Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread 3..**READ 1ST POST Oct 2012**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭magneticimpulse

Honey-ec wrote: »

That's very specific!

My husband was younger than me. ...
    Yeah because half of my friends (female) are 7 years younger and they thought I was their age and they have introduced me to their single guy friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Underpaid Mike

Said i would share a tiny bit of my experience with pof:
    First off on the site for about 6 months, used it for first 2 then not at all until a week ago.

Went on dates with 4/5 girls but no spark or they were just not for me after 1-3 dates each.
    BUT
    Also around May got txting a girl from up North. She had commitments at home which meant I couldnt actually organise a date but we stayed in touch. Went eventually on a date in late September, got on like a house on fire, she is stunning and spent an age kissing like teenagers. Cue 3 more dates pretty much the same but its a stuggle as its long distance and she is pretty busy.

Then got an email out of the blue from the site last week saying i had a msg, logged in out of curosity and wasnt interested. While there saw 4 girls who i thought looked amazing (im picky with stupidly high standards at times looks wise) emailed them. Suprisingly 1 replied, turned out we had loads in common, bout 200 txts later we went for dinner midweek, then 4 different pubs and eventually i got home around 4am. Best date i was ever on. Already signed up for 2 more dates with her.

Anyway turns out there are really great women on the site so worth the long drawn out effort as you can get lucky like I have. Twice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Daisy78

A lot of the posts here place a big emphasis on looks, it seems guys are looking for very high standards appearance wise. Do you discount average looking ladies on the basis of looks alone or does their profile matter at all? Some of the posts here by some of the male posters are a little disheartning :(

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Daisy78 wrote: »
    A lot of the posts here place a big emphasis on looks, it seems guys are looking for very high standards appearance wise. Do you discount average looking ladies on the basis of looks alone or does their profile matter at all? Some of the posts here by some of the male posters are a little disheartning :(

My potential woman must be sound of body and mind, so both! :pac:

#picky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Tbh, looks are pretty much the main thing to go on initially when browsing thumbnails on OD, for both genders.

Having said that, looks are also extremely subjective. One man's gorgeous is another's godawful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Tbh, looks are pretty much the main thing to go on initially when browsing thumbnails on OD, for both genders.

Having said that, looks are also extremely subjective. One man's gorgeous is another's godawful.

Agree with Honey on this.

Some celebrities can polarise opinions.
    Some lads think Scarlett Johansson is beautiful, others don't.

But they all seem to want stunners, not pretty or cute. And your fecked if you don't photograph well.

But they all seem to want stunners, not pretty or cute. And your fecked if you don't photograph well.

Daisy, i can guarantee you that every bloke on this site has mailed a girl that the rest of us would say, yup, she's gorgeous.

And i can also guarantee you that we have each one of us, mailed a girl that the others would say, yeah, she's ok i guess...

In the second case it is the proof of the adage that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I know that i have a "something about her" girl, a girl who the rest of my friends would never say was good looking but i always found her stunning. And i'd say that each one of us has the same.

I know that i have a "something about her" girl, a girl who the rest of my friends would never say was good looking but i always found her stunning. And i'd say that each one of us has the same.

Reminds me of a conversation I had with a mate of mine just a few days ago. He was on about this girl who he thinks is hot. I don't see it at all. Conversely, I think one of her friends is very hot. He thinks I'm mad for thinking such.
    Simply, there's no universal rule of thumb in terms of attractiveness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Nah girl, you need to relax, that's all! I'm by no means a 'stunner,' I'm distinctly average, and I've had absolutely no problems getting dates (even with the odd person from boards!). Looks are completely subjective.

For example, most of my mates like guys that are at LEAST 6'2, super muscly, with a 6-pack, light tan and brown eyes. I personally don't care what height somebody is, I'm not bothered about muscles, I HATE 6-packs, I don't really like tans and I don't care what colour eyes somebody has.

Everyone has their own thing that they find attractive. A guy here might talk about a 'gorgeous' girl they have their eye on or went on a date with, but that girl could be completely average or even unattractive to the rest of us.

We all just have different taste. :)

• Advertisement

TBH, I don't think I'm going to post here saying,"Had me a lovely date with a girl last night. She was smart, funny and on the upper side of mediocre in the looks department." :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

Trust me, there's not really that many stunners on it, and the few that are I never get a reply from anyway. I wouldn't mind a pretty or cute girl. As has already been stated, its all subjective.
    LyndaMcL wrote: »
    I HATE 6-packs.

I have a 4-pack, is that me ruled out? It's so hard to get definition in those damn lower abs. :pac:

Galvasean wrote: »
    TBH, I don't think I'm going to post here saying,"Had me a lovely date with a girl last night. She was smart, funny and on the upper side of mediocre in the looks department." :pac:

I wouldn't expect you too but a lot of the posts seem to focus on the looks thing, a lot of guys seem to have very high standards which is a little bit intimidating and a bit offputting. I'm not quasimodo but not elle mc phearson either which would appear to put me out of the running :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

I wouldn't expect you too but a lot of the posts seem to focus on the looks thing, a lot of guys seem to have very high standards which is a little bit intimidating and a bit offputting. I'm not quasimodo but not elle mc phearson either which would appear to put me out of the running :)

Its has also go to do with personality too , I would rather get into a relationship with somebody that I get along with then somebody who is beautiful but has the personality of a sack of potatoes ! Beauty can only get you so far in a relationship .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

A lot of men would say the same thing about women. All you can do is your best. You've nothing to lose by trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

Anyway turns out there are really great women on the site so worth the long drawn out effort as you can get lucky like I have. Twice

If you're prepared to fire off hundreds (and I'm not exaggerating in my piss-poor experience) of messages then yes, you'll end up somehow on a date or two.

There are lots of variables but the older you get the OD 'experience' is a hell of a struggle. And I'm not looks-obsessed as far as girls go at all.

If a girl looks good and would be generally regarded as 'hot' but cannot write a decent profile, has no interests which chime with mine then I don't bother messaging. It's a waste of time.

If an 'average' looking girl (and I realise this is most subjective) has a funny, intriguing profile with some shared interests then I will message her.

Not that it makes any difference though. I would echo what others have said that if you don't photograph well and actually look nicer IRL, then you are, essentially, going to find OD extremely hard work.

:(

[Quote=Mr_Spaceman;

I would echo what others have said that if you don't photograph well and actually look nicer IRL, then you are, essentially, going to find OD extremely hard work.

:([/Quote]

Oh dear, that's me done for so. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Not really. You're reading opinions here, not fact! EVERYONE has a different idea of what they find attractive, and everyone has something about them that will be attractive to SOMEONE.

Tbh, you sound so insecure and down on yourself that I wouldn't recommend you join any online dating sites til you have a bit more confidence. I really hope you don't take offence to that, I don't mean it to be rude at all.

LyndaMcL wrote: »

Not really. You're reading opinions here, not fact! EVERYONE has a different idea of what they find attractive, and everyone has something about them that will be attractive to SOMEONE.

Tbh, you sound so insecure and down on yourself that I wouldn't recommend you join any online dating sites til you have a bit more confidence. I really hope you don't take offence to that, I don't mean it to be rude at all.

Hmm maybe your right, maybe not a good option for me.

No, not at all. So don't worry!

I was speaking from a male perspective, and, believe me, OD is significantly skewed in favour of women. It's unfair that men have to work harder at it, but that's just how it is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

To be honest, I think "high standards" are a good thing. I'd hate to be on a date, or going out with someone, who thought "I get on great with this girl, love her personality and hey, sure she's average/above average looking".

I don't want to be with someone who settles for dating me because all the "stunners" don't want them. I want someone who finds me attractive and I want someone who I find attractive. Looks are very important to me but so is personality, as has been said no point in dating a stunner if they're a complete d1ck!

But at the end of the day, to echo other posters, looks are so subjective. And somebody who appears "average looking" in photos can turn out to be gorgeous in real life. And of course their personality can make them even more sexy ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

Fierce quiet in here lately. Are we all having a dry patch? I got told I was "too old" by a guy I messaged last night. He's two years younger than me.

I laughed and all.

What age are you?

I think the older men get the younger they seem to think a woman should be! I really don't know why!

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭LittleFox

Another one bites the dust, goodbye Galway guy. God it would be easier to just be a complete bitch at least I wouldn't care then

LittleFox wrote: »
    Another one bites the dust, goodbye Galway guy. God it would be easier to just be a complete bitch at least I wouldn't care then

Sorry to hear that littlefox.

His loss, littlefox.
    Onwards!

Yep onwards and upwards indeed

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Ah feck, it's as well to know sooner rather than later I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

What happened if you don't mind me asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 chakasklap

I would echo what others have said that if you don't photograph well and actually look nicer IRL, then you are, essentially, going to find OD extremely hard work.

I was bored one time and sent a message to a girl with a half filled out profile and no pic up - she made one random remark on her description and I made some lame joke about it. Cue three days of messages getting to know each other and me realising I've never got on with anyone so well - never met anyone who could make me smile and chuckle by just having a perspective like mine on how their day went.

She asks me if I want to see her picture - by then I wasn't bothered, but by all means send it. Could see she was attractive - it was an awful angle, barely smiling, self-taken - made no odds one way or the other, I was hooked.

A week or so later we meet up - in person she was only stunning. Conversation was easier than it had ever been - and got easier over a few quiet pints.

Got told I was never going to be more than a friend three days later - which I think is code for 'no physical attraction'. Continued texting for a few weeks because I'd have been totally happy with just being her mate she was so sound - and I'm not so dumb not to realise she was out of my league in the looks department. Eventually the texts were like pulling teeth, only getting replies to stuff I sent her so I stopped, waited and hoped. Still waiting. Hoping not so much.

Don't know if there's a lesson in that or not - but guess it could be a case where a pic worked too well, and the other not enough.

• Advertisement

mood wrote: »

What happened if you don't mind me asking?
    he started to do the fade messaging less, so asked him today if he still wanted to meet next Thursday so I could sort work. He says he would rather leave it as has been offered work teaching in Korea In Feb so doesn't want to start anything

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement