Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread 3..**READ 1ST POST Oct 2012**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Galvasean wrote: »
    Tension? Boy likes girl. Girl likes boy.
    The only outcome is: nyomnyomnyomnyomnyom!!!!!!

You should make a short film with those sound-effects! :eek:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Tension? Boy likes girl. Girl likes boy.
    The only outcome is: nyomnyomnyomnyomnyom!!!!!!
    Of COURSE there will be tension!!
    Will I kiss her as soon as I see her?
    Will I wait for an appropriate romantic moment?
    Will she kiss me?
    Not to mention all the 'accidental' touching, sitting close together...I'm so jealous :D

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

At the risk of sounding like an aul biddy at a sewing circle, it's all very exciting isn't it! :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Question for you all: when do you most have chats with people on OD? Mostly weekdays, weekday evenings or weekends?

I was thinking of deleting all my profiles for now but I have some time off this week and might be able to put some more effort in before giving up altogether. I know the last time I was able to be online for a stretch of time on a weekday I actually got chatting to a few guys. Anyway, I am dithering between delete now or delete later!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

miamee wrote: »
    Question for you all: when do you most have chats with people on OD? Mostly weekdays, weekday evenings or weekends?

I was thinking of deleting all my profiles for now but I have some time off this week and might be able to put some more effort in before giving up altogether. I know the last time I was able to be online for a stretch of time on a weekday I actually got chatting to a few guys. Anyway, I am dithering between delete now or delete later!!

I find weekdays and evenings, as I'm usually busy at weekends... Its a nice distraction during the week though, so lends itself to getting more replies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

Will she kiss me?
    Not to mention all the 'accidental' touching, sitting close together...I'm so jealous :D

Anyone remember this scene in 'Annie Hall'? You know it makes sense, Jimmy!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Will she kiss me?

Oh and I'll definitely be waiting for the right moment. I'm a great believer in not kissing for the sake of it, much nicer to wait til it feels right :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Santi101

Have to get that kiss in mate! Show her you dont just want to be friends!

Went out with a OD girl last week....bit nervy at the start but getting on well, few drinks and we were getting quite hands-on! Ended up eating the face off each other for about half an hour at the end of the date! Crazy!

I honestly couldnt see that coming 3 hrs earlier!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

True, and although I realize men are usually spared pics of some random freak's todger, when you receive a lot more mail at least you have a few options, no?

I'm sure most girls' in boxes do have chatty, lucid messages from decent guys amongst the banal 'Hi, how r u?' or general unwanted sex-pesting.

However, nae messages = nae options! :(

No. Most would be from unsuitable men ie too far away or too old/young or who don't want the same things or not attractive IMO or very poor profile or sex-pests or any combination of the above.

mood wrote: »
    No. Most would be from unsuitable men ie too far away or too old/young or who don't want the same things or not attractive IMO or very poor profile or sex-pests or any combination of the above.

I'm not trying to argue here but surely out of all that, there must be someone, occasionally, who is worth a shot? Someone local who seems like a reasonable fit for a date?

• Advertisement

I'm not trying to argue here but surely out of all that, there must be someone, occasionally, who is worth a shot? Someone local who seems like a reasonable fit for a date?

Yes, but very few. Women really don't have it as easy as you think.

Very few messages > No good messages?

Very few messages > No good messages?

No. I mean very few messages form men who I feel would be suitable for me. Then you also have to take into account that after a few messages back and forth you/he might stop contact for any number of reasons. And some men cancel date and never try to rearrange them etc.

Yes, but very few. Women really don't have it as easy as you think.

Fair enough. Very few is still better than nothing though.

I don't think OD is easy for anyone by the way.

No. I mean very few messages form men who I feel would be suitable for me. Then you also have to take into account that after a few messages back and forth you/he might stop contact for any number of reasons. And some men cancel date and never try to rearrange them etc.

What I was trying to say is that getting very few messages from people that would be suitable would be a marked improvement for many.
    Let's say there's someone who get's 100 unsolicited mails in a mont, but only 5% are good messages from suitable people, that' still a fair bit more than the person who gets one or two unsolicited mails per month (which may or may not have the same % of suitability etc.).

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

With online dating becoming more norm/more publicised, you also have guys trolling women on these sites (possibly guys too.. as in guys pretending to be girls). I got a heads up on one fellow last night and I've heard it before from two guys I'm friendly with that guys go on the site to just wind up women. So while technically women get a lot more messages, they aren't all of substance or genuine.

Larianne wrote: »
    With online dating becoming more norm/more publicised, you also have guys trolling women on these sites (possibly guys too.. as in guys pretending to be girls). I got a heads up on one fellow last night and I've heard it before from two guys I'm friendly with that guys go on the site to just wind up women. So while technically women get a lot more messages, they aren't all of substance or genuine.

No wonder it's next to impossible to get replies these days.

I'm sorry Lari but these people are fcking morons who need to get a life and grow up. It might be them looking for real one day.

With online dating becoming more norm/more publicised, you also have guys trolling women on these sites (possibly guys too.. as in guys pretending to be girls).

Re: the part in brackets, some of those are quite easy to spot. They usually are looking for intimate encounters and will use the word 'cock' in their profile. That said, there could be more subtle ones too...
    There are also those profiles that I believe are there to fuel vanity in a kind of "I bet I can get more messages than you!" kind of way with no intention of dating at all. Lot of time wasters representing both sexes out there unfortunately.

No wonder it's next to impossible to get replies these days.

I'm sorry Lari but these people are fcking morons who need to get a life and grow up. It might be them looking for real one day.

What are you being sorry for? These guys are not my friends!! I 100% agree. Utter morons and for the life of me, I can't imagine how they get a kick out of it. Quite sad. It did make me question the guys (who I do know) who are acquainted with them.

What are you being sorry for? These guys are not my friends!! I 100% agree. Utter morons and for the life of me, I can't imagine how they get a kick out of it. Quite sad. It did make me question the guys (who I do know) who are acquainted with them.

Apologies, I meant for my tone... and on a Sunday too!

There are lots of great, interesting guys out there but the presence of these cretins makes a hard task nigh on impossible.

It seems like you dodged a bullet with one of these sad acts as well.

• Advertisement

Apologies, I meant for my tone... and on a Sunday too!

There are lots of great, interesting guys out there but the presence of these cretins makes a hard task nigh on impossible.

It seems like you dodged a bullet with one of these sad acts as well.

ah sure I know that. Haven't given up hope on it.... yet! :pac:

What's this? A reply on POF? Followed almost imediately by an unsolicited message?
    It's all comin' up Milhouse!

Update: Bit of a false dawn by the look of it unfortunately. Don't think I'm getting that second reply by the look of it and the unsolicited was a 'how r u?' from a near empty profile.
    Still though, thanks for all the 'likes' guys. 'tis nice to know ya'all have my back! :pac:

I miss the early days of OD when it was mostly just shy nerds (swoon :D) and everyone was genuine. Now every pleb in the country is giving it a whirl and it's so hard to sort out who's genuine or not as ye said. Much more difficult now. Or else my increased age has changed my outlook :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭DerekDGoldfish

I miss the early days of OD when it was mostly just shy nerds (swoon :D) and everyone was genuine. Now every pleb in the country is giving it a whirl and it's so hard to sort out who's genuine or not as ye said. Much more difficult now. Or else my increased age has changed my outlook :pac:

You should set up your own site shynerds.com, you could make a fortune

You should set up your own site shynerds.com, you could make a fortune
    In fairness, it probably exists already *goes off to check*
    Feck, a host company has it. Could totally work though :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 sarah42012

Thinking about diving back into OD, anyone got any funny stories they wanna share?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭GRMA

Seems to be luck of the draw with OD... looks like I lucked out on my first ever OD date a few weeks ago, still seeing her and it's going very well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

Having a bad weekend. The date I was suppose to meet earlier in the week was rescheduled to coffee and again he cancelled. So I guess he was just playing me. I sent messages to ten men over the weekend and not one reply :-(

What is it with all the cancellations lately?

PS: Meauldsegosha, I just realised how your boards name is pronounced! :D

• Advertisement

Is there any way to deactivate these flirt messages on POF? They're quite annoying and I'd rather nobody send me one, as it's plain laziness.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement