Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread 3..**READ 1ST POST Oct 2012**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

LittleFox wrote: »
    Losing fate with Pof, just too many messers, had my head screwed with again, I want to thank fellow boardsie as I was warned about the guy I was talking to, called him out on his crap this evening, glad I didn't waste anymore time chatting to him, 6 months was enough :p

I know how you feel. I'm staying away from it for the rest of the month. Plenty of other stuff on to keep me busy. Only so many knock you can take.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I'm back to getting blanked on POF. Consistency feels good :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Some guy had this on POF last night - Andy Rooney quotes - and it made me smile- thought I would share it with you

An over 40 woman will never wake you in the middle of the night to ask, "What are you thinking?" She doesn't care what you think.

Over 40 women are dignified. They seldom have a screaming match with you at the opera or in the middle of an expensive restaurant. Of course, if you deserve it, they won't hesitate to shoot you if they think they can get away with it.

An over 40 woman has the self-assurance to introduce you to her women friends. A woman over 40 couldn't care less if you're attracted to her friends because she knows her friends won't betray her.

Women get psychic as they age. You never have to confess your sins to an over 40 woman. They always know.

Over 40 women are forthright and honest. They'll tell you right off you are a jerk if you are acting like one. You don't ever have to wonder where you stand with her.

Yes, we praise over 40 women for a multitude of reasons. Unfortunately, it's not reciprocal. For every stunning, smart, well-coiffed hot woman of 40+, there is a bald, paunchy relic in yellow pants making a fool of himself with some 22-year-old waitress.

And my favourite!

For all those men who say, 'Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free?', here's an update for you.

Nowadays 80% of women are against marriage. Why? Because women over 40 realize it's not worth buying an entire pig just to get a little sausage!

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭LittleFox

Hard luck.
    Ah thanks, sure its grand better to know now
    :)

I know how you feel. I'm staying away from it for the rest of the month. Plenty of other stuff on to keep me busy. Only so many knock you can take.
    Ha yeah was annoyed last night but now have just decided he's not worth it, definitely someone who will be getting coal from santa :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Ha yeah was annoyed last night but now have just decided he's not worth it, definitely someone who will be getting coal from santa :p

At least you only wasted six months chatting rather than 6 months of dating. :(

Hard luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

I think there is a few of them on the site will be getting coal from Santa and even that's too much for them. ;-)

The fella that cancelled on me twice last week told me a family member was in hospital which I now know is a lie. We have a mutual friend in common which he didn't realise. If he didn't want to meet me be a man and just tell me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

LyndaMcL wrote: »
    At least you only wasted six months chatting rather than 6 months of dating. :(

Hard luck.

That's the best way of looking at it alright.

Had my first night of radio silence last night after about 2 weeks of constantly chatting to a girl.
    So she either had a date or got annoyed when i suggested swapping phone numbers.

She had been playing very coy all along so i think i was kinda expecting it, but still it was fun to be in a chase for a while at least!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

BoyJohn129 wrote: »
    There's a very deluded sense of reality on it. There's no sense of anyone giving anything a chance on it.

What I don't understand is why people have this initial expectation of unbelievable chemistry. There's some hope of that happening in real life where your actually face to face with someone and probably loaded with alcohol but on something like POF the chances of that happening are rare.

If a girl actually went to the effort of mailing me first I'd reply, at least it's a sign that she's making an effort at the very least.

There's many complete wasters on the thing it's unbelievable.

I'm not sure I agree with this sentiment. I have had conversations with people 'online' and there has been an obvious connection and the conversation has flowed easily enough. Others, it has been very forced and has gone nowhere. Then, recently, I met with someone for a coffee and it was obvious there was chemistry/attraction between both of us. No alcohol was or still is required.

:)

BoyJohn129 wrote: »
    It's good to see a woman actually sending a message first - it's not something that happens very often.

I get it every now-and-then, but the majority of them are just "hey how are you?" messages, to which I generally don't reply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I have on my profile, not to mail me unless you have a photo up (not pof so they can still mail without a photo).

So when someone mails me without a photo i usually just say, "Did you read my profile?" as i get sick of people mailing without even looking at my profile and then mailing me regardless, to which i got a reply just there "Who the f**k did i think i was and i should be grateful (their sp,not mine,lol) to be getting any messages"

Hilarious really, as they obv wanted to mail me in the first place, so when they get rejected, they then turn it around, its pathetic and quite sad really,lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

andreac wrote: »
    Hilarious really, as they obv wanted to mail me in the first place, so when they get rejected, they then turn it around, its pathetic and quite sad really,lol.

I had one guy (the only person I ever reported) on POF call me a cnut for not replying to his mail. It was actually hilarious as well as alarming, the entire "exchange" went something like this (pay attention to the timings!):

Saturday 08.39: Hey, you look really nice, how are you?

Saturday 08.58: Can't even be bothered replying? Nice.

Saturday 09.17: Sure you're only a jumped-up cnut anyway, don't know why you think you're all that, you're not even good-looking anyway, you fcukin stuck-up bitch

So I woke up at about 10am that morning to the three of these in a row. I was so tempted to reply and say "So why did you message me in the first place?" but I wasn't drawing him on me. I wouldn't mind, but he viewed my profile loads more times after that! Hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Losing fate with Pof, just too many messers, had my head screwed with again, I want to thank fellow boardsie as I was warned about the guy I was talking to, called him out on his crap this evening, glad I didn't waste anymore time chatting to him, 6 months was enough :p

If I may pry (and I will when next I see you in IRL so do as you may :p), what was it taht had ye chatting for 6 months but never meeting up?
    So when someone mails me without a photo i usually just say, "Did you read my profile?" as i get sick of people mailing without even looking at my profile and then mailing me regardless, to which i got a reply just there "Who the f**k did i think i was and i should be grateful (their sp,not mine,lol) to be getting any messages"

They sound like the kind of guys who make their own theme park, with black jack... and hookers!

Exactly Honey, they obviously like the look of us in the first place to message us, but when it doesnt go their way or they get rejected, they suddenly do a U-turn, its actually hilarious. I reported the message for being offensive so hopefully he gets kicked off the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Exactly Honey, they obviously like the look of us in the first place to message us, but when it doesnt go their way or they get rejected, they suddenly do a U-turn, its actually hilarious. I reported the message for being offensive so hopefully he gets kicked off the site.

Same with the ones with no photos. Seemingly Im 'more interested in image' than the person. :rolleyes:
    I have my pic up and you mailed me! Duh! :rolleyes:

Galvasean wrote: »

If I may pry (and I will when next I see you in IRL so do as you may :p), what was it taht had ye chatting for 6 months but never meeting up
    Ha yes you may pry m'dear . Yep it was that guy, but I did meet him once, but he did a 180 once I questioned him regarding a few things that weren't adding up. I caught him in a lie and he didn't like that. So I'm free for the gig on sat now, are many of the group going?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Ha yes you may pry m'dear . Yep it was that guy, but I did meet him once, but he did a 180 once I questioned him regarding a few things that weren't adding up. I caught him in a lie and he didn't like that.

6 months is an awfully long time to weave a web of lies. No surprise he got caught in it.
    LittleFox wrote:
    So I'm free for the gig on sat now, are many of the group going?

I'll mail you.

I'll be there.

Just got a message saying "8/10. Would pollinate."

Charming.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,088 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Only an 8? Better find out what you lost the 2 for

• Advertisement

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Only an 8? Better find out what you lost the 2 for

Horrible hair, I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,088 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Were you blonde or dark in the picture?

Wonder what you get for a 9 or a 10 if pollination was the prize for an 8.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Were you blonde or dark in the picture?

Wonder what you get for a 9 or a 10 if pollination was the prize for an 8.

Dark. Thought it would be cheeky in the extreme to leave my profiler blonde when I look nothing like that anymore!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

Honey-ec wrote: »
    It was actually hilarious as well as alarming, the entire "exchange" went something like this (pay attention to the timings!):

Saturday 08.39: Hey, you look really nice, how are you?

Saturday 08.58: Can't even be bothered replying? Nice.

Saturday 09.17: Sure you're only a jumped-up cnut anyway, don't know why you think you're all that, you're not even good-looking anyway, you fcukin stuck-up bitch

There is definitely something alarming about someone who can go from affable to abusive in such a short space of time with zero interaction. Seems to be a few of them around tho. I got one a few months ago where it seems his first message bounced because it was too short so he proceeded to write a much longer message abusing me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Question for the gents on the thread. First date and the lady doesnt put her hand in her pocket. I dont normally mind if its just one drink or a coffee or both. Would you ask her to chip in on the bill ?

Ive had a couple of dates recently and for whatever reason they didnt progress to a second one but me paying gets expensive after a while and im finding myself less likely to meet up with people because of this.

KTRIC wrote: »
    Question for the gents on the thread. First date and the lady doesnt put her hand in her pocket. I dont normally mind if its just one drink or a coffee or both. Would you ask her to chip in on the bill ?

Ive had a couple of dates recently and for whatever reason they didnt progress to a second one but me paying gets expensive after a while and im finding myself less likely to meet up with people because of this.

No, i wouldn't.

I'm not rolling in the cash by any means but if i'm meeting up with someone, especially for the first time i wouldn't expect them to go dutch with me.
    If they offer to get a drink during the date, that's fine, if they don't it's fine too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

KTRIC wrote: »

I'm not a gent but as a lady, if I was going on a date there is no way I would rock up expecting the man to pay. If I can't afford to pay my way I don't go. Simples.

Im the same, i would never ever expect the guy to pay and would always offer to get next drink/cuppa etc if he got the first one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭magneticimpulse

That's the best way of looking at it alright.

Had my first night of radio silence last night after about 2 weeks of constantly chatting to a girl.
    So she either had a date or got annoyed when i suggested swapping phone numbers.

She had been playing very coy all along so i think i was kinda expecting it, but still it was fun to be in a chase for a while at least!! :)

Really??? I avoid guys who are in for the chase like the plague!!!

• Advertisement

Really??? I avoid guys who are in for the chase like the plague!!!

I'm not in it just for the chase, but getting regular replies and actually conversing with someone who may or may not be interested adds to the fun aspect of it.

It's a hell of a lot better than sending out mails and maybe getting a profile view, but not much more else besides.

I'm not doing just for the chase, i do actually want to meet someone. But until that happens, then i'll enjoy it. I reckon i have another week of the "enjoying OD" swing that we all go through... then i'll be back in the "Why am i putting myself through this again" swing....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement