Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread 3..**READ 1ST POST Oct 2012**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭magneticimpulse

I'm not sure I agree with this sentiment. I have had conversations with people 'online' and there has been an obvious connection and the conversation has flowed easily enough. Others, it has been very forced and has gone nowhere. Then, recently, I met with someone for a coffee and it was obvious there was chemistry/attraction between both of us. No alcohol was or still is required.

:)
    I don't agree and I usually never drink alcohol for the 1st few dates. I am never nervous on 1st dates and very confident. I've gone om dates with numerous guys from online dating and we always get on beforehand...emails and chatting. Even in person things are fantastic....but it still comes down to OD misses out on the initial "lust" and chemistry you feel with IRL situations.

Personally I'm open to give things time but OD is a sweet shop experience. For every hot woman a guy gets to go on a date with his confidence rises and he then thinks he can score an even more hot woman and so the cycle continues...it's not just whether you get on. OD is very fickle...men and women climbing the ladder for more attractive, more wealthy people...

Being "nice" doesn't cut it when it comes to OD

• Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Being "nice" doesn't cut it when it comes to OD

well that's me fkd so!! :D

I'm not in it just for the chase, but getting regular replies and actually conversing with someone who may or may not be interested adds to the fun aspect of it.

It's a hell of a lot better than sending out mails and maybe getting a profile view, but not much more else besides.

I'm not doing just for the chase, i do actually want to meet someone. But until that happens, then i'll enjoy it. I reckon i have another week of the "enjoying OD" swing that we all go through... then i'll be back in the "Why am i putting myself through this again" swing....

I still have a problem dating a guy who is enjoying the chase and avoid these guys. The problem I have had in the past is that these guys really enjoy the 1st 6 weeks of dating. They are on a high. Then they come off the high...3 months down the line they are bored and seeking the initial chase and high again. So off he goes to find his next dating fix.

I run a mile from these types of guys

• Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

I still have a problem dating a guy who is enjoying the chase and avoid these guys. The problem I have had in the past is that these guys really enjoy the 1st 6 weeks of dating. They are on a high. Then they come off the high...3 months down the line they are bored and seeking the initial chase and high again. So off he goes to find his next dating fix.

I run a mile from these types of guys

Not all guys who enjoy the chase are the wham bam thank you ma'am types.

If that has been your experience doesn't necessarily mean that all are like that

Not all guys who enjoy the chase are the wham bam thank you ma'am types.

If that has been your experience doesn't necessarily mean that all are like that

I never said all men were like that. I just avoid the ones who get too much enjoyment out of the chase rather than getting to know me. If a guy is hooked on a game of cat and mouse and game playing such as chasing he can tally on by

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

miamee wrote: »
    If nothing else, I am impressed that I managed to find 3 men worth messaging on POF. :D

Jasus that's bad news for the other 99.7 % of men on POF. :pac:
    Has any guy EVER in the history of online dating gotten first messages from girls with a picture of their fanny? :pac:

Ahh I'm getting sick of those messages. Too many women only after the ride. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Has any guy EVER in the history of online dating gotten first messages from girls with a picture of their fanny? :pac:

I'm not a guy, but I've had a girl send me pics of her 'bits and pieces' as her first message to me.

I'm fúcking straight!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

LyndaMcL wrote: »
    I'm not a guy, but I've had a girl send me pics of her 'bits and pieces' as her first message to me.

I'm fúcking straight!!

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper

LyndaMcL wrote: »

I'm fúcking straight!!

I'm willing to bet it was still a guy hoping to get your bits and pieces in return.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Just got a message saying "8/10. Would pollinate."

Charming.
    tumblr_lw3r0cBu5C1qldo5po1_500.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

andreac wrote: »
    I have on my profile, not to mail me unless you have a photo up (not pof so they can still mail without a photo).

So when someone mails me without a photo i usually just say, "Did you read my profile?" as i get sick of people mailing without even looking at my profile and then mailing me regardless, to which i got a reply just there "Who the f**k did i think i was and i should be grateful (their sp,not mine,lol) to be getting any messages"

Hilarious really, as they obv wanted to mail me in the first place, so when they get rejected, they then turn it around, its pathetic and quite sad really,lol.

You can have your mail settings that only people with photos can mail you. Will save you a lot of hassle.

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    Ahh I'm getting sick of those messages. Too many women only after the ride. :pac:
    haha, reminds me of this video:

• Registered Users Posts: 16 MariaStar!

I met a guy on it and went out with him for just under a year, during which he refused to bring me to his house - where he lived with a woman "friend". It was strange because I was always taken to family events and out with friends so still not quite sure what happened there! Anyways, I'm back on pof again with no success as of yet. I get quite nervous going on first dates but it's definitely a better alternative to the local men from where I live! :/

ps. a horror story of one online date. I brought a date back to my house for a drink (only a drink!) and I went to the bathroom. When I had come back to the kitchen he was pissing in my kitchen sink....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Larianne wrote: »
    You can have your mail settings that only people with photos can mail you. Will save you a lot of hassle.

It's not Pof though, so the mails still come through with no photos. Will have a look again at the settings but don't think I can do it on this site.

andreac wrote: »
    It's not Pof though, so the mails still come through with no photos. Will have a look again at the settings but don't think I can do it on this site.

Ah right, apologies!

Next time, don't bother replying.

Some of the profiles on POF are just pitiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 MariaStar!

lol in what way..

Way harsh dude :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Way harsh dude :(

I don't think its harsh , I have come across at least 10 profiles that have been filled in like this

ksjfaksfbajbvkdjbvkjeBVKJVKJDSABVKJDABVSB Mail me if you want to get to know me !

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Found one earlier whose headline was something like "I am not a p...k like other men here". The main body of text wasn't much better, major chip on his shoulder about something!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Armaghmagic

At this stage I am nervous about falling for someone online only for the reason that I would eventually have to tell people how we met.

Having said that I was chatting to a lovely lady off POF and couldn't believe she was chatting to me and hadn't been snapped up already. Turns out she has a kid.....bummer!!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

At this stage I am nervous about falling for someone online only for the reason that I would eventually have to tell people how we met.

I've had two fairly major relationships with people I got to meet on-line (one way back in the days of TeenIreland, :o , the other through Boards) and talking about them was never a problem. It's all in your own head really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Armaghmagic

I've had two fairly major relationships with people I got to meet on-line (one way back in the days of TeenIreland, :o , the other through Boards) and talking about them was never a problem. It's all in your own head really.

And people say that boards isn't a place for hooking up :-P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

I'm also going on a date with a boardsie. :o If it ever came down to it, I wouldn't really have a problem telling people how we met.

Fúck it, who cares about supposed stigma when you're happy? :) Better to meet sober than to hook up with somebody while you're drunk, as far as I'm concerned!

MariaStar! wrote: »
    I met a guy on it and went out with him for just under a year, during which he refused to bring me to his house - where he lived with a woman "friend". It was strange because I was always taken to family events and out with friends so still not quite sure what happened there! Anyways, I'm back on pof again with no success as of yet. I get quite nervous going on first dates but it's definitely a better alternative to the local men from where I live! :/

ps. a horror story of one online date. I brought a date back to my house for a drink (only a drink!) and I went to the bathroom. When I had come back to the kitchen he was pissing in my kitchen sink....

That happened to my housemate as well... The guy pissed in her wardrobe all over her clothes and shoes... Cost her a fortune to have everything cleaned and to get rid of the smell...put her off Internet dating after that.

My date was worse...he ****ted all over the bathroom floor before he reached the toilet.

I should write a list of hilarious OD dating horror stories

Christ.

The worst I've ever had was a date turning up late ...

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Can't say I've ever met up with someone who whizzed on my belongings either...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Having said that I was chatting to a lovely lady off POF and couldn't believe she was chatting to me and hadn't been snapped up already. Turns out she has a kid.....bummer!!

How prominent in your mind is it how people met when you see them together?

It's not something people think about and in this day and age we do *everything* else online - so there really should be no big deal about this. You are being pro-active about wanting to meet someone nice, most people would see that as a good thing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

Why do people add you to their favourites list on POF? No one who has added me has ever contacted me and although 3 have no pics (which might account for it), the rest do. I dont see the point. I also dont see the point of "meet me". I would prefer to get a few messages instead of these "x has added you to their favourites" or "x wants to meet you".

• Advertisement

MariaStar! wrote: »

That happened to my housemate as well... The guy pissed in her wardrobe all over her clothes and shoes... Cost her a fortune to have everything cleaned and to get rid of the smell...put her off Internet dating after that.

My date was worse...he ****ted all over the bathroom floor before he reached the toilet.

I should write a list of hilarious OD dating horror stories

In fairness, in each case ye all knew them well enough to bring them to your home so you can't blame OD for your bad character assessment (or him being pi$$ed enough to think the wardrobe was the bathroom) :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement