Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread 3..**READ 1ST POST Oct 2012**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

miamee wrote: »
    I miss the early days of OD when it was mostly just shy nerds (swoon :D) and everyone was genuine. Now every pleb in the country is giving it a whirl and it's so hard to sort out who's genuine or not as ye said. Much more difficult now. Or else my increased age has changed my outlook :pac:

That's one thing that annoyed me over the last few days. Quite a few of the profiles in my area/age bracket are girls "just checking this out because everyone else is doing it". Very little effort put into the profiles, apart from the photos. It'd put a guy off making contact!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 sarah42012

Yeah I noticed that aswell Insect Overlord, 'just jumpin on the band wagon lols!!'

That's one thing that annoyed me over the last few days. Quite a few of the profiles in my area/age bracket are girls "just checking this out because everyone else is doing it". Very little effort put into the profiles, apart from the photos. It'd put a guy off making contact!

Or
    "Ask me. Ask me. Ask me. Ask me. Ask me. Ask me."

Ugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

OD has become a victim of its own success really. In times gone by it was populated by people using it for its intended purpose. Now it's full of posers and timewasters who just use it 'for the craic', making it a heck of a lot harder for genuine people to achieve anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

Everything just seems so ridiculously stacked against most men now (the messers, trolls and sexpests obviously don't help) that I honestly think even Ross O'Carroll-Kelly would struggle to land an online date..

Fock it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Everything just seems so ridiculously stacked against most men now (the messers, trolls and sexpests obviously don't help) that I honestly think even Ross O'Carroll-Kelly would struggle to land an online date..

Fock it.

I agree. After a break up, a male friend of mine started online dating about two years ago. Good looking guy, funny, honest, steady job, car, house, cat etc. He theoretically ticks all the usual boxes (there's a pun there somewhere) he had a fairly hard time getting a proper date. He spent a few months just "getting the ride" but then tried to get something serious out of it. I know he was on POF but there are others he is/was on.

He had a reasonably complete dating profile with no BS. He met a load of girls just looking for a "free meal" as he put it. He got stood up a lot, percentage wise he reckons 25% were no shows. Is that normal?

Anyway, he was on and off the dating sites for a few months but went back on and has now landed a really good one. Everything is looking good for the guy. A month on and it she is still very interested.

I am familiar with one or two of you in this thread but cannot understand how you have not been snapped up!!!! Hang in there folks, when it is right...it will be right.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

ok cupid user's I find myself currently no longer in the market for a romantic entanglement.However I still enjoy hearing from interesting people on here and as such will be keeping my profile open. Just don't want to be thought of as false advertising. And fan mail is always welcome :-)
    Janey mac, this is a new one on me. Basically looking for penpals or what?!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Janey mac, this is a new one on me. Basically looking for penpals or what?!

Yeah, i saw her profile and did a double take myself!!

Saw a profile on POF yesterday of someone who said that she didn't want any copy and paste mails and that she lurks on this thread on Boards.

I had seen her profile on OKC too so i sent her a mail on POF, then copied and pasted it into a mail to her on OKC.

She didn't see the funny side of it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Lol, no sense of humour so! That quote is from a guys profile on OKC. Must be a few of them about. I can't imagine using the sites for a minute longer than necessary to be honest!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

ok cupid user's I find myself currently no longer in the market for a romantic entanglement.However I still enjoy hearing from interesting people on here and as such will be keeping my profile open. Just don't want to be thought of as false advertising. And fan mail is always welcome :-)
    Jaysus, that's rather sad really... 'fan mail'? She must have pretty low self esteem if she needs randomers on the internet to tell her's she's good looking. Perhaps the new man isn't generous with the ole compliments :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Well, had date #3 with the "butterflies" guy on Saturday night. Went great, stayed out til the death, etc. etc.

BUT...

...I have a feeling he's done a fade. Nothing concrete, but he just seemed a little bit "off" yesterday and my spidey senses are tingling big time. If I don't hear from him today, I'll know for sure, cause he's rung me every single day since our first date a couple of weeks ago. Watch this space.

I reckon it's the hair.

Galvasean wrote: »
    the unsolicited was a 'how r u?' from a near empty profile.
    Look on the bright side: at least it wasn't "hows u?" - drives me fooking mental!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Siuin wrote: »
    Look on the bright side: at least it wasn't "hows u?" - drives me fooking mental!

'Hi' - is even worse! :D

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Well, had date #3 with the "butterflies" guy on Saturday night. Went great, stayed out til the death, etc. etc.

BUT...

...I have a feeling he's done a fade. Nothing concrete, but he just seemed a little bit "off" yesterday and my spidey senses are tingling big time. If I don't hear from him today, I'll know for sure, cause he's rung me every single day since our first date a couple of weeks ago. Watch this space.

I reckon it's the hair.

jaysus...

If a guy changes his mind about someone based on her hair colour, purely cos she dyed it, to me it seems like you'd be better off without!

If a woman did that, we'd all be saying want a bitch she was

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

jaysus...

If a guy changes his mind about someone based on her hair colour, purely cos she dyed it, to me it seems like you'd be better off without!

If a woman did that, we'd all be saying want a bitch she was

I dunno, I can kind of understand not fancying someone after a drastic change in appearance. Like, yesterday he was saying how much his hair was annoying him and he was thinking of shaving his head again and I was kind of going "I'm not sure if I'd fancy him with a shaved head."

Anyway, joke's on him if that is the case, cause I hate the hair myself and will be going back blonde within in the month...

Jaysus, that's rather sad really... 'fan mail'? She must have pretty low self esteem if she needs randomers on the internet to tell her's she's good looking. Perhaps the new man isn't generous with the ole compliments :P
    He...it is a guy :)

He...it is a guy :)

Really?!
    Double Jaysus :P
    I googled the quote and a female's profile came up...?

Really?!

Yeah, and a right li'l cutie she is too!! :P

Honey-ec wrote: »
    I dunno, I can kind of understand not fancying someone after a drastic change in appearance. Like, yesterday he was saying how much his hair was annoying him and he was thinking of shaving his head again and I was kind of going "I'm not sure if I'd fancy him with a shaved head."

Have to say I agree. I hate facial hair and there are some profiles with pics of them with beards and some without. Would hate if I had a date and he turned up with a beard! :(
    And yes I know its only hair and can come off but still...

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭riveratom

I think the main thing is that your profile pics match up with what you look like when you first meet for the first date.

I met a girl during the summer, and in all her profile pics she had blonde hair and was slim. Then, about 10 minutes before we were meant to meet, she goes and mails me saying she has brown hair now!! Met her and not only was she not blonde any more, she had also put on a few pounds too. I didn't actually mind that much and I still fancied her pretty much, but still and all....!

• Advertisement

Really?!
    Oh...it was definitely a guy's profile I was looking at with pics & everything via the Quickmatch option. Maybe the pair of them put up the same message :D

Not to worry, odd either way!

riveratom wrote: »
    I think the main thing is that your profile pics match up with what you look like when you first meet for the first date.

I met a girl during the summer, and in all her profile pics she had blonde hair and was slim. Then, about 10 minutes before we were meant to meet, she goes and mails me saying she has brown hair now!! Met her and not only was she not blonde any more, she had also put on a few pounds too. I didn't actually mind that much and I still fancied her pretty much, but still and all....!

yeah, that is kinda important.

I have a few new pics from our office xmas party at the weekend to put up, as i have been told that my 'smiling' pictures are quite difficult to make out.

Only problem is that in one of the pics (and it would be the clearest and only one that i'm on my own in) it looks like i have a bloody fat suit on!!

Actually, on revision, it was, "Hey hows you".
    Why do people not use punctuation? It's a sad sign that one of the things I admire most when reading OD profiles is good grammer and punctuation. You'd think that would be a given...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

benwavner wrote: »
    I agree. After a break up, a male friend of mine started online dating about two years ago. Good looking guy, funny, honest, steady job, car, house, cat etc. He theoretically ticks all the usual boxes (there's a pun there somewhere) he had a fairly hard time getting a proper date. He spent a few months just "getting the ride" but then tried to get something serious out of it. I know he was on POF but there are others he is/was on.

He had a reasonably complete dating profile with no BS. He met a load of girls just looking for a "free meal" as he put it. He got stood up a lot, percentage wise he reckons 25% were no shows. Is that normal?

Anyway, he was on and off the dating sites for a few months but went back on and has now landed a really good one. Everything is looking good for the guy. A month on and it she is still very interested.

I am familiar with one or two of you in this thread but cannot understand how you have not been snapped up!!!! Hang in there folks, when it is right...it will be right.

And that's another reason I try to avoid dinner dates until I'm going out with someone. God forbid you don't like/fancy the guy... instead of him thinking 'at least we gave it a shot' he might think 'she only wanted a free meal'. :rolleyes:

Actually, on revision, it was, "Hey hows you".
    Why do people not use punctuation? It's a sad sign that one of the things I admire most when reading OD profiles is good grammer and punctuation. You'd think that would be a given...

Yeah, it's one thing that turns me off straight away. If a person can't manage to get even less than a sentence grammatically correct it just gives the impression that they're a bit of an idiot.

Yeah, it's one thing that turns me off straight away. If a person can't manage to get even less than a sentence grammatically correct it just gives the impression that they're a bit of an idiot.

And spelling!! Maybe we are just getting picky! :D

Is there any way of changing your POF user name? I'm fed up with mine. There doesn't seem to be an option for it in 'edit profile'.

benwavner wrote: »
    He got stood up a lot, percentage wise he reckons 25% were no shows. Is that normal?

I've been stood up twice out of 20 (maybe a bit more) first dates, <10% for me. That said though, 1 in 10 being no shows is pretty poor form. 1 in 4 is just scandalous!
    That's why I always arrange to meet somewhere in the city centre. That way if they don't show up I can still go to the cinema (I love you Cineworld card) or do something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

No spark? No chemistry? No je ne sais quoi?

Having knocked OD in the head (and not regretting it for a second), this post just kinda reminded me of the torture and pressure we inflict on ourselves in the name of lurve. I think the lesson is to never rule out that nature will sometimes just take it's course with enough time. Be careful out there OD'ers:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

mood wrote: »
    And that's another reason I try to avoid dinner dates until I'm going out with someone. God forbid you don't like/fancy the guy... instead of him thinking 'at least we gave it a shot' he might think 'she only wanted a free meal'. :rolleyes:

To be honest. I'd say that was just his way of describing the situation to me. I have no experience of OD so im sure it was easier to explain it to me that way than any other. If he was to go into genuine reasons of no spark, connection, not for me etc.....probably didnt want to try and justify it to me.
    I've been stood up twice out of 20 (maybe a bit more) first dates, <10% for me. That said though, 1 in 10 being no shows is pretty poor form. 1 in 4 is just scandalous!
    That's why I always arrange to meet somewhere in the city centre. That way if they don't show up I can still go to the cinema (I love you Cineworld card) or do something else.

Good point. His main problem was he was coming from Drogheda most times or staying up in Dublin for the date. It may have been a case of "fake accounts" or maybe they seen him from a distance and didnt like him in reality.

There are guys that give him stick from OD but tbh, if I was single I would use it. It seems like a fun way to do things. Plenty of trolls though Id imagine..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement