Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread 3..**READ 1ST POST Oct 2012**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

hollypink wrote: »
    Why do people add you to their favourites list on POF? No one who has added me has ever contacted me and although 3 have no pics (which might account for it), the rest do. I dont see the point. I also dont see the point of "meet me". I would prefer to get a few messages instead of these "x has added you to their favourites" or "x wants to meet you".

Sometimes I do that when I intend to message them later or have another read off their profile. I don't always remember to get back to them though :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Why do people add you to their favourites list on POF? No one who has added me has ever contacted me and although 3 have no pics (which might account for it), the rest do. I dont see the point. I also dont see the point of "meet me". I would prefer to get a few messages instead of these "x has added you to their favourites" or "x wants to meet you".

Is it not as a 'saved profile'? I might be looking through profiles, see one that i like but just can't get a natural sounding non copy and paste message out at that time for whatever reason, or might be looking on my mobile with it's cracked screen so save it for later when i'm at my pc or laptop....

There are a couple on mine that i haven't gotten around to messaging yet as I've been having regular enough contact with someone who seems like a lot of fun, so even though it's dumb to keep all your eggs in one basket, I'd prefer to be mailing just one person until we've either dated and gone on to more things or dated and decided "yeah.... no, not for me" or just decided to stop mailing as we're in danger of just becoming penpals!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I don't think its harsh , I have come across at least 10 profiles that have been filled in like this

ksjfaksfbajbvkdjbvkjeBVKJVKJDSABVKJDABVSB Mail me if you want to get to know me !
    Was a joke.

More bad profiles than good on there.

'I don't really know what I'm doing on here but sure I'll give it a go!'
    'I like to laugh.'
    'I love my friends and family.'
    'Don't message me if you're a weirdo.'

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

I ignore the meet me thing- dont think any of them have ever contacted me. If I like the look of them I will drop them a message though!

As for favourites - I went through mine last night and deleted most of them - they have never contacted me despite having added me months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,088 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Dunno about anyone else, but the "Meet me" page always gives me the same 2 or 3 people. I just check the page out but don't use the buttons.

As for favourites, if someone interests me, that I intend to message, I just make note of the page URL or username. But problem there is going directly to the profile or searching by username doesn't tell you when they were last online outside of the normal search.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭riveratom

Something I don't get is when someone winks at you without having any photo or even anything resembling a profile.

Maybe they should have a quick OD 101 course that you have to take before you can finish signing up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

riveratom wrote: »
    Something I don't get is when someone winks at you without having any photo or even anything resembling a profile.

Maybe they should have a quick OD 101 course that you have to take before you can finish signing up :)

Bit like those who have 'dont have time to fill this in, will fill it in later'. If you dont have time then why bother doing it - think you are going to miss something amazing if you wait a day or two?? :confused::rolleyes:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

riveratom wrote: »
    Sounds like an excellent money making opportunity there, let's do it :P :pac:

ETA: I think a lot of people who sign up to OD these days are not very.internet savvy or self-aware in the online sense - basically I don't think it even occurs to them that all you know about them is what they have filled into those boxes on the screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭riveratom

miamee wrote: »
    Sounds like an excellent money making opportunity there, let's do it :P :pac:

ETA: I think a lot of people who sign up to OD these days are not very.internet savvy or self-aware in the online sense - basically I don't think it even occurs to them that all you know about them is what they have filled into those boxes on the screen.

Ha indeed, let's do it is right!!

Yeah this is it. I think that sometimes it's easy to assume that everyone is internet-savvy these days, because the internets are everywhere - but it's not actually the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

So it would appear my hunch about BG was bang on the money.

God, I hate being right all the time...

• Advertisement

Honey-ec wrote: »
    So it would appear my hunch about BG was bang on the money.

God, I hate being right all the time...

BG = Butterfly Guy?

Or BG = Brown Gruaig?

BG = Butterfly Guy?

Or BG = Brown Gruaig?

Butterfly Guy, but I reckon the Brown Gruaig was the cause of it!

Butterfly Guy, but I reckon the Brown Gruaig was the cause of it!

Awwww...

The only solace i can offer is that as a bar manager his hours would be anti social in the extreme.

Awwww...

The only solace i can offer is that as a bar manager his hours would be anti social in the extreme.

The other solace is that I'm owed two lunches from friends I bet that he would do a fade :)

The other solace is that I'm owed two lunches from friends I bet that he would do a fade :)

Well there ya have it... 3 solaces. I have no idea what point i was making but there are at least 3 positives from this. Somewhere.

Dovies wrote: »
    Bit like those who have 'dont have time to fill this in, will fill it in later'. If you dont have time then why bother doing it - think you are going to miss something amazing if you wait a day or two?? :confused::rolleyes:

Even better when they fill out part of the profile saying something like "I'm 31 years old. Work in Admin. Will fill the rest out later" then I look at the person's info again where it says they're 32 or 33. Either 1 is filled out wrong or later to her is at least a year, which I personally wouldn't find a good thing in a person. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 187 ✭✭supackofidiots

Having said that I was chatting to a lovely lady off POF and couldn't believe she was chatting to me and hadn't been snapped up already. Turns out she has a kid.....bummer!!

Is this not a bit harsh?

I mean, being online looking for dates is pretty much bottom of the barrel stuff, beggars can hardly be choosers? (Not making an insult at you in case it sounds like that, more of a general comment)

Is this not a bit harsh?

I mean, being online looking for dates is pretty much bottom of the barrel stuff, beggars can hardly be choosers? (Not making an insult at you in case it sounds like that, more of a general comment)

Online looking for dates is bottom of the barrel stuff??

Troll town is that way >>>>>>>>>>>>>>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

Is this not a bit harsh?

on a thread dedicated to online dating, that kind of comment is at best unhelpful and at worst trolling/baiting. Don't post in a similar manner again here or else you will be banned.

Hardly trolling mate, everyone on online dating is on it because mroe conventional methods haven't or don't work for them.

Maybe bottom of the barrel was the wrong term, last chance saloon perhaps more appropriate.

I mean, online dating isn't the first port of call when someone thinks to themselves ''oh I'd liKe to find a partner"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Is this not a bit harsh?

How is it though ? Maybe Armaghmagic isn't ready for children and if that is the case why would he even think about going out with somebody who has children .

Seems he's saying that if someone you absolutely despised or someone who you had no interest in approached you in a bar, you should go for it just because you're desperate and will settle for anything.

Online Dating is just another means of meeting someone that doesn't involve loud music, drunkenness and shouting

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Seems he's saying that if someone you absolutely despised or someone who you had no interest in approached you in a bar, you should go for it just because you're desperate and will settle for anything.

Online Dating is just another means of meeting someone that doesn't involve loud music, drunkenness and shouting

bit of an ott reaction there mate,I've explained myself to sam via pm. report the posts and they'll be dealt with, otherwise leave your bs at the door please.

I made a valid point. You just don't like hearing the truth. my initial point was put across badly, but that doesn't mean it's wrong. I used a poor choice of words I concede.

bit of an ott reaction there mate,I've explained myself to sam via pm. report the posts and they'll be dealt with, otherwise leave your bs at the door please.

I made a valid point. You just don't like hearing the truth. my initial point was put across badly, but that doesn't mean it's wrong. I used a poor choice of words I concede.

How was castors post OTT or BS?

Those of us who use Online Dating are using it as it is a different way of meeting someone.
    You might consider it last chance saloon, but that's your problem, not ours.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Hardly trolling mate, everyone on online dating is on it because mroe conventional methods haven't or don't work for them.

Maybe bottom of the barrel was the wrong term, last chance saloon perhaps more appropriate.

I mean, online dating isn't the first port of call when someone thinks to themselves ''oh I'd liKe to find a partner"

Eh, no it isnt.

Is just another avenue, as not everyone goes out to bars/clubs every weekend to meet people.

Its nothing to do with it not working at all, far from it. Its just another means to meet people.

The same could be said about people who just go to clubs to hook up, you could say it only works for them when they are pissed :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I tend to do a lot better with girls IRL than on OD and yet I use OD... Does that make me more or less desperate? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

Lads, the post has been dealt with, lets move on.

On the original point.

Is it off putting for most of you if a person is a single parent?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

On the original point.

Is it off putting for most of you if a person is a single parent?

Personally, for me it is a bit. I wouldn't be completely put off by it, but it wouldn't be my ideal preference, if that makes sense?

• Advertisement

I split up with my husband because I didn't want kids, I'm sure as hell not taking on someone else's.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement