Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread 3..**READ 1ST POST Oct 2012**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Tigger99 wrote: »
    I'm early 30's and id be looking at 2/3 years younger & up to 10 years older. I def prefer an older guy, dunno why.

I've noticed guys messaging me even tho im a few years older than their specified age range, which is interesting considering I'm usually their age.

So basically it depends on the person i suppose.

I wouldn't have a problem with messaging someone my own age, just there aren't that many single women on the sites who are 37. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭riveratom

Would you say you're typical of men your age? I'm 41 and would message men between the ages of 35-48. The reason I have that age limit is due to the fact my last 3 relationship have been with younger men. So did I just happen to meet 3 unusual men who didn't have an age "thing".

I only ask because I've been in those relationship for the last ten years or so and maybe I should change my thinking in terms of OD.

I wouldn't say there's a 'typical' in all of this, I would say there would be few guys who would blanket rule out someone based on their age, at least not if the age difference wasn't that big. Think it comes down to attraction ultimately!

riveratom wrote: »

I wouldn't say there's a 'typical' in all of this, I would say there would be few guys who would blanket rule out someone based on their age, at least not if the age difference wasn't that big. Think it comes down to attraction ultimately!

I'd agree with this.

I don't have a blanket rule, if an attractive (to me, cos one mans goose is another mans pigeon) 40 yr old woman started messaging me I'd certainly not rule her out based purely on her age.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭Tigger99

Ha, a cougar dating website is being advertised on this page now. How apt!

Tigger99 wrote: »
    Ha, a cougar dating website is being advertised on this page now. How apt!

Thank god for ad blocker!! Hehehehe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

riveratom wrote: »

I know there's no "typical" just trying to get a different perspective on things. Some men in the lower age range have replied but most haven't. I think the think is in RL I can pass for 3/4 years younger then I am but I hate having my photo taken so they are probably not the best. And as we know photos can play a big part in OD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

Galvasean wrote: »
    Just a thing which may or may not apply; but in terms of OD you tend to get a lot of lads looking for the ride on it, so they may in fact be messaging older women due to the 'fact' that they put out quicker.

How do you know they put out quicker? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    How do you know they put out quicker? :)

I said 'fact' in adverted commas because it's one of those oft-repeated stereotypes that passes for common knowledge these days.

I said 'fact' in adverted commas because it's one of those oft-repeated stereotypes that passes for common knowledge these days.

Ahh I see, I thought you were speaking from personal experience. The cougars are popular these days all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

Personally. I'm gonna log off 'til new year. It's hard enough to get in regular contact with a girl on OD these days without the added Xmas busyness/stress. I'd imagine it will be hard enought to organise dates between now and Dece,ber 25th. Not to mention most places will be jammers.

Well, the last two girlfriends I had were at least 3 years older than me, so I'm probably not the bst guy to ask.
    Conversely, I have noticed that most girls seem to leave alot of leeway for dating older guys, but not much in terms of younger (I've been told I'm 'too young' by girls the same age as me).
    It just seems to be an old fashioned kind of thing, where the guy is typically older. I think it's some sort of traditional 'breadwinner' thing. A lot of guys can be insecure about their percieed 'mailiness', and being seen to be the one 'bringing home the bacon' is a priority for them.

Really? In the majority of longterm couples I know the woman earns more!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

Can I ask, how old does a lady have to be to be a cougar or is it the age of the men she pursues? I'm a bit worried being a bit of an oul wan meself.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

The cougars are popular these days all the same.

I think part of the attraction/stereotype is that they tend to have their own home (ie: no parents to avoid), so sexy time is an easier prospect all 'round.

I fear I'm straying slightly off topic, so Ill say this: It's been 3 days snce I last logged on (starting to sond like AA here..) and I honestly can't say I've missed it much.

I prefer guy around my own age. I've never been attracted to a guy more than 5 years older and would have not so much in common either. I also noticed I get messaged mostly but guys close to my age on the site with only a few young lad and aul fellas chancing their arm.

I fear I'm straying slightly off topic, so Ill say this: It's been 3 days snce I last logged on (starting to sond like AA here..) and I honestly can't say I've missed it much.

I haven't been on it in over a week. I'm going to wait till the new year before I get back into it. People will be getting busy coming up to Christmas (I know I am anyway).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭sffc

"Cougarlife" ???? Not much life - none of them look much more than 30 !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

i just get ads for electricty and sports.

The advantage of online dating - you know that the person is single (hopefully!). I just can't read men any more!

mood wrote: »
    The advantage of online dating - you know that the person is single (hopefully!). I just can't read men any more!

That's true. The amount of times I've tried to approach women in bars or clubs only to be interrupted by a menacing boyfriend. Feck that.

And as soon as I comment about being in a dating desert since October I end up with a first date for Friday!

That's true. The amount of times I've tried to approach women in bars or clubs only to be interrupted by a menacing boyfriend. Feck that.

I know! I was starting to think an acquaintance might like me. I only meet him a few weeks ago through work so didn't know if he was single or not. He mentioned his girlfriend this evening for the first time. I really got that one wrong!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭magneticimpulse

Personally. I'm gonna log off 'til new year. It's hard enough to get in regular contact with a girl on OD these days without the added Xmas busyness/stress. I'd imagine it will be hard enought to organise dates between now and Dece,ber 25th. Not to mention most places will be jammers.

Well, the last two girlfriends I had were at least 3 years older than me, so I'm probably not the bst guy to ask.
    Conversely, I have noticed that most girls seem to leave alot of leeway for dating older guys, but not much in terms of younger (I've been told I'm 'too young' by girls the same age as me).
    It just seems to be an old fashioned kind of thing, where the guy is typically older. I think it's some sort of traditional 'breadwinner' thing. A lot of guys can be insecure about their percieed 'mailiness', and being seen to be the one 'bringing home the bacon' is a priority for them.
    I'm very open to dating younger guys...up to about 7 years younger but only 2 or 3 years older. The reason is not so much Age difference but stage in my life...I find I've more in common with younger people than people who are the same age as me. Also I look 7 years younger than my actual age. Although I got asked for over 18 ID a few weeks ago As they thought I was 15 years younger than my real age...that night I snogged a 22 year old and he thought he was much older than me :)

Also I'd imagine men die before women, so I want a young man looking after me in my old age :)

I'm arranging lots of dates over Christmas...what else is there to do besides watch same movies over and over? Would be so boring sitting in for 2 weeks...at that rate I should have booked a holiday to new Zealand

I've actually found I'm attracted to girls the same age as or slightly older than me.

I'm 26, the youngest I dated in the last while was 24, I dated a good few girls who were 28 and 30... the girl I'm seeing right now is 26, but in general I appreciate the maturity and self-assurance that comes with girls (ladies, women?!) in their late 20's.

2 years age difference is nothing!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

With regards to age differences, I'd like to think I'm fairly open about age. I'm nearly 24. I'd date anyone up to about 32/33, but to be honest, I've never dated anyone more than 3 years younger than me. I have no problem with younger guys (once we're both adults, who cares? :) ), but I've found that the few men I've dated who were younger than me were also extremely immature. I'm not saying that I'm ridiculously mature, I still go out on mad nights out and what not, but in terms of life experience and perhaps emotional maturity, I seem to have more in common with people in their late 20s/early 30s. Guy I'm going on date with in a week or two is six years older than me, but on the same wavelength, so it's all good.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Armaghmagic

Was chatting to a girl off POF. Could string a sentence together, had all the right boxes ticked and drop dead gorgeous. Couldnt believe she was chatting to me and then I noticed I had no photos displayed.

So I sent a few to her and.......NOTHING!! Really is a massive kick when that happens :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Erper

im not sure i do understand this...
    but how and where do you post your info to meet someone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Erper wrote: »
    im not sure i do understand this...
    but how and where do you post your info to meet someone

This isn't a place to meet people. It's a thread to talk about online dating sites like Plenty of Fish, OkCupid, Tagged, Smooch, E-Harmony and all the other dating sites out there.

It's to talk about our experiences with online dating sites and get advice/opinions/share funny stories, not for picking up dates. :)

I'm very open to dating younger guys...up to about 7 years younger but only 2 or 3 years older. The reason is not so much Age difference but stage in my life...I find I've more in common with younger people than people who are the same age as me. Also I look 7 years younger than my actual age. Although I got asked for over 18 ID a few weeks ago As they thought I was 15 years younger than my real age...that night I snogged a 22 year old and he thought he was much older than me :)

Also I'd imagine men die before women,
    so I want a young man looking after me in my old age :)

I'm arranging lots of dates over Christmas...what else is there to do besides watch same movies over and over? Would be so boring sitting in for 2 weeks...at that rate I should have booked a holiday to new Zealand

Normally that's through choice!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

I look 7 years younger than my actual age.

That's very specific!

My husband was younger than me. And I earned more than him for the first few years, til I got made redundant and pretty much went back to square one salary-wise.

There's a point in there somewhere, but I'm not sure what it is...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

My date said he is giving me a cd of a band we went to see....wonder if it is the same guy

Dont think so, as he hasnt seen this band, if its the same band,lol. Plus i was his first and only date (so far) from POF.

All good though, but will be after the weekend before we see each other again but cant wait already!!

• Advertisement

andreac wrote: »

Dont think so, as he hasnt seen this band, if its the same band,lol. Plus i was his first and only date (so far) from POF.

All good though, but will be after the weekend before we see each other again but cant wait already!!
    I enjoy my dates but I'm enjoying 1st dates with lots of guys at the moment. Hopefully I can then decide. I'm hoping to meet my Galway guy from pof this weekend in Galway :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement