Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread 3..**READ 1ST POST Oct 2012**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭chocolatrose

Oh God people actually have pics up with their ex's..what on earth are they thinking???:eek:

I even saw a profile the other day of the fella in question putting a ring on a girls finger in what seemed to be a ceremony.. then looked down through his profile which said "just out of a very serious relationship so want to take things slowly and have some fun" or something to that effect. Made me wonder was this the girl he had just got out of the very serious relationship with:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭MarkyTheLips

Oh God people actually have pics up with their ex's..what on earth are they thinking???:eek:

I even saw a profile the other day of the fella in question putting a ring on a girls finger in what seemed to be a ceremony.. then looked down through his profile which said "just out of a very serious relationship so want to take things slowly and have some fun" or something to that effect. Made me wonder was this the girl he had just got out of the very serious relationship with:eek:

How do you know he wasn't taking the ring off :cool: definitely not over her by the sound of it!! Avoid avoid!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I have to admit I get a bit annoyed when I send what I think is a decent mail then I get a reply that's one or two words long. Although in my head I usually just assume they're not interested. Although one girl I did mail, messaged me back yesterday saying she's not interested but didn't want to appear rude and not reply. I guess that's fair enough but I'd rather she didn't reply as she had checked out my profile a few days ago after I sent her the message and hadn't replied so already assumed she wasn't interested. I didn't need to see it written down.

I also dislike the introductory mails I get from girls sometimes that just go "hi, how r u?" and quite often from people with no pics on their profile. I've said it before but I know if I sent a mail like that, I'd get no response. I quite often reply to those if their profile seems ok but I'm thinking about stopping doing that or putting a "no pic, no reply" thing on my profile.

Having said that, I'm probably going to delete my POF account in the next few days and give myself a break from it, regardless of how things go on Friday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭miaowsky

The crazies are back!! Is it a full moon or something?!
    Dear Potential Significant Other,

After meticulously examining your online dating profile, I have fallen under the impression that we would make wonderful offspring together. I would very much enjoy engaging in the normal boring courtship ritual in which I destroy half my paycheck on dinner and a movie with you while awkwardly building rapport with you in hopes of getting a kiss on the cheek at the end of the night. In the event that you have constructed enough trust, comfort, and connection with me,perhaps we can get married, buy a two story house, have 2.5 children, and a pet hamster. And after 10 years I will cheat on you with a young blond coke whore and you will take half my ****.

If you are interested, please let me know.

Yours Truly,
    XXXXXXX
    Hey :) would you like to dress me up like a girl? Xx​

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Northclare

That was some guy havin the craic lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Im seriously wondering about the mental state of some of the people on POF.

A guy messages me, who i never contacted before or had even seen, and he sends this, "I was likin til i saw the dog...:-("

I have a pic of my dog on my profile too. So i went to reply with this, "Whys that? Whats wrong with the dog? and i was blocked!!! Even before i replied.

What on earth is that all about:confused::confused:

This guy was 38 too, not a young lad, i just dont get it....

• Registered Users Posts: 29,023 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

andreac wrote: »
    Im seriously wondering about the mental state of some of the people on POF.

A guy messages me, who i never contacted before or had even seen, and he sends this, "I was likin til i saw the dog...:-("

I have a pic of my dog on my profile too. So i went to reply with this, "Whys that? Whats wrong with the dog? and i was blocked!!! Even before i replied.

What on earth is that all about:confused::confused:

This guy was 38 too, not a young lad, i just dont get it....

Maybe he has a thing for dogs and just didn't find yours attractive?

Was telling a friend at work about planning on signing up to POF. She was then talking to her boyfriend about the site and he said he heard of it from friends. That it's a "sh*g site". So yeah, looks like it has that rep

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Was telling a friend at work about planning on signing up to POF. She was then talking to her boyfriend about the site and he said he heard of it from friends. That it's a "sh*g site". So yeah, looks like it has that rep

"A site for shags you say?"

Shag-both-eyes-forward-_MG_0403---Saltee-Island----Ireland.jpg

"About damn time..."

A site for sore eyes too hur hur hur

Honestly the only way to meet someone is the good old fashioned way.

I got talking to a gorgeous native American yesterday eve in Doolin were going fly fishing together this eve.

She loves fishing and she is used to fishing for trout in Brooks,now she is off to throw a fly for an Atlantic Bass

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

I KNEW IT!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,948 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Yeah maybe it has that rep, but from what ive read on here and the lack of response ive got from my messages i doubt its that true, although now i think about i havent just being asking girls for a shag maybe thats my problem :P.
    Anyway id love to know how many "shags" the guys calling it a shag site have actually gotten.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

VinLieger wrote: »
    Anyway id love to know how many "shags" the guys calling it a shag site have actually gotten.

I hear that from lots of people about internet dating in general.

It's always the same line "My mate is on that site and is riding a different bird every week" etc..

I'd say most of it is BS

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Maybe he has a thing for dogs and just didn't find yours attractive?

But why the need to block me before i even contacted me, its weird if you ask me...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,795 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

andreac wrote: »
    But why the need to block me before i even contacted me, its weird if you ask me...

I wouldn't bother your time mulling it over to be honest, his loss.
    Chalk it down as an experience and move on to the next fish would be my motto!

Im not religious,maybe I'm more spiritual but a friend of mine is a born again Christian.
    He uses christian dating sites and is having a good run of dates and they seem to be fairly honest no agendas etc

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭supermommy

I am finding POF full of men who are fully misrepresenting themselves. Fake pics, old pics, lying about their profession...I'm sure the list could go on and on.
    I just don't get it, why lie about how you look, then meet up with someone?
    It's all so bitterly disappointing.
    :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

supermommy wrote: »
    I am finding POF full of men who are fully misrepresenting themselves. Fake pics, old pics, lying about their profession...I'm sure the list could go on and on.
    I just don't get it, why lie about how you look, then meet up with someone?
    It's all so bitterly disappointing.
    :(

The women on POF have a similar reputation. I don't really understand it myself either.

There are even guy's on plentyoffish who pretend to be women,have the full rigout on and all I'm serious :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Last week's date told me I'm better looking in person than in my pictures. He was too, mind you, which is always a bonus!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭chocolatrose

Ffs Why oh why do people have to completely misrepresent themselves??? I can't understand why men, in my case, don't just make it clear what they are after from the get go.. I mean why have up looking for a relationship if what you really want is nsa and drop the girl as soon as you get it..why are these lads doing this? I don't even have up looking for a relationship because I'm not as such, just open to possibilities. So I'm thinking the "nothing serious"part is drawing a lot of lads that think I'm totally up for a one off and then drop me like a shot. Sorry for the rant, where are all the decent fun guys hiding.. come out please and stay out haha

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Northclare wrote: »
    There are even guy's on plentyoffish who pretend to be women,have the full rigout on and all I'm serious :)

ive clicked on two transgender :eek: I was kinda shocked but hey....

But hey is right lol
    Did they show any interest in your profile :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper

Interesting article about the differing experiences between different genders and different levels of "attractiveness"

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/violetblue/ten-fake-profiles-one-okcupid-experiment-okcupid-on-trial/1405

okcupid_fake.jpeg
    Based on reading hundreds of eager messages, Millward concluded that a successful message should:
    • Demonstrate creativity, intelligence and great sense of humour
    • Be totally different to anything she may have received before
    • Be obviously unique and not a cut-and-paste job
    • Show that I’ve read her profile and absorbed facts about her
    • Not be needy!

Northclare wrote: »
    But hey is right lol
    Did they show any interest in your profile :)

Nope.. Im a red blood male

well pretend

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

So there has been lots of friendly chat firstly via POF, then FB and now text for a couple of weeks. We have finally arranged to meet this weekend. Interested to see how this pans out, she has a very good sense of humour and seems pretty laid back and down to earth. Watch this space.

Ok, so she has told me she is nervous, I've told her I'm nervous so the consensus is we are nervous. Haha.

In all seriousness I now know absolutely loads about her and am really looking forward to meeting up with her, and she has said the same to me.

So given all the positive build up to this, the only obvious outcome is that it is an absolute car crash when we finally do meet up!

:D

So there has been lots of friendly chat firstly via POF, then FB and now text for a couple of weeks. We have finally arranged to meet this weekend. Interested to see how this pans out, she has a very good sense of humour and seems pretty laid back and down to earth. Watch this space.

Ok, so she has told me she is nervous, I've told her I'm nervous so the consensus is we are nervous. Haha.

In all seriousness I now know absolutely loads about her and am really looking forward to meeting up with her, and she has said the same to me.

So given all the positive build up to this, the only obvious outcome is that it is an absolute car crash when we finally do meet up!

Being nervous is always good :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

The Master wrote: »
    I hear that from lots of people about internet dating in general.

It's always the same line "My mate is on that site and is riding a different bird every week" etc..

I'd say most of it is BS

It must be a dogging site he's on.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Perfectly alright to be nervous lad but just try and make it as relaxed as possible so you're both comfortable in each others company.

Think of it as meeting up with a friend (thanks Larianne ;)) and just (cliche) be yourself. If you know loads about her and she knows a bit about you then conversation should come naturally.

G'luck mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭smallgarden

Snowie wrote: »
    Being nervous is always good :)

There's times on first date I'm nervous and come out will all sorts of crazy stuff that I cringe inside after ive said it. I'm not great at small talk,much better at conversation once I get to know someone better so can have more meaningful conversation.had date with lovely guy last night but don't think I'll be hearing from him again

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

sharper wrote: »
    Interesting article about the differing experiences between different genders and different levels of "attractiveness"

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/violetblue/ten-fake-profiles-one-okcupid-experiment-okcupid-on-trial/1405

okcupid_fake.jpeg

dub5 I hope you're seeing this. It's a much more accurate experiment than the one we did. :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement