wasn't anything off-putting in it then. That said, if the tumbleweeds are rolling around your profile, you've got nothing to lose by re-writing it. Might generate some new interest. :)

I've been tweaking it little bit by little bit for ages now. I'm guessing the various tweaks may have left it looking disjointed - the profile designed by commity or something. Next time I have a free evening I'm gonna start anew. See what comes out without the constraints of a pre-made template!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Galvasean wrote: »

I've been tweaking it little bit by little bit for ages now. I'm guessing the various tweaks may have left it looking disjointed - the profile designed by commity or something. Next time I have a free evening I'm gonna start anew. See what comes out without the constraints of a pre-made template!

I just copied and pasted my profile direct from POF.

Seems to be ok, anyone I've asked to have a look at it says its good.

And I've been getting a couple of mails & replies.

I just copied and pasted my profile direct from POF.

I copied my OKC one onto POF (as I like the way the OKC one is structured).
    anyone I've asked to have a look at it says its good.

Ditto. Although, I don't really take much stock in the feedback I get from friends/associates anymore as it all seems very 'Yes manish' to me, in that I don't think anyone has ever been brutally honest enough to offer seriously constructive feedback. Even when you could get feedback from the fols on here, I think everyone was being too nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

Larianne wrote: »
    Yep. If you go into your inbox and into his message, at the right hand side beside the reply box is 'Block User'. Click that.

Cheers :)

• Advertisement

I copied my OKC one onto POF (as I like the way the OKC one is structured).

Ditto. Although, I don't really take much stock in the feedback I get from friends/associates anymore as it all seems very 'Yes manish' to me, in that I don't think anyone has ever been brutally honest enough to offer seriously constructive feedback. Even when you could get feedback from the fols on here, I think everyone was being too nice.

Sorry, meant to say copied from OKC TO POF.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

I don't think everyone here is overly nice when checking out profiles. I've told a few people to basically re-do their whole profile and change their profile picture, that was pretty harsh of me. Seemed to work though.

I think that maybe, although we might not intend to be nice when judging each others' profiles, because we all chat away in here, we're automatically going to see as much good in a profile from one of the boardsies as possible, because we have a feeling of knowing them.

I think that maybe, although we might not intend to be nice when judging each others' profiles, because we all chat away in here, we're automatically going to see as much good in a profile from one of the boardsies as possible, because we have a feeling of knowing them.

That's what I was trying to get at (albeit without articulating it properly).
    Viewing me with rose-tinted spectacles so ye are :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

Wow, the cream of the crop are out in full force tonight! Really intelligent, handsome fellows- it's like manna from heaven :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

Siuin wrote: »
    Wow, the cream of the crop are out in full force tonight! Really intelligent, handsome fellows- it's like manna from heaven :P

Its the full moon I tells ya! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭ladylost

Is there a full moon or something? Everyone's on dates! This is great. :) Can't wait to read the updates. :p
    Maybe we should have one more often :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Mince Pie wrote: »

Its the full moon I tells ya! :D
    Maybe it's the cold nights too :P :D

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭ladylost

Not everyone :o
    Think I need to just bulk delete all the text in my profile and start from scratch as something in there must be putting people off, but damned if I can tell what it is.
    After checking the 'sent' folder, it appears I've mailed 20 people over the last two weeks and not one responded. Would be easier to brush off if I was spamming people with "how r u"s, but I'm actually trying dagnamnit! :pac:

Have ye seen the Contacted tab that appeared earlier this week on POF. Shows all the people who's contacted you or you have contacted. Made for grim reading for me. A long list and still on it!!! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭openup

I've just started online dating and I'm finding it really difficult to write 1st messages. I don't want to just sit around waiting for mails to come in (especially since not many do!) but I just feel so weird and awkward about it. Any tips?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

openup wrote: »
    I've just started online dating and I'm finding it really difficult to write 1st messages. I don't want to just sit around waiting for mails to come in (especially since not many do!) but I just feel so weird and awkward about it. Any tips?

Well for me, I just say hi, I liked the profile, thought I'd pop along a message. Maybe give your first name, and then ask them about something on their profile that caught your eye.

ladylost wrote: »
    Have ye seen the Contacted tab that appeared earlier this week on POF. Shows all the people who's contacted you or you have contacted. Made for grim reading for me. A long list and still on it!!! :o

Oh my, I'm not sure I if should look at that. In a way I'm quite glad my 'sent' folder starts deleting after 20 messages. Knowing me, I'd probably attempt to count everyone I mailed this year. Heaven's forbid, it's probably in triple digits! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Can you block someone on PoF? I keep getting messages of this one man. I did reply once and tell him I'm not interested (probably a mistake, I know) but he still messages me every few days. I can see a report user button but there is nothing to block him. Thanks
    Ya you can but think one and or both of you have to have made contact and a message sent so the fact he sent you messages you can block him straight away.

There is a block user function, you either can do so with the messages or option on his profile. Find it best not to answer if not interested other wise might be seen as hard to get but it be rude not to let them know but he obviously hasn't got the message or read it properly just cause you messaged him once!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Well last night's date went extremely well. I think!

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Well last night's date went extremely well. I think!

Was that D2 with the guy that inspired the jazz hands and smile from last weeks phone call? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Was that D2 with the guy that inspired the jazz hands and smile from last weeks phone call? ;)

Nope, first date with a different guy :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭missrandomer

I got cancelled on last minute last night:confused:
    im not a happy girl! Chatting for ages, even bumped into each other on a night out a couple of times so he knows what im like in real life (or maby thats the problem lol)
    Didnt think he was a messer though!

Im venting here cause i have no one to tell :(

I got cancelled on last minute last night:confused:
    im not a happy girl! Chatting for ages, even bumped into each other on a night out a couple of times so he knows what im like in real life (or maby thats the problem lol)
    Didnt think he was a messer though!

Im venting here cause i have no one to tell :(

Vent away!!

i know that when i've been kicked to the kerb that i've come on here and let off some steam. It makes it easier than telling 3d world friends that someone you were seeing or supposed to be seeing from the world of OD has said naaaaah.

Especially when my 3d world friends don't know i do OD!! :)

Did he cancel with a view to rescheduling or cancel totally?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

openup wrote: »

Practice. I used to find them annoying but once you get in the swing of it you start writing better ones and much more quickly.

I find it a lot easier to write for OKCupid people because there's more information on the profiles. Some people have a thousand words on there so it's usually easy enough to pick on a detail or two and start blabbing away.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭LittleFox

So tonight's date has been cancelled its been rescheduled hopefully for Friday all depending on whether hes over this dose he's picked up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

Ok, so that was sha-mazing. She is brilliant. That is all.

:D
    Yes, second date. I liked her the first time we met, and she seemed to like me. Last night confirmed it. I've been living in apathy-ville with regards meeting someone for a while now and she has come out of no-where. She is brilliant. Whatever happens, however things pan out, I'm delighted I met her. She has rekindled a bit of belief in myself.

:D

I think it is fair to say we have sailed right past date 3, 4, 5 and 6 at this stage. It's turning out each day that we have a lot in common and are very similar. I like her. A lot. :)

So nice to hear all the positive dates at the moment.

Shoot me if this is not allowed but what's the craic with the meet ups for this thread for drinks? Think there was one a wee while ago but not sure how many pages back? Or did I imagine it?

So nice to hear all the positive dates at the moment.

Shoot me if this is not allowed but what's the craic with the meet ups for this thread for drinks? Think there was one a wee while ago but not sure how many pages back? Or did I imagine it?

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Sparky85

Hi ! Can anyone tell me how to add pics I've got hidden on my pof profile to a message and send it into someone I've been chatting with ? I've a couple on public view but a couple more hidden and this guy has asked if I've more and I don't know how to send them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

So my date tonight was cancelled :-(
    But we have rescheduled for later in the week :-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I think I have set a new record in the last week or two for the amount of mails sent out on POF and the lack of replies. I think I've sent somewhere between 30 and 40 mails and had 3 replies, all of which fizzled out into nothing after 2 or 3 mails. Although strangely I'm getting some sort of perverse enjoyment out of it all :)

And no, they're not copy and paste mails. They're customised for each girl and not sleazy or anything.

So I guess it must be my pics and profile then! :(:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement