Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread 3..**READ 1ST POST Oct 2012**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

Larianne wrote: »
    Or "So how are you finding the site?"

or "So you been on many dates?"

or "How are things going for you on here?"

I've a WHOLE profile done out and you ask me these stupid questions!! :mad:

I guess they are just stuck for something to say! I wouldn't hold that against a guy if he seem ok otherwise.

Oh. I didn't know that. I always wear sunscreen in the summer. I'm an ex red head!! The cycle with me is White, Pink, Pain, Peel.

Not good.

I would kill for dark, tan skin...

mood wrote: »
    Maybe said as a piss take! But definately not if intended to yeild results.

Oh they would never be intended to yield results, only as a sense of humour. Anyone who just uses them and nothing else really needs to doublethink what they're doing.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I just noticed an option on OKC to 'Switch Account'. Is it expected that people might need more than one?

Maybe one for love and one for fun?! :P

(One is enough!)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Not good.

I would kill for dark, tan skin...

That's where the factor 50 comes in!!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I guess they are just stuck for something to say! I wouldn't hold that against a guy if he seem ok otherwise.

I just find it an awkward question to answer. And this question might be in the 2nd mail they've sent.

I just find it an awkward question to answer. And this question might be in the 2nd mail they've sent.

I just think that question is a "I'm stuck for something to say, but am trying to keep this conversation going" question.

That's where the factor 50 comes in!!! :)

Not for me. Sob sob. Even a red head, sorry ex red head tan better than me :rolleyes:

Not for me. Sob sob. Even a red head, sorry ex red head tan better than me :rolleyes:

I don't tan. I just use f-50 to keep from starting that sunburn cycle again!!

I just think that question is a "I'm stuck for something to say, but am trying to keep this conversation going" question.

I've replied to that type of question. It has resulted in meeting a nice guy and in other cases where I was trying to drag blood from a stone. :rolleyes:

Worth try IMO.

• Advertisement

I don't tan. I just use f-50 to keep from starting that sunburn cycle again!!

I've had people laugh at me for doing the same. HELLO I'm Irish.

I've replied to that type of question. It has resulted in meeting a nice guy and in other cases where I was trying to drag blood from a stone. :rolleyes:

Worth try IMO.

Don't get me wrong, I've used it myself. Just don't like having to use it. If I have to use it early in a conversation it suggests to me that the first one or 2 replies were out of politeness, and I'm not going to be getting much beyond mailing.

I've lots of things on my profile that could be discussed! It's written in a way, that I would expect banter back from someone who's read it. (if that makes any sense). Someone who just asks me something like "how's the site going for me?" I don't think is for me.

I've lots of things on my profile that could be discussed!

I know you do.

But not every bloke takes the time to read a profile. Think it was mood that said a lot of blokes just do the pics!

I know you do.

But not every bloke takes the time to read a profile. Think it was mood that said a lot of blokes just do the pics!

Exactly other wise men/boys 15 years older/younger would know that is not the age bracket I specified, never mind all the other stuff.

I know you do.

Well, it's those types I don't want to entertain!

Ah do you here me!! :rolleyes: :pac:

Well, it's those types I don't want to entertain!

Ah do you here me!! :rolleyes: :pac:

Then it a good thing as it can be very, very easy to spot. Bin or block and move on. Hopefully the next message will be form a guy who uses his brain a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

I'd second whoever said about getting sharper with clothes, hair, etc.

I've never really put much effort into clothes, hairstyle, shoes, etc until recently, as I was always in a relationship and wanted to play it safe with style... and I was lazy.

Anyways, dating and especially online dating is pretty ruthless so I figured I'd better change things up and look my best... I generally haven't the budget for expensive threads, but Penneys (or Dunnes) have some cracking clothes for a good price to get you started.

I'd also HUGELY recommend a good haircut... if in doubt, go to the Waldorf Barbershop on Westmoreland Street (http://www.facebook.com/Waldorf.Barbershop) and treat yourself to a cut. They're easily the best in Ireland & the barbershop in an awesome experience in itself.
    I've had the same style the last 5-6 years and the reaction since my recent cut is unreal... it's honestly worth the risk and the extra cash to get a super-sharp hairstyle.

It works, believe me.
    I had the poxy spell of no replies, no dates, etc. when I started, but with some effort it can do a complete turnaround.

Ok. I think it was me who brought up that some men don't take care of themselves etc. What do guy think in regard to women? Any advice for us?

From my personal experience of women's photos, the same probably will apply to men -
    Don't have just group pictures. If you do, at least state which one you are.
    My own personal pet peeve, just because I find it more funny than anything else, is women that take pictures in toilets on what looks like a night out. Surely it can't be difficult to get a friend to take a photo of you.
    Don't wear sun glasses in every picture - have seen this happen once or twice and it just seems to defeat the purpose of having face pictures to me.

Jesus, online dating really has made me so cynical and picky :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

I'd also HUGELY recommend a good haircut... if in doubt, go to the Waldorf Barbershop on Westmoreland Street (http://www.facebook.com/Waldorf.Barbershop) and treat yourself to a cut. They're easily the best in Ireland & the barbershop in an awesome experience in itself.
    I've had the same style the last 5-6 years and the reaction since my recent cut is unreal... it's honestly worth the risk and the extra cash to get a super-sharp hairstyle.

Those of us with a thinning thatch and a permanently shorn 'style' don't have this dilemma anymore :pac:

It's just as well I'm sartorially super-sharp to compensate...

Ok. I think it was me who brought up that some men don't take care of themselves etc. What do guy think in regard to women? Any advice for us?

It was established on here recently that the OD thinking man likes the ladies with glasses :pac:

Seriously though, I reckon men aren't quite as judgmental when it comes to a woman's personal 'style'.

I guess a reasonably nice figure (but it's not the huge deal you might think) and a fashionable hairstyle always goes down well. Also, too much makeup is normally perceived as a negative.

Don't know if the above helps. But never worry, men are too shallow/dense to notice your new haircut/accessories/dress anyway!

It was established on here recently that the OD thinking man likes the ladies with glasses :pac:

Seriously though, I reckon men aren't quite as judgmental when it comes to a woman's personal 'style'.

I guess a reasonably nice figure (but it's not the huge deal you might think) and a fashionable hairstyle always goes down well. Also, too much makeup is normally perceived as a negative.

Don't know if the above helps. But never worry, men are too shallow/dense to notice your new haircut/accessories/dress anyway!

Yes. Men are unlikely to think she need to make more effort or dress more her age, i think it more hot or not and they don't really know why.

Those of us with a thinning thatch and a permanently shorn 'style' don't have this dilemma anymore :pac:

It's just as well I'm sartorially super-sharp to compensate...

Even thinning needs a proper cut or you are in danger of an attempt of a comb over look!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Yes. Men are unlikely to think she need to make more effort or dress more her age, i think it more hot or not and they don't really know why.

I'm 'guilty' of this myself. I wouldn't be able to tell you what I find attractive in a woman appearance wise. I just find them attractive or I don't. I don't think too much into it.
    Now where did I leave that club... there's a mammoth in my garden just begging to be hunted.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Must get a few more speccy pics up so :D

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭missrandomer

ok i have a question.
    Why do guys after getting your number, chat to you for the evening via txting. Then they go back to messaging you back in your inbox again!
    I dont mind, its just if they really want your number then why would they go back to messaging via OD.

Even thinning needs a proper cut or you are in danger of an attempt of a comb over look!

What? You mean ladies actually notice the comb-over?

Now I know why I'm on a dry OD spell!

*Thankfully it's a number one all over and lookin' good!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

So, I got a reply there. That's two in the space of one week. That's more than I've had in the last month! Now, to see if I can get reply #2 and get a conversation going.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Galvasean wrote: »
    So, I got a reply there. That's two in the space of one week. That's more than I've had in the last month! Now, to see if I can get reply #2 and get a conversation going.

You're on a roll! Keep up the good work! :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement