Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread 3..**READ 1ST POST Oct 2012**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 chakasklap

hollypink wrote: »
    Can I get some advice from you guys? Is 10 years too much of an age gap do you think? And if an older (late thirties) woman is contacted by a guy in his late twenties, is there a good chance he is looking for NSA? Its been fun exchanging messages and he seems like a nice, interesting guy but I am a bit wary.

Gotta judge everyone on their own merits - wouldn't be right to prejudge him as someone looking for NSA.

As for age difference, that's different for everyone. I've made the mistake of misjudging it before - got chatting and doubted I was a match with one particular person for a few reasons, one of them was me being 9 years older, but she asked to meet - while I wouldn't call it a date, it was good for both of us to head out.

I was right to have my doubts, but the difference was between 21 and 30. I'm sure I bored her a bit, there were times when I felt worlds apart from how she looked at things.

But by your late twenties your worldview is pretty well defined - you've started to commit to knowing which choices are the best for you rather than still working things out. So the same age gap between 30 and 39 or whatever would probably be much less of an dealbreaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Weird one. Was on stage last night and got that OKC *buzz* "x is in your area". Must mail her and ask her if she enjpyed the gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

Galvasean wrote: »
    Weird one. Was on stage last night and got that OKC *buzz* "x is in your area". Must mail her and ask her if she enjpyed the gig.

Are you in contact with her?

I wouldn't use a dating site app. I wouldn't like be tracked like that. And as a woman I certainly wouldn't feel safe.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

mood wrote: »

I wouldn't use a dating site app. I wouldn't like be tracked like that. And as a woman I certainly wouldn't feel safe.
    It pops up at the oddest of times, e.g. on the bus home :D So I have it turned off!

Keep meaning to turn it off as it's a little strange. Could certainly see such a thing being used for nefarious purposes. How do you turn it off anyhow?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

You can turn the location setting off on the mobile app so it's safe enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

This exists!? Wow that's quite invasive,

Why would anyone what to use it anyway? Very odd.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Keep meaning to turn it off as it's a little strange. Could certainly see such a thing being used for nefarious purposes. How do you turn it off anyhow?
    On the app just go to Settings, then Locations to turn it off. The 'Locations-let's get started' is always the default opening page on the app once turned off which is annoying but worth it not to have a stranger seeking you out in a crowd, lol.

Cheers. I can imagine people doing their Xmas shopping only to have some guy walk up to the and hand them a picture of a penis...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper

Cheers. I can imagine people doing their Xmas shopping only to have some guy walk up to the and hand them a picture of a penis...

No need for a picture when you're standing right next to them!

I think it's interesting to see people's reactions to the okc app here. I do think it's worth remembering that okc are an American company and America has a fairly well developed dating culture, something that's lacking here. It's reasonably acceptable there to walk upto a stranger in public, have a conversation and organise a date. The okc app obviously fits pretty well into that since it helps to match up available people in the same physical location.

Most of the people here seem a bit shocked and perturbed they might have to face a potential date while doing their shopping or waiting for the bus.

As for me, the only bad outcome I can imagine is the notification going off at work and finding you've been matched with someone in your office. Awkward!

Imagine you are a women, you have the app on while walking home after work on a dark night and you are unlucky enough for a man approach you after getting an alert you are on the same street. Any woman would be totally freaked out. Even if the man is very nice and polite it is not something I want to experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Imagine you are a women, you have the app on while walking home after work on a dark night and you are unlucky enough for a man approach you after getting an alert you are on the same street. Any woman would be totally freaked out. Even if the man is very nice and polite it is not something I want to experience.

I must think that I'm invincible or something. My first thought about this app was - Oh God, what if I'm running to/from work? HE CAN'T SEE ME WITHOUT MAKE UP. :eek::eek::eek:

Clearly personal safety isn't a high concern of mine. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭LittleFox

Does anyone know of a good Chinese or Italian restaurant in town? I've a first date tomorrow, he's coming up from Galway so he's asked me to pick where to go :)

LittleFox wrote: »
    Does anyone know of a good Chinese or Italian restaurant in town? I've a first date tomorrow, he's coming up from Galway so he's asked me to pick where to go :)

That Chinese place next to The Laughter Lounge is meant to be great. Jimmy Cheung's I think it's called.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

That Chinese place next to The Laughter Lounge is meant to be great. Jimmy Cheung's I think it's called.

I wouldn't call it more than 'all right.' Probably a good place for a first date though, casual, chatty atmosphere and the food's all right, nothing terrible anyway. :)

Saba. It's Thai not Chinese and sooooo much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭DerekDGoldfish

LittleFox wrote: »

Toscana on dame st is a nice reasonably priced Italian resturaunt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

http://www.yamamorisushi.ie

Sushi place on the North Quays.

It's a little different to most meals out so interesting and the food is great
    I know you asked for Chinese but I'm just giving another option

I'd then head for cocktails in the Morrison hotel around the corner, beautiful hotel

Sure if plans change ye can get the Luas, it's next door

Decent plan for a date I think :)

Thank you for all the suggestions they are great plenty to chose from now depending where we end up. Date wasn't meant to be until Wednesday week when he was up for a gig but after chatting more he didn't want to wait that long so brought it forward so fingers crossed that's a good sign :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Do many people here go to dinner on the first date? I'd find it quite awkward. What if there is zero attraction or they are not how they seemed to be online? There would be no escape!

Dunno about dinner, but I've gotten lunch a couple of times. Once it's nothing fancy (ie:a 3 courser or anything) what harm? You're hardly going to be more than an hour. It's probably better than those 'wham bam thank you mam' 20 minute coffee dates...

Dunno about dinner, but I've gotten lunch a couple of times. Once it's nothing fancy (ie:a 3 courser or anything) what harm? You're hardly going to be more than an hour. It's probably better than those 'wham bam thank you mam' 20 minute coffee dates...

Yes. Even on a date where I wanted to leave as quick as possible I still stayed an hour to finish my drink. I would have felt very rude to leave earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

I wouldn't go to dinner on a first date, too hard to get away if its awarkward or whatever. I also don't like eating in front of people I don't know.

I had one first date that went dinner, the zoo and then coffee after , I've had just coffee, I've had drinks, movie and then drinks, doesn't bother me what we do, I've never had an awkward date thank god.
    I'm a chatty person and have no trouble chatting to people I don't know. He's coming all the way from Galway so I wouldn't want to just arrange a coffee, if things don't work out its the least I can do to make sure he goes home with a full stomach
    :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Spotted a lovely lady I chatted to before on one site. Got talking again and we're meeting for a coffee tomorrow evening.

I've decided to cut the chat and messaging down to a minimum from now on as it gets you no where.

Well...just had a phone chat with yer man who gave me his number on Thursday. His first question was how am I finding the site, we chatted for about two mins then he asked me would I fancy meeting some time for a coffee and chat. He lives about a half hour drive from me and wants me to go out there as he is recovering from an op. Hmm, bit of a wait and see if I hear from him kind of thing I reckon. I am no wiser after our 4 and a half minute phone call!

Still...tis more action than I've had in a while on POF :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 187 ✭✭supackofidiots

miamee wrote: »
    Well...just had a phone chat with yer man who gave me his number on Thursday. His first question was how am I finding the site, we chatted for about two mins then he asked me would I fancy meeting some time for a coffee and chat. He lives about a half hour drive from me and wants me to go out there as he is recovering from an op. Hmm, bit of a wait and see if I hear from him kind of thing I reckon. I am no wiser after our 4 and a half minute phone call!

Still...tis more action than I've had in a while on POF :D

go for it, arrange to go for a drink tonight sure. nothing to lose.

go for it, arrange to go for a drink tonight sure. nothing to lose.
    Ah no, too late now, will organise for next week depending on communication during the week :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭Tigger99

KTRIC wrote: »
    Spotted a lovely lady I chatted to before on one site. Got talking again and we're meeting for a coffee tomorrow evening.

I've decided to cut the chat and messaging down to a minimum from now on as it gets you no where.

Mmm what you said about cutting the chat to a minimum is interesting. A guy got chatting to me yesterday and 3 messages and 24hrs later he's asked me out. Dunno it just feels too quick, or am I being mental? Sure the whole point is to meet someone I suppose, but still....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement