Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread 3..**READ 1ST POST Oct 2012**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Ah, but she's never looked better. Shame the movie tanked or she may have kept it.
    What was my point? Ah yes, don't be so quick to dismiss it because one date didn't work out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Galvasean wrote: »
    Ah, but she's never looked better. Shame the movie tanked or she may have kept it.
    What was my point? Ah yes, don't be so quick to dismiss it because one date didn't work out.

Oh it's nothing to do with him, believe me. I just don't like it myself.

Joke's on him, though, cause I'll be back blonde in a month or two, whereas he'll always be an asshole :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Joke's on him, though, cause I'll be back blonde in a month or two, whereas he'll always be an asshole :)

How very Churchillian of you :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

On the original point.

Is it off putting for most of you if a person is a single parent?

No. Not in the slightest.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭riveratom

No. Not in the slightest.

I had a couple of great dates and a lot of chats with a girl who is a single parent (still is I presume, since she thought what we had wasn't going anywhere!). At first it didn't bother me in the slightest, as I thought about it a bit more though, I began to see how I mightn't see it as ideal really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,088 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

On the original point.

Personally, maybe I think about it too much, but I would look at it as there being 3 in the relationship. I don't say that from a selfish "I wouldn't get as much time with her" point of view, but if things don't work out, the kid(s) would be affected as well. Not only that but if I had grown attached to the kid it would be harder.

If just meeting people with no kids and things don't work out, only you and him/her are affected.

But I wouldn't rule it out altogether. What happens happens, but I wouldn't set out looking for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

off topic posts deleted. please stick to the topic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

I personally wouldn't date somebody with any children, not even a father who only sees his kids once a month or whatever.

It's probably making me sound a bit judgemental, but I respect parents and don't think there's anything wrong with them. However, I'm 23 and honestly don't want that responsibility. I love kids, but I don't want any, have never wanted any, and while I may want them later on in life, I don't now so I won't date a parent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

haha, reminds me of this video:

Ohh my, what the women have to put up with on a night out ha. Any wonder why so many are trying OD these days.
    hollypink wrote: »
    Why do people add you to their favourites list on POF?

I do that sometimes If I spot an interesting profile just before I log out, so I can contact them later. Or if I'm engaged in a deep conversation with someone else and I don't have the time there and then.

On the other hand, it could be a method the pervs use so they can quick reference their masturbation material later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Wouldn't bother me either. Went out with someone before and the kids were some of the nicest people I've ever had anything to do with.

Went on a date last night. Really enjoyed it. Can't beat someone who's able to talk reams it takes the pressure off. She was pretty funny as well. Glad I stuck out the OD world for a while this was very much worth the hassle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Hardly trolling mate, everyone on online dating is on it because mroe conventional methods haven't or don't work for them.

Maybe bottom of the barrel was the wrong term, last chance saloon perhaps more appropriate.

I mean, online dating isn't the first port of call when someone thinks to themselves ''oh I'd liKe to find a partner"
    no, its just another way of meeting people, its not a replacement

• Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

riveratom wrote: »

I had a couple of great dates and a lot of chats with a girl who is a single parent (still is I presume, since she thought what we had wasn't going anywhere!). At first it didn't bother me in the slightest, as I thought about it a bit more though, I began to see how I mightn't see it as ideal really.

I've been in relationships before where there has been kids, they didn't work out, but that was more me and her than the kids.

I wouldn't have a problem with it at all to be honest. But I'm a little bit older than a lot of the posters here, so women my age without kids aren't that common.

It's a case of me adjusting to realities than actively seeking out women with families.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 BoyJohn129

So any dates arranged for this weekend?

BoyJohn129 wrote: »
    So any dates arranged for this weekend?

Most likely. :o Depends on his work schedule. :o

LyndaMcL wrote: »
    Most likely. :o Depends on his work schedule. :o

Unfortunately I don't!

Unfortunately I don't!

There's always next weekend, or mid-week! :p

LyndaMcL wrote: »
    There's always next weekend, or mid-week! :p

This is true....

You guys were right about my story from last week, unfortunately. :mad:

This is true....

You guys were right about my story from last week, unfortunately. :mad:

Awh shit son. Sorry to hear that, mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Way harsh dude :(

Well, haven't read your profile yet so can't comment. :pac:
    At this stage I am nervous about falling for someone online only for the reason that I would eventually have to tell people how we met.

Having said that I was chatting to a lovely lady off POF and couldn't believe she was chatting to me and hadn't been snapped up already. Turns out she has a kid.....bummer!!

I always say I we met in a pub because technically that's where we met! :D
    On the original point.

At the moment, no I couldn't see myself. I've done it before, twice and it was just to messy. I've also seen my brother left heartbroken when he broke up with his girlfriend who had kids.

Wow - two mails today from lads with great profiles! :eek:

Had a date lined up for tomorrow but has had to be rescheduled....grrr was really looking forward to it and all!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Logged onto OKC, saw someone had rated me highly. Had a look at the profile - cute, intelligent, great taste in coffee, alcohol, music, tv & films and was ticking pretty much every box.

Has a teenage daughter. Shallow of me perhaps but I can't deal with kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

feylya wrote: »
    Logged onto OKC, saw someone had rated me highly. Had a look at the profile - cute, intelligent, great taste in coffee, alcohol, music, tv & films and was ticking pretty much every box.

i wouldnt let a child that might be leaving the nest in near future put you off giving someone at least a chance, least it means they can head out when they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Armaghmagic

feylya wrote: »

To be honest I couldn't deal with kids myself.

P.S have no dates for the foreseeable.....very barren spell of late unfortunately!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

manafana wrote: »
    i wouldnt let a child that might be leaving the nest in near future put you off giving someone at least a chance, least it means they can head out when they want.

Lets face it right now most teenagers in Ireland won't be moving out too quickly .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    On the other hand, it could be a method the pervs use so they can quick reference their masturbation material later.

:eek::eek: I dont think my pics would be much good for that, unless the one where Im wearing a wetsuit...:P

I got a message earlier from someone I already went on a date with, earlier this year I think. He clearly doesnt remember me so either I have changed a bit in my profile pics (Ive lost some weight) or I didnt make much of an impression :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

I once dated a girl who had a kid. It didn't bother me at first, but it did become a bit awkward after a while. I can understand why a lot of people would be put off by it, but if I really like a girl I will try and compromise. It's always going to be difficult to find someone who ticks every single box.

I don't know about the guys, but there are a lot of single mums on POF - some of whom are very attractive. I just don't like it when their profile is full of photos of their kids. I would find that a bigger turn off.

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    I once dated a girl who had a kid. It didn't bother me at first, but it did become a bit awkward after a while. I can understand why a lot of people would be put off by it, but if I really like a girl I will try and compromise. It's always going to be difficult to find someone who ticks every single box.

I don't know about the guys, but there are a lot of single mums on POF - some of whom are very attractive. I just don't like it when their profile is full of photos of their kids. I would find that a bigger turn off.

I think in a sense you would almost be competing for their attention / affections, so it could get awkward all round. I was actually on a date with a girl who was in touch with her child on the phone for a time during the date...only for a very short time but still...

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

hollypink wrote: »
    :eek::eek: I dont think my pics would be much good for that, unless the one where Im wearing a wetsuit...:P

I got a message earlier from someone I already went on a date with, earlier this year I think. He clearly doesnt remember me so either I have changed a bit in my profile pics (Ive lost some weight) or I didnt make much of an impression :o

That's gas!!

Did you mail him back??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

Larianne wrote: »
    That's gas!!

Did you mail him back??

No, I think I would prefer not to. It wasnt a great date! (nice enough guy though)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Spotted a good profile there, fired off an email and got one straight back, including his number :D

I realise how pathetic that sounds but this is good going for me, lol.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement