Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread 3..**READ 1ST POST Oct 2012**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Fierce quiet in here lately. Are we all having a dry patch? I got told I was "too old" by a guy I messaged last night. He's two years younger than me.

I laughed and all.

Dry patch? I'm in a freakin' desert!!

Us blokes are funny. We mostly seem to go for women out own age or younger.

Think there was a few dates for people from here over the last few days though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

Been on OKC for a good while but decided to port over to POF as well.

Received a dozen "meet me's" in two days but only one mail. People are silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭LittleFox

Does anyone else find themselves second guessing themselves? It seems no matter how well a date goes I still find myself waiting for the other shoe to drop for the guy, that I'm not really what he wants. It's headwrecking

• Registered Users Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

Fierce quiet in here lately. Are we all having a dry patch? I got told I was "too old" by a guy I messaged last night. He's two years younger than me.

I laughed and all.

I've logged off PoF and OKC for December. I've been reading the thread but not really contributing.

The age thing is funny. I was told a few weeks ago I was too old for a man 7 years older than me. It seems a lot if men don't like to date women their own age or older. Why is that? Can the good men of this thread shed some light on it.

LittleFox wrote: »
    Does anyone else find themselves second guessing themselves? It seems no matter how well a date goes I still find myself waiting for the other shoe to drop for the guy, that I'm not really what he wants. It's headwrecking

Not following you.

Do you mean that you expect Galway Guy to ring you up and say "see ya"?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I've logged off PoF and OKC for December. I've been reading the thread but not really contributing.

The age thing is funny. I was told a few weeks ago I was too old for a man 7 years older than me. It seems a lot if men don't like to date women their own age or older. Why is that? Can the good men of this thread shed some light on it.

I am reading but have no contribution to make much at the moment either. I think it might be refreshing to delete the profiles and start again if/when I am ready in the new year :)
    I'm delighted to see that a few people are still going on dates though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

I honestly have no idea why , to me age is only a number and its all about chemistry / how you get on . I would rather date somebody 10 years older then me somebody who is a few years younger that will lead to nowhere .

I honestly don't know. I've always been attracted to younger women.

Not following you.

Do you mean that you expect Galway Guy to ring you up and say "see ya"?
    To be honest yeah I do, I don't know why, it went very well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

It's the first time it's happened to me; my experience so far has been the direct opposite, I have to say - I get bombarded with messages from guys in their 20s.

Just thought it was funny - two whole years in the difference!

• Advertisement

To be honest yeah I do, I don't know why, it went very well.

Sometimes it's better to be a little bit hesitant and expecting some bad news at the start.
    Just don't let it dictate how things progress between you two!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 chakasklap

As he's a guy he'll probably function a lot better with direct communication. If you want to know if it's friends/more than friends - ask him.
    It seems a lot if men don't like to date women their own age or older. Why is that? Can the good men of this thread shed some light on it.

Could be lots of things - could be psychology, guy not wanting an older/superior woman (extra years could mean career advancement - some guys not cool with being second place breadwinner). Could be misinterpreted - easy to lie about age on OD - guys could be looking at age and seeing (age+3). Could be ignorance - the attitude that "I've never dated older, why would I like that?" - which is a self-inflicted punishment more than a perspective.

Or maybe it's just easier than saying we're not a match/I don't fancy you/you're vacuous.

Yeah thanks I think I will relax on contact and see if he initiates it. I don't want to come across as pushy

chakasklap wrote: »

As he's a guy he'll probably function a lot better with direct communication. If you want to know if it's friends/more than friends - ask him.

Well he said he liked me, he's a dj so made two CDs of music I like and downloaded and burned a tv series I like onto disks for me. He's back up next Wed but coming up with the lads so won't see him that night but said he would stick around on Thursday to meet up. Guess I will just have to relax

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Fierce quiet in here lately. Are we all having a dry patch?
    I've logged off PoF and OKC for December.

Personally. I'm gonna log off 'til new year. It's hard enough to get in regular contact with a girl on OD these days without the added Xmas busyness/stress. I'd imagine it will be hard enought to organise dates between now and Dece,ber 25th. Not to mention most places will be jammers.

It seems a lot if men don't like to date women their own age or older. Why is that? Can the good men of this thread shed some light on it.

Well, the last two girlfriends I had were at least 3 years older than me, so I'm probably not the bst guy to ask.
    Conversely, I have noticed that most girls seem to leave alot of leeway for dating older guys, but not much in terms of younger (I've been told I'm 'too young' by girls the same age as me).
    It just seems to be an old fashioned kind of thing, where the guy is typically older. I think it's some sort of traditional 'breadwinner' thing. A lot of guys can be insecure about their percieed 'mailiness', and being seen to be the one 'bringing home the bacon' is a priority for them.

I dunno where this traditional breadwinner stuff or proof of maleness stuff is coming from.

In my case I've just always been more attracted to slightly younger women.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 chakasklap

chakasklap wrote: »
    Guess I will just have to relax

All good signs - understandable to have a bit of nervous tension, and all the better not to count on things before they come true. But you know you clicked (music taste, comfortable date), he's told you he'll be around again. So don't worry too much about the situation - it's on course for wherever it's heading.

I take back the earlier advice, no need to ask him. You'll see him again and be able to tell what's what.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭riveratom

I dunno where this traditional breadwinner stuff or proof of maleness stuff is coming from.

In my case I've just always been more attracted to slightly younger women.

I think a lot of it is down to good old fashioned biology / primal instinct. Younger women being seen as more fertile and all that.

I defo have a preference for someone younger than me...

That's not to say I'd rule out anyone based on age though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

I've actually found I'm attracted to girls the same age as or slightly older than me.

I'm 26, the youngest I dated in the last while was 24, I dated a good few girls who were 28 and 30... the girl I'm seeing right now is 26, but in general I appreciate the maturity and self-assurance that comes with girls (ladies, women?!) in their late 20's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

I laughed and all.

I've got a potential date coming up with the much younger guy I mentioned previously; at least I've tentatively said yes because well..life is short and it's only one date. I've been messaging 3 guys recently (which for me is a lot!). One seems rather humourless, the second is a bit older and lives down the country. Funnily enough given the discussion in the last few posts on the thread about age, the only one I've enjoyed messaging is the younger guy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

hollypink wrote: »
    I've got a potential date coming up with the much younger guy I mentioned previously; at least I've tentatively said yes because well..life is short and it's only one date. I've been messaging 3 guys recently (which for me is a lot!). One seems rather humourless, the second is a bit older and lives down the country. Funnily enough given the discussion in the last few posts on the thread about age, the only one I've enjoyed messaging is the younger guy.

Well you must be doing something good if your messing three people, keep up the good work !!

I've actually found I'm attracted to girls the same age as or slightly older than me.

I'm 26, the youngest I dated in the last while was 24, I dated a good few girls who were 28 and 30... the girl I'm seeing right now is 26, but in general I appreciate the maturity and self-assurance that comes with girls (ladies, women?!) in their late 20's.

Yup, I'd be similar only going the opposite way - I'd be more attracted to girls the same age or slightly younger. I'm early 30s and my ideal range would be around 27-31.

riveratom wrote: »

Yup, I'd be similar only going the opposite way - I'd be more attracted to girls the same age or slightly younger. I'm early 30s and my ideal range would be around 27-31.

I'm 37 and my ideal age range would be anywhere from 32 to 37.

That range gets progressively wider as the years advance!! :D

As far as I remember, my search is 20-30, which is nice and varied IMO (I'm 26).

Ah yeah no my actual range is actually 23-31, 27-31 is just prob the ideal :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

I'm 37 and my ideal age range would be anywhere from 32 to 37.

That range gets progressively wider as the years advance!! :D

Would you say you're typical of men your age? I'm 41 and would message men between the ages of 35-48. The reason I have that age limit is due to the fact my last 3 relationship have been with younger men. So did I just happen to meet 3 unusual men who didn't have an age "thing".

I only ask because I've been in those relationship for the last ten years or so and maybe I should change my thinking in terms of OD.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭Tigger99

I'm early 30's and id be looking at 2/3 years younger & up to 10 years older. I def prefer an older guy, dunno why.

I've noticed guys messaging me even tho im a few years older than their specified age range, which is interesting considering I'm usually their age.

So basically it depends on the person i suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

I seem to have better luck with the older ladies myself. The 2 girls I've met so far from OD were a few years older.

Just a thing which may or may not apply; but in terms of OD you tend to get a lot of lads looking for the ride on it, so they may in fact be messaging older women due to the 'fact' that they put out quicker.

• Advertisement

Would you say you're typical of men your age? I'm 41 and would message men between the ages of 35-48. The reason I have that age limit is due to the fact my last 3 relationship have been with younger men. So did I just happen to meet 3 unusual men who didn't have an age "thing".

I only ask because I've been in those relationship for the last ten years or so and maybe I should change my thinking in terms of OD.

I dunno. All of my friends are either married or in long term commited relationships (coincidently with younger women) so I don't have any term of reference to say that I'm typical or atypical.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement