Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread 3..**READ 1ST POST Oct 2012**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

So, got the hur did. Guess I better hide my OKC pics til I get a few decent ones of the new 'do...

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭LittleFox

Honey-ec wrote: »
    So, got the hur did. Guess I better hide my OKC pics til I get a few decent ones of the new 'do...
    New 'do is gorgeous :)

LittleFox wrote: »
    New 'do is gorgeous :)

Ta, I'm not sure about it at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

G-Money wrote: »
    I think I have set a new record in the last week or two for the amount of mails sent out on POF and the lack of replies. I think I've sent somewhere between 30 and 40 mails and had 3 replies, all of which fizzled out into nothing after 2 or 3 mails. Although strangely I'm getting some sort of perverse enjoyment out of it all :)

It's weird isn't it? I feel it too. It's like I want a record... any record!

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭riveratom

I'm BACK, baby!!

Yes well I am back on the OD horse, last girl hasn't worked out. We did have some fun while it lasted though....so all good :)

She also has a kid, and I was maybe starting to think that it just wasn't going to go very far perhaps...

Enjoying the online browsing I have to say, and just generally taking it all nice n' casual!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Mince Pie wrote: »
    Its the full moon I tells ya! :D
    miamee wrote: »
    Maybe it's the cold nights too :P :D

Must be a mix of the two!! Plus, Christmas is coming up?!?

I had a guy I went on two dates with (albeit not from OD) text me today nearly two years since we met. da fuq!

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭LittleFox

Larianne wrote: »

Must be a mix of the two!! Plus, Christmas is coming up?!?

I had a guy I went on two dates with (albeit not from OD) text me today nearly two years since we met. da fuq!
    Same, in the last week I've had 5 guys mail again this week some I had met and some I'd exchanged a few mails with before months ago, so odd

It's the pre-Christmas desperation. People don't want to be single at Christmas because nothing is more annoying than relatives reminding you how single you are at Xmas dinner.
    Personally, I see an upside to it as I plan to dart around my local on Christmas Eve, doing my best Bateman impression...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

They've made a list and they're checking it twice ;) :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

miamee wrote: »
    They've made a list and they're checking it twice ;) :P

What? to find out who they have rejected and if they're worth a second chance??

better make sure i leave my phone on 24/7 so!!! :D:D:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

Vent away!!

i know that when i've been kicked to the kerb that i've come on here and let off some steam. It makes it easier than telling 3d world friends that someone you were seeing or supposed to be seeing from the world of OD has said naaaaah.

Especially when my 3d world friends don't know i do OD!! :)

Did he cancel with a view to rescheduling or cancel totally?

Why do online dating, if your too embarrassed to tell your friends.
    Its not a tabboo anymore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

Galvasean wrote: »
    It's the pre-Christmas desperation. People don't want to be single at Christmas because nothing is more annoying than relatives reminding you how single you are at Xmas dinner.
    I'm not looking to snap anyone up before xmas :P Last thing I need is the dilemma of 'should I get him a present...? But what's appropriate at this stage... omg what does he even like?!"

Siuin wrote: »
    I'm not looking to snap anyone up before xmas :P Last thing I need is the dilemma of 'should I get him a present...? But what's appropriate at this stage... omg what does he even like?!"

That's why you have to get them before December. After the 1st its too close to Xmas! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

My POF block list has seen some serious action lately...!
    One guy actually tried to offer me money for sex because he assumed I was Eastern European... wtf?!

Personally, I see an upside to it as I plan to dart around my local on Christmas Eve, doing my best Bateman impression...

LittleFox asked me today what this has to do with Batman :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

I think I have set a new record in the last week or two for the amount of mails sent out on POF and the lack of replies. I think I've sent somewhere between 30 and 40 mails and had 3 replies!

Ahh that's nothing. I've often sent that many in a day. Eventually it gets to the stage where you've messaged every woman in Ireland. After that there's not much else you can do. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Snoopy1 wrote: »
    Why do online dating, if your too embarrassed to tell your friends.
    Its not a tabboo anymore

Because it's another way of meeting people??

Some people do think it's weird. And I think guys are more afraid of getting a mocking from their mates. I've definitely overheard the "they met on the INTERNET!" with great emphasis on internet.

It shouldn't be that way, but it is.

I think it's only as taboo as you let it be. If people know you're the type to get embarassed by it they'll try to embarass you about it - it's schoolyard stuff really. Myself and a few people I know from IRL who use OD are quite open about it and get no flak whatsoever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

I don't think there's as much of a stigma associated with online dating nowadays. 5 years ago there would have been sure, but with the explosion of social networking over the last few years, as well as the recession, there has been a huge increase in people using dating sites.

My friends know I met a couple of girls online and I never get mocked over it. They know how difficult is is to meet people on a night out, so they're in no position to judge.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭ladylost

Coffee date tonight cancelled late this evening!! :confused:
    Gave a reason but not sure I believe it to be honest.

Regarding the stigma and OD, I have told very few I'm doing it and didn't tell the truth about where I met the guys I went out with from OD when friends asked. I find people think you're some kind of sad person and misfit if you have to "resort" to that as they put it. I know the issue is theirs not mine but I get enough sympathetic looks and hand squeezing for still being single! Couldn't be bothered explaining myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 Dermo73

I think it's only as taboo as you let it be. If people know you're the type to get embarassed by it they'll try to embarass you about it - it's schoolyard stuff really. Myself and a few people I know from IRL who use OD are quite open about it and get no flak whatsoever.

+1 on this. I'm upfront about it with mates and because I don't act embarrassed they don't see it that way either. If your own attitude is positive others will see that and react positively

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

I think I have set a new record in the last week or two for the amount of mails sent out on POF and the lack of replies. I think I've sent somewhere between 30 and 40 mails and had 3 replies, all of which fizzled out into nothing after 2 or 3 mails. Although strangely I'm getting some sort of perverse enjoyment out of it all :)

And no, they're not copy and paste mails. They're customised for each girl and not sleazy or anything.

So I guess it must be my pics and profile then! :(:D

This is more common than you might realise. I'm in exactly the same place myself. As is Galvasean, it seems.

I'm sure some men just give up and decide to bomb out 300 'Hi, how r u?' messages instead. The sad thing is you'd probably get at least a similar response rate.

Deafening silence on OKC since I changed my pic to the dark hair. Ah well!

I definitely think people will only slag you about meeting people online if you let them. If they do the whole "Oh you met on the INTERNET!" thing and all they get in response is "Yeah, and?" they'll forget about it soon enough.

I genuinely don't think there's any taboo around it anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭blacklilly

I don't think there's much taboo about OD anymore, plenty of my friends have used it and are using it. It's just another way of trying to meet a potential someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

So, who has a date planned for this weekend?

According to the boards match maker myself and Lynda should be getting it on! Although I don't think either of us are ready to take the plunge that way... yet.... ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

I forgot how stupidly addictive this is. Thanks christ I'm sick, so I have an excuse to sit on the internet all day.

Serious creepin' going on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

I'm debating whether or not to ask a boardsie on a date after talking every single day, non-stop for about 2 months. No, he's not a reg on this thread, before anyone asks. :pac: Bit scared though!! I've never asked anyone out before!

LyndaMcL wrote: »
    I'm debating whether or not to ask a boardsie on a date after talking every single day, non-stop for about 2 months. No, he's not a reg on this thread, before anyone asks. :pac: Bit scared though!! I've never asked anyone out before!

So its not me then? Devastated! :D
    Go for it girlfriend. Worst thing to happen they say no. Are you sure they are single though??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Mince Pie wrote: »
    So its not me then? Devastated! :D
    Go for it girlfriend. Worst thing to happen they say no. Are you sure they are single though??

Oh yeah, he's definitely single. He recognised me on a dating site (before I deleted all my accounts!) from a picture of a tattoo I posted on boards. :pac: He's sweet, interesting, really funny and flirts with me a lot.

He did also ask about taking me on a date back when we first spoke, but I kind of brushed it off because I had decided I was done with OD.

God, this is scary and confusing. :pac:

• Advertisement

LyndaMcL wrote: »
    Oh yeah, he's definitely single. He recognised me on a dating site (before I deleted all my accounts!) from a picture of a tattoo I posted on boards. :pac: He's sweet, interesting, really funny and flirts with me a lot.

He did also ask about taking me on a date back when we first spoke, but I kind of brushed it off because I had decided I was done with OD.

God, this is scary and confusing. :pac:

Ah for jaysus sakes woman! Ask him out. But please PM me who it is. :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement