Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread 3..**READ 1ST POST Oct 2012**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭riveratom

Honey-ec wrote: »
    She probably will be. She doesn't seem to see any correlation between her ridiculous list of prerequisites and the fact that she's still single.

I had the following conversation with her last week about butterflies guy.

Her: How old is he?
    Me: 28
    Her: Jeez, you really go for the younger men, don't you? (I'm 30)
    Me: Not specifically, no, he messaged me, I liked his profile and he just happens to me younger than me
    Her: Gawd, I wouldn't even bother replying to someone who was younger than me
    Me: *pointed look*

Oh dear, a younger man needs to be just two years younger then....I see an extended period of single-ness in her future!

I guess some folks just have a massive lack of self-awareness. Goes for both genders I'm sure, although I'm going to venture men are a little more laid-back when it comes to such matters as required attributes (the main / only one being that they fancy you :))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Am I right in reading that this person went out on the p*ss on Saturday, Sunday and Monday and wasn't really giving you a passing call or text to see how you were?

Nope, we were out together on Saturday. Chatted on Sunday, then we both ended up on the beer separately.

He's a bar manager and was working 10 - 10 yesterday, I rang him at about 10.45 and he was just finishing up and going to have a few beers in his pub after.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

Nope, we were out together on Saturday. Chatted on Sunday, then we both ended up on the beer separately.

He's a bar manager and was working 10 - 10 yesterday, I rang him at about 10.45 and he was just finishing up and going to have a few beers in his pub after.

Ah ok, well, why do you think something has changed then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

riveratom wrote: »
    Oh dear, a younger man needs to be just two years younger then....I see an extended period of single-ness in her future!

I guess some folks just have a massive lack of self-awareness. Goes for both genders I'm sure, although I'm going to venture men are a little more laid-back when it comes to such matters as required attributes (the main / only one being that they fancy you :))

Could be worse- her sister could be settling for someone not worth her time. At the end of the day it's her sister who will have to face the consequences of having such strict criteria and if she's willing to do so, who are we to judge her?

Tbh I think it shows a hightened sense of self-awareness if you know what traits and values you want in a future partner. I'd prefer to be chosen by a guy who was picky rather than one who would take any girl he fancied. If looks and paycheck are important to a person, then they're entitled to pursue that. After all, they're the ones who'll be living with the consequences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Ah ok, well, why do you think something has changed then?

I have absolutely no idea! Just a hunch. I really hope I'm not turning into one of those crazy women who overthinks everything. Can't be having that.

• Advertisement

Siuin wrote: »
    Could be worse- her sister could be settling for someone not worth her time. At the end of the day it's her sister who will have to face the consequences of having such strict criteria and if she's willing to do so, who are we to judge her?

Tbh I think it shows a hightened sense of self-awareness if you know what traits and values you want in a future partner. I'd prefer to be chosen by a guy who was picky rather than one who would take any girl he fancied. If looks and paycheck are important to a person, then they're entitled to pursue that. After all, they're the ones who'll be living with the consequences.

I actually agree with the thinking behind your post and preferring to be chosen by someone who is picky. It's funny, as I am going on a first date soon with a girl who has dropped 'oh you're ticking the boxes' in a jokey way into our mails, but I know it's not really a joke at all :) She is drop-dead gorgeous and I am liking being picked from the dozens of blokes she no doubt gets mailing her every day....

That's a lot of different though to blanking someone because of a list of requirements like the ones above.. I always like to think about asking the person - 'so would ya go out with me if I was 6'1" and I earned €44,999 a year??!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

Sometimes it's worth remembering that sweet shop box ticking isn't all that.

I used to be a bit like that in my early 20s, thinking I knew better and had my 'principles'. Now, twenty years later, I wish I had taken a slightly more moderate view. It can be lonely at the top.

It's fine to have a general idea of the type of person you want to be with, but a little flexibility wouldn't go amiss.

Human attraction isn't like a spreadsheet. Unfortunately OD gives off that impression.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

I have absolutely no idea! Just a hunch. I really hope I'm not turning into one of thsoe crazy women who overthinks everything. Can't be having that.

It's normal when you really like someone though, isn't it? You think you are all bright and breezy but then, BAM, welcome to irrational thought town, population you!

:D

You are a pretty straight forward person when it comes to these things, I think you know it's best just to ask if you are not sure. There are ways to ask without sounding like one of those crazy women.

:D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Sent one message yesterday, no reply. Just sent another two there now so let's see what happens :)

If nothing else, I am impressed that I managed to find 3 men worth messaging on POF. :D
    I usually lose patience too quickly to look properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Ah, a dick pic. It's been a while.........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 BoyJohn129

Larianne wrote: »
    Ah, a dick pic. It's been a while.........

Impressive?!! :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

Has any guy EVER in the history of online dating gotten first messages from girls with a picture of their fanny? :pac:

It boggles the mind what some men hope to achieve by sending dick pics :confused:

BoyJohn129 wrote: »
    Impressive?!! :D:D

Pretty sure it wasn't the senders.
    Has any guy EVER in the history of online dating gotten first messages from girls with a picture of their fanny? :pac:

It boggles the mind what some men hope to achieve by sending dick pics :confused:

I'm pretty sure guys had mentioned a girl's profile showed pretty much EVERYTHING in the pic. I'm sure someone can confirm. :pac:

miamee wrote: »
    Sent one message yesterday, no reply. Just sent another two there now so let's see what happens :)

If nothing else, I am impressed that I managed to find 3 men worth messaging on POF. :D

It's good to see a woman actually sending a message first - it's not something that happens very often.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

It's good to see a woman actually sending a message first - it's not something that happens very often.

Yep. And as a word of encouragement, I rarely contacted men first. But I've been blissfully loved up with one such rarity for two months now. Do it!

Ha! Be funny if we're all messaging the same 5 guys!! :pac:

Ha! Be funny if we're all messaging the same 5 guys!! :pac:

and they were all boardsies!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

They both viewed me earlier but no response. Ah well, their loss. Sure I'm only marvellous :pac: :pac:

They both viewed me earlier but no response. Ah well, their loss. Sure I'm only marvellous :pac: :pac:

There's a very deluded sense of reality on it. There's no sense of anyone giving anything a chance on it.

What I don't understand is why people have this initial expectation of unbelievable chemistry. There's some hope of that happening in real life where your actually face to face with someone and probably loaded with alcohol but on something like POF the chances of that happening are rare.

If a girl actually went to the effort of mailing me first I'd reply, at least it's a sign that she's making an effort at the very least.

There's many complete wasters on the thing it's unbelievable.

and they were all boardsies!

I try to avoid boardsies, to be honest. (no offence to anyone!)

• Advertisement

well I oughta!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Good call. I'd avoid me if I could.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Just an update for those of you losing faith,the blokes in particular.

I had used OD on and off for a couple of years with varying levels of success,got bored,deleted the profile,got bored and re signed up,rinse and repeat ad nauseum.

Last June a girl messaged me and we got chatting and kept messaging and texting for a few weeks then finally went on a date in early July.

Got on well,lots of chatting and kissed are the end of the date.

Fast forward to now and we are still together.We have met eachothers parents etc and we are well and truly smitten with eachother.

Who knows what the future will bring but at the moment I couldn't be happier.

Moral of the story is that it is possible to meet someone through OD,it just takes patients and of course a bit of luck.

:)

Necronos wrote: »

I had used OD on and off for a couple of years with varying levels of success,got bored,deleted the profile,got bored and re signed up,rinse and repeat ad nauseum.

Last June a girl messaged me and we got chatting and kept messaging and texting for a few weeks then finally went on a date in early July.

Fast forward to now and we are still together.We have met eachothers parents etc and we are well and truly smitten with eachother.

Moral of the story is that it is possible to meet someone through OD,it just takes patients and of course a bit of luck.

Fair play for coming back to tell your story ;)

Necronos - that's great to hear. Missed at the beers though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Human attraction isn't like a spreadsheet. Unfortunately OD gives off that impression.

Oooh, can I use that as my tagline? :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,088 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Necronos wrote: »

Woohoo! Hope appears.

Dibs on Best Man. :P

He's not allowed out anymore. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Keep December 28th open,I'm trying to get something arranged.
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭LittleFox

Losing fate with Pof, just too many messers, had my head screwed with again, I want to thank fellow boardsie as I was warned about the guy I was talking to, called him out on his crap this evening, glad I didn't waste anymore time chatting to him, 6 months was enough :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

LittleFox wrote: »
    Losing fate with Pof, just too many messers, had my head screwed with again, I want to thank fellow boardsie as I was warned about the guy I was talking to, called him out on his crap this evening, glad I didn't waste anymore time chatting to him, 6 months was enough :p

Hard luck.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement