Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread 3..**READ 1ST POST Oct 2012**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭MarkyTheLips

Larianne wrote: »
    Pretty much. My cousin was on it too. :o

.. So I've logged back into POF. :o Mailing two nice guys.

Couldn't see you haha where are you hiding!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Herrick

Right, think I've had it at this stage. Chatting to girl near me for a couple of days, added her on FB. Talking about meeting up for a drink. Then after bit more chatting mentioned about swapping numbers.

Chatted away for another few mins and she says she's only looking for friends :(

Oh yes, just she called me a freak, that I should be happy she even considered me and told no girl would bother with me. All I said was I'm not after friends and good luck :(

Have to say usually don't take any notice but feeling fierce bad in myself after that :(

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Galvasean wrote: »
    Are they mailing back? :pac:

:cool: Yes.
    Couldn't see you haha where are you hiding!!

Ah, my profile is hidden. And staying that way! I'm not taking it too seriously. I'll probably be sick of it tomorrow.

Herrick - that is horrible how she replied to you. Bullet dodged etc., but jesus christ that is overly harsh!! :eek: What a cow.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Herrick wrote: »
    Have to say usually don't take any notice but feeling fierce bad in myself after that :(
    B|tch sounds like she was looking for an ego boost. Fúck her.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

Right, think I've had it at this stage. Chatting to girl near me for a couple of days, added her on FB. Talking about meeting up for a drink. Then after bit more chatting mentioned about swapping numbers.

Chatted away for another few mins and she says she's only looking for friends :(

Oh yes, just she called me a freak, that I should be happy she even considered me and told no girl would bother with me. All I said was I'm not after friends and good luck :(

:eek:

maybe this is against forum rules but send her some abuse back and IMMEDIATELY block her so she can't retort. it'll drive her mental that she can't reply back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Herrick

Was talking to her a bit after to know why she'd say such stuff and she said it was insulting that I didn't want to get to know her as a friend and I was only after my hole, so when I didn't seem to be getting it I didn't want to know her.

Said she liked me but would have rather got to know me better first as a friend and then see what would happen, before anything else. I said I wasn't I thought when she said she only wanted friends it was her way of letting me down. Tbh I think she's full of it, surely if she was genuine she could understand my side.

I then asked why she'd call me that stuff and she said I wasn't a freak and went on again about how she was pissed I wouldn't want to get to know her as a friend first. That was the closet to an apology I got :rolleyes:

As tempting as it was, I didn't abuse back. I don't need the drama. Plus, she's close'ish enough to where I am and may know people in common so don't need any potential BS arising from this kinda craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Blergh, avoid her. She sounds unstable and that is putting it in the politest of terms. People that volatile are best given a wide berth.

Was talking to her a bit after to know why she'd say such stuff and she said it was insulting that I didn't want to get to know her as a friend and I was only after my hole, so when I didn't seem to be getting it I didn't want to know her.

Said she liked me but would have rather got to know me better first as a friend and then see what would happen, before anything else. I said I wasn't I thought when she said she only wanted friends it was her way of letting me down. Tbh I think she's full of it, surely if she was genuine she could understand my side.

I then asked why she'd call me that stuff and she said I wasn't a freak and went on again about how she was pissed I wouldn't want to get to know her as a friend first. That was the closet to an apology I got :rolleyes:

As tempting as it was, I didn't abuse back. I don't need the drama. Plus, she's close'ish enough to where I am and may know people in common so don't need any potential BS arising from this kinda craic.

You did the right thing, Hard as it is to do. Rising above it makes it infuriating to the attention seeker. The last word is sometimes the one you don't say.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,795 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Lads I've deleted a few posts from yesterday for the reason below:
    (3) This thread IS NOT for a place to pick up
    Do not come in here to pick up a boardsie, your posts will be deleted. If in the Mods view, this is why you have come to our forum, then you will end up banned, possibly permanently.
    Similarly, this is not a thread in which to learn the art of "Picking up" someone. It is against the Charter of the forum, therefore it carries a Permanent Ban.

Cut it out folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper

As tempting as it was, I didn't abuse back. I don't need the drama.

Kudos! Refusing to go to her level shows you're the better person.

It is a bit shocking how many thoroughly nasty people there are out there though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Ah, don't you just love the idiots who outright insult you in their very first message in the hope that it'll provoke a response and they can suck you into a conversation?

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Ah, don't you just love the idiots who outright insult you in their very first message in the hope that it'll provoke a response and they can suck you into a conversation?

Wow, I thought 'the game' died off long ago.

Got a mail on OKC from someone foreign wanting to know what Ireland is like. This seems to be more common than legitimate mails.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭dub5

I joined Badoo which is proving to be really like all the other on line dating sites.

But I have to love the "ice breakers" that you can send to others. So you just click on ice breaker and it would automatically give you one: These are the choices.....

"What are your favourite restaurants here"......if i sent that I presume one would think that I am looking for a free meal somewhere on a date

"Did you see the game last night".....I would probably get a reply back, asking what game, to which I wouldnt know the answer to!!

"Have you ever gone apple picking"..........is this code for something else?

Seriously if I sent any of those icebreakers people would think I am bonkers:eek:

dub5 wrote: »
    I joined Badoo which is proving to be really like all the other on line dating sites.

But I have to love the "ice breakers" that you can send to others. So you just click on ice breaker and it would automatically give you one: These are the choices.....

"What are your favourite restaurants here"......if i sent that I presume one would think that I am looking for a free meal somewhere on a date

"Did you see the game last night".....I would probably get a reply back, asking what game, to which I wouldnt know the answer to!!

"Have you ever gone apple picking"..........is this code for something else?

Seriously if I sent any of those icebreakers people would think I am bonkers:eek:

You missed teh best one:

"Have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight?"

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭dub5

You missed teh best one:

Oh that didnt come up for me, maybe there are different ones each day. Thats something to look forward to :D

Got a mail on OKC from someone foreign wanting to know what Ireland is like. This seems to be more common than legitimate mails.

Me too! Probably the same account if she's from Brazil. I definitely get more mail from foreigners than locals.

sharper wrote: »
    Me too! Probably the same account if she's from Brazil. I definitely get more mail from foreigners than locals.

That's her alright. Probably copy n' pasted it and sent it to a bunch of Dublin lads. It's annoying - I used to get a wee bit excited when I got a mail on OKC as by and large the profiles were generally quite good and the people on it would usually willing to put effort into their messages. I don't feel it anymore though as these days I'm much more likely to get a "Tell me something about Ireland..." message from a would be tourist.

Elsewhere the answer I gave to the question "What thing or things do you wish you could say on your dating profile, but don't, for fear of appearing nasty/rude/off-putting?"

was

"I'm not the tourist information office, if you're going to Ireland and want recommendations for interesting things to do ask the professionals not a nerd"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭chocolatrose

Honey-ec wrote: »

Yep, been branded a 'snob' apparently because I didn't respond to a photo less person with a message saying 'hi'. Just don't get some people. I replied only to be told 'argh I was only trying to get your attention, it worked though'. Well needless to say don't think he got the right sort of attention as that certainly didn't rouse my interest. Poor fella needs to update his skills me thinks:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

This was touched upon in previous posts. I've been selective sending out messages, no point is wasting time on people I dont fancy. Anyway, after reading down through some great profiles with nice pics, I find they're looking for "friends". What the f*ck is all that about ???

• Advertisement

KTRIC wrote: »
    This was touched upon in previous posts. I've been selective sending out messages, no point is wasting time on people I dont fancy. Anyway, after reading down through some great profiles with nice pics, I find they're looking for "friends". What the f*ck is all that about ???

That's a strange one. I mean it's a dating site like, right??? I was chatting away to this fella, who had up looking to date but then changed to not seeking a relationship...then happened to spot him out recently with a girl I presume can only be his girlfriend I'm guessing. I wouldn't be too happy if I was her and he still on the site even if he is just apparently looking for friends.

You're Joking! :D must check badoo out even just to say I did.

The girl I mentioned a few pages ago who messaged me is up for a phone chat which is promising. Messages have been chatty and engaging, similar interests etc. :)

The various "dating" sites often have options for people looking for friends. I don't see what's wrong with using them. It's great y'all have loads of friends and whatnot but I'm sure it's not the cause for everyone.

On okc at least you limit your search based on what options people selected for "looking for"

sharper wrote: »
    The various "dating" sites often have options for people looking for friends. I don't see what's wrong with using them. It's great y'all have loads of friends and whatnot but I'm sure it's not the cause for everyone.

On okc at least you limit your search based on what options people selected for "looking for"

Yeah I suppose if you can go looking for a potential OH online then why not friends too :)..it never really occurred to me..maybe they need to market the websites differently

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭miec

Chatted away for another few mins and she says she's only looking for friends

Oh yes, just she called me a freak, that I should be happy she even considered me and told no girl would bother with me. All I said was I'm not after friends and good luck

Have to say usually don't take any notice but feeling fierce bad in myself after that

My immediate thought was cowbag but you handled it well.

I have found the level of rudeness, abusive messages, sexually creepy messages and lack of manners has put me completely off online dating. I tried to laugh of the sexually loaded messages, which kind of worked. I shrugged my shoulders at the ignored messages, I ignored the websites for a few days if someone was abusive and tried to ignore the huge number of people who arrange to meet and then don't, in my case men bailing out on me. I have reached the point where the combination of the above is just too much and there comes a point when one has to say ENOUGH. I've reached my enough point.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

You missed teh best one:

I'd reply to that one. It's a quote from Batman. :)

I don't know if I'm arsed logging back onto POF. Just reading the most recent posts in this thread, is it really worth it? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Christie Rainbows

miec wrote: »
    I have found the level of rudeness, abusive messages, sexually creepy messages and lack of manners has put me completely off online dating. I tried to laugh of the sexually loaded messages, which kind of worked. I shrugged my shoulders at the ignored messages, I ignored the websites for a few days if someone was abusive and tried to ignore the huge number of people who arrange to meet and then don't, in my case men bailing out on me. I have reached the point where the combination of the above is just too much and there comes a point when one has to say ENOUGH. I've reached my enough point.

Yeah I'm the exact same miec, I find taking a break and hiding my profile for a while helps.
    IMO the vast majority of posts on these online dating threads concern women (ok, mainly women!) being-
    sent cut and paste mssages which show a complete lack of interest, ignored (after a few conversations)
    or guys not following through on meet ups or just 'disappearing'..
    why is that?

why is that?

If you'd asked me to guess I'd have said the majority of posts concerned men being unable to get any type of response and/or dealing with worryingly crazy people. I suspect there's a good deal of bias involved in terms of the impressions we walk away with from these threads.

I do wonder if the experiences here are typical or just the minority with most having a grand old time and being busy dating awesome people to complain about anything on a thread like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,313 ✭✭✭Ankhyu

The guy who was my most recent date, and whom I really really like, and he seemed to be quite into me too, has just gotten an amazing job offer, and is EMIGRATING in just over a week. I'm so depressed :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 Christie Rainbows

aww Ankhyu, thats a pity :( I guess thats a common enough theme now with the recession and people being unemployed and having to relocate for jobs.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement