Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread 3..**READ 1ST POST Oct 2012**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭ladylost

Tigger99 wrote: »
    Mmm what you said about cutting the chat to a minimum is interesting. A guy got chatting to me yesterday and 3 messages and 24hrs later he's asked me out. Dunno it just feels too quick, or am I being mental? Sure the whole point is to meet someone I suppose, but still....
    Think that's a little quick but it is whatever you are comfortable with really.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭ladylost

I've just deleted my POF account. Had enough. Seem to be chatting to nothing but messers at the moment. Guys asking if I'm free for a date and then not acknowledging when I suggest a day. Guys I met previously coming back for round 2 and some guy today who wanted a date after nothing more than a hello message. I'm getting too old and tired for it. Maybe in the new year when I realise my social life is non existent I might rejoin!! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭magneticimpulse

LittleFox wrote: »
    Does anyone know of a good Chinese or Italian restaurant in town? I've a first date tomorrow, he's coming up from Galway so he's asked me to pick where to go :)
    Hope it's not the same coming up to meet me from galway

Larianne wrote: »
    Do many people here go to dinner on the first date? I'd find it quite awkward. What if there is zero attraction or they are not how they seemed to be online? There would be no escape!
    Had dinner tonight on
    1st date....and that normally happens with me. My dates usually start with let's have coffee and 10 hours later...still going well

Its never planned thou. Just the date so well that it comes a time when you need to eat. Thou I think it's my personality as I've never had a problem on a first date. I can't imagine having to make an excuse to leave but all the dates I've been on have said they have had terrible first dates with other people.

miamee wrote: »
    Well...just had a phone chat with yer man who gave me his number on Thursday. His first question was how am I finding the site, we chatted for about two mins then he asked me would I fancy meeting some time for a coffee and chat. He lives about a half hour drive from me and wants me to go out there as he is recovering from an op. Hmm, bit of a wait and see if I hear from him kind of thing I reckon. I am no wiser after our 4 and a half minute phone call!

Still...tis more action than I've had in a while on POF :D
    Usually heading out to a guys place means a shag on the 1st or 2nd date. If that's all your looking for go for it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Mmm what you said about cutting the chat to a minimum is interesting. A guy got chatting to me yesterday and 3 messages and 24hrs later he's asked me out. Dunno it just feels too quick, or am I being mental? Sure the whole point is to meet someone I suppose, but still....

i don't see why not to be honest tigger. You're chatting to the guy, so obviously you find him a bit attractive etc.

I'd say go for it, it's better to make a mistake by meeting someone and ruling them out than not meeting someone and ruing the missed opportunity

3 messages is a bit quick, but as you said,the point is to meet someone....

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Usually heading out to a guys place means a shag on the 1st or 2nd date. If that's all your looking for go for it
    Oh no, he just can't drive at the moment so wants me to go to his town. Absolutely not in the market for a ONS!

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭LittleFox

Hope it's not the same coming up to meet me from galway
    I highly doubt it , days pretty much planned out so wouldn't have time to meet two people today

I highly doubt it , days pretty much planned out so wouldn't have time to meet two people today

i'm sorry, but now i have a mental image of you and magnetic standing about 6 feet apart and pulling and dragging this lad between you!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Good luck! I hope it's a lovely date! :)

• Advertisement

i'm sorry, but now i have a mental image of you and magnetic standing about 6 feet apart and pulling and dragging this lad between you!! :D
    Ha ha ha what a sight that would be. :D

LyndaMcL wrote: »

Good luck! I hope it's a lovely date! :)
    Thank you :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 187 ✭✭supackofidiots

what time's kick off little fox?

what time's kick off little fox?
    He's getting the 2.15 bus up so meeting him off the bus at 5 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

sharper wrote: »
    No need for a picture when you're standing right next to them!

I think it's interesting to see people's reactions to the okc app here. I do think it's worth remembering that okc are an American company and America has a fairly well developed dating culture, something that's lacking here. It's reasonably acceptable there to walk upto a stranger in public, have a conversation and organise a date. The okc app obviously fits pretty well into that since it helps to match up available people in the same physical location.

Most of the people here seem a bit shocked and perturbed they might have to face a potential date while doing their shopping or waiting for the bus.

As for me, the only bad outcome I can imagine is the notification going off at work and finding you've been matched with someone in your office. Awkward!

Yeah, I don't really understand the fear around it, tbh. If a man has nefarious (to quote another poster) intentions and plans to act on them, he'll do so regardless of the existence of a dating app. Likewise, a perfectly normal man isn't going to turn into Norman Bates just because he's been notified there's a potential match in the area.

I find the paranoia a little odd, I have to admit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Tell me this, when's your date ? :eek:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I wouldn't say I am paranoid about it, I just have a time and a place for things. If someone wanted to approach me based on the fact I had popped up on his OKC app as being nearby that might be ok if I was out in a bar with friends. But I could just as easily be on a date, or out shopping with my mother, or out for the day with my dad. I'd just rather be in control of when I am 'online dating' and when I am not if that makes sense?

I am never going to approach someone based on the app telling me he is nearby so I don['t really see the benefits of it to be honest, not for me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Yeah, I don't really understand the fear around it, tbh. If a man has nefarious (to quote another poster) intentions and plans to act on them, he'll do so regardless of the existence of a dating app. Likewise, a perfectly normal man isn't going to turn into Norman Bates just because he's been notified there's a potential match in the area.

I find the paranoia a little odd, I have to admit.

Based on the many borderline psychotic mails a lot of girls have reposted here, I don't like the idea of such mentally maladjusted people being alerted to the nearby presence of a girl they sent abusive emails to after they didn't reply to their initial contact.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,088 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Galvasean wrote: »
    Based on the many borderline psychotic mails a lot of girls have reposted here, I don't like the idea of such mentally maladjusted people being alerted to the nearby presence of a girl they sent abusive emails to after they didn't reply to their initial contact.

Yeah but how many of those ones who send abusive mails are only doing it because they have the computer and internet between them. Probably s**t themselves if found out a real woman was near them

Galvasean wrote: »

I guarantee you all of those keyboard warriors would run a mile at the thought of actually confronting someone they'd abused online.

Conversely, you could argue that they should be afraid of being bawled out of it in public by someone they'd sent abusive emails to who's just been notified they're in the area.

If people aren't comfortable with it, fair enough, switch it off, I just find the "it's so sinister!" undertone a little odd. Plus, I have my doubts about it's accuracy. Twice in one weekend it notified me that the same person was nearby. I ended up going on a date with him a few weeks later and he wasn't anywhere near either of the places when I got the notifications.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Yeah but how many of those ones who send abusive mails are only doing it because they have the computer and internet between them. Probably s**t themselves if found out a real woman was near them

I've no intention to find out and reporting back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭Tigger99

KTRIC wrote: »
    Tell me this, when's your date ? :eek:

Ha, its not tomorrow, so you are ok, its not you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

Honey-ec wrote: »
    I guarantee you all of those keyboard warriors would run a mile at the thought of actually confronting someone they'd abused online.

Conversely, you could argue that they should be afraid of being bawled out of it in public by someone they'd sent abusive emails to who's just been notified they're in the area.

If people aren't comfortable with it, fair enough, switch it off, I just find the "it's so sinister!" undertone a little odd. Plus, I have my doubts about it's accuracy. Twice in one weekend it notified me that the same person was nearby. I ended up going on a date with him a few weeks later and he wasn't anywhere near either of the places when I got the notifications.

Possibly.

But in the last week a woman on the thread said she got a message form an ex. He had previously stalked her after their 5 year relationship ended. I really don't think it would be safe for him to get alerted if she was in his area!

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭riveratom

I never got the appeal of those location alert / update services. I like people not knowing where I am when I'm out and about :)

riveratom wrote: »
    I never got the appeal of those location alert / update services. I like people not knowing where I am when I'm out and about :)

makes stalking them much easier!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Ive a date with a guy from POF tomorrow, really looking forward to it as we have spoken on the phone already and he sounds really nice, plus his pics look nice too, so fingers crossed!! He lives close by too which is great.

Ha, its not tomorrow, so you are ok, its not you :)

Good luck with it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Anybody else find themselves most frequently put off by the music people list? After i've discarded the Florence & The Machine fans and the people who stopped listening to anything new after they turned 16 it's slim pickings!

Anybody else find themselves most frequently put off by the music people list? After i've discarded the Florence & The Machine fans and the people who stopped listening to anything new after they turned 16 it's slim pickings!

hehe...

No. Someone's music taste would be WAAAAAAY down my list of priorities.

• Advertisement

mood wrote: »
    Possibly.

But in the last week a woman on the thread said she got a message form an ex. He had previously stalked her after their 5 year relationship ended. I really don't think it would be safe for him to get alerted if she was in his area!

If he's that hell-bent on stalking her, chances are he already knows when she's in the area.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement