Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread 3..**READ 1ST POST Oct 2012**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

"No likey no lighty" (which I have no idea what it's a reference to)

Never seen that one before. No idea what it means.
    Saying you go to the gym a lot is code for "I have a good body. You'd enjoy having sex with it".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

The likey/lighty thing is a "Take Me Out" reference. Loads of blokes use it too.

I've mused before about how everyone on POF goes to the gym, nobody smokes and nobody drinks more than socially.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Was out with a girl mid-last week (hadn't mentioned her in this thread), we've seen each other twice since, and I think I'm pretty smitten...

There's a possibility I might be coming to the end of my online dating experience, but we'll see how it goes...

Galvasean wrote: »
    Never seen that one before. No idea what it means.
    Saying you go to the gym a lot is code for "I have a good body. You'd enjoy having sex with it".

I've seen it on many people's headline doohickeys. It just looks like someone who is really shit at rhyming to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭riveratom

Phrases I see repeated on women's profiles a lot-

"I like going out with my girls"
    "I go to the gym" (seriously, does everyone go to the gym or something?)
    "No likey no lighty" (which I have no idea what it's a reference to)
    "Don't know why I'm here/A friend put me up to this/other excuses"

Translations.....
    "I like going out with my girls"
    This is the first thing that popped into my head to show I'm always out and I have lots of friends and I'm not a social recluse doing online dating!
    "I go to the gym"
    I'm not fat. Really I'm not. Ok maybe I could stand to lose one or two. I'm no fitness model but I DO go to the gym!
    "No likey no lighty"
    Look at me all so clever and with it and up to speed on the latest televisual talking points!
    "Don't know why I'm here/A friend put me up to this/other excuses"
    I really would like to meet someone but I'm gonna put up this initial facade to show I'm real casual about all this but I secretly do want to meet
    someone on here and I hope I get lots of mails ;)

:D

• Advertisement

Oh and people that ask for more than "Hi, how are you?" but have nothing of interest (or the bare minimum) in their profiles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

I would dearly love to know what it is about my profile that says "I'd make an excellent tour guide!" I've just had my fourth (or possibly fifth) message from sdifferent people who are going to be in Dublin for a week soon and is looking for recommendations of what to do/where to go.

Bizarre.

Am I the only one that feels that online dating does more damage to dating than good?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

My thoughts exactly!!! five years, i mean a few wrinkles, a couple of pounds here n there but i havent changed that much!
    Maby he is doing it for a kick though, you could be right! Wish he would just leave me alone now :(. Stalking me for a year was bad enough.

Would you consider making a complaint to the guardi? If they have an chat with him it might scare him into leaving you alone for once and for all.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Am I the only one that feels that online dating does more damage to dating than good?
    Online does seem to have a bit of a conveyor belt feel to it with the emphasis on seeing as many people as possible as quickly as possible cos you are bound to 'hit the jackpot' eventually.

I'm not able for that element at all, the thought of going on first date after date with virtual strangers who I have barely gotten to know is not appealing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

Honey-ec wrote: »
    The likey/lighty thing is a "Take Me Out" reference. Loads of blokes use it too.

I've mused before about how everyone on POF goes to the gym, nobody smokes and nobody drinks more than socially.

And the regular scuba diving, marathon running, swimming with sharks, bungee jumping, etc etc. Do they feck.

Regular lounge lizards in licensed premises, more like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

Oh and people that ask for more than "Hi, how are you?" but have nothing of interest (or the bare minimum) in their profiles.

I'm not that surprised. Many people are actually quite dull in real life so it's not surprising they fail to articulate themselves in an engaging way online.

I've noticed a lot of what you might call 'poster girls' note very little in their profiles, as if they are saying, 'I'm so hot I don't need to bother constructing sentences here as I'll get plenty of mail anyway'. Maybe a lot of well-chiselled male model types do as well, I don't know.

You have to remember that those who are successful with OD tend not to spend time posting their gripes on here. They are too busy enjoying themselves. And being smug!

I'm not that surprised. Many people are actually quite dull in real life so it's not surprising they fail to articulate themselves in an engaging way online.

I've noticed a lot of what you might call 'poster girls' note very little in their profiles, as if they are saying, 'I'm so hot I don't need to bother constructing sentences here as I'll get plenty of mail anyway'. Maybe a lot of well-chiselled male model types do as well, I don't know.

You have to remember that those who are successful with OD tend not to spend time posting their gripes on here. They are too busy enjoying themselves. And being smug!

They are right. They will get loads of messages. I have noticed a lot of men don't read profiles. They only look at photos. One guy who posted here ages ago said he messages an amazing looking girl but she sent the most b*tchy, horrible reply I have seem posted in this thread. And his views was along the lines of 'but she was sooooo hot'. Everyone had to point out that she was a b*tch. And he still went on about her hotness which was obviously the only important thing to him. I am sure there are many more like him out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

benwavner wrote: »
    I am familiar with one or two of you in this thread but cannot understand how you have not been snapped up!!!! Hang in there folks, when it is right...it will be right.

Thanks man! :pac: :pac:

Better be talking about me!!
    and he is totally lying about his age, he is nowhere near 28, the big fibber!

Oh, there are a lot of men lying about their age on POF. In their 30's? More like 50's!!

Larianne wrote: »
    Thanks man! :pac: :pac:

Better be talking about me!!

Oh, there are a lot of men lying about their age on POF. In their 30's? More like 50's!!

Maybe (I've been using a different web site). I know they say men age better than women but the past year or so I'm not so sure. A lot of men in their 30/40 just don't take care of them selfs therefore they look older than they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

mood wrote: »

Maybe (I've been using a different web site). I know they say men age better than women but the past year or so I'm not so sure. A lot of men in their 30/40 just don't take care of them selfs therefore they look older than they are.

Aww cwap! That means I'm totally screwed!!

Aww cwap! That means I'm totally screwed!!

Start taking care of yourself and you'll be fine. It's amazing what a nice hair cut and clothes can do. Take up exercise if you don't exercise already. Start using a SPF. It's never too late. Get a female friends/sister opinion of needed. If you dress like your father things really need to change!

Start taking care of yourself and you'll be fine. It's amazing what a nice hair cut and clothes can do. Take up exercise if you don't exercise already. Start using a SPF. It's never too late. Get a female friends/sister opinion of needed. If you dress like your father things really need to change!

SPF? And I mean I'm screwed cos I've been told I look younger than 37. So women will think I'm lying!! :-)

An I mean in 3d world. My pics are..... Well, homely, to say the least!!

SPF? And I mean I'm screwed cos I've been told I look younger than 37. So women will think I'm lying!! :-)

An I mean in 3d world. My pics are..... Well, homely, to say the least!!

A decent SPF will prevent you form aging as will not smoking, drinking in moderation, exercising and eating properly.

Looking younger than you age is good but that doesn't mean you dress nicely etc. Maybe go shopping with a female friend/sister if in doubt. If you hair cut is the same as it was when you were 12 it needs a change. Also, trying to dress younger is very aging. A honest, blunt, trusted opinion in needed.

I often find that OD is completely weighted against men. Women seem to have so many men to choose from, which makes it feel like all of it is a competition rather than anything else. It's really starting to make me feel cynical!

• Advertisement

Pet hate ...

Why are you single? ...

What am I meant to respond to that ???

Pet hate ...

Why are you single? ...

"Because I haven't met you yet"

:pac:

I often find that OD is completely weighted against men. Women seem to have so many men to choose from, which makes it feel like all of it is a competition rather than anything else. It's really starting to make me feel cynical!

Trust me. When the majority are god****es with willy photos / terrible written photos / no or very poor photos / 15 years older/younger it's easy to see the guys with potential. That developing into anything else is another matter altogether.

A decent SPF will prevent you form aging as will not smoking, drinking in moderation, exercising and eating properly.

Looking younger than you age is good but that doesn't mean you dress nicely etc. Maybe go shopping with a female friend/sister if in doubt. If you hair cut is the same as it was when you were 12 it needs a change. Also, trying to dress younger is very aging. A honest, blunt, trusted opinion in needed.

Forgive my ignorance, but what's an SPF?

My hair is in a very different cut to being 12, what with me actually choosing as opposed to my parents.

Dressing as a younger bloke isn't something I do either. I dress as a normal bloke my age.

"Because I haven't met you yet"

:pac:

Pass the bucket! Seriously don't use chat up lines. Never good.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Pet hate ...

Why are you single? ...

Or "So how are you finding the site?"

or "So you been on many dates?"

or "How are things going for you on here?"

I've a WHOLE profile done out and you ask me these stupid questions!! :mad:

Pass the bucket! Seriously don't use chat up lines. Never good.

Some women appreciate lines :p Haha. Was a good 'un. :pac:

Forgive my ignorance, but what's an SPF?

My hair is in a very different cut to being 12, what with me actually choosing as opposed to my parents.

Dressing as a younger bloke isn't something I do either. I dress as a normal bloke my age.

I honestly thought you were joking at first!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunscreen

Basically a broad spectrum SPF is needed every day. UVB (in summer) burns you. UVA (which is there al year around) ages you. I only discovered this recently after been told by a professional and I still you younger for my age even according to her! But I being careful anymore.

Some women appreciate lines :p Haha. Was a good 'un. :pac:

Maybe said as a piss take! But definately not if intended to yeild results.

• Advertisement

I honestly thought you were joking at first!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunscreen

Basically a broad spectrum SPF is needed every day. UVB (in summer) burns you. UVA (which is there al year around) ages you. I only discovered this recently after been told by a professional and I still you younger for my age even according to her! But I being careful anymore.

Oh. I didn't know that. I always wear sunscreen in the summer. I'm an ex red head!! The cycle with me is White, Pink, Pain, Peel.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement